Anyone oc'ing E8400 yet?

BoostFrenzy

Weaksauce
They're popping up out there, should have a couple where I work tommorow, going to try one in my IP35

Ditto, I have one ordered for my IP35-E... will update this when I get some results :D

got one in my hands, will be runnin her tonight, not really caring if i break 3800-4000, that's PLENTY :cool:

You going to overclock a work computer? :D
Good luck on the overclock.

Ditto, I have one ordered for my IP35-E... will update this when I get some results :D

please update :) I have the same budget board, if all goes well I won't need to throw in more money for a DFI board.

There are ppl at XS that are getting them from MicroCenter.

-bZj

What's microcenter's return policy on cpu's?? :)

Once you pop, you can't stop. Once you open it, it's yours eternity, unless it defectice, then they only exchange it for you and the receipt will specifically say you can't return it. If you haven't opened it, you can always return it within 30 days of purchase.

They're popping up out there, should have a couple where I work tommorow, going to try one in my IP35

Hey BoostFrenzy, preliminary retail/oem shows that these chips don't overclock as well as expected. Remember that they are 45nm and you cannot pump the same amount of voltage to them as you can with a 65nm. For example, 1.55 through a 45nm chip is the same as 1.65 through a 65nm chip. People at xtremesystems have shown that the maximum attainable OC at safe voltage (1.45) is 3.8 Ghz. It was also revealed that E8400 is not stable at 4 Ghz at any voltage.

For now, as it seems, the early batch of 45nm cpus fell short of expectations.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=172882

Hi. I'm doing a break-in run right now, want to make sure it's all stable, and give the AS5 some time to do it's thing. I'm not sure if I'm going for "max", my goal is probably like 3.6GHz rock stable. Right now it's running 9x366 = 3.3GHz and the temps and power consumption look great. I'll push it to 3.6 and beyond later.

oh i posted in overclocking, doing 4ghz @ 1.3650v bios with mine, gets hot per coretemp but still under t-junction.. happy so far, 11.5 sec 1mb pi

Hey BoostFrenzy, preliminary retail/oem shows that these chips don't overclock as well as expected. Remember that they are 45nm and you cannot pump the same amount of voltage to them as you can with a 65nm. For example, 1.55 through a 45nm chip is the same as 1.65 through a 65nm chip. People at xtremesystems have shown that the maximum attainable OC at safe voltage (1.45) is 3.8 Ghz. It was also revealed that E8400 is not stable at 4 Ghz at any voltage.

http://www.hardforum.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1031939977

Wow that is dissapointing.

Wow that is dissapointing.

that's crap, mine's prime95 stable @ 4005mhz/444fsb with 1.3650 bios voltage/1.29-1.30 vdroop in my IP35, stock HSF

e8400-2.jpg

Hey Boost Frenzy is that an Audi A4 I spy there?

BTW I'm still shocked/ stunned at the really low power consumption.

[/quote]

http://www.ocforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=62111&stc=1&d=1200735400
From another forum, and i've seen a few other people with retail chips getting over 4ghz. Whatchu talkin bout willis?

For the people that have one already overclocked to 4ghz + may I ask you to share your experiences with it with real work apps(encoding, winrar). For example on my e6320 overclocked to 3.2ghz it takes me 9-10 secs to unrar a 100mb file and about 4 min to unrar a 5 gb rar file.

Seeing any marginal or greatly increased performance ?

For the people that have one already overclocked to 4ghz + may I ask you to share your experiences with it with real work apps(encoding, winrar). For example on my e6320 overclocked to 3.2ghz it takes me 9-10 secs to unrar a 100mb file and about 4 min to unrar a 5 gb rar file.

Seeing any marginal or greatly increased performance ?

it's 800mhz faster with 2mb more cache, you figure it out by downclocking your chip 800-900mhz and see haha.

At default voltage and speed, after a few hours of Orthos, core 0's temperature is 64c and core 1 is 58c. Isn't this way too hot? Not to mention that I'm using Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme as well.

At default voltage and speed, after a few hours of Orthos, core 0's temperature is 64c and core 1 is 58c. Isn't this way too hot? Not to mention that I'm using Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme as well.

I don't think temps are getting reported properly, mine says 90c under full load LOL

Perhaps a new software to determine if the temp report is correct or not? I have three programs so far (Everest Ultimate, Coretemp and SpeedFan433) all report the same reading. Unless the BIOS reports the wrong reading to all those programs, is there anything we should be suspicious of?

I've been getting weird temp readings. Coretemp says 37C and it never changes. Speedfan says 0C....

Running 3.6GHz right now, but I think I need to bump the voltage cause Prime 95 started throwing errors while running along side a folding client. I'm going to shoot for 3.7 for overnight burn.

http://www.hardforum.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1031939977
There are many ppl going over 4GHxz with them now over at XS. Some reach toward 5GHz. Luck of the draw - give them some time to hit the channels.

Up until last night, I didn't even dream about running a CPU at 4Ghz on air.
I still can't believe, I'm typing this on a 4Ghz system.
As I was paying for this CPU at a local Microcenter, I was telling myself that it was a waste of money. Now I don't regret at all.:cool:

This E8400 is doing 4Ghz w/ 1.34V (speedfan reading), and it's been rock solid for almost 12 hours on Prime 95. The maximum temperature it reached was around 54C, and idles at 33C (Core Temp) right now.

The latest Core Temp reading is about 5C higher than that of Speedfan beta 37. Which one is correct?:confused:

Those are engineering samples cooled with dry ice. You aren't likely to reach the same OC with a retail chip.

It can hit 4.5Ghz (with air only), I posted it somewhere before , anyway it’s in that same forum

Up until last night, I didn't even dream about running a CPU at 4Ghz on air.
I still can't believe, I'm typing this on a 4Ghz system.
As I was paying for this CPU at a local Microcenter, I was telling myself that it was a waste of money. Now I don't regret at all.:cool:

This E8400 is doing 4Ghz w/ 1.34V (speedfan reading), and it's been rock solid for almost 12 hours on Prime 95. The maximum temperature it reached was around 54C, and idles at 33C (Core Temp) right now.

The latest Core Temp reading is about 5C higher than that of Speedfan beta 37. Which one is correct?:confused:

I would trust CoreTemp.

So...what's the batch code on your chip? What does CoreTemp report the VID as? Most 8400s I've seen are 1.1125...

I am thinking about dropping my B3 Quad for one of these....

Sad.

4Ghz - 5GHz. That's just jaw dropping. I, too, would pick a C2D @ such speeds than 4 cores "bottlenecking" in the 3's :)

Seriously though? Quads still rule for multitasking, but C2D's rule for high-end gaming.

I've OC'd my E8400 on a shoddy GA-P35-DS3R motherboard to 4.05GHz via Easytune software, because for some stupid reason my motherboard can't save OC'd settings.

4.05GHz 450x9multi and 1080 ram. It's stable on Orthos for an hour and more. Unfortunately I am past 1.45V and actually at 1.47. It must be at 1.47 to do Orthos stable for long periods of time.

Luckily, my Zerotherm Nirvana 120 keeps the processor at 62 Celsius with my case closed and with the fan really low. High fan settings get me 60 Celsius.

Apparently there are better e8400 and worse e8400. You need to look at your box. Mine came with 1.225V core stock and some out there are 1.08V core. I assume the 1.08V are OC'ing better, but may be wrong. Don't know if this is "snake oil" from XS forum posters.

1.47 is a little high for my taste my processor will go to 4.2GHz and even booted into windows at 4.5GHz. I didn't dare Orthos on Air at 4.5GHz, because I didn't want to kill this chip.

If anyone plans to put 1.45 or more on their E8400 processor they better have some good cooling. I hope that after all the hype clears that we don't have another Intel Presshot debacle.

q746a, packed 1/10. ultima 90 w/ tt 92mm smartfan. first try, just picked a vcore at random. and yes, it is over 1.45v. and my cooling is ok. and my temps at load are 40c less than tmax, so the chip will be fine.

2233177473_82a5853f98_b.jpg

e8400-1.jpg

I just put mine in Weds night. But I worked late both days, so I've only had about an hour each day to play with it.

I could probably hit 4Ghz with mine, but I'm not happy with the temps already at 3.9Ghz. Maybe I'll try reseating my heatsink, it might not be getting good enough contact. Damn Scythe Infinity... huge cooler with only the pushpin design. (no backplate, etc)

Currently hitting 65C after a few hours of prime with settings: 9x433, 1.375v in BIOS, shows as about 1.275v in windows after vdroop, etc..

I'll have more time this weekend hopefully to tinker with it & hit 4Ghz.

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I'm activly OC'ing my e8400 with pretty good results.

Before i had any clue about safe voltages for the e8400, i was pumping a vCore of 1.6x through it and had it stable for a few days at 4.6. Soon the computer became unstable and i had to keep lowering the voltage + Clock speed. I think i fried my CPU a little bit, but after some testing today and yesterday, I have a stable OC (with safe vCore of below 1.45) at 4.2. And i got headroom.

Currently at 1.36 (vDroop shows 1.32) with a 4.2 stable OC.

--Bob The Savage

Back