Anyone need a front panel VR hookup?

Discussion in 'VR & Head-Mounted Displays' started by VanGoghComplex, Dec 8, 2018.

1. VanGoghComplex

VanGoghComplex [H]ard|Gawd

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    Domingo and Supercharged_Z06 like this.
  2. Domingo

Domingo Skip My Posts

That's pretty cool. Once I take the plunge I'll definitely be grabbing something like that.

3. Joust

Joust [H]ard|Gawd

Nice find. I have a tempered glass case, so no go for me. Maybe I can mount something similar on my desk.

4. VanGoghComplex

I was considering mounting this to my desk if there wasn't room in my case, but I got lucky and it just barely fit. It's made to go through a nice thick panel.

5. Spun Ducky

Spun Ducky Limp Gawd

Based on the size of that it wouldn't be a big stretch to cut a hole in a glass panel to fit it and use some epoxy to hold it in place.

6. Joust

Joust [H]ard|Gawd

The existing glass is tempered and I'm not feeling making a new panel to cut a hole in it.

7. VanGoghComplex

You wouldn't need epoxy. If you can cut the hole clean enough, it's got a nice plastic nut that threads over the barrel on the backside and secures it.

I looked at other ports that would have required me to cut rectangles, but settled on this one because hole saws are easy. =)

8. ProfessorUtopia

ProfessorUtopia [H]Lite

I used one of these to mount this type of extension cable to my desk:

IMG_20181211_195953.jpg

Apart from giving me the couple extra feet of reach I needed to utilize my whole space comfortably, I like that using these protects the ports on my video card should the cable ever get violently yanked on.

9. VanGoghComplex

Hey, nice find!

10. Spun Ducky

Spun Ducky Limp Gawd

Thinking about it more I need to get a few of these for my test bench monitors. I use 1 monitor for system testing and 1 other that hooks to my microscope camera.

11. bobzdar

bobzdar [H]ard|Gawd

I actually went for a vive link box instead as it's powered, but it lets you extend pretty far (I've gone 10' so far). I tested with oculus and windows mr headsets, so doesn't work with just vive. It also came with a sticky pad so you could fasten it to the top or side of your case easily enough with the ports flush with the front.

I like the solution in the OP, but it wouldn't move the connection close enough to my room scale area, unfortunately.

Tags: