Anyone moving to Ryzen? Got gold pins?

UnrealCpu

2[H]4U
FC-PGA Ryzen using decade old technology.
Hope you guys dont break off your pins
there is over 1300
XC68020_bottom_p1160085.jpg

5d6286de0513ddb608dc6fe772f77907.d1d7be4be2f168d8910fd845643ca8a5.jpg

I wish they moved to having the pins on the motherboard since the CPUs will be way more expensive than the motheboards (at least the 8C / 16T ones). However it didn't happen..

Although I've never had a problem with bending pins, many other people have. This should be interesting.

The pins on AMx, FMx, etc are far smaller and less prone to trouble than Socket 370 / Socket 7, and below. If they keep the same package type (and that's what I expect) this shouldn't be a problem.

On another note, why is an AMD discussion posted under Intel?

Theoreticaly this decade old design wouldn't be safer against burned pins and cpu's because of some weakened/bad motherboard socket pins when doing heavy overclock and therefore you actually risk less loosing your valuable cpu or motherboard?

I have successfully fix many cpus with that method but have NEVER successfully fixed bent socket pins on an intel board.
Yeah, I got a pair needle nose tweezers and a huge ass magnifying glass for that work.

I don't see how anyone can say motherboard with pins is better. Hard as fuck to repair when bent (not that I have ever bent any)

Compared to CPU pins it is much harder.
Yes, it is such a difficult operation, that I suggest you never undertake it. ;)

It is not that big of a friggin deal with the right tools. Wrong tools, a huge PITA.

I remember bending a row of pins on an AMD processor, just took a swiss army knife and bent them back. They were a straight bend though, not like those curvy ones in that video. I didn't know Intel had pins on the board, wouldn't want to fix this.

I used to use credit cards, jewelers tweezers, blades, mech pencils like Kyle above... anything and whatever. It was usually a simple fix.

So where is your "easy to do" video? You keep linking one from nearly a decade ago regarding pins, make one for socket pins to show how super easy it is.

Reactions: rat
like this
question....how the fuck do you bend the pins? I have never bent any pins since P3 socket, P4, Athlon barton (or any of the earlier AMD chips...don't even recall the names), athlon X whatever, nahalem and IB laptops CPUs

Are people retarded?

This is like 15ish CPUs I have removed and installed several times.

I have shorted boards before but never bent a pin.

question....how the fuck do you bend the pins? I have never bent any pins since P3 socket, P4, Athlon barton (or any of the earlier AMD chips...don't even recall the names), athlon X whatever, nahalem and IB laptops CPUs

Are people retarded?

This is like 15ish CPUs I have removed and installed several times.

I have shorted boards before but never bent a pin.

You might need superman vision to fix pins this small. Look at the socket for Ryzen. If someone drops or even puts in this new ryzen processor wrong with the slightest push , i can only imagine the pins would collapse on themselves making it impossible to repair.

Does AMD cover or warranty a processor that has bent pins? This might change my buying decision . Never mind found out on google..

looks like the consumer should probably think about buying retail warranties through the vendor i.e. newegg, and microcenter just to name a few, because AMD will not cover this by warranty

http://support.amd.com/en-us/warranty/pib/step2

ASRock-Fatal1ty-AB350-Gaming-K4-872x1140.jpg

http://support.amd.com/en-us/warranty/pib/step2

Bent and/or Damaged Pins
damaged_pins_286x.png

Hopefully with pins on the CPU we won't hear that god awful crunching sound when putting the clamp down like on an Intel LGA processor.

Give me pins over 'oh fuck grid array' any day. Pins are fixable if you're careful, lga has low success rate in this regard...

That said have not had any major issues with each.

So much this that one like is not enough so her is one more
+1

I thought they were doing an early release because too much stress on the hardware community and people were going to be banned on the Semiaccurate forums. Anticipation.

Give me pins over 'oh fuck grid array' any day. Pins are fixable if you're careful, lga has low success rate in this regard...

That said have not had any major issues with each.
I've got no problems with AMD not moving desktop parts to LGA setup just yet, even though they apparently did with the Opterons a while ago. It's less issues they have to deal with when they really need a win right now. I would hate to see their new CPU socket cause headaches for people to ditch AMD altogether.

The pins on the CPU's are much easier to bend back if there's a problem. Find an old mechanical pencil without any lead and it's insanely simple or needle nose pliers if you are really brave. You only have to worry about moving the pins to a straight up and down position. LGA pins are at an angle, and those sockets are extremely difficult to even get in there and bend them back.

I haven't had any problems with either system, but I know a lot of people that had issues with the early LGA sockets and had to RMA or replace entire motherboards. I'd rather have 20,000 spaced out pins on the CPU than ever deal with that nightmare.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Oh noes.. pins on a CPU.

Much easier to fix AND see than slightly out of place LGA socket pins.

I wonder if the pencil tool will work , in not since the pins will be even smaller due to the new architecture we might have an issue. Be ready to purchase extra warranties. At least with intel chips with no pins , you can easily RMA 200-1700.00 processor since no physical damage will be noticeable on the chip

Meh,

I've never bent a pin on a CPU. I'm not worried.

Honestly, I feel like fixing a bent motherboard pin with Intel's design would be much harder than straightening a pin on a CPU.

These work great for long term storage due to the foam . I bought several of these to protect and store older intel processors from p4 to LGA 1151 as well as my K6-2,k63, XP2400 processors
20 of these on ebay cost 22.99 from california

s-l1600.jpg

Never bent a pin in my life. I have known people who pulled their CPU right out of the socket, HSF attached, and bent pins though. I always use a hair dryer to soften the thermal paste before removing the HSF, on AMD and Intel systems. Especially if you know Arctic Silver x was used as the thermal paste. That stuff bonds like super glue after a few months. :)

Just to add to my comment, there's a video somewhere of a person using a bank/credit card to straighten pins.

Never bent a pin in my life. I have known people who pulled their CPU right out of the socket, HSF attached, and bent pins though. I always use a hair dryer to soften the thermal paste before removing the HSF, on AMD and Intel systems. Especially if you know Arctic Silver x was used as the thermal paste. That stuff bonds like super glue after a few months. :)

Just to add to my comment, there's a video somewhere of a person using a bank/credit card to straighten pins.

When I was doing warranty repair on Dell machines I had one call where a person had ordered a XEON system and it wouldn't boot.

I get there and find that the heatsink with CPU still attached had come out of the socket in shipping.

I spent over an hour straitening out 50+ bent pins. Finally got them all straight enough for the thing to go back in the socket and, much to my surprise, it booted right up.

Credit cards, a small flathead screwdriver, and a lot of patience was all that was needed back then.

A majority of the cases you see, computer builds have a ton of greasy finger / palm prints all over inside. A lot of guys rush their builds which I've personally never understood so I am not surprised there is some worry over this since many here probably know ahead of time their next build is going to being something they race thru and slam to completion as fast as possible.

I've bent 2 pins, maybe 3 over 25 years across maybe 280 - 320 builds. So it can happen and that was with me being extremely careful and or a cpu came in with pre-bent pin(s)

Slow ... the ... hell .... down FFS.

My shit is always well thought out ( cable management ) with me taking my sweet ass time. My personal builds are so clean I could enter them into a car show if it were a car.

Only tweaker redbull drinking dorito eating bro dudes bend pins.

I think which one is easier to fix is probably the wrong conversation. LGA is much easier for running tests on large number of parts, due to the way sockets are usually designed, and it means a massive reduction in costs due to the reduction in QA inspection times. When you sell a million CPUs in a quarter, reducing your costs by even a few cents is pretty tangible.

And yes, I understand this shifts costs to the board manufacturers, but that's not really Intel's problem, is it? Given the parity of board/CPU cost for AMD, they might have a harder time of it.

Am I the only one that wipes the bottom contacts of a Intel CPU with isopro before installing it?

Back