Anyone make the switch from 5800X3D to 7800X3D?

Move from 5800X3D to 7800X3D?

• Total voters

KickAssCop

[H]F Junkie
How is it going? Was just sitting around and thinking maybe I should order 7800X3D, GSkill 6000 C30 and Asus Strix X670E-A motherboard.

Do I need it? No.
Do I want it? Yes.
Does any game need extra frames? Not really unless I replay Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk RT overdrive which I won’t.
Will it matter at 4K? Probably not.
Will I notice a difference in 4K DLDSR or 1440P 240 Hz gaming? Probably not.

So what are other people experiences with this switch?

I almost upgraded from my 5800X3D (-20 offset) and X570S with 128GB 3600MHz C16 RAM. But it'd cost over over $1200 with the motherboard that I want (built in 10GbE), and I'd have to settle for 64GB of RAM (not that I really need more than that at the moment) - and it's just not worth the marginal increase in some games at 4K. Doubly so since I'm actually quite happy with my current performance using a 4090.

I figure that the next X3D with the 8000 series, or whatever it gets called, will bring a good bit more performance to the table. Heck, prices may come down as well with that recession on the way.

I didn't upgrade from a 5800X3D but instead from a vanilla 5800X. 5800X to 5800X3D wasn't worth the upgrade to me so I held out and waited for 7800X3D and it's been a pretty significant leap in CPU bound scenarios. I game at 4K and yes even at this resolution I still ran into CPU limited areas on a 4090. It's going to heavily depend on what you play but a lot of games I played recently seem to not be well optimized on the cpu side of things so the upgrade was well worth it for me as I have a feeling subpar optimization is going to keep being a thing moving forward. This TPU graph sorta highlights just how massive the jump is when you are CPU limited. 5800X3D to 7800X3D is a more significant jump over 5800X to 5800X3D as well.

1681703621181.png

In the process of doing so. Already have the 7800X3D on hand. Thought I had a motherboard chosen, but read of some compatibility issues so I’m waiting for the new BIOS to roll out or for another motherboard to pop up that meets my needs.

I’m doing it as it’ll give my 4090 a bit more room to stretch its legs in some games. I don’t need it, but thats what disposable income is for.

How is it going? Was just sitting around and thinking maybe I should order 7800X3D, GSkill 6000 C30 and Asus Strix X670E-A motherboard.

Did you not get enough acceptable responses in your last thread? https://hardforum.com/threads/movin...3900k-build-worth-it.2024718/#post-1045623088

The 5800X3D is a fantastic chip and it's pretty excessive to perform an entire platform upgrade when you're coming from a chip that is barely one generation old, but it's your money to blow. There are multiple games where the 5800X3D already outperforms the 13900k as well as all non-3D cache AM5 chips. Averages don't really tell the whole story when there is such a great variance on how each game reacts to 3D cache. What matters more is if you play those games or not.

People's advice has been pretty clear-cut for the most part. But it sounds like you've got money burning a hole in your pocket and are looking for people to pat you on the back and say "go for it!". Well, you don't need anyone else's permission to waste your money if that's what you really want to do.

Last edited:
Did you not get enough acceptable responses in your last thread? https://hardforum.com/threads/movin...3900k-build-worth-it.2024718/#post-1045623088

The 5800X3D is a fantastic chip and it's pretty excessive to perform an entire platform upgrade when you're coming from a chip that is barely one generation old, but it's your money to blow. There are multiple games where the 5800X3D already outperforms the 13900k as well as all non-3D cache AM5 chips. Averages don't really tell the whole story when there is such a great variance on how each game reacts to 3D cache. What matters more is if you play those games or not.

People's advice has been pretty clear-cut for the most part. But it sounds like you've got money burning a hole in your pocket and are looking for people to pat you on the back and say "go for it!". Well, you don't need anyone else's permission to waste your money if that's what you really want to do.
This is a different thread. It's asking from people who made the switch.
Also you don't need to worry about what I need or don't need.

In the process of doing so. Already have the 7800X3D on hand. Thought I had a motherboard chosen, but read of some compatibility issues so I’m waiting for the new BIOS to roll out or for another motherboard to pop up that meets my needs.

I’m doing it as it’ll give my 4090 a bit more room to stretch its legs in some games. I don’t need it, but thats what disposable income is for.
Which motherboard are you going for?
I am split between Strix A and Tomahawk.

I didn't upgrade from a 5800X3D but instead from a vanilla 5800X. 5800X to 5800X3D wasn't worth the upgrade to me so I held out and waited for 7800X3D and it's been a pretty significant leap in CPU bound scenarios. I game at 4K and yes even at this resolution I still ran into CPU limited areas on a 4090. It's going to heavily depend on what you play but a lot of games I played recently seem to not be well optimized on the cpu side of things so the upgrade was well worth it for me as I have a feeling subpar optimization is going to keep being a thing moving forward. This TPU graph sorta highlights just how massive the jump is when you are CPU limited. 5800X3D to 7800X3D is a more significant jump over 5800X to 5800X3D as well.

View attachment 564815
You play at 720p?

I don't find these charts particularly useful. The 5800x3d actually has a larger gap between it and a 5800x at more normal resolutions.

I did the switch, no regrets. I like my AM5 motherboard significantly more than my AM4 motherboard, the chipset runs cooler, no loud chipset fan, better ASPM support, 30%-40% lower DPC latency, better memory tuning options, PBO is also a bit better on AM5, in general it feels more feature complete than AM4. The additional performance from the 7800X3D is just a nice bonus. Games that have RT that caused CPU bottlenecks with the 4090 at 4K, have much higher minimum framerates now. Some examples would be on the 5800X3D my FPS with the 5800X3D would hit 39 FPS on the Mendoza level from a CPU bottleneck, the same area on the 7800X3D stays above 60FPS. Another example is Hogwarts Legacy, Hogs Mead on the 5800X3D would dip into the 35 FPS range with RT enabled. Now the 7800X3D keeps the same area 55+ FPS. Same goes for all games with RT, can't find one that doesn't have a huge uplift in performance in minimums with RT enabled.

But dropping $500 on a CPU, another $250-500 on a motherboard and $180 on a memory kit, probably isn't worth it for most people. I did it because I plan to drop in future X3D cpus over the platforms lifetime anyways so wanted to get invested in it now.

Last edited:
You play at 720p?

I don't find these charts particularly useful. The 5800x3d actually has a larger gap between it and a 5800x at more normal resolutions.

720p graphs were meant to demonstrate CPU limited scenarios which you can run into at 4K with a 4090. Of course most of the time you probably won't be CPU limited, just that a lot of games this year seen to be. If anything showing 4K graphs would be less even useful.

Last edited:
One x element would when the Ryzen 5 launch and if them and new motherboard will be better at supporting higher frequency DDR-5, which is almost certain.

But if you are the type of people that entertain upgrading a 1 years old CPU, maybe it is irrelevant (if Ryzen5-new chipset bring something relevant, you can just have fun building a new system again and your 7800x3d-mobo-ram will still be easy to sale at a good price, like I imagine your 5800x3d is right now)

I did the switch, no regrets. I like my AM5 motherboard significantly more than my AM4 motherboard, the chipset runs cooler, no loud chipset fan, better ASPM support, 30%-40% lower DPC latency, better memory tuning options, PBO is also a bit better on AM5, in general it feels more feature complete than AM4. The additional performance from the 7800X3D is just a nice bonus. Games that have RT that caused CPU bottlenecks with the 4090 at 4K, have much higher minimum framerates now. Some examples would be on the 5800X3D my FPS with the 5800X3D would hit 39 FPS on the Mendoza level from a CPU bottleneck, the same area on the 7800X3D stays above 60FPS. Another example is Hogwarts Legacy, Hogs Mead on the 5800X3D would dip into the 35 FPS range with RT enabled. Now the 7800X3D keeps the same area 55+ FPS. Same goes for all games with RT, can't find one that doesn't have a huge uplift in performance in minimums with RT enabled.

But dropping $500 on a CPU, another $250-500 on a motherboard and $180 on a memory kit, probably isn't worth it for most people. I did it because I plan to drop in future X3D cpus over the platforms lifetime anyways so wanted to get invested in it now.
Can you give more examples of games where you are seeing better minimums? I am happy to run same on my system and log some minimums as well.

Unfortunately, I can’t run Hogwarts at 4K since it doesn’t have a proper full screen mode and I use DLDSR for 4K in most games as my main monitor is 1440P 240 Hz. If I have time I will connect my CX and try to go to Hogsmead.

Other games are welcome.

One x element would when the Ryzen 5 launch and if them and new motherboard will be better at supporting higher frequency DDR-5, which is almost certain.

But if you are the type of people that entertain upgrading a 1 years old CPU, maybe it is irrelevant (if Ryzen5-new chipset bring something relevant, you can just have fun building a new system again and your 7800x3d-mobo-ram will still be easy to sale at a good price, like I imagine your 5800x3d is right now)
I am not getting a good price for it. Will probably get 450 for it and end up spending 900-1100 on new setup based on which motherboard I go for.

Not exactly cheap for 5% gain at 4K. I do want to explore the better minimum angle though. TPU has some info but I can never replicate their performance on my systems so whatever settings he uses are irrelevant to me 100% of the time.

Just wait to see the next gen, supposed to be end of the year or beginning of next year. Your 5800X3D is doing fine for you and Zen 5 is supposed to be a significant jump in performance.

Just wait to see the next gen, supposed to be end of the year or beginning of next year. Your 5800X3D is doing fine for you and Zen 5 is supposed to be a significant jump in performance.

Yeah and since he isn't able to get a good price for selling the whole setup, that makes it even less worth it. I've typically made upgrades aren't really worth it because I had someone to sell the old stuff to. I never upgraded to a 5800X3D since I had nobody to sell the 5800X to, and I only upgraded from a 3700x to a 5800x in the first place because I was able to sell that.

I’m personally skipping the first gen CPU’s on AM5. The real performance bump will come with zen5/5c. However, the single core IPC increase with zen 4 might be worth it if you’re feeling sluggish with a 5800x3d. If the 4090 is very cpu bound right now, a years wait might be worth it to feed it even more with a zen5 cpu. Who knows, maybe am5 board prices might even drop to reasonable levels like ddr5 prices did over a year.

I am not getting a good price for it. Will probably get 450 for it and end up spending 900-1100 on new setup based on which motherboard I go for.

Not exactly cheap for 5% gain at 4K. I do want to explore the better minimum angle though. TPU has some info but I can never replicate their performance on my systems so whatever settings he uses are irrelevant to me 100% of the time.

I would do it but go with a B650 board, the boot times are better and theres very little to miss out on. Saves a couple hundred $$ right there. I'm kind of in the same boat, I just want to give it a try but I already have not one but two whole rigs sitting here, one 13900k/4090 and one 12700k/6900XT. I'm thinking about selling or parting the 12700k machine to subsidize an AM5 build somewhat.

Can you give more examples of games where you are seeing better minimums? I am happy to run same on my system and log some minimums as well.

Unfortunately, I can’t run Hogwarts at 4K since it doesn’t have a proper full screen mode and I use DLDSR for 4K in most games as my main monitor is 1440P 240 Hz. If I have time I will connect my CX and try to go to Hogsmead.

Other games are welcome.
I don't have many games installed right now for testing since I recently wiped my machine. But another example would be in Cyberpunk 2077 driving through corpo plaza on a 4090+5800X3D the GPU usage would drop to 70% on some streets in the vicinity and drop into the 70-80 FPS range at 4K DLSS Quality with RT Psycho. Now driving down the same streets with the 7800X3D the GPU usage stays at 95% or higher and stay over 100FPS.

If you're upgrading for just performance improvements it might not be worth it. The 5800X3D is still a good CPU and will offer a good experience. The 7800X3D just improves on it and makes the gaming experience more consistent. If you ever notice your GPU usage drop below 95% on the 5800X3D. Those drops will be reduced or eliminated.

The biggest benefit of the AM5/7800X3D is the reduced DPC latency, not many people talk about it for gaming performance. But this is important for consistent frametimes, input latency and audio quality. I would say the average AMD (AM4/AM5) user has a DPC latency average between 1.25-3.0us depending on their settings, even with the 7800X3D. But with some tweaks the 7800X3D can get to sub .65us without disabling power saving features and SMT. While the 5800X3D would be in the 1.05us-1.15us range with the same settings. This should be the selling point of the platform but I don't think most people understand it so AMD doesn't talk about it. The DPC latency is much more in line with Intel this generation. I've never had a system in that produces such consistent frametimes without the need for RTSS than the AM5/7800X3D, it makes the AM4/5800X3D look like trash in this regard and the 5800X3D was pretty good at this.

Last edited:
I've noticed this behavior in a lot of games actually on my 5900x and 5800x3d. The 4090 in most situations @1440p will be happily running hard under maxed out rt settings, but occasionaly I'll see a dip and the gpu usage spikes downward. I have a corsair display on my keyboard doing a running graph of the cpu and gpu loads and it seems to go hand in hand where the cpu just hits it's limit and the gpu is left waiting.

I've been assembling parts for my 7800x3d upgrade, but have been lazy about it as it's spring car season and been kept busy on that part of life.

I don’t know what games you are playing but I am not finding any game that has those issues. I even tried Cyberpunk and my GPU usage at 4K is 99%.

I will try the plaza thing next but knowing that poorly coded game is not a benchmark for anything.

I don’t know what games you are playing but I am not finding any game that has those issues. I even tried Cyberpunk and my GPU usage at 4K is 99%.

I will try the plaza thing next but knowing that poorly coded game is not a benchmark for anything.
I included a few areas in images with the 7800X3D. The spot in CP2077 would drop to around 70FPS on the 5800X3D, now it's 100+ with the 7800X3D. The spot in Hitman 3 would drop to around 35-40 FPS on the 5800X3D. The spot in The Witcher 3 would drop to around 40 FPS on the 5800X3D, you can see there still is an issue there by the GPU usage in that screenshot. The FPS in CP2077 is actually higher when I overclock my GPU as well as Hitman 3, but my GPU is undervolted at the moment since I'm not playing anything demanding.

Cyberpunk 2077. Not sure what settings you are running but with 4K and Overdrive RT, I am getting anywhere from 60-80 FPS at different areas in the game. The GPU was pegged at 98-99% and CPU hovered between 19-29% which means the game is definitely not CPU bound and GPU is doing best it can. These numbers are also inline with in game benchmark where I score about 71 FPS with same settings.

Not sure about other games and where you are taking those shots. Unless you tell me exact location it is impossible for me to try and search for those locations.

Cyberpunk 2077. Not sure what settings you are running but with 4K and Overdrive RT, I am getting anywhere from 60-80 FPS at different areas in the game. The GPU was pegged at 98-99% and CPU hovered between 19-29% which means the game is definitely not CPU bound and GPU is doing best it can. These numbers are also inline with in game benchmark where I score about 71 FPS with same settings.

Not sure about other games and where you are taking those shots. Unless you tell me exact location it is impossible for me to try and search for those locations.
Are you using frame generation or something? I tested with RT Psycho with DLSS Quality at 4K, no frame generation.

Just fired up some Kingdom Come Deliverance again and Rattay city still destroys the 7800X3D :( but hey 83% usage on the 4090 is the closest I've ever come so far in this game lol.

Attachments

• 20230418_212552.jpg
    20230418_212552.jpg
    562.1 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: Otto
like this
Played with pyscho RT and DLSS Quality at 4K. Hit about 95 fps in bench and mostly hovered around 90-110 fps in game. There was a split second when fps dropped to 80 while driving but not sure where it was. Mostly ran 90-110 fps while driving.
Also ran around town and it was 90-110 fps. Still unable to find a proper review that worked on min fps. Btw with psycho my cpu utilization went up to 50% whereas, with overdrive it was 19-30%. Either way clearly not CPU bound.

Played with pyscho RT and DLSS Quality at 4K. Hit about 95 fps in bench and mostly hovered around 90-110 fps in game. There was a split second when fps dropped to 80 while driving but not sure where it was. Mostly ran 90-110 fps while driving.
Also ran around town and it was 90-110 fps. Still unable to find a proper review that worked on min fps. Btw with psycho my cpu utilization went up to 50% whereas, with overdrive it was 19-30%. Either way clearly not CPU bound.

I wouldn't expect CP2077 to be CPU bound especially when pushing RT to the max. Probably just a few specific areas that are more like outliers and not the norm.

Yes, I am just trying to prove/disprove the minimum fps theory at 4K. I just don't see it. At 1440P maybe but then again everything runs around 160-240 fps for me at 1440P so I don't really care much for it.
Trying my best to pull the trigger on a 7800X3D but don't have many reasons to at this point.

Yes, I am just trying to prove/disprove the minimum fps theory at 4K. I just don't see it. At 1440P maybe but then again everything runs around 160-240 fps for me at 1440P so I don't really care much for it.
Trying my best to pull the trigger on a 7800X3D but don't have many reasons to at this point.

Honestly if I already had a 5800X3D I wouldn't be looking to upgrade either. But I came from a 5800X and was able to sell the whole X570 setup for a decent amount so that helped cement my decision.

Can you post some benches with min fps. Like usual games

Farcry 6
Ass Creed Valhalla
Witcher 3 RTX
Cyberpunk RTX
Forza Horizon 5
Anything else you fancy

4K balls to the wall type setup. On my cell I can’t see your graphics card so let me know if you don’t have a 4090.

Sure I'll start uploading some. SOTTR is lower than what you expect because it was being ran with DLAA through DLSS Tweaks instead of the typical DLSS mode.

1682236867823.png

1682236931754.png

1682236978133.png

1682237015896.png

1682237202436.png

1682237257001.png

1682237379920.png

Last edited:
That was a very different group of benchmarks.
I tried to run as high settings as possible. The only one where I don't know what happened is MOH benchmark. First time I ran it and it gave a score of 39K+.
Deus Ex I only turned off AA in DX12 mode. Rest was maxed out.
Can't run Valley as it won't go to 4K even when using windows at 4K.
Last one I don't know which benchmark it is.

Rest are below.

Attachments

• Deus Ex.jpg
    Deus Ex.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Farcry 6.jpg
    Farcry 6.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Cyberpunk.jpg
    Cyberpunk.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 0
  • SOTTR.jpg
    SOTTR.jpg
    351.6 KB · Views: 0
Here are Valley and WD Legions.
Seems Ubi games, DXMD and Monster Hunter benefit from the new processor. Rest is a bit of a wash really.

Worth 500 bucks incremental cost? I put up my 5800X3D board, proc and ram for sale. If it goes, will order the 7800X3D, otherwise will wait for new gen.

Edit: Added a bonus FH5 bench.

Attachments

• WD Legions.jpg
    WD Legions.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Valley.jpg
    Valley.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Deus Ex MD DX11.jpg
    Deus Ex MD DX11.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 1
  • FH5.jpg
    FH5.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Ended up returning my 7800X3D just now. Way too much going on behind the scenes by motherboard partners and AMD to fix the CPUs dying with limited transparency on what is actually going on. There is also little communication on when everything will be reliably fixed. I’ll wait until everything is completely fixed before dropping money on an AM5 upgrade. My 5800X3D is more than enough to hold me off until then.

The problem is high SOC voltage. Limit it to 1.3 or less and you should be fine.

Ended up returning my 7800X3D just now. Way too much going on behind the scenes by motherboard partners and AMD to fix the CPUs dying with limited transparency on what is actually going on. There is also little communication on when everything will be reliably fixed. I’ll wait until everything is completely fixed before dropping money on an AM5 upgrade. My 5800X3D is more than enough to hold me off until then.

Well when they don't even know what the problem is exactly what kind of response are you expecting? I'm sure they will take care of those who are affected by this issue but the limited transparency about what is going on is due to the fact that nobody actually knows what is going on, everyone is just guessing right now. Asus claims it's SoC voltage/EXPO but I don't believe that as there are people who had their CPUs detonate on first boot up with no EXPO enabled. Rather than panic return you should have at least checked to see what voltages your SoC is running at, and if it hasn't fried by now then low chance it's going to fry later. I've been running my 7800X3D since launch day EXPO enabled with SoC voltage sitting at 1.245v and only hitting 60C in games. It's been about 3 weeks now and I've done a lot of gaming so if my 7800X3D hasn't popped yet I don't believe it will any time soon.

The problem is high SOC voltage. Limit it to 1.3 or less and you should be fine.
Nah I’m good, not going to spend $1K+ on an upgrade where I “should” be fine. I’ll just wait for it all to be resolved then jump back in.

Back