Anyone have pics of Westinghouse 37" LCD??

Deutch420 said:
I was just reading up on the LVM-42w2 42" one. Man that thing sounds awesome. I just cant justify spending $1,200 for 5 more inches.. 1600 for the westy 37"( can be had for less from J&R). 2,800 for the 42".. :(

I'm waiting for the 42" to come out to see how it is, and to see if the 37" will drop in price. The MSRP on the 37" was around $2300, and now you can get it for $1499 at J&R. So hopefully the 42" will see a similar drop after a short while.

FuSoYaii said:
I'm waiting for the 42" to come out to see how it is, and to see if the 37" will drop in price. The MSRP on the 37" was around $2300, and now you can get it for $1499 at J&R. So hopefully the 42" will see a similar drop after a short while.

good point. I guess it comes down to urgency and how patient i can be... LOL

Im in the mood for a new piece of electronics!!

bah why did i have to read this thread, i am soon to be out 1500+$ now..

i blame all of you :)

I was so close to buying one until I read some CES coverage of SED technology. They were really drooling over the picture quality. Engadget guys said the difference between LCD and SED is like the difference between standard definition and HD. They seems really blown away.

We probably won't see product until the end of the year but they say the manufacturing cost is about the same as LCD. I couldn't bear buying the Westy only to "need" an SED in only 2 years. Then again I do not like being an early on tech. I remember buying a 10MB (MEGAbyte) hard drive for $300 and my first CD-ROM drive was $300 too. LOL

I have a Viewsonic P19f+ CRT which is actually really nice but I'm craving wide-screen (and compact).

I have to say the Westy seems like a really sweet deal compared to the other offerings out there. It does seem a bit washed out (darks are not that deep especially a black screen) but for the price it seems great. Maybe Dell will come through with a cheap 2407 to hold me over until SED is cheap.

Anyone know any rich lonely widows? :D

EDIT: Now that J&R isn't selling @ $1500, there seems NO chance of me getting this. Conflict over.

Shrug, when SED is out, the Westy is going in my bedroom, or the kitchen, and I will have 1080p SED goodness for my COMPUTER!!!!!!!!!!!!

With the backlight turned down to 0, this has the best blacks of any LCD I've seen in person. I was VERY unimpressed with the AQUOS blacks. Then again, with almost every screen, you need to calibrate it. I was unable to do that on the Sharp, but after tinkering with my Westy I've greatly, hugely improved the blacks from the blindingly bright "50" backlight setting.

Literally, the 50 backlight on a white explorer background reminds me of staring into the sun.

yeah the way i see it, when a 37in SED display comes out for the same price as the Westy, then I'll just get one at the same price. Now honestly if you are working, you can definitely save up $1800 by the time the SED display comes out (unless it comes out like in a month, even then that would b pretty sweet)

I think I got the last unopened box Westinghouse 37" LVM-37W1 in Houston. Called around to all the Best Buys, finally found one. I have a large number of pics which I could post in anyone still needed to see any. Even though there closed boxes were hard to find, there were several open box ones and a couple of Best Buy employees offered to order me one.

I got mine with the 4 year warranty out the door for like $1475ish Given the rate at which my monitors seem to die (I just discover what "image persistance" is on my 2001fp and had about 6 sony 19" trinis die over the years) I couldn't pass that up.

It really is almost too big for desktop usage. It shames my 2005fp. After seeing it in the store and hearing all the "bad blacks" stories, I can report that for at least this quasi- videophile, with proper adjustment it has awesome blacks. The backlight adjustment is great and I can't believe more devices don't have this adjustment. I agree that at the stock settings, an all-white background could be used to treat cataracts or act as a home tanning device. The colors are lush and vivid.

I had very little "screendoor" effect, even sitting this close to it, much less than when I got my 2001fp 18 months ago.

I would probably be a touch happier with a 30" version of this at the same resolution for desktop usage, but as a TV I couldn't be more pleased. I was initially swayed by the SED angle into waiting but in the end this TV is very much worth that price. Again, I echo the sentiments that after its done as a main monitor, it will live on as a secondary monitor or plain TV until we jack in.

Rhino

To those thinking about waiting for SED, I just read a article on ign.com where they were talking about SED and the 42" tv's that Toshiba had on display. They said that Toshiba promised to axe the 42" panels in favor of a BASE 55" panel. So it doenst look like they have the intentions of smaller panels.

this was sortof talked about in this thread but maybe someone who has used it with something like an Xbox / Ps2 can comment (even @ 480p DVD)

how well does it scale the Component / Composite connection?

on my Dell 2001FPW the scaling is horrible and washed out when using hte SVidoe/Composite (No component input blasted dell)..

does a console or regular DVD look as sharp and crisp scaled as a computer @ native resolution?

Rhinohelix said:
I have a large number of pics which I could post in anyone still needed to see any.

post post post... I'de really like some DVD pictures and PC game play pictures.. Try to pause whatever movie/game your taking a picture of to minimise blurring.. This way i can get a better idea of how crisp it is. Also, Maybe an up close shot of the forums so we can see text.

Where is the hot spot to pick one of these up now>??? I got the cash, just need to find one cheap now!!!

Anyone work at bestbuy in Long Island that wants to help me out?!?!?

ALSO, ANYONE PLAY COD2 ON THIER WESTY YET?? IF SO, WHAT RESOLUTION?

Anyone have pics of this monster next to a 2405fpw? I'd like to see the size difference since their similar in resolution. If you have a "friend" at BB, they can get this for ~$1470 before taxes.

Rhinohelix said:
I think I got the last unopened box Westinghouse 37" LVM-37W1 in Houston. Called around to all the Best Buys, finally found one. I have a large number of pics which I could post in anyone still needed to see any. Even though there closed boxes were hard to find, there were several open box ones and a couple of Best Buy employees offered to order me one.

I got mine with the 4 year warranty out the door for like $1475ish Given the rate at which my monitors seem to die (I just discover what "image persistance" is on my 2001fp and had about 6 sony 19" trinis die over the years) I couldn't pass that up.

It really is almost too big for desktop usage. It shames my 2005fp. After seeing it in the store and hearing all the "bad blacks" stories, I can report that for at least this quasi- videophile, with proper adjustment it has awesome blacks. The backlight adjustment is great and I can't believe more devices don't have this adjustment. I agree that at the stock settings, an all-white background could be used to treat cataracts or act as a home tanning device. The colors are lush and vivid.

I had very little "screendoor" effect, even sitting this close to it, much less than when I got my 2001fp 18 months ago.

I would probably be a touch happier with a 30" version of this at the same resolution for desktop usage, but as a TV I couldn't be more pleased. I was initially swayed by the SED angle into waiting but in the end this TV is very much worth that price. Again, I echo the sentiments that after its done as a main monitor, it will live on as a secondary monitor or plain TV until we jack in.

Rhino

Yes please do post as many pics as you can :p

I was considering the Dell 30" but was put off by it only having one DVI and no other inputs :mad:

found this place http://www.digital1234.com/view_cart.jsp selling them cheap with free shipping. i dont know what to think about thier feedback though.. 1/2 love them, 1/2 hate them.. what you think? $1625 shipped to my door isnt bad, but is it worth the risk?? Most the time with online sales, if the word risk is involved i dont like to do it... And no phone #, WTF is the deal with that?

Deutch420 said:
found this place http://www.digital1234.com/view_cart.jsp selling them cheap with free shipping. i dont know what to think about thier feedback though.. 1/2 love them, 1/2 hate them.. what you think? $1625 shipped to my door isnt bad, but is it worth the risk?? Most the time with online sales, if the word risk is involved i dont like to do it... And no phone #, WTF is the deal with that?

I wouldn't chance it, unless you know for sure the your cc company will protect you.

Be forewarned, I have a messy desk. Everything was pushed to one side in order to get this bad boy on there. I use a 72" table as a desk presently, although I glad I have a larger desk being refinished, as this monitor dominates my present set up.

The jpegs don't do the clarity of the screen justice. It is without flaw in games so far.

DVD playback I have a few issues with. It may be that I haven't watched too many on anything bigger than my 2001fp or 2005fp, and perhaps I have sensitive eyes, but I see what appears to be compression artifacts in the DVD play in the worst way. I considered taking it back when I watched a regular 480p DVD (Matrix Reloaded) through the component input from a stand-alone DVD player. The WMV HD trailer for Alexander and T2 put my mind at ease, though.

The monitor to the left is my 2005fp

mon1.jpg

Civ4 intro screen
mon2.jpg

Guild Wars. The first time I have logged in since...
mon3.jpg

More perspective on Guild Wars
mon4.jpg

WoW. I mean it.
mon5.jpg

Civ4 intro movie
mon6.jpg

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex intro (from DVD)
mon7.jpg

Constantine intro
mon8.jpg

Totally ascending to Heaven. Whoa.
mon9.jpg

A few browsing haunts:
mon10.jpg

Yes my desk is that messy. EQ2 was the only game I had installed on my cube next to me, and I just wanted something the same size on both screens.
mon11.jpg

mon12.jpg

Quake 4. The light on the screen is the muted flash through my finger. My camera ( a Nikon E4600) was doing a crappy job of picking up the light (the room is actually well lit.) and it was too late to mess with the settings.
mon13.jpg

Someone has code envy:
mon14.jpg

With full flash so to get a better look. yes my desk is that messy.
mon15.jpg

The big ships in AOE3 just got a touch bigger. Frickin' huge!
mon16.jpg

These are being sold refurb at the Westinghouse site for $1394:

http://www.westinghousedigital.com/pc-26-7-37-lcd-video-monitor.aspx

Rhino

very nice..

how clear was the text compared to the 2001 when web browsing etc?

i have the 2001 right now and am really considering getting this ..

1920x1080 it is really sharp, although not quite as sharp as a 2001fp or 2005fp. I would have to give the edge to the Dells simply because they have close to the same number of pixels (1600x1200 or 1680x1050) in about 1/3 the screen area of the Westy. It is still much better than any CRT I ever owned, and very, very clear.

One thing I am going to due is get a higher bandwidth DVI cable. There was a thread over at Anandtech where someone's issues with their 2405 was solved by removing the DVI they had used with their 2005 and using the one that came with 2405.

Rhino

Thanks Rhino, you are the man.

How big is the box that it is shipped with? The reason why I ask is I live in a small apt, and will be moving in 6 month. So if the thing is too big, I might hold off on purchasing til after I move. Thanks again :)

What do you guys think about REFURB products? i had it in my checkout with 3 day priority, then i realised it was a refurbished product.... I would really like to get one ASAP, but the BB near me wants 1900 now, and everywhre else wants like 1600 + 200 to ship...

Anyone know places selling it for cheap? Or should i Just get the refurb from Westinghouse for 1450 shipped?

Also, what cables did you guys buy with the TV to hook it up to your computer?? Brand, place??

SO-TEMPTED----GONNA-CLICK-BUY BUTTON... lol.. I just wrote Westinghouse a Email asking them what thier return policy is. I really dont wanna buy a refurb unless im SURE i can return it no questions asked (maybe like a 30-day period for returns...i dunno) if im not happy.

glad to see many are starting to see the joy's of an uber huge lcd. seriously once you go big, there is no turning back. hm now i wonder how sweet a 720p projector will look at 70+ in. I'm sure you will need to apply some aa because the resolution is 1280x720, but dang..... 70+in? :eek:

morfinx said:
Thanks Rhino, you are the man.

How big is the box that it is shipped with? The reason why I ask is I live in a small apt, and will be moving in 6 month. So if the thing is too big, I might hold off on purchasing til after I move. Thanks again :)

Nobody knows how big the box is?

if they are packed like LCD screens, then the box is several inches larger than the unit itself.

morfinx said:
Anyone have any opinions on purchasing a refurb from the manufactuer?

^^ Im with him.... I already wrote Westinghouse regarding thier Refurbs.. They dont want to answer me back..

What u guys think about refurbs from manufcture?

Deutch420 said:
^^ Im with him.... I already wrote Westinghouse regarding thier Refurbs.. They dont want to answer me back..

What u guys think about refurbs from manufcture?

If Westy writes you back, let me know the details :p

morfinx said:
If Westy writes you back, let me know the details :p

well its the weeked, so i dont expect anything soon. Although i did write it Wednesday.... :rolleyes:

Hard part is gonna be not clicking "purchase"... 1450 shipped to my house is hard to resist..But if it comes with like 4 dead pixels and horrible light leakage, i want to be able to send it back for a replacement or refund..

buying refurb from the manufacturer is fine. By law (and it doesn't matter where the company is located, if they want to sell to the US, they have to follow US product laws), they have to return it to a like-new condition. Meaning no defects. Unless they specifically state what defects those are.

Like when I bought my receiver from Onkyo, they stated that it had a scratch on the casing along the top of it towards the back. Since I tuck mine in a shelf, I didn't care.

Tiny said:
buying refurb from the manufacturer is fine. By law (and it doesn't matter where the company is located, if they want to sell to the US, they have to follow US product laws), they have to return it to a like-new condition. Meaning no defects. Unless they specifically state what defects those are.

Like when I bought my receiver from Onkyo, they stated that it had a scratch on the casing along the top of it towards the back. Since I tuck mine in a shelf, I didn't care.

yea but i need to know what thier rules on refund/return/exchange are. Because dead/tuck pixels and/or bad backlight leakage is not acceptable for me. I wouldnt want my money back, just a new LCD without those flaws.. Most co. dont consider dead/stuck pixels and/or light leakage a flaw, so they wont do anything.. If this is the case, im not gonna buy...

Please call us at: 1 (866) 287-5555

Our service and support team is available for your call Monday through Saturday, 9AM - 9 PM (Eastern Time).

Just missed them for today.

Calling is almost always better than email.

Damn, why did I have to look at this thread? I'm seriously thinking about getting one of these but then I put it off. I wasn't able to justify spending $1500+ for a TV until I saw those pics of the Westinghouse next to a Dell 2005FPW (which I have). It absolutely dwarves it... now I want one. :(

It will be hard for me to get one however since I had a hard enough time getting my 2005FPW shipped my military address (I was in Korea at the time).

Ok here's the deal, I took a copy of a receipt from someone who bought one on the $1199 deal (+$159 4-yr warranty) who lives in Irving, TX (2 hrs fro me) to my local BB. Showed the salesperson the receipt, and told him straight up I will be getting a 4-yr service plan. He talked to the sales manager, will not give me $1199 since computer showed that their invoice price is $1499 (!). I said fine, I'll meet half way, 1300 and I will take the service plan. So they agreed. So now I can get it for 1300 + 249.99 4-year service plan (won't give me the price for lower price bracket, since the original price is higher) + tax (127.87) = $1677.86 out of the door.

I told him to write me an invoice since I was on lunch break and had to go back to work. So I have 4 hrs to consider this. So, hot deal or not? Please respond in the next 4 hrs! :D

morfinx said:
Ok here's the deal, I took a copy of a receipt from someone who bought one on the $1199 deal (+$159 4-yr warranty) who lives in Irving, TX (2 hrs fro me) to my local BB. Showed the salesperson the receipt, and told him straight up I will be getting a 4-yr service plan. He talked to the sales manager, will not give me $1199 since computer showed that their invoice price is $1499 (!). I said fine, I'll meet half way, 1300 and I will take the service plan. So they agreed. So now I can get it for 1300 + 249.99 4-year service plan (won't give me the price for lower price bracket, since the original price is higher) + tax (127.87) = $1677.86 out of the door.

I told him to write me an invoice since I was on lunch break and had to go back to work. So I have 4 hrs to consider this. So, hot deal or not? Please respond in the next 4 hrs! :D

I got mine 1800 US with no warranty, jump on it :)

WOW!!!!
You guys have no idea how happy I am right now.

Right now at my dads house we are currently building a pool house. TV for the Fireplace
and another TV in the Bedroom. Both TV's will be connected to a HTPC. At mom's house
my room has really really become overcrowded and so a few changes are going to take
place here too.

At Dad's house-
My father orginally decided to go out and get the speakers, TV, etc by himself. He got the
Bose speakers (ya and na feeling about them) and the Philips Ambient Light Technology
42" TV. Well he got the Philips tv for the fireplace area and is in a corner where the
Ambient Lighting will not work. So... he thought about putting it in the Bedroom loft area.
Which would be perfect for the Ambient Lighting to work.

I have done NO research or etc to see how good of a computer monitor it is

My question for asking/telling you guys this is.. "Should we take back the Philips TV
for the Bedroom loft or Keep it?"

Back