Anyone give up overclocking for silence?

markt435

Supreme [H]ardness
I decided to last night after I stuck my VF700 on my 8800GT. hooked up my two case fans to the 5v connectors and hooked the vid card fan up to the 12v. cools nicely actually. i then toned down the C2D overclock to 2.33 and put the fan down to 50%. i'm in silence heaven and can still play stuff at 1680x1050 with everything on. guess i just got tired of loud ass fans since i can't afford water cooling right now lol

Nope. With watercooling my system runs at a nice 28dba from 1 foot with the case door closed... And I can overclock the 8800GTS to 688mhz, and the Q6600 to 3456mhz (I chose that speed just for the coolness of the number).

Well you can do both. ;) :D

I've got a Q6600 @3GHz and other than the very quiet shussssshing of air (if you're right next to my PC) there aint no noise.

Abit IP35-E
Intel Quad-Core Q6600
Gigabyte Nvidia 8500GT (There's even better passively cooled graphic cards out there)
550W Seasonic S-12 80+ efficiency 1
Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme + Scythe S-Flex 1200rpm (@1000rpm)
Antec P182 + Noctua 1200rpm + 2x Scythe S-Flex 1200rpm (all exhaust grills cut out)

Hardrives are Samsung spinpoints, which are very quiet (not mentioning RAM for obvious reasons).

Well you can do both. ;) :D

I've got a Q6600 @3GHz and other than the very quiet shussssshing of air (if you're right next to my PC) there aint no noise.

Abit IP35-E
Intel Quad-Core Q6600
Gigabyte Nvidia 8500GT (There's even better passively cooled graphic cards out there)
550W Seasonic S-12 80+ efficiency 1
Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme + Scythe S-Flex 1200rpm (@1000rpm)
Antec P182 + Noctua 1200rpm + 2x Scythe S-Flex 1200rpm (all exhaust grills cut out)

Hardrives are Samsung spinpoints, which are very quiet (not mentioning RAM for obvious reasons).

i think my setup would be even quieter without the NB fan. freakin loud ass fan even on a 5v line. any good fans that are silent and cool the NB decently? 650i's run hot :(

i think my setup would be even quieter without the NB fan. freakin loud ass fan even on a 5v line. any good fans that are silent and cool the NB decently? 650i's run hot :(

I've saw the passive thermalright and thermaltake NB solutions getting big ups on here, could be a route worth exploring, though of course in-case airflow is vital when using these.

No. Overclocking with low noise is the way to go. No compromises needed.

Nope I have both. I use very quiet fans throughout and achieve a solid overclock. In my previous setup my Vantec Tornado was making me lose my mind and so I got a fan-bus and throttled it down. I kept my overclock and just throttled it up when I would play a 3d game. For this setup I wanted quiet without having to throttle and spent a lot of time choosing the right components to do this.

hahah sometimes the computer may be loud form fans, and also heat the room up like crazy!!! its nice for winter.. but sucks for summer, thats where i turn down the overclocks...

but it sucks when ur computer is in your room and you mostly spend all your time in there etc, and sleep in that same room wiht the computer on.. makes for annoying nights..

but i went watercooled to get rid of some noise.... my new 8800gt with the fan turned up makes more noise..

the only noise in my system is the fans on the rad.. =(

Ive never gave uo OC for silence, but I have a seperate computer room and silence is at the botom of my priorties. My fan can sound like a tornado as long as my OC stays cool

You can have the best of both worlds (ie. OC and low noise) if you don't get too obsessed with temps. Any modern CPU or GPU will throttle down before you will hurt it, so don't be afraid to reduce fan speeds even at high overclocks. I do it all the time and nothing has died in the 12 years I have been playing the OC game.

lol no, overclocking is way too much extra fun.
Theres no need for loud fans to get a decent overclock, my systems pretty quiet.

The closest to this I have ever done was take out my Vantec Tornados and install watercooling in it's place. It took at least two weeks before I slept halfway decent since I didn't have the loudass fans buzzing several feet from my head. At least I knew everything was fine when I heard that noise. I ended up getting used to it, though.

Right now, it's not exactly quiet. Sure, I don't have any Tornados anymore, but with about 12 fans running between three computers all at one desk, it's hard not to hear some fans. Plus, two out of the three systems are overclocked (the PIII 800 motherboard doesn't have options for overclocking) and every one of them is running 100% 24/7. It's somewhat imperative that i keep them at least reasonably cool.

I've enjoyed overclocking systems for years so I doubt I'm going to stop it anytime soon. Besides, I need every clock cycle I can get for folding.

You will likely find that you can fold with all the OCing you desire without the all the noise. Lower temps just make everything else about you feel good, except your ears!

Back