Anyone ever order a retail 920 and get...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the real question behind this whole debacle is why aren't people getting their i7 920's from Microcenter for only $199 since they have basically been that price for a year now ;)

Someone has it cheaper than the Egg?

Hmph, sounds like some shady scam to me! :D

"Once you know, you Newegg..."

2.) The holograph on the CPU box isn't even a holograph.

Now that should have been caught by someone before it ever shipped to the customer... It has to end up in someone's physical hands before it leaves the Egg...

You are the one avoiding the issues Kyle. Newegg likely can't say they are counterfeit until Intel tells them in writing that they are (caveat: I am not a lawyer). And it looks like this has been done recently. To say anything else would open them up to legal exposure from the supplier. Is Newegg an authority at detecting counterfeit cpus? Probably, I would say so, but my opinion is not worth very much in court. Would I risk my business to claim this right away, when the matter can be settled in a few days after shipping a unit to Intel? It is one thing to publish opinions on a news site, this is perfectly acceptable, and readers frequent [H] specifically for your expert opinions. It is a different matter to immediately state "these CPUs are counterfeit" especially when being threatened with legal action, as D&H appears to have done.

What is important: taking care of the customer. They did this. I will continue to patronize their business. I see nothing wrong with their timeline. If I got a fake cpu I would laugh it off, and feel confident that Newegg would take care of me ASAP. The focus of the story should be pressuring the supplier, not Newegg, and finding out what their exposure was, what they knew when, where they got the CPUs, etc.

The only problem is that the CPU's were OBVIOUSLY not demos. There is no doubt that those boxes were nothing else besides counterfeit merchandise. If newegg came out and said "we got fake merchandise and are trying to fix the problem as soon as possible" then it would have been different. It seemed that they were trying to cover up the truth and that is why this is such a big deal.

I don’t think I can go any further with this thread. I also think I am done with the issue.

Like I said before I had no issue with Newegg, just curiosity when this started. But when they lied to us that created a problem for me. See I stopped supporting Newegg when they dropped this site. But I did make 3 purchases from them since and only because I hadn’t built that sort of trust with another supplier yet. I see now I was wrong to think I could trust Newegg but I was already on my way out with them so whatever.

Obviously they are fakes, but how do you know that d&h doesn't have their own demo/display models in their warehouse? Lot of unanswered questions yet people are coming up with conclusions. Give it a couple days for the truth to come out.

You’re kidding right? There is no way what so ever that these fakes were made for Demo use. These “demo units” you speak of have a security seal that was made by printing the seal on the box and then covering it with clear tape to look like a seal. No one in their right mind would bother with something like that when making a demo. The only reason to do something like that is if you’re creating something you want to pass off as legit. The same goes for making the fake fan with a sticker on it. If you were just going to use a sticker for the demo fan you would have put if right on the window of the box. The only reason for the trouble of making that hunk of plastic is for weight. Again something that’s only important if the goal is to pass it off as real.

This info is all over the web for anyone who cares to look. They were obvious counterfeits just based on evidence in photos before Newegg gave it’s response. Now if they couldn’t tell this from looking at them in person and are stupid enough to just believe what D&H might be telling them? Then I think you guys who also believe belong together with Newegg. It must be written in the stars or something. I mean forces bizarre as this only align once in a billion years or so right?

I think the real question behind this whole debacle is why aren't people getting their i7 920's from Microcenter for only $199 since they have basically been that price for a year now ;)

2.5+ hour round trip drive + sales tax. I'd rather buy it online.

Kyle has never accused NewEgg of intentionally selling the counterfeit CPU's. He's accused them of lying to the public about the counterfeit CPU's being Demos even after Intel has confirmed that they are Counterfeit.

THIS x 300+!!!

I really don't understand. Are people just coming in here reading a page or two and then posting their opinion, or are they just that Stupid?

THIS x 300+!!!

I really don't understand. Are people just coming in here reading a page or two and then posting their opinion, or are they just that Stupid?
Well at first people wanted to give Newegg a chance to 'finish their investigation' into the matter. It's understandable if the first reaction or response from their supplier is demo boxes, so that's what they report to custoemers who want an answer RIGHT NOW. However, once you find out the truth on the matter, don't continue lying about it to cover something up. That's what Newegg is doing.

OK I'm starting to accept the severity here. There's a big difference between a counterfeit CPU and a demo box.

Oh look what I found on Yahoo.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20100308/tc_pcworld/fourreasonstobewarefakeintelcpus

LOL, that guy clearly hasn't looked very closely at the reports of counterfeit CPUs. His article talks about them like you would counterfeit clothing. It isn't that the counterfeits are of a lower quality (as he puts it - 'might lack some of Intel's latest advancements, resulting in inferior performance'), they just plain don't work at all.

LOL, that guy clearly hasn't looked very closely at the reports of counterfeit CPUs. His article talks about them like you would counterfeit clothing. It isn't that the counterfeits are of a lower quality (as he puts it - 'might lack some of Intel's latest advancements, resulting in inferior performance'), they just plain don't work at all.
lol Its like he's talking about the difference between a genuine Rolex and a fake Rolex.

The genuine 920 works, the fake one doesn't work. Period.

In all reality it doesn't matter WHAT Newegg would have said, there would have been people tearing it apart.

Some people have said "Well if they would have just said x then it would have been fine."
Yeah, fine in your eyes, but others probably would have had a different opinion.

I do agree that Kyle is reporting it in such a way that is making it look negative for Newegg, but it's all truth, and honestly.. who cares?

If Kyle says something I disagree with, does that mean I'm going to stop reading [H] after all these years and start disagreeing with everything he says?

If Newegg does something I don't like but in the end makes it right with the customers who got duped, does that mean I'm going to stop buying stuff from them after all these years of wonderful customer service and start ragging on them?

(the answer is no for the common sense challenged)

Demo can mean two things, the demo I was referring to was more like the plastic display model stuff not like windows 7 RC demo that you actually use.

EDIT: Just read more, yeah they do seem to be trying too hard to look like legit merchandise.

In all reality it doesn't matter WHAT Newegg would have said, there would have been people tearing it apart.

Some people have said "Well if they would have just said x then it would have been fine."
Yeah, fine in your eyes, but others probably would have had a different opinion.

I do agree that Kyle is reporting it in such a way that is making it look negative for Newegg, but it's all truth, and honestly.. who cares?

If Kyle says something I disagree with, does that mean I'm going to stop reading [H] after all these years and start disagreeing with everything he says?

If Newegg does something I don't like but in the end makes it right with the customers who got duped, does that mean I'm going to stop buying stuff from them after all these years of wonderful customer service and start ragging on them?

What? Look what Newegg did after the fact was lie to us. So now you got a bunch of us not happy about the lie.

Those who would make grey market supply chain remarks and such were not prevented by this lie.

So now wouldn’t it be better to speak the truth and take your lumps? Rather than tell an obvious lie so that you still have to take your lumps and upset a whole other group?

What? Look what Newegg did after the fact was lie to us. So now you got a bunch of us not happy about the lie.

Those who would make grey market supply chain remarks and such were not prevented by this lie.

So now wouldn’t it be better to speak the truth and take your lumps? Rather than tell and obvious lie so that you still have to take your lumps and upset a whole other group?

Have you ever worked PR for a large company before? You make it sound so clear cut and simple.

I think we all know that the Egg had the 'weekend staff' in charge, this crept up, they knew they had to say something besides send out proper stock (which at least they did promptly as it was discovered. Took months for Visa to fix my balance after I was obviously scammed by thieves using Rogers website buying iphones) and they had some poorly chosen words instead of holding back saying anything or picking something better to say. Instead of "demo units" a more traditional, "incorrect products were shipped and we are investigating the matter and will make another statement when we have more to share ASAP" would of went over better. 'Demo units' is a statement where you hope your customers are too stupid to know what's going on and trying to save face. D&H suits most likely didn't know about any of this either but to get the ambulance chasers typing letters as their initial reply makes them look like they're in on it. Something of this nature would of came from some 'mysterious' late shifts at the factory with a few guys in on it from making the plastic crap, packaging and sneaking them in the boxes to be sent off.

Thankfully the people that got the fakes are getting proper 920s, Intel must be pissed and will send their wrath down the supply lines and Newegg will probably fire the guy that released the 'demo' statement and look at some boxes they get in a little closer for the near future.

THIS x 300+!!!

I think the issue here is that Kyle appears to be lumping NewEgg in with the people that sold the non-functional CPUs which clearly were going to be discovered sooner or later. These aren't functional, and as soon as you plug them in you'd figure that out, if not before.
Newegg replaced them. D&H Distributing is the group telling HardOCP to stop. NewEgg may be telling people that these are Demo units, but who do you think told them that? (Perhaps the supplier that sold them to NewEgg?) Since everybody else is coming to this party a little late, it's kind of rediculous to come down on NewEgg isn't it?!
NewEgg Customers notified on the 5th.
Clearly this is D&H Distributing that is putting out the story that they are Demos.
Intel has already researched the issue through D&H Distributing, and is dealing with the issue.
Only on the 5th does Intel weigh in.
Now we're accusing NewEgg of lying?

Come on! Why doesn't everyone just calm down and see how it plays out. This is the next working day after the story broke. Cut back on the coffee or something.

Props to [H]ard, most other sites would run like hell from officially discussing this issue.

As other said it's not the mistake and rather how it's being handled.

Often large companies become victims of their own success.

Regardless of what company that is being discussed, nothing good will come out of damaging the trust/respect relationship between you and your customers. Better to politely and honestly own up to it.

Wonder if Newegg was buying these gray market and got pantsed?

Or one of their distributors...........

This will be the unpopular opinion here but I would imagine that it is more likely Newegg. They have a huge presence in Guangdong, and do not buy direct from Intel. D&H does buy direct. That would put D&H a little closer to the big guy on the block which would generally lead me to guess they would stay in check better.

Newegg owes those who got a fake CPU a replacement and some kind of 'gesture' to wrap it up, a discount or something, which I am sure they will come through with. They don't owe you any special language, deep explanations or results of their internal investigation. They need to make sure this won't happen again, but they don't need to beg for your forgiveness as long as they take care of the customers impacted. You guys will seize on anything.

Interesting that Tomshardware's version of the story is slightly different. ;)

They already did that.

Of course they did, and no one expected anything less. But the fact that some people don't care for the language they used and think this is a reason to doubt their commitment to their customers is just a waste of time. While it might be nice to know the whole story, it doesn't really impact anyone not knowing if they are taking care of customers. Clearly most of the people ranting have not been near a fraud or criminal investigation, it can take quite a while for things to wrap up and for it to be prudent to discuss details.

All of this and I still don't get what "Once You Know, You Newegg." means. I mean it's probably their slogan, but I don't get the logic.

I just read the new info on the frontpage... Love the add on the right.

loli920h.png

Last edited:
I've been buying all my computers parts from Newegg for years now and I honestly cannot remember a time when Newegg did not offer excellent customer service. They have earned my business.

Regardless of who here feels some righteous indignation give them a chance to make it right.

Having said this if Newegg doesn't not fix this in a timely manner with the affected customers THEN I will pick up a pitchfork with all of you and storm the castle. ;););)

Looks like Google Ads works, especially since the 'nadians always complain about shipping rape :p

Newegg should really stop beating around the bush on this... I can't imagine Intel being happy with their terminology. What purpose would a "demo version" like this even serve, other than to be produced as a counterfeit?

You can tell the truth, and NOT ruin customer loyalty nor inhibit a federal investigation. Newegg and D&H would be FAR better off to have said, "hey we both got swindled. We're making it right to the customers and cooperating with Intel and the government on the investigation...", rather than lies and shooting off C&D orders that do nothing but bring MORE attention to this and not in a good way for the companies involved.
Unless one of them was really buying grey market CPU's and is trying to cover up ;)

You can tell the truth, and NOT ruin customer loyalty nor inhibit a federal investigation. Newegg and D&H would be FAR better off to have said, "hey we both got swindled. We're making it right to the customers and cooperating with Intel and the government on the investigation...", rather than lies and shooting off C&D orders that do nothing but bring MORE attention to this and not in a good way for the companies involved.

IMHO, the only ones in the right here are Intel. For me, this is just another notch in my reason to not order from Newegg unless there's a very good reason (although I'm moving to Oregon soon, so 9.75% tax is going bye bye). They just aren't the Newegg that I fell in love with back in ~2000, prices aren't as competitive, shipping deals suck, they're not supporting the very communities that helped make them who they are today, and so on...Now this. I just wish there was a Fry's or Microcenter near Ashland/Medford (that don't include making a long ass drive down south across the border to get to).

Who did D&H Distributing purchase them from??

Some guy in the back alley selling them out of his car trunk??!!

The movie GoodFellas comes to mind. lol
:eek:

All I can say is I could not care less about D&H, keep up the news guys. As for those who got the "fake" parts, that sucks. Best of luck on getting what you ordered. Personally, if I dropped $200.00 - 600.00 on a CPU and received nothing but plastic I'd be steamed.

No you sure are not kyle. You are making them up. You have decided that NewEgg has called them demo units and does not know better, that they are blatantly doing this. You have no fact at all showing this. In fact, what you post shows they are not really confirming to much of anything other than 'appears to be.'

I can not believe you are sticking with this. In all the years I have been coming here I never thought I would see you act so childish. HardOCP is supposed to be above this. This is why I come to this site and no others.

Someone earlier posted that HardOCP and NewEgg had some sort of beef or something earlier, but never went into detail. Sounded like an advertising and/or 'forums specials' disagreement. With how you have been acting, I am seriously thinking this may be personal for you.

Pot calling kettle black eh.

No you sure are not kyle. You are making them up. You have decided that NewEgg has called them demo units and does not know better, that they are blatantly doing this. You have no fact at all showing this. In fact, what you post shows they are not really confirming to much of anything other than 'appears to be.'

I can not believe you are sticking with this. In all the years I have been coming here I never thought I would see you act so childish. HardOCP is supposed to be above this. This is why I come to this site and no others.

Someone earlier posted that HardOCP and NewEgg had some sort of beef or something earlier, but never went into detail. Sounded like an advertising and/or 'forums specials' disagreement. With how you have been acting, I am seriously thinking this may be personal for you.

I'm confused, the quotes directly show NewEgg saying they are (not that they may be) demos and Intel saying they are counterfeit (not that they are still investigating). Unless you are insinuating that he made up the quotes...?

Whether or not it was a internal communication issue, NewEgg trying to cover their distributor's ass (and also their own for using them), or trying to pass counterfeits as real is an opinion piece outside of the quotes.

Well if Newegg really did buy them from the gray market and not from D&H, that might explain D&H's letter ... but where did the whole D&H part come from anyways? If D&H is actually innocent here and Newegg is remaining silent it's going to really look bad for D&H.

I'm confused, the quotes directly show NewEgg saying they are demos and Intel saying they are counterfeit. Unless you are insinuating that he made up the quotes...?

Whether or not it was a internal communication issue, NewEgg trying to cover their distributor's ass (and also their own for using them), or trying to pass counterfeits as real is an opinion piece outside of the quotes.

Yes, you are indeed confused. When the word 'appear' is added to the sentence saying 'fake' or 'demo' it changes the entire meaning. It does not say 'this is fake' it says 'it appears to be a fake.' Two different meanings.

Not only that, but like I said, if NewEgg is indeed saying this are 100% a demo box unit and in no way at all anything else, how do you know they are not just mistaken and not flat out on purpose lying about it for who knows what reason.

Well if Newegg really did buy them from the gray market and not from D&H, that might explain D&H's letter ... but where did the whole D&H part come from anyways?

Someone doesn't want the public or Intel knowing they are buying things on the gray market and shuffling them in with regular product from legit sources?

Doesn't matter because it's still an internal problem. Why are people like you trying to brush this issue aside? Do you people not get it?

Why are you (and others) so hellbent on crucifying Newegg and whining that you'll never buy from them again, even though they are addressing the problem promptly with endusers (at Newegg's expense, AFAIK)? Look, we know the "demo box" explanation was (and continues to be) lame, but the possibility is that's the initial explanation they got from D&H (their supplier for the parts in question); granted, if it were me over at Newegg HQ dealing with this mess on Friday, I'd have not only talked to my supplier post haste, but to Intel at the same time and kept on working the PR problem through the weekend.

Unfortunately, in the age of the 24/7 news cycle, a lack of information right away can be perceived to be worse than putting out incorrect information (and correcting it later), so I imagine Newegg and their PR firm felt pressured to get something out on the wire before the end of the day on Friday. However, I can't for the life of me understand why Newegg is still sticking to the "demo box" line almost 4 days on now, even after Intel confirmed the "demo boxes" were indeed counterfeits.

That said, I'm a big believer in "actions speak louder than words" and Newegg's customer service has always done me right and is doing right by all those affected by this mess. However, D&H's actions (and words) to this point makes me wonder if someone at D&H is either complicit in this affair or they are being completely moronic corporate boneheads; it also makes me wonder if and how much pressure they're putting on Newegg to toe the "demo box" line, Intel, the media, and consumers be damned.

What I would advise everyone who's passionate about this subject is to write Newegg's customer service directly (email or post [which is even better]; don't spam nasty comments in the product review sections!) and let them know that their PR sucks and that they don't need to fall on their sword for D&H if they want to keep people's business...I certainly will.

Last edited:
This story is crazy. All the effort put into making the counterfeits...sounds like somebody in costa rica made a killing. Beats kidnapping I guess.

Last week I almost bought a 920 and related parts from the egg to upgrade a buddy's system. The egg had a bunch of "open box" 920s at a discount. I held off at the last minute. Just checked and they are no longer for sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back