Anyone ever order a retail 920 and get...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you sure you did'nt go to a bogus site somehow? If so, that person now has your credit card/paypal info. This is out of contro! I order from newegg ALL the time.

Are you sure you did'nt go to a bogus site somehow? If so, that person now has your credit card/paypal info. This is out of contro! I order from newegg ALL the time.

So do I. It was Newegg. It was part of a large order. Everything else was perfect.

I sent a pm to one of the admins over at eggxpert who handles CS issues. I will let you guys know if i get any info.

Was the box still sealed from intel or was it opened when you got it? If it was still sealed then maybe some intel factory worker is trying to make a few $$?

I sent a pm to one of the admins over at eggxpert who handles CS issues. I will let you guys know if i get any info.

Was the box still sealed from intel or was it opened when you got it? If it was still sealed then maybe some intel factory worker is trying to make a few $$?

The box is fake. Spelling errors all over it.
Instruction booklet is fake. It's just a bounce of blank papers stapled together.
Heatsink/fan is a mold...

Label on the box says it's a Sochet LGA 1366

I was so fixated on the plastic mold I didn't even notice this other stuff.

O yea, CPU is fake also. A very good fake though.

Looks like Newegg is suffering through a supply of counterfeit i7-920's. Wonder if we can get some details on this from a Newegg rep?

Does anyone know if Newegg typically buys these directly from Intel or is there another distributor in the middle?

Looks like Newegg is suffering through a supply of counterfeit i7-920's. Wonder if we can get some details on this from a Newegg rep?

Does anyone know if Newegg typically buys these directly from Intel or is there another distributor in the middle?

From the looks of it they go through a third party. I don't think something like that would happen when you go through the manufacturer and not a reseller.

Newegg is my favorite place to shop. I can;t believe they get duped by a bad vendor and gave you a fake. Its shocking since newegg is so reliable I hope you can RMA and not have a problem. Please keep us posted about what happens.

Wow!!!

That is some messed up stuff right there. Guess there are not too many human hands touching those boxes as that should have been noticeable. I know newegg has one of those highly automated warehouses, but you'd think someone is checking that stuff in when it arrives.

One of the handlers in the middle might switching stuff out. Fakes and knock off are a huge, huge problem in places like china, and you can't stop all of it 100% of the time.

I would hazard to guess that NewEgg gets their stock from multiple distributors and not directly from Intel.
Multiple sourcing is important when you do business the way on-line suppliers do.
Chances are real good that NewEgg wasn't duped directly, but that their supplier was.

wow... That is crazy.

Never seen anything like that before. Glad they are taking care of you and getting a new one out to you asap.

What I don't get is why go through the whole trouble of making the CPU look authentic when the heatsink/fan is not even operable?

Edit: OK I pulled some product from the shop, I understand why and I should have known this. You can see the processor and the heatsink/fan from the outside of the box through little windows cut in the box, therefore you need to make it look like they are in there so no one is the wiser until they open the box.

Last edited:
I would hazard to guess that NewEgg gets their stock from multiple distributors and not directly from Intel.
Multiple sourcing is important when you do business the way on-line suppliers do.
Chances are real good that NewEgg wasn't duped directly, but that their supplier was.

That doesn't matter......in fact it's worse....

If Nix's stuff all came in one box, all from the newegg place in either NJ,CA, orTN.....someone unloaded that order,shelved it,and then it was picked and packed.

That's at least three people who should be smart enough to know a SOCHET when they see it.

It's an inside job.:eek::eek:

Maybe the fake heatsink/fan was made to smuggle illegal drugs/plutonium/uranium/whatever. It probably doesn't weigh as much as a real heatsink/fan would, leaving a couple ounces to add some extra stuff to the package.

Gotta have someone on the inside getting these into the inventory chain.

Nix, I'm chuckling and I'm shaking my head all at the same time. This seems to bolster a claim I had a while ago about the egg that they do not check what comes in or what goes out to a large degree. I'm pretty sure you aren't the first to have this happen to you from them. Good luck sorting it out because they better take care of you and pronto.

whats driving me nuts:

order razor blades and razor cleaner kit on same day

package one:
the item is maybe 8cm long, 10mm thick lol
box size= about the size of the bible

package two: CAME ON THE SAME DAY FROM THE SAME ORDER FROM UPS
item= 3 inch cube
box= the size of a laptop case

wtf newegg

This is front page news?

whats up with the trolls lately on hardocp?

canned responses:
-not front page news
-i have sli video cards, sorry not sure how thats related to your "insert issue here"
-grammar policing

we are a community. i'm always happy when steve or kyle sticks up for us, our community has alot more power than the individual and in the long run it prevents future issues for the greater good. except for bestbuy they always manage to fark something up.

Newegg does in fact, source their parts from various distributors. My girlfriend works there. She said that the parts came in a lot of about 300 pieces, all of which were fake. You also have to understand that MOST of the people that work in their warehouses dont speak much English. The same kind of people that would write SOCHET on a fake CPU box. She said they got the problem taken care of. All of the fake processors were in the same shipment and have been removed from stock. Its NOT an inside job. They all came from a distributor like that....possible that its an inside job there though.....

whats up with the trolls lately on hardocp?

canned responses:
-not front page news
-i have sli video cards, sorry not sure how thats related to your "insert issue here"
-grammar policing

It's not a canned troll. If I said what I was really thinking, I'd probably be banned. But feel free to PM me if you'd like to know the truth rather than painting me with that giant brush of yours :p

someone update the front page with Nix's post from page 1 that he has a new CPU being overnighted to him by Newegg (sounds like good service to me.)

That's at least three people who should be smart enough to know a SOCHET when they see it.

Right, because all newegg merchandise is checked carefully for spelling errors before shipment...

This is front page news?

One of the largest and trusted e-tailors for computer equipment starts shipping fake CPU's and you didn't expect it to make front page news on one of the most "enthusiastic" of computer sites?

Putting this news on the front page can only help.

That really is an impressive fake. Sorry for you, but worried for myself.

I placed an order that came on Tuesday. I didn't open in right away as I knew I wasn't going to have time to get to it until this weekend. I hope I don't have a wax surprise awaiting me at home!

Damn, that is insane. And to have gotten that from Newegg....I wonder what happened along the supply chain.

One of the largest and trusted e-tailors for computer equipment starts shipping fake CPU's and you didn't expect it to make front page news on one of the most "enthusiastic" of computer sites?

Putting this news on the front page can only help.

hZqU1.jpg

Im sorry. I misspoke earlier. Out of 2000 they got in the shipment, she said that 300 were fake. Theyve all been removed from the warehouse. They are investigating with the distributor. They came from the distributor this way. It was not an inside job....at least at Newegg.

What's with the giant picture....

Anyways, I am kind of interested on the details of what happened here. I know rhinodj says it all came in one shipment from a distributor. This is pretty bizarre, also pretty funny at the same time.

Hopefully this isn't the start of a decline as Newegg as an e-tailer. I buy tons of crap from them.

Im sorry. I misspoke earlier. Out of 2000 they got in the shipment, she said that 300 were fake. Theyve all been removed from the warehouse. They are investigating with the distributor. They came from the distributor this way. It was not an inside job....at least at Newegg.

Good to know............if you trust your girlfriend...........:eek::eek::D

Hopefully this isn't the start of a decline as Newegg as an e-tailer. I buy tons of crap from them.

One can hope its only a isolated incident.

Personally, I don't buy anything from Newegg unless the local Frys doesn't carry it, which is often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back