Anyone ever order a retail 920 and get...

Status
Not open for further replies.
THIS IS FUCKING CRAZY

I have heard of some strange shit in my short life... but this is just not good for newegg

I was just about to order a SSD from them too... IDK now :confused:
Don't blame Newegg. Their supply chain became tainted with these. This happens more than you think any how many of the counterfeit devices get over here (besides the fakes on ebay and others). Newegg is making right in this situation and will be replacing the device. All this shows is even the best retailers can be hit with counterfeit equipment.

Thats funny!
Pleather i7s..
"Corinthian" video cards are next!

Alright I definitely see this being front page news but that article title is trying to give the impression that this was somehow intentional and that is completely unfair to newegg.

From the sounds of it, at some point in the distro chain, a pallet of CPU's was swapped.

300 of them, if they ebay for 200 each, is a quick 60grand. Probably done by organized crime.

So, it's been firmly and definitely established that Newegg got the "cpu" in question from D&H? Just curious about how this conclusion was arrived at. Does Newegg agree with this conclusion?

No. I do not know.

And stop signing all your posts with "CB." It is against the rules.

Alright I definitely see this being front page news but that article title is trying to give the impression that this was somehow intentional and that is completely unfair to newegg.

How the hell is that the case? I just reported the facts that we have available to use. There is no slant, no editorial. Just what we have found the facts to be.

From the sounds of it, at some point in the distro chain, a pallet of CPU's was swapped.

300 of them, if they ebay for 200 each, is a quick 60grand. Probably done by organized crime.

Yep, that is my thought as well. I hope we actually get the whole story one day!

The real victim here is my weekend spent playing some BFBC 2. I haven't played any PC games for a couple of years now :(

The real victim here is my weekend spent playing some BFBC 2. I haven't played any PC games for a couple of years now :(

Ouch, that sucks the most. At least newegg is taking care of it quickly. This is another reason I don't use Intel processors *puts fire suit on*

Hopefully they will send some free goodies with your replacement too, wouldn't shock me to be honest.

What in the fuck? I am seriously not ordering from newegg again, seems like every week someone on here is saying they think they got a "new" item that was used. And that's just the people on the couple forums I go to, imagine all the other people that shop there. Not to mention the 9.75% tax and shipping charges on almost everything, oh and a craptastic 2% CB.
Grow the fuck up dude. You're acting like they did this on purpose. It's obvious that Newegg themselves got ripped off somehow and they are making it right by replacing it overnight. Newegg didn't get popular by being a shitty company. Go away.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think that fan is better than the real stock one. :)

The Headline is where that appears to be the case. While I realize you may not intentionally have a slant against newegg (who here does?) the headline makes it come across as something they engaged in purposefully.

How do you come to that? It is a question are they selling fake cpus? Maybe Kyle could have worded it as shipping fake cpus. But the case is still the same, are people buying a cpu and having a fake one sent to them? That is that question that was at hand, regardless if on purpose or because they were scammed did they sale (take money in exchange for an item) fake cpus. The answer it would turn out is yes, they did sale some fake cpus to people. It wasn't on purpose and they are resolving the issue, but that did take money from people and give them fake items, so they did infact sale fake cpus.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think that fan is better than the real stock one. :)

Hopefully Nix will ship it to Kyle for the next Heatsink round up!!

on topic, that sucks Nix. I hope that the meat of the story see's the light of day but I assume its something that happened overseas so we wont.

Don't blame Newegg. Their supply chain became tainted with these. This happens more than you think any how many of the counterfeit devices get over here (besides the fakes on ebay and others). Newegg is making right in this situation and will be replacing the device. All this shows is even the best retailers can be hit with counterfeit equipment.

Ya thanks for clearing that up... I looked over it a bit more and did my own research and take back my past post.
:eek:

Crazy stuff. Definately a twist on the sardine can in a box tricks..pretty advanced stuff. However, anyone that knows how a intel retail box looks would rezognize that as a fake immediately. Hologram stickers? Fake seals..all that crap. They definately put some time into making it pass the "quick glance" test however.

It's a shame stuff like this happens, we can't really blame newegg unless they don't do anything about the situation. Really that is a customer service issue as well, in addition to them investigating their distributor.

There is no way for newegg to know what's inside a sealed box other than to open, which none of us want I'm sure.

Mostly because everyone here would be mad their CPU boxes were opened and that someone got to cherry pick which CPUs OC the best ;)

Ouch, that sucks the most. At least newegg is taking care of it quickly. This is another reason I don't use Intel processors *puts fire suit on*
You're guaranteed to get a legit CPU if you buy AMD. This is because so few are sold, criminals don't consider it profitable to make counterfeits. :p

~_~ Now I'm gonna check my orders from newegg which have arrived today - no CPUs in play...

Just got off the phone with newegg as I also got one of these.

"Display Units"

The store I work in used to order stuff from D&H, so I am well familiar with them. I guarantee you that D&H will be sicking the doggies on this situation real fast. What really shocks me I guess is that Newegg buys CPU's from D&H, if that's all indeed true. I figured Newegg was buying directly from Intel, in large quantities. D&H must be giving Newegg some *serious* discounts.

To those who got hosed over, sorry to hear that, glad to hear Newegg is on the ball setting it right. Would be nice to find out whatever happened to the real processors.

Hey now, there are those who claim that C2D/C2Q is just a bad copy of the Athlon 64 and that the i7 is just a bad copy of Phenom.

BAD copy? Even if it's a copy, I'd rather have the superior Intel copy over the inferior original.

AMD isn't bad for the $$$, but it's not the superior of the two.

I think this is one of the most ludicrous threads that I have ever seen.

First, you do not go to any effort to manufacture an obvious poorly done replica and stuff it in a box that only an end buyer will open.This is wa-a-ay too much effort. To screw with the distribution chain you just put a brick in the box.

Second, why pick one of the least expensive CPUs ... an i7 920 ... BS!! There is NO money is this so called scam by 'egg. Anyway why wouldn't you would go for w5590s. Or, the counterfeiter maybe assumed that no one would notice? NO! don't bother offering any of your nonsensical explanations.

Come on guys ... where is the logic in *any* of this?????

I am Glad Newegg is sending you a real one and that you are nto getting screwed. This is bizarre. That distributor is about to get sued by newegg. Of all the People they could have screwed you do NOT want to mess with a hardocp forum member! Take care bro. And tell su about the system you plan on building.

Im surprised Newegg didnt catch this sooner, they are a large Co. though. I will skip all the price gouging jokes. Im sure they will make things right........the Sochet on the sticker was pretty funny though.

Maybe you can sell one of these to nVidia to be teamed up with their "woodscrew" Fermi cards. :D

I would hazard to guess that NewEgg gets their stock from multiple distributors and not directly from Intel.
Multiple sourcing is important when you do business the way on-line suppliers do.
Chances are real good that NewEgg wasn't duped directly, but that their supplier was.

Sure NewEgg was duped , they were the last outfit to sell and handle the product which makes them liable. If NewEgg took the order and had a third party ship it then NewEgg is out of the picture but suffers bad PR.

Hahahahaha...I'm so sorry for your situation but that's pretty ridiculous looking. Why go through all the trouble of making a mold for a heatsink if the moment someone sees it, they will know its fake?

Because SOMETHING needs to be there through the little diecut in the box. Hence sticker on top of a plastic mold to make it look seemingly legit at a quick glance.

Also. WEIGHT. You think they're gonna just send a fake box out without anything to weigh it down like a heatsink would and have it go unnoticed until it's in the end user's hands?

You're not one of those people who returns empty boxes to the store and gets dismayed when they think it's too light, are you?

Grow the fuck up dude. You're acting like they did this on purpose. It's obvious that Newegg themselves got ripped off somehow and they are making it right by replacing it overnight. Newegg didn't get popular by being a shitty company. Go away.

Took the words right out of my mouth. This incident doesn't change what I think about NewEgg. I'd feel better now about dealing with NewEgg because they're taking every step to take care of the issue. They've acknowledged it and now they're sending out replacement orders to those affected. Far cry from deserving a shady reputation as if they told every customer who got one of these things to go fuck themselves.

Anyone who says ZOMG NEWEGG I'LL NEVER SHOP THERE AGAIN!!!1111, please... jump off a tall building and make sure you land with a handrail going up between your legs.

i think its kinda funny that display boxes have so many typos. The guy that made the youtube video says he tried to put it in his motherboard (thought maybe he wound up with an OEM with no heatsink? personally i woulda kept that thing far far away from the rest of my stuff) which completely destroyed the socket. Newegg is sending him a replacement motherboard too. So its not like they arent fixing problems that they didnt even personally create

Looks like newegg is sending out emails to possibly effected customers. I just got one.

The link says the image is too big and i can see the picture.

How do i see it!?

It's unfortunate this happened but the way Newegg is dealing with it only reinforces my already high opinion of them.

I don't see why newegg felt the need to lie about them being "Demo boxes" when its pretty obvious what transpired.

LMAO "demo" boxes with typos and shitty false HSF's. I am sure Intel could do much better than that for half the cost lol. They just don't want to admit they just got got.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back