Anyone else interested in WildStar?

Game looks to be shaping up quite well... they released a lot of info and videos at PAX East 2013 about housing, pvp (including warplots), combat design, and raiding. Looking forward to getting my hands on it soon(tm).

www.wildstar-central.com has been my fansite stomping grounds... it has a nice, active, friendly community... if you want to learn more about wildstar I'd highly recommend registering there and checking things out!

I'm really looking forward to playing this. I saw plenty of gameplay demos while at PAX East & although I didn't play it myself, it looks really good.

It looks like a cross between Armed and Dangerous, WoW and the Multi-Player from Giants to me.

Could be fun.

It will be the game that IMO, is less talked about and initially less recognized due to being overshadowed by TES:O, but I honestly think it LOOKS to have the potential to be the superior game. I know TES:O took "best in show," but I relate that moreso to the large following of the game from the success of the Elder Scrolls single player series. I honestly was not impressed with what I saw from TES:O at PAX (I'm sure I will pre-order and try it anyway), but WildStar looks incredible.

Game looks to be shaping up quite well... they released a lot of info and videos at PAX East 2013 about housing, pvp (including warplots), combat design, and raiding. Looking forward to getting my hands on it soon(tm)

I agree. Looks pretty cool!

*checks email*
0 messages
*checks spam mail*
0 messages, yay no spam!

:(.

lol ive also been spam checking my email for WildStar and TES:O invites to no avail. ARG!!!!

No luck here so far... :( . There's a tweet from Apr 4th saying they'd "announce" when they sent invites, but I wouldn't rule out that some/all have been sent and they will announce the wave with today's Wildstar Wednesday :(. Hoping one shows my way!

Still having a hard time getting over those nearly identicaly WoW graphics. Feels yucky to look at.

Gameplay will have to be vastly superior to WoW to make me consider it.

To those complaining about WoW looks, take a look at the trailers and other vids showing closeups.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1of_uohaUE

Enviroments may be WoWish but artstyle is not, instead it screams Pixar to me. I'm really digging it. Too bad its MMO so I wont be playing it. Bonus points for the furry jab though! XD

Good luck to everyone who got in beta.

It's shit to know I won't get in since they consider me "press"

This game has a lot of potential, the devs are making it appeal to both serious and casual gamers.

I think the success will depend primarily on the community.

Cinematic was cool... i'll admit that. I couldn't stop staring at her chest textures. Get your mind out of the gutter, it's because of the blurry ass texture of the grease or whatever it is on her shirt. Just like everything else in the game. That screams WoW textures to me. Feel like i need to put on glasses or something.

Im very impressed by the models however, they look cleaner, and have more polygonial fortitude to them. However no matter how many polygons you add, the style is "WoW" style and will always considered to be as long as they use this art direction.

Cinematic was cool... i'll admit that. I couldn't stop staring at her chest textures. Get your mind out of the gutter, it's because of the blurry ass texture of the grease or whatever it is on her shirt. Just like everything else in the game. That screams WoW textures to me. Feel like i need to put on glasses or something.

Im very impressed by the models however, they look cleaner, and have more polygonial fortitude to them. However no matter how many polygons you add, the style is "WoW" style and will always considered to be as long as they use this art direction.

I've been looking at WoW screenshots and concept art, and I have to disagree. Its not in WoW style. Although both are stylized but are not in same way.

Blurry textures is not the same thing as artstyle, it just means the graphics are not good. But again, graphics =/= aesthetics. I think Wildstar has good aesthetics because I love Pixar style, but they really could do better with texture and detail department. Bioshock Infinite (another stylized game) this is not.

Re: graphics, latest screenshots have razor-sharp stylized textures (from the dungeon they showed, 1920x1080 resolution) and they mention using DX11 for speed and a few visual effects in a new interview.

So much for a beta invite. I wonder if they'll do another wave of them soon...

They only have done a very small one so far... more and larger waves are coming within the next week or two.

Eh, they're just the publisher, like with Arenanet & guildwars 2 I gather.

Well publishers make huge decisions, that's why everyone hates on EA. Also, ncsoft was the publisher for GW2, not going to touch this with a 10 foot pole.

Well publishers make huge decisions, that's why everyone hates on EA. Also, ncsoft was the publisher for GW2, not going to touch this with a 10 foot pole.

I hadn't heard of ncsoft screwing up arenanet's plans for GW2, for better or worse... is there any news I don't know about on that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlYVhdNCoXI

here's the latest vid from developers about movement..these guys have a great sense of humor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MyI75JzS0E

housing vid

3 months ago in this thread, I stated this game does nothing for me...with more info coming out now and more vids, I'm slowly warming up to it....not sold yet..not by a mile but it is growing on me....imho, their direct competition is gw2...the scifi 'atmosphere' here is better than gw2's atmosphere for me...they both are action/rpgs

still alot of info not disclosed yet like 2 more classes to be announced, and no details on crafting ..they said they are working on the 'elder game' content and will have 40 man raids...and also pvp is a big deal and you can level that way..the whole 'war plots' thing looks interesting..also, game has 2 factions that fight each other

target is for a 2013 release..its in closed beta now with very few peeps in it..they plan on expanding that soon

Last edited:
To me it was the other way around, when news about the game first came out I was all happy for something slightly different and a "builder" class. The more info came out about the game the less interested I became.

The PvE combat with the ground effects showing players what's about to happen is totally meh.

I may check it out if there is no up-front cost but I certainly won't pay a dime for it based on what I have seen thus far.

The reason they show that is so players can dodge in time.

It's the same way in The Secret World, Neverwinter, etc.

Because it's an mmo players are constantly moving forward and fighting "new" enemies so it's not really a lot of time to learn every animation/hint of an enemies attack so instead they simply show the outline before it happens to allow players to know what's about to happen and dodge.

The reason they show that is so players can dodge in time.

It's the same way in The Secret World, Neverwinter, etc.

Because it's an mmo players are constantly moving forward and fighting "new" enemies so it's not really a lot of time to learn every animation/hint of an enemies attack so instead they simply show the outline before it happens to allow players to know what's about to happen and dodge.

One could argue that's dumbing down the game to not have to learn what enemies attack with what at endgame. I'd tend to agree... no more looking, just watch the circles and squares and don't stand in them. Simple is as simple does. :( TSW didn't use ground outlines for the bulk of enemy abilities, either, by the way. :)

I know it sounds like "in the old days we walked uphill both ways", but back in games like DAOC, we had to watch where enemies were pointing their giant heads, or watch for text cues that they were pissed off at Soandso (and even GASP react to which message it was to know what to do, while making sure we figured out where Soandso was so we could go to him or avoid him as needed), learn the spell animations to know what was being cast, etc.

No more. Now you get a green square if it's a good thing(tm) to run into... or a red circle if you shouldn't be standing there. Oh, and plenty of advance warning because the actual effect won't happen until you've had more than enough time to react to these shapes. ;) (I know there are other shapes too but you get the idea). I'm actually getting less interested the more I hear about Wildstar lately, to be honest... there are some very cool things like the housing, but some very bad things like these telegraphs, no non-instanced pvp (other than some griefing on so-called "pvp servers" with random skirmishing), and potential annoyances even if you play it just for hardcore raiding (40-man raiding has its own set of issues in pve...).

Last edited:
TSW used red circles/lines if the enemeis are using an abiltiy you can dodge (IT not a homing attack/firing).

At least all throughout the first 3 main area's of the game world.

I read there's an option to turn off the telegraphs..but yea, on raid bosses it may be 'ok' but normal mobs will get old real fast..instead of looking at the mobs we are gonna be looking at the ground all the time....another great idea with bad execution perhaps

personally, i still like tab targeting ..just give me a 'chance to hit' modifier on my gear stats/food buffs etc....and nothing should be 100%...ever

then again, I'm not a fan of twitch combat anyway

TSW used red circles/lines if the enemeis are using an abiltiy you can dodge (IT not a homing attack/firing).

At least all throughout the first 3 main area's of the game world.

Some attacks had red outlines or the white chalk ones, but many attacks in (nightmare) dungeons and the raid did not. It was dead simple to avoid the ones that did. However in the open world even some attacks didn't have outlines/etc. as well. While it sounds good on paper, it in reality dumbs down the gameplay and results in you paying more attention to the ground than the monsters.

I read there's an option to turn off the telegraphs..but yea, on raid bosses it may be 'ok' but normal mobs will get old real fast..instead of looking at the mobs we are gonna be looking at the ground all the time....another great idea with bad execution perhaps

personally, i still like tab targeting ..just give me a 'chance to hit' modifier on my gear stats/food buffs etc....and nothing should be 100%...ever

then again, I'm not a fan of twitch combat anyway

I like tab targeting frankly. Pure twitch or aim-based combat, I may as well be playing an FPS... and yeah, having to avoid special attacks constantly just while farming or fighting normal junk mobs in the world is going to get tedious, fast.

I am tired of tab targeting myself.

Having "twitch" or real time combat that allows a player to interact more doens't make the game an "fps" or any less of an rpg. Plenty of RPG games do this (The elder scrolls, Deus Ex, Vampire: TMB, Mass Effect, etc) and they are some of the best rpgs out there.

From a gameplay perspective I like combat to be fun, and tab-target, hotkey formula has worn out it's welcome to me. Technology has improved over the years and it's something that can be mor esimulated now6 since we have broadband and other things.

I have just found most people (that I talk to about it) to be tired of it. No one I know that plays an mmo has ever said to me, "I like playing the mmo becuase the combat is fun!" It's always "cause my friends play, because I like the loot finding, etc," never about combat.

That's one of hte main things I think they could have done and made Star Wars: The Old Republic into something unique/different, if combat was more action based, something you'd get out of Battlefront, Jedi Knight, Tie Fighter, It hink people would have been playing it still for the gameplay alone.

The average MMO style combat, which was mainly set fourth by Everquest, is what causes most people to "burn out," because the actual gameplay is just nothing fun to keep people interested. Unlike games where combat is what makes them fun (IE Minecraft, League of Legends, and even Battlefield/CoD), peopl play those games for the combat/gameplay, not for "loot" or sucht hings. That's the main step up that mmo's need to make an evolution toward. Instead of trying to get people to stick with their games based on the old loot-focused carrot on a stick routine, make the actual gameplay and the MAJORITY of what people spend their time doing FUN and exciting, not boring and monotonous.

Hell look at a game like Mount and Blade, that combat is 10x more fun then almost any mmo out there on the market. If you had archery, horses, melee combat (I actually would rather have a SEverance style of melee combat but still would take this over usual mmo style) a ton of people would play that kind of mmo. The only ones that really try to go for that are small indie mmo's that struggle and have no where near hte budget to support the idea's and come ot market with a ton of bugs/problems and 0 marketing to get a big community. No AAA backed mmo has really tried this, Guild wars 2 had one foot in and on efoot out and felt sloppy , it didn't want to go all the way, same with tera.

Last edited:
I have just found most people (that I talk to about it) to be tired of it. No one I know that plays an mmo has ever said to me, "I like playing the mmo becuase the combat is fun!" .

The problem is most MMO's are so dumbed down nowadays that the combat isn't fun. DAOC I had a blast with the combat, it was like a real-time turnbased system. Rift I enjoyed for its complex spec system that could make some killer hybrids with more unique PVP gameplay. WAR was interesting with the collision detection but the ability design didn't lend itself to too much 1vX victories, having been dumbed down somewhat and largely bound to the GCD. Action RPG's are cool and all, but I'd go play Diablo 3 or something if I wanted that... if you make it twitch based it is an FPS with fantasy graphics basically. I think the best thing is a slight mix, with a dodge-type ability for some extra movement, but mostly target-based and the tactics of positioning, ability timing, and coordination making for the winners. Hard interrupts contributed to this a lot in DAOC... WOW felt like a kiddie pool combat-wise to me ;). SWTOR had a glimpse of goodness in its combat for me as a Sentinel (marauder for you filthy imps!) due to the number of off-GCD abilities and the leaps, too.

Back