Anybody Else find the Codename "Fermi" Annoying?

Rauelius

2[H]4U
I keep browsing websites and seeing nVidia press releases state;

"Apple's Snow Leopard will be able to use Fermi!"

"Fermi will work on P55 motherboards!"

"Fermi takes aim at Super Computing!"

"Fermi has 512 Cuda Cores!" (WTF ARE CUDA CORES?!?!?!....I know they are nVidia's cute name for Pixel Processors, they just like being different..)

"Fermi confirmed to cure cancer, aids, swineflu, Super Aids, Aging, restless legs syndrome, short sightedness, laughing diarrhea, addiction to drugs, hiccups, Alzheimers, gas, migraines, a need to post senseless things in forums, nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea."

Ok...all those are actually a fraction of the press releases I pulled off my RSS feeds...all except that last one, that's my own little gem.

It just annoys me how nV is touting how "Femi" can do all these mundane things that it should do. We've been using Video cards for super computing for years (GPU Folding anyone?) Damn straight it better work with the P55 and Snow Leopard! Awesome 512 PIXEL PROCESSORS, still less than the competition, but nV's have always been a bit more efficient(IE the GTX260 with 216 is comprable to a 4870 with 800).

I just wish they stuck with G300, because Fermi sounds soooooo annoying.

Fermi was a noble prize winning physicist from Italy and also known as the father of the atomic bomb

Probably the guy its named after? kinda like Tesla *shrug

sounds cooler than naming it after trees

Fermi was a noble prize winning physicist from Italy and also known as the father of the atomic bomb

Tru story

The guy sounds worthy, but I agree that his name sounds kinda funny. Tesla would actually have been a better option, I think.

i keep think some fungus, or fergi from Black eye'd peas.

is the card 'fermenting' until it is ready.

Awesome 512 PIXEL PROCESSORS, still less than the competition, but nV's have always been a bit more efficient(IE the GTX260 with 216 is comprable to a 4870 with 800).

It's not a matter of efficiency, it's a matter of definitions. An ATI "core", stream processor or whatever is not the same as a Nvidia core or "cuda core".

I detest the name. Because when I see it at first sight it looks like it reads "Furgy."

I hate ther. So much.

I would be very sad if those of you who are disappointed with the name are so because you didn't know who Enrico Fermi was. Likewise with Nikola Tesla.

It's short for "Fermentation", apparently the GT300 will also make beer. :p

Wah, wah, wah. It could have been worse. They could have named it Spermi.

I would be very sad if those of you who are disappointed with the name are so because you didn't know who Enrico Fermi was. Likewise with Nikola Tesla.

Everyone knows tesla - after all it's a/c!!
Fermi... Was a less prolific researcher.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

It's a stupid name. I wont say it out loud and I will not type it out unless it's really necessary, but it could have been worse. I will refer to them as GT300 and GT300 architecture.

For some reason, every time I see Fermi used in context of nVIDIA, I think of Ridge Racer. Riiiiidge Racer!

Anybody Else find the Codename "Fermi" Annoying?
No, it's only the codename for the chip.

Back