Any reliable brands BESIDES APC, for a UPS?

Weaksauce
Ok i m sure many people around the world wonder the same thing. I want a UPS, but the top brand (as everyone says), APC is too expensive. Now that i have an 1700 euro system almost ready, i think of a 1500VA UPS and the price is real high. So, ANY OTHER trustworthy brands besides APC, that are obviously cheaper?

I've always had good luck with CyberPower UPSs.

It does seem like there is a fair degree of consensus that Cyber Power units are good. I've been eyeballing this unit for some time to replace a 1000VA Belkin unit that finally decided to croak.

I would vote for CyberPower as well. In fact, I have stayed away from APC when looking for consumer UPS units lately.

The unit cortexodus linked is an older unit, however, and may have compatibility problems with some (but certainly not all or even most) power supplies.

The newer units can be found on Amazon here:
http://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP...TF8&qid=1340642361&sr=8-3&keywords=cyberpower

Unfortunately, Amazon's current pricing for these units is not too great right now compared to historical prices, but they are solid units even at the posted prices.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
i think of a 1500VA UPS and the price is real high.

Consider refirbished with new batteries. This is how you get server quality UPSs for home user prices.

It does seem like there is a fair degree of consensus that Cyber Power units are good. I've been eyeballing this unit for some time to replace a 1000VA Belkin unit that finally decided to croak.

Be careful if you get that unit, it likely won't work if you an active pfc power supply (you probably do).

You'll likely want to get this version:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102132

It's compatible with newer power supplies. I just got one of them today and so far I'm pretty impressed. It's dead silent, came charged and seems to do what it's intended to do however I only tested it for 2 full minutes by unplugging it from the wall.

Be careful if you get that unit, it likely won't work if you an active pfc power supply

In practice I have seen this to be not as bad as some say meaning for the 20 to 30 UPSs I have here at work with simulated sine waves (heck the cheaper models look like square wave) all function with active pfc power supplies. Although we are not loading them crazy since a typical work desktop has a fanless GPU.

In my opinion, APC, Liebert/Emerson, Eaton only. Cyberpower has never been on my list and never will be, nor will Belkin or anything like that. I can't understand how you guys would possibly trust your power to such low-end companies.

In practice I have seen this to be not as bad as some say meaning for the 20 to 30 UPSs I have here at work with simulated sine waves (heck the cheaper models look like square wave) all function with active pfc power supplies. Although we are not loading them crazy since a typical work desktop has a fanless GPU.

I called Cyberpower and he said they tend to fail more often with 500w or more PSUs and/or high load. The newer model is actually cheaper atm too for 1000va, so it's not like it'll cost more. For the other models the price difference is close enough to not really matter.

In my opinion, APC, Liebert/Emerson, Eaton only. Cyberpower has never been on my list and never will be, nor will Belkin or anything like that. I can't understand how you guys would possibly trust your power to such low-end companies.
I agree with CyberPower being junk.

I usually go with APC and Tripp-lite.

Never had any issues with my CyberPower units.

It's a battery and a goddamn board with some voltage regulation stuff on it, not that complicated.

You are correct it isn't. Issue with these combinations are the rare minority.

CyberPower actually has some of the best PFC compatibility out of all consumer UPS units with their PFC consumer line.

This was already discussed in another thread, but while server grade refurbished units almost always have better protection, reliability, and runtime they also have many downsides that make them unattractive to many home users to the point where directly comparing the two is not valid.

This was already discussed in another thread, but while server grade refurbished units almost always have better protection, reliability, and runtime they also have many downsides that make them unattractive to many home users to the point where directly comparing the two is not valid.

It was practically no work for me to locate my UPS somewhere where I don't have to listen to it when I use my computer stuff. Why is that so hard for you guys? It took me less than an hour to relocate it. And it's not like all SmartUPS units are huge and super loud. Some of them are reasonably sized and of reasonable volume and can be found for a reasonable price. The GXT2 I had and my current APC (which is way overkill for most) are quite loud and big, but not all are.

And I'm sorry... I'll buy a Cyber Power UPS about as soon as I'd buy a low-end computer power supply. Not sure how you guys can be all about the high-end PSUs while sticking up for the low-end UPS. If you guys want to trust them then go for it. In all honesty, it's probably not going to set your house on fire. But I don't think they're even priced decently. You could get a used/refurb SmartUPS with new batteries for the same price.

Have you used CyberPower units? I can't speak for everything the company produces, but the units that I have owned have been rock solid. I like them better then APC's current consumer oriented units. Their voltage regulation is pretty darn good too, certainly right in line with other line-interactive units.

My CyberPower units are also more efficient than my APC units, drawing less power from the wall with the same load connected, and quieter under battery operation, too.

The CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD has been awesome for me so far throughout brownouts and two lighting strikes (which took out equipment on the same circuit not connected to the UPS).

I also have a CyberPower OR500LCDRM1U for networking gear in my closet which I am very happy with.

Also, I have a server closet with a rack and a rackmount APC UPS, but in my living room, the UPS sits three feet from me on a shelving unit with audio gear. Moving it would require extending a dozen cables or the added expense of a PDU, and even then, it would be moved behind my couch. Which would not alleviate any of my concerns.

My walls are shared, too, so moving the unit to the other side of the wall is not an option.

Take a look at the "Post your Workstation 2012" thread. Many of those setups have limited space to work with and/or are in shared rooms.

EDIT: The only thing that I wish that the CP1500PFCLCD had that the similarly priced APC unit (APC BR1500G BACK-UPS Pro) has is an extended battery option.

Last edited:
I haven't used them. You may think of it as trolling, but I happen to appreciate a company that has been around and is well-proven. I was giving the same argument against a particular suspension company that is semi-popular on the forums for my car. People are choosing this company called Pedders over Koni, and I can't understand it, because Koni has been around for over 100 years and is one of the most proven brands out there. That means a lot to me. Maybe it doesn't to everyone, but I personally think it should.

I have never had issue with Cyberpower or Omega UPSs. APC is ok, but they are way too expensive for what they are; their business units are good but expensive, but the consumer units are nothing short of a ripoff.

I use a Minuteman e1100 for my main server UPS and use the basic surge style ups for everything else. Mainly Trip-Lite or APC. Batteries are relatively cheap so I test them every year and refresh the batteries as they lose charge.

Consider refirbished with new batteries. This is how you get server quality UPSs for home user prices.

^this. I picked up an APC 1500 for less than $100 on ebay last year, works fine. There will be some that they only have 'buy it now' which are high priced, but sometimes you can find one up for bids, thats how I got mine (from the same company that had the same UPS 'buy it now' for $189. One thing; they weigh a ton so shipping is gonna cost you either way. The local computer fair guys here also periodically have both new and refurbished UPS's by APC, so if you have them by you check that out too. The vendors don't usually have the big ones on the tables, but in the back or underneath (that's where I got the APC 1100 which preceeded the 1500). Sometimes it's cheaper to pick up surplus than replace the batteries.

I own a Belkin UPS and CyperPower UPS like the one ZangMonkey mentioned, both have been very reliable.

Last edited:
I have not looked a that one on an oscilloscope. If I have some free time at work (rare) I will try that.

I am almost decided on getting the Cyberpower sinewave 1500VA since my new super pc has a corsair tx750 which is pfc.

The thing is i still don't know enough to feel good about buying something i do not fully understand what it does. I am reading about what sinewave is. I emailed three questions to Cyberpower about this product and they gladly replied in length, which i appreciate.

One of my questions was about the included AVR in the product. It is a "single boost" one and i wonder how effective it is compared to plain AVRs that are found in the market. Any commects?

Back