Any dual i7 MoBo's?

ShiShKaBoB

Gawd
Are there any dual i7 motherboards available to purchase? Looking to place 2 i7's and use DDR3 non ecc - is it possible yet?

why would you WANT two of them to begin with? Utterly pointless unless he needs to build a ridiculous server.

Or video encoding... x264 would eat up all 16 threads.

Yea video encoding would really be the only reason. most high end graphics wouldn't even use half that....

I like the idea of a skull trail for an i7 system though.

The days of dropping two desktop CPUs in a board, doing a bit of modding, and having a sweet overclocking beast are long behind us.

RIP: BP6, K7D, etc.

The days of dropping two desktop CPUs in a board, doing a bit of modding, and having a sweet overclocking beast are long behind us.

RIP: BP6, K7D, etc.
Mainly because we have two-four cpu's on a single chip and no longer need two sockets to get the same 'type' of performance that the BP6 etc provided.

True, but i still see a huge market if intel made a skulltrial mobo for the i7's people love their skulltrials i know alot of people who refuse to upgrade to an i7 just because how good those dual extreme cores are.

That or they are just embarrassed they spent 2 - 3k on outdated cpus....

True, but i still see a huge market if intel made a skulltrial mobo for the i7's people love their skulltrials i know alot of people who refuse to upgrade to an i7 just because how good those dual extreme cores are.

That or they are just embarrassed they spent 2 - 3k on outdated cpus....

Skulltrail is/was quite a niche thing. Think of how few people buy high end CPUs; us enthusiasts are a rather small percentage of the entire market spectrum and the vast majority of us don't buy top end SKUs. How many of those actually bought a Skulltrain setup. Unless design time is next to nothing, I couldn't see the ROI in making a dual 1366 Skulltrail setup other than for marketing garbage.

Why is there such controversy of a dual i7 system? There are tons of dual Core2Quads and there was no controversy. Its called Xeon.

The only dual core i7's are the 55xx series "Gainestown" Xeons.

I guess a more politically correct thread title would have been "Any dual LGA1366 MoBo's?" In that case, a quick Newegg search will show quite a few. The only difference this time around is that the desktop AND server boards/CPU's use the same socket BUT only Xeon's will work in the dual socket boards.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xeon Scroll down to "Gainestown"

The SR-2 and it's a crunching monster. It's the only X58 platform I'd consider if I had the money to burn.

Is this the ultimate with two xeon 5520 overclock to 4ghz ? Something you must have or would you rather skip it?

Is this the ultimate with two xeon 5520 overclock to 4ghz ? Something you must have or would you rather skip it?

only purpose it serves is for making multi processor rendering machines and running folding@home.. and yes it will allow 4ghz overclocks on xeons..

I was drooling until you threw that awful case in there. This thing deserves nothing less then Lian Li's best.

I was drooling until you threw that awful case in there. This thing deserves nothing less then Lian Li's best.

Well that's partially from the fact that the SR-2 wouldn't fit in anything from Lian Li's except for their best (most expensive) :p

Back