Antec Releases One-of-a-Kind Open-Air Chassis

I think the case looks awesome, but I don't think I'd trade looks and "holey"ness (Heh) for the louder sound.

Adding more fans seems like the design concept these days.
They seem not to care about optimizing natural airflow, everything is by force with Antec.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, with the Lanboy Air everything is about options. If you wanted to, you could strip the LBA down to just the two fans in the front and one in the rear. But you could also load it with as many as 15 fans.

Still wont fit a SR-2 will it?

Unfortunately not.

You could maybe fit a WC loop in it

You can easily install a dual-rad on the top. Legit Reviews even installed (or as they called it, shoehorned) a dual radiator on each side of the HDD cage.

How is the case held together? Are they bolts or screws/nuts? It'd be pretty cool if we could disassemble it.

It looks pretty neat but I don't like the looks of it myself - that's just a personal preference. I wonder what's its strength rating if somebody were to sit on it - like how many pounds can it support from the top standing upright? I know some people put heavy things on their cases or even sit on it.

I personally probably won't get one but it's sure a nice concept. I would love to see a "professional test bench" and not the funky skeleton one that Antec has and I may just pull the trigger on getting one.

Red looks the most natural, blue and yellow = a knife to my eyes.

Looks pretty awesome to me. But I think I'd still rather stick with my HAF X. I don't move my case much at all, so portability isn't very important for me and I'll bet that it keeps my hardware just as cool, if not cooler.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, with the Lanboy Air everything is about options. If you wanted to, you could strip the LBA down to just the two fans in the front and one in the rear. But you could also load it with as many as 15 fans.

Unfortunately not.

You can easily install a dual-rad on the top. Legit Reviews even installed (or as they called it, shoehorned) a dual radiator on each side of the HDD cage.

any idea when the red will be available to the USA market? This isn't going to replace my chrome antec for my next build but I know at least two people that would love their next build in a red version of this.

The features are pretty sweet but I'm not sold on the looks of it.

I have an Antec Super LANBOY case from 2005 and it rocks. :cool: Its only design flaw is that the PSU is mounted at the top instead of the bottom. But the top-heavy design isn't an issue for me since it can't tip over (wall on 1 side, monitor on the other).

I think all black/charcoal would look better than yellow/blue/red.

Wouldnt being open like that significantly reduce (or eliminate) inside pressure and reduce fan efficiency?

Also, I seem to remember reading that its better for HD's to be solidly mounted vs "freely suspended" It was a while ago, I dont remember the reasoning.

That case looks huge! I love my simple Antec Nine Hundred style. Thanks though! =)

I am not a lan boy, but I love the modularity and nice thinking that went into that case, like the secret jewelbox and retractable handles. Although a case that can fit 11 drives probably needs a levitation engine rather than handles. Mesh and portable case don't seem to work together, unless you carefully pack your case each time, meaning the handles are not so helpful.

Gotta laugh at the "positive air pressure" for a mesh case. Or is it a special Dupont™ mesh fabric that lets the air in but not out? ^-^

Gotta laugh at some of the comments too:
the world is transitioning to 2.5" SSD's.

How many people still really use their CD/DVD drives anymore?

Congrats Antec. The price is extremely good value considering the LAN gamer market looks like a minuscule niche to me. This unique case looks more like a statement on your state-of-the-artness than a profitable product. I'd love to read more about the economics of this portable LAN gamer market on [H], by the way.

Good case if you are continually changing parts but I see that design as being too noisy because it has no insulation against noise. Friend of mine has a case that is open air like that but he only uses it for testing parts on.

Well considering that I have the older P180 case as well the Antec Lanboy Air now, I think I can help partially answer this:

The Antec LBA does not destroy the P182 in terms of quietness, sound dampening or dust filters. However the LBA does offer a bit more room and flexibility (i.e the modualarity). The LBA does offer the capability to have quad-SLI using dual slot video cards. Then again the market for quad-sli with dual slot video cards might be small. But that does showcase how much room this case has.

So for your original question: IMO, the answer is yes and no. IMO, there is no one big feature that will sway you over from your P182. It's merely how many of the little features that the LBA has over the P182 that you like and whether or not those little features add up to enough for you to replace the P182 with the LBA.

By little features, I mean the following:
- Capability to have video cards up to 16" in length
- Ability to reconfigure the case like switching from a bottom to top mount PSU or moving the hard drives or DVD drive to be parallel or perpendicular to the case.
- The case handles
- The singular front USB 3.0 port
- Whether or not you like the aesthetics of the case,
- The ability to add two 2.5" hard drives or SSDs without taking up any of the other 3.5" or 5.25" bays
- Removable motherboard tray
- Large cutout in the motherboard tray for easy access to the mounting systems of large HSF.

I hope the above helps answer your question

And to show off:D

hey we are using the same ArticCooling HSF

Thanks for the information, it looks really good. The only thing that would be concrete is the extra room to fit video cards in. Thats actually a pretty big detail. The modular agility of this case is massive as well, its very state of the art but not necessarily practical for me, I'm still holding off on making the dump to SSD's till they get a bit more lifespan to them.

Sound dampening is a pretty huge issue for me as well, I really do love the P182. Damn I really want to move to this.

Saw this case at PAX East , they had a contest to see how many possibilities there were to configure it. I never got the total though. The guy next to me was actually working out the math on a freakin HP calculator when I was giving my answer . I looked over, saw him, and then just wrote a random number lol

Hey Jessie, what was the answer btw?

Contest is ongoing!

http://www.antec.com/lbacontest/

During Ryan's video review of the LanBoy Air over at PCPerspective he mentioned that the Antec manual says there are 34,800 configurations!!

Antec's inspiration..

5132364.jpg

Damn...rats and bugs? Clean house much? :eek:

Fake and ghey! Oh wait, this isn't youtube...

I like the modular front, which is a good idea. But it would get full of rats and insects in about 3 days. Also the lack of something solid means doing a wind tunnel would be a bitch. Air would just blow around aimlessly...

hey we are using the same ArticCooling HSF

Thanks for the information, it looks really good. The only thing that would be concrete is the extra room to fit video cards in. Thats actually a pretty big detail. The modular agility of this case is massive as well, its very state of the art but not necessarily practical for me, I'm still holding off on making the dump to SSD's till they get a bit more lifespan to them.

Sound dampening is a pretty huge issue for me as well, I really do love the P182. Damn I really want to move to this.

Yup same HSF :)

Yeah I love my P180 as well mainly due to the clean look of it. With that said, something about the look of the LBA case is really attractive.

Speaking of sounds, even with the fans all on low, the LBA is noticeably audible than the P180. And yes both cases are side by side right now.

My concern is the HHD's not laying totally flat. HHD's must be mounted
totally horizontal or vertical, but never at any degree of angle if you expect
the bearing to not burn out prematurity.

It looks pretty neat but I don't like the looks of it myself - that's just a personal preference. I wonder what's its strength rating if somebody were to sit on it - like how many pounds can it support from the top standing upright? I know some people put heavy things on their cases or even sit on it.
Well, for reference, I know the Antec 1200 can solidly support at least about 215 lbs sitting on top of it.

Yup same HSF :)

Yeah I love my P180 as well mainly due to the clean look of it. With that said, something about the look of the LBA case is really attractive.

Speaking of sounds, even with the fans all on low, the LBA is noticeably audible than the P180. And yes both cases are side by side right now.

Yes, the look on the P182 is amazingly clean, most people don't even know its a computer. My wife walked into my room asking where it was at with it at her feet! The gun metal is a very classy look IMO.

Its a shame about the noise, too bad Antec doesn't take the P180 design into a more modular, lower weight design as well.

I guess I won't make the move to to this, if I need to fit a longer card in the P182 I can still remove the smaller housing assembly inside. I just won't have the option for SLI/CFX

I seen these fugly cases at PAX.. They claimed "They don't collect dust".. Some Old guy challenged like this:
Old Man: "How so?"
Antec Rep: "It just doesn't"
Old Man: "There are 12 fans in this thing, it will collect dust"
Antec Rep: "Nope it's how the air flows through the case"
Old Man: "Impossibe, I won't be purchasing lies"

Dear Antec, quit making shit that looks like a prop from a third rate sci-fi show. This thing and the "Dark Fleet" crap are abominable.

Dear Antec, quit making shit that looks like a prop from a third rate sci-fi show. This thing and the "Dark Fleet" crap are abominable.

Dear Reus,

Quit dictating to everyone else what we should buy and what we shouldn't. There are 10000000 other cases for you to chose if you don't like this one.

Sincerely, Azhar.

It's not bad looking, I'd buy one. At the moment though, I'm using an Antec Skeleton and I really like that one.

+ 1

Feels like I'm out on the North Sea going through my toolbox in search of my welding gloves. Its bloody hideous!
Incidentally my toolbox happens to be in yellow colour.

Very cool. Although betrayed somewhat by the inclusion of plastic, it looks very rugged.

I seen these fugly cases at PAX.. They claimed "They don't collect dust".. Some Old guy challenged like this:
Old Man: "How so?"
Antec Rep: "It just doesn't"
Old Man: "There are 12 fans in this thing, it will collect dust"
Antec Rep: "Nope it's how the air flows through the case"
Old Man: "Impossibe, I won't be purchasing lies"

ROFL.

Old guy keepin it real for the fucking win.

Gotta laugh at the "positive air pressure" for a mesh case. Or is it a special Dupont™ mesh fabric that lets the air in but not out? ^-^

If all the fans are blowing inward and venting out of the top then that is an example of...?

ROFL.

Old guy keepin it real for the fucking win.

By real, do you mean sticking to his stubborn ignorance?

By real, do you mean sticking to his stubborn ignorance?

The thing is going to collect dust... For crying out loud, fans collect dust moving 24/7. So it is false advertising when you have 5 people whispering in your ear "this case doesn't collect dust".

Damn...rats and bugs? Clean house much? :eek:

Hey, I live next to a graveyard! But it was a reference to..this!!! Imagine those people owning this case. I clean stuff when I have to (every week), but I do spill stuff constantly however...does it come with a splash guard?

I think I'm in love, but it would never work out between the two of us, she's high maintenance...

The thing is going to collect dust... For crying out loud, fans collect dust moving 24/7. So it is false advertising when you have 5 people whispering in your ear "this case doesn't collect dust".

Don't argue that bullshit with me. Tards are crying it will be a dust magnet. What other people are saying is it not only won't it collect dust any worse than a regular pc, it will collect much less. No god damn shit it will collect some amount of dust.

Back