Antec P180

got mine set up awhile back, it was an absolute pain to install the PSU (Modstream 520), definatly wouldn't recommend that PSU with this case. I have 4 120 mm's, a 92, and one 80 in the case, VERY VERY QUIET. Much quieter than my roomate's expensive Lian-Li setup. Very recommended! Kinda heavy though =(

3700+ San Diego
MSI Neo4 Ultra
2 gig of Patriot 2-3-2-5
eVGA 6800GT
Modstream 520
Thermalright XP-90

CPU: 28 idle/32 load
GPU: 58 idle/65 load
System: 26

I was able to mount 120mm fans in both spots up front. Pretty easy really. I'll post pics after I have it all built.

My P180's door doesnt shut properly, anyone has the same problem?
Is there a way to remove the door?

My door shuts really smooth. Very nicely made. I actually just have my door swung back the 270* right now.

samxuau said:
My P180's door doesnt shut properly, anyone has the same problem?
Is there a way to remove the door?

Can you elaborate on that? Where does it seem to be hanging up?

SarverSystems said:
Can you elaborate on that? Where does it seem to be hanging up?

Hard to explan... but the door seems shut pretty tight than before.
It's so weird, the door seems to expand (out of shape) and shrink (shuts tight) depends on the room temp condition... :confused:

samxuau said:
Hard to explan... but the door seems shut pretty tight than before.
It's so weird, the door seems to expand (out of shape) and shrink (shuts tight) depends on the room temp condition... :confused:
rma it? it most be bad since you are noticing it, i never heard any one describing problem with the door. my door opens and closes smooth. :D

linjy2 said:
rma it? it most be bad since you are noticing it, i never heard any one describing problem with the door. my door opens and closes smooth. :D

I had to P180 cases in my room this week and I can confirm this. The Aluminum like any other metal streches when its warm causing it to unbow making the door close evenly across the front. When the metal is cold, it causes the metal to bend causing the "bow" effect in this case. Theres nothing you can do about this, its simple physics at work with the molecules of the aluminum being shifted via the ambient tempature of the air

IceWind said:
I had to P180 cases in my room this week and I can confirm this. The Aluminum like any other metal streches when its warm causing it to unbow making the door close evenly across the front. When the metal is cold, it causes the metal to bend causing the "bow" effect in this case. Theres nothing you can do about this, its simple physics at work with the molecules of the aluminum being shifted via the ambient tempature of the air
must be some crazy temp change to notice it still right? most people have their case sitting at room temp anyways

IceWind said:

you sure you dont have that backwards. If there is a "bowing" it should happen at higher temperatures where the metal has expanded, not at lower temperatures.

Besides the point, unless you are moving the thing from a freezer to the 115 degree outdoor heat there should not be any measureable difference in the metal.

Erasmus354 said:
you sure you dont have that backwards. If there is a "bowing" it should happen at higher temperatures where the metal has expanded, not at lower temperatures.

Besides the point, unless you are moving the thing from a freezer to the 115 degree outdoor heat there should not be any measureable difference in the metal.

I have the same problem, it was bowing when room temp is cold, but it changed when i turn my heater on... U just need to use it your self to believe it.
I think the metal on the door is too thin which caused this problem, or could be the plastic... :confused:

Oh yeah, I just checked and I have the same "bowing" effect, it's not too bad though plus I don't look at the case much, doesn't really bother me.

If you open the door, and look on the backside of the door, you'll see 15 places where the metal is attached to the plastic. With a small straight-edge screwdriver, slightly pry up on the metal tabs. Just pry them up a tiny bit, and that should be enough to allow the metal to flex without flexing the plastic.

Question about a broken piece.. I have a post about it elsewhere but I figured I should ask here because I realized something...

So one of my 120mm fan mounts is broken, the one in the lower chamber next to the PSU.

But I realized...:
... I just looked at the mount, right? And the piece that snapped is the thin piece that is holding on the big fat black piece that goes on the side of the fan. Does that big fat black piece serve any purpose? Because if not then I'll just snap the other thin piece thats holding it on and take it out, because my main worry about the broken piece was that it would rattle like hell.

fancaddy.jpg

See that piece on the right? One of the thin parts holding it is what snapped. So does that serve any purpose at all? Should I detach that fat piece? Or would I be better off with paying a forumer for a replacement fan mount?

It acts as a handle so you pull the plastic piece off.

You don't "need" the plastic piece at all actually. If you look, there's 4 holes already in the metal plate to mount the fan to.

Currently waiting for the the processor and graphics cards to ship from dell, zzfly...

I'm building a comp for 3D and video editing - and an after hours gaming workhorse.
So far I've go this setup.

Antec P-180 Case
Antec NeoPower 480w PS
MSI K8N nForce4 Neo4 / SLi mobo
2g Corsair ValueSelect (2x 1gb) PC3200 DDR400
2 BFG 7800 GT OC'd in SLi (delldeal)
AMD Athlon X2 4400+

Couple questions...

1) Stock airflow on a P180 is good, but will I be stable with AMD retail fan? (no OC yet.)
2) VGA cooler on P180. Do I even need that shiz for 2x 7800 GT's.
3) Anybody have this Corsair ram? Is it good?

t[H]anks

stock heatsink airflow is decent. i was idlign around 37C all on low speed case fan. so it is quite stable, although i suggest a better heatsink. stock amd heatsink was the loudest piece in my computer, i think it runs at 40-45dba.

and no need for the vga duct. i suggest a intake fan if you havnt purchase one yet.

Back