• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Another nice thing about upgrading to SB...

MassiveOverkill

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 8, 2005
Messages
1,748
Is not having to upgrade my power supply, nor my UPS to support the extra wattage. I wonder if power supply companies are seeing any decline in sales from the reduced need to upgrade your PS. Then again I'm sure they love Nvidia and Fermi to help offset the sales lost to ATI graphic setups. I've been able to transplant my trusty 750 Strider to 3 builds so far.
 
well considering that ATi has done a pretty good job of keeping their power envelope constant regarding the 4000-6000 series and Intel has done the same with C2D to Sandy Bridge platform, it's no wonder your PSU has been able to make it so long.. my 650W unit will be making the transition to the next build for me as well.
 
As a 24/7 folder, I'm glad I was able to go to SB setup without having to fork out another $150-200 for new psu. Transplanted my Seasonic x650 from old to new build.
 
yep, using my 2+ year old Corsair TX750w. Brought it over from a C2D -> AM3 Quad -> SB 2600k
 
LOL i dont think i have ever needed to upgrade a PSU because of a cpu upgrade before.
 
LOL i dont think i have ever needed to upgrade a PSU because of a cpu upgrade before.

Yeah, usually its the video cards that drive the need for the PSU upgrade...

CPU's tend to not have huge increases power requirements from generation to generation due to the process die shrinks which at the same time as they make the CPU's able to be faster, make them require less power for it.
 
Zarathustra[H];1036774040 said:
Yeah, usually its the video cards that drive the need for the PSU upgrade...

CPU's tend to not have huge increases power requirements from generation to generation due to the process die shrinks which at the same time as they make the CPU's able to be faster, make them require less power for it.

Honestly, video cards need to catch up with the size and power requirements.
 
The GPU market is also in more of a performance battle. The cpu market has been pretty one sided for the last few years so Intel can chose efficiency over max performance.
 
Sandy is max performance and efficiency bro.

The point he's making is that since there is such a large performance gap between Intel and AMD, Intel does not need to squeeze out every last bit of performance out of their CPU's. They can make them efficient while still wiping the floor with AMD. Neither AMD nor nVidia have that luxury in the GPU market.
 
The point he's making is that since there is such a large performance gap between Intel and AMD, Intel does not need to squeeze out every last bit of performance out of their CPU's. They can make them efficient while still wiping the floor with AMD. Neither AMD nor nVidia have that luxury in the GPU market.

ya I am sure his point is that AMD sucks and intel pwns, I know I read the post and I Thought the same thing.
 
Tables turned, indeed However, it wasn't to long ago a particular dual core P4 was at 130Ws vs AMD's X2 at 95W's...just remember that.

I think AMD needs to focus back on CPU's and not so much on ATI...just my thought.
 
I understand, but the truth of the matter is Sandy is the newest tech out there with the efficiency.
 
I had an AX850 but I blew it by losing some coolant from my loop into it on accident. But I went back to my trusty old Antec Trupower 650watt and its powering my rig with dual 6970s.
 
Tables turned, indeed However, it wasn't to long ago a particular dual core P4 was at 130Ws vs AMD's X2 at 95W's...just remember that.

I think AMD needs to focus back on CPU's and not so much on ATI...just my thought.

It was actually quite a while ago when AMD was on top of Intel. As far as the CPU, AMD is fighting where it has the ability to win. They have the resources to compete with nVidia, they certainly do not have the resources to compete with Intel. Intel needs to slip up for AMD to be on top. They aren't going to do it without some help.
 
My old SLI'd GTX275 system with i7 @ 4.0 Ghz would trip my 750VA UPS (it was rare, but if both GPU/CPU were running full-bore, it would happen). My 750 watt PS could handle the rig, but was real close on the edge. One of the reasons why I 'downgraded' to my 5850 was because of the heat and power requirements of the SLI'd GTX275 setup.

If I get another 5850 for CF, it's nice to know that the SB will give me enough leeway in power consumption to where I won't have to upgrade my PS.

So the point of my thread wasn't that CPU's are the most power-hungry component of a system, but that the power efficiencty of the new SB CPU's may be enough to prevent you having to upgrade your 600-750 watt power supply with current or future single/multi GPU setups.

In my case, going from a Silverstone 750 to 850 (has to be modular so I can use my short-cable kit) is an extra $30 bucks. I have a buyer for my Phenom II X6, mobo, and RAM, and I don't have to try and sell my power supply at a loss, because I know it's enough to power a crossfire rig, or high-end single GPU, especially with SB.

16 gigs of 1.5V RAM doesn't hurt either (vs 1.65). both in power and heat generated.

Finally, there are still alot of rigs with the power supply mounted in the traditional top location of the case. With the power supply sucking up less heat from the CPU, it should run more efficient.
 
LOL i dont think i have ever needed to upgrade a PSU because of a cpu upgrade before.

Sometimes, it's not necessarily the CPU forcing the issue, but the motherboard's power requirements.

LGA1366/1156/1155 motherboards (and some LGA755 motherboards) require 8-pin EPS power; however, older LGA775 motherboards (and current-model lower-end 775 boards) do not. Most lower-wattage PSUs don't support the 8-pin EPS power standard, while most midrange and high-end PSUs do.

Had I been able to go with my original PSU choice (Silencer 610) I would be able to migrate it to Sandy Bridge; however, I was caught off-guard by the model change-over (read: MicroCenter ran out of stock). Therefore, I'll be buying the Silencer Mk. II 650 (initally for Mighty Mouse), which will migrate to the new build.
 
Sandy is max performance
Look at the overclocking results people are getting with sandy bridge, they are taking the fastest sandy bridge chip Intel sells and then adding a substantial amount of speed on top (sometimes going as high as 5GHz). Yes Intel has to do a higher level of QA than overclockers do but still if they wanted to I'm quite sure they could sell chips with higher stock speeds.

So why don't they? Probably because they don't see a reason to. With no competition it makes more sense to dribble out the performance gradually. They also probablly want to leave themselves room to differentiate the high end sandy bridge stuff when it comes out on LGA2011 and/or LGA1356.
 
Back
Top