• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Another “Laptop Hunter” Ad From Microsoft

I think the "BLUUUURAY!!!" is another thing that they just left in there very intentionally.
 
Most effective one IMO is the $1000 or less one. Simply because there's exactly 1 apple laptop that fits the bill.
 
All i have to say is in this picture...

creepyeyes.jpg
 
Okay, stupid mother/son team finds a computer. Great. I think Worst Buy is the last place I'd shop for a computer, but whatever. At least the young chick that was helping them was pretty hot.
 
This is the best advertising Microsoft has done in years. I am actually looking forward to seeing new ads. Moreover, these ads are remarkably "honest." One of the biggest strengths of the Windows platform is its wide and varied adoption relative to the walled garden that is OSX.
 
I liked it.
The first one with Lauren or whatever was still the best because it was more specific.
This ad is a little vague, and really doesn't bash Macs [H]ard enough.

Punk should have gotten the pink one though.:eek:

Bill and Jerry should go shopping..........with something like 6 grand, for a gaming box.:cool:......that would be a great ad.
 
I want to know where that BB is located, mine usually has alot more people in the store, that one looks quite empty except where they planted a few people. LOL

So are these actors, or just people they give a free laptop instead of paying actors?
 
I judge how effective the ads are by how much they make mac zealots cry. There should be a full force mobilization of tears by tomorrow. :p
 
I think the "BLUUUURAY!!!" is another thing that they just left in there very intentionally.

lol, yea I was thinking the same thing...

I'm glad Microsoft has grown some marketing legs.

And the best part is that the Mac crowd can't argue with it. Someone wants something that does X, X, and X for under Y dollars, Mac don't have it.
 
This is what Microsoft should have been doing when nerdy/fatboy apple adds started hitting TV. Microsoft is really getting on the ball with trying to not only appeal to a good cross section of people, but at the same time distinguishing and cornering Apple into a different marketing position. You know what what kick Apple right in the nuts. If one of these people took a laptop that Microsoft bought for them and loaded OSX on it. That would deflate Apples elitist bubble in a hurry. Hey look, Apple being run on a PC, go figure. Gold.
 
Some of the anti Apple weirdness around [H]ere is a bit baffling. Why do any of you care?! I mean honestly, don't act like you don't care, either...so many of you act like 13 year old's with uncontrollable [H]ard-on's when Microsoft releases a commercial that could only be called good or bad by a fanboi on either side of the spectrum. These commercials are *all* average, at best, and are *all* forgettable moments after you've seen them. Microsoft *clears* just about as much profit in 3 months (4.17 Billion after expenses) that Apple takes 12 months to clear (4.83 Billion after expenses). Almost every one of these posts about Microsoft *fighting back* are beyond stupid, as they're not fighting anything but your own and their own terribad perception of the marketplace and their place in it. Apple isn't #1, Microsoft is, by a lot, and the profit/profit margins clearly show that...I mean, it's not even a close race. Besides, if you like Microsoft's stuff, use it. If you don't...then don't. [H]ell, use Linux, use something...just seriously, stop with this Microsoft vs Apple fanboi crap.

All fanboi's suck. Use what works best for you, otherwise you're just another lemming I wish would jump off a cliff and fall...[H]ard.

:p
 
All fanboi's suck. Use what works best for you, otherwise you're just another lemming I wish would jump off a cliff and fall...[H]ard.

:p

There aren't any Microsoft fanboys here. Just a lot of Anti-Apple folks.

Of course, they aren't wishing for people to commit suicide like you are...
 
And before any of you anti Apple tards respond, I know what would be better than Apple staying around and lending some competition to the marketplace! Hopefully Microsoft does what all the [H]ard-Tards want and crushes Apple again, that way we could return to the world Microsoft created after they killed Netscape -- you know, where we had to wait years for Firefox to rescue the browser market, because Microsoft stopped caring about it after they killed their viable competition!

Next time, there may not be a Firefox to come along and save us. So be careful what you wish for.

I have to say, I like [H]ard-tard...and fanboism, of any sort, whether it be for Apple or Microsoft or Linux, makes you one.
 
lol,

commercial was great, and yes this is fighting back, just because you are bigger and number 1 doesn't mean its not possible to do that,

enought of just sitting on the side lines when it comes to commercials, who better than number 1 to put apple in their place (remember at the end of the line)

and thats [H] :D

sam
 
Some of the anti Apple weirdness around [H]ere is a bit baffling. Why do any of you care?!
Let's see, since many of us around here manage large corporate networks, some of the laundry list off the top of my head:
Extreme incompatibility
Lack of apps
Ridiculously insecure
Costs more money
Non-ability to customize things the way you want it in a corp network (Can't beat a Windows domain)

etc
etc
etc

That, and most of us are sick and tired of douchebag jackasses with more money than sense walking up anytime a computer has issues and getting the "My Mac at home never does that" bullshit.
 
Let's see, since many of us around here manage large corporate networks, some of the laundry list off the top of my head:
Extreme incompatibility
Lack of apps
Ridiculously insecure
Costs more money
Non-ability to customize things the way you want it in a corp network (Can't beat a Windows domain)

etc
etc
etc

That, and most of us are sick and tired of douchebag jackasses with more money than sense walking up anytime a computer has issues and getting the "My Mac at home never does that" bullshit.

I use PC's and Mac's, both are only as secure as the person using them. I work on Windows Domains, have for years, and there is always a way around any problem, whether it be with Windows/Mac/Linux compatibility -- and if you can't figure it out -- the problem lies between the keyboard and the chair.

Mac's work just fine so long as the user isn't stupid, same goes for any Windows or *nix system.

Not to refute you, but Mac's have plenty of apps, so don't repeat that again, because you lead me to believe you're nothing more than a fanboi who think's before he/she talks. Linux also has plenty of apps -- perhaps you should look once in a while, just because you can't find them at a big box retailer doesn't mean they don't exist.

Again, not to refute you, but I will - Mac's are not any more insecure than anything else (again, these are all user end problems). Don't click on wierd/random links on a PC and you won't get a virus -- don't click on wierd/random links on a Mac and there will be no "takeover vulnerability" so long as you keep FF or whatever browser you use up to date.

Etc.
Etc.
Etc.

And for the record, Mac's do crash, as easily as PC's, but again -- that's user error moreso than system. I've had PC's up for months on end without issue, same goes for Mac's.

But seriously, stop perpetuating the silliness that goes on between both camps. By the way, I use Linux at my company which runs an all Windows/Novell network, and we are a worldwide corporation who probably insures you -- and yet the entire Windows team has no idea no idea. :p No apps, you say?! Funny, I login to their Windows domain from my Linux workstation and they've never the wiser, oh, and I have all the apps I need to do everything on their network, too.

Again...look around...those same apps exist on the Mac.
 
I use PC's and Mac's, both are only as secure as the person using them. I work on Windows Domains, have for years, and there is always a way around any problem, whether it be with Windows/Mac/Linux compatibility -- and if you can't figure it out -- the problem lies between the keyboard and the chair.

Mac's work just fine so long as the user isn't stupid, same goes for any Windows or *nix system.

Not to refute you, but Mac's have plenty of apps, so don't repeat that again, because you lead me to believe you're nothing more than a fanboi who think's before he/she talks. Linux also has plenty of apps -- perhaps you should look once in a while, just because you can't find them at a big box retailer doesn't mean they don't exist.

Again, not to refute you, but I will - Mac's are not any more insecure than anything else (again, these are all user end problems). Don't click on wierd/random links on a PC and you won't get a virus -- don't click on wierd/random links on a Mac and there will be no "takeover vulnerability" so long as you keep FF or whatever browser you use up to date.

Etc.
Etc.
Etc.

And for the record, Mac's do crash, as easily as PC's, but again -- that's user error moreso than system. I've had PC's up for months on end without issue, same goes for Mac's.

But seriously, stop perpetuating the silliness that goes on between both camps. By the way, I use Linux at my company which runs an all Windows/Novell network, and we are a worldwide corporation who probably insures you -- and yet the entire Windows team has no idea no idea. :p No apps, you say?! Funny, I login to their Windows domain from my Linux workstation and they've never the wiser, oh, and I have all the apps I need to do everything on their network, too.

Again...look around...those same apps exist on the Mac.

(doesn't think before he/she talks), and I really don't mean to insult you -- but I'm sick of this Windows get viruses crap, and I'm equally sick of the Mac's are insecure crap.

How about you harden the system, properly configure the firewall and stop clicking on random wierd links be it through email or the web?!

I've been running Windows PC's for years -- nary a single virus. I've been running Mac's for years -- nary a single "insecurity".

Again...the problem isn't the OS, it isn't the hardware -- it's the thing between the keyboard and the chair.
 
Funny little ad, but not specific like the first one. "Blu-ray!" Heh.

But I think they picked the wrong laptop if they wanted to push the whole "cheaper" angle. A Sony Vaio, really? How much of a markup is that compared to any other laptop maker out there?

Well they did shop at BB, so I guess they did limit themselves. Oh well.
 
I like this ad the best, for its pink laptop and the last comment from the mom.
 
Funny little ad, but not specific like the first one. "Blu-ray!" Heh.

But I think they picked the wrong laptop if they wanted to push the whole "cheaper" angle. A Sony Vaio, really? How much of a markup is that compared to any other laptop maker out there?

Well they did shop at BB, so I guess they did limit themselves. Oh well.

Actually I believe Sony is the highest price of all, including Apple. The Bluray comment is because OSX doesn't support it yet -- only the demographic they're targeting with that ad won't even know that, so it's a moo point. Yes, a moo point -- it's like a cows opinion, it doesn't matter. ;)
 
Some of the anti Apple weirdness around [H]ere is a bit baffling. Why do any of you care?! I mean honestly, don't act like you don't care, either...so many of you act like 13 year old's with uncontrollable [H]ard-on's when Microsoft releases a commercial that could only be called good or bad by a fanboi on either side of the spectrum. These commercials are *all* average, at best, and are *all* forgettable moments after you've seen them. Microsoft *clears* just about as much profit in 3 months (4.17 Billion after expenses) that Apple takes 12 months to clear (4.83 Billion after expenses). Almost every one of these posts about Microsoft *fighting back* are beyond stupid, as they're not fighting anything but your own and their own terribad perception of the marketplace and their place in it. Apple isn't #1, Microsoft is, by a lot, and the profit/profit margins clearly show that...I mean, it's not even a close race. Besides, if you like Microsoft's stuff, use it. If you don't...then don't. [H]ell, use Linux, use something...just seriously, stop with this Microsoft vs Apple fanboi crap.

All fanboi's suck. Use what works best for you, otherwise you're just another lemming I wish would jump off a cliff and fall...[H]ard.

:p

Apple vs. Oranges. you are comparing Microsofts revenue vs. Apples revenue as a function of there commercial branding. It's about perception in the market. Clearly Microsoft dominates the OS market, but that is software, not hardware. However, Apple has a lifestyle brand based on hardware and their advertising reflects that. Apples iLife brand is much more aggressive than anything Microsoft has done, even wit their Zune marketing. Microsoft hasn't been a usual advertising heavyweight compared to Apple, but because Apple took a shot across Microsoft's bow, it is good to see the hearty competition within the free market that is taking place and I think that is what people are heralding as a good thing. On it's face it's Microsoft vs. Apple, but you've neglected to go any deeper than that. I think your take on this is a little to shallow.
 
That wasn't her kid and obviously both were actors, but i'd subject myself to that sort of public ridicule for participating in a hokey advertisement like that to get the same laptop.

Have you noticed they are all shopping for laptops? Apple is really weak in the desktop department. They should have an ad where they compare the apple desktops and then try to get a better grfx card or even find a working sound card for one.
 
I use PC's and Mac's, both are only as secure as the person using them.
Bullshit. What about legitimate websites that have been compromised? What about Apple shipping out viruses on their iPods?
List goes on forever, but that's an ignorant statement. If you truly have been working on Windows domains for "years" you'd realize that.

It's why you've still got to run AV with UAC on.
It's why even if you're at the head of a 5,000 note network and know what you're doing, you still run AC on your own PC.

I work on Windows Domains, have for years, and there is always a way around any problem, whether it be with Windows/Mac/Linux compatibility -- and if you can't figure it out -- the problem lies between the keyboard and the chair.
Depends how far you take "Way around the problem". What about crappy written programs? Remember the driver fiasco with Vista? There wasn't a workaround to many of those issues if your hardware flat out isn't supported.

And apparently you've never tried troubleshooting many Mac issues.
90% of the time, the Genius bar will just tell you to replace the machine (Even if it's a freaking software issue).
And support forums like this one. Please show me an equivalent one for Mac. Most users online at once can hit over 7,000 here. Where's the community support of that caliber for the Mac side?

Not to refute you, but Mac's have plenty of apps, so don't repeat that again, because you lead me to believe you're nothing more than a fanboi who think's before he/she talks. Linux also has plenty of apps -- perhaps you should look once in a while, just because you can't find them at a big box retailer doesn't mean they don't exist.
Alright, please show me how I can run any five given propriety business applications (written for Windows) on a Mac natively. You flat out can't do it.
Windows is cheaper, well-dispersed, and you have a 89% compatibility rate. Thus, business applications are written on Windows.

Again, not to refute you, but I will - Mac's are not any more insecure than anything else (again, these are all user end problems). Don't click on wierd/random links on a PC and you won't get a virus -- don't click on wierd/random links on a Mac and there will be no "takeover vulnerability" so long as you keep FF or whatever browser you use up to date.
Here's a fact for you.
OS X has passed both XP and Vista COMBINED in security vulnerabilities the past 2 years. They're well on their way to the third.

Yes, they are more insecure. You break Vista into its little camp, it'd look alot worse.

Plus, the Apple marketing machine brainwashes its users into thinking they don't need to worry since they are invincible. You yourself said the user is one of the weakest links. That, by default, also helps render them even more vulnerable when they don't show a lick of common sense when browsing online.


Funny, I login to their Windows domain from my Linux workstation and they've never the wiser, oh, and I have all the apps I need to do everything on their network, too.
Funny... I guarantee you they know about it :rolleyes:

Again...look around...those same apps exist on the Mac.
One word for you. Crysis.
You will UTTERLY LOSE that argument, no matter how hard you try.
 
Apple vs. Oranges. you are comparing Microsofts revenue vs. Apples revenue as a function of there commercial branding. It's about perception in the market. Clearly Microsoft dominates the OS market, but that is software, not hardware. However, Apple has a lifestyle brand based on hardware and their advertising reflects that. Apples iLife brand is much more aggressive than anything Microsoft has done, even wit their Zune marketing. Microsoft hasn't been a usual advertising heavyweight compared to Apple, but because Apple took a shot across Microsoft's bow, it is good to see the hearty competition within the free market that is taking place and I think that is what people are heralding as a good thing. On it's face it's Microsoft vs. Apple, but you've neglected to go any deeper than that. I think your take on this is a little to shallow.

In that case only time will tell if these are actually successful, because so far, they haven't been. Why do I say that? Because the usual demographic is the only demographic that's noticing these commercials -- you, me, computer users in general. That's not the demographic they're attempting to target. Younger kids STILL don't find Microsoft cool, especially after these commercials. I asked my non-computer savvy family if they've seen these, and they basically said, "yea, I saw one on tv the other day, but I didn't really pay attention to it...I think they were advertising a Hewlett Packard computer or something". So I expanded that, and asked non tech friends...same deal. None of them care. Most of them didn't even know it was a Microsoft commercial. Not that this is a large demographic, but the problem is, most people see these commercials are free advertising for Sony, HP, etc. Again, I've looked plenty "deep" into these, and my take isn't "shallow". Nice buzzwords though.

And what were you even trying to say about the software market vs the hardware market?! Microsoft isn't really a hardware company, and that aside, they aren't advertising their Xbox or Zune products here, or perhaps you'd have a point, they're advertising OTHER companies hardware...so you're point...well, you have none.
People aren't heralding these commercials as a "good thing" because of "free market" advertising, Microsoft is historically one of the most non "free market" friendly companies out there. And make no mistake these *are* Microsoft vs Apple commercials...not only on the face, but beneath the face, beneath it all. You are the first to even say anything remotely close to otherwise.
 
Bullshit. What about legitimate websites that have been compromised? What about Apple shipping out viruses on their iPods?
List goes on forever, but that's an ignorant statement. If you truly have been working on Windows domains for "years" you'd realize that.

Since I've been working on windows domains for years, I should know that apple shipped viruses on iPods? Hmm. Not sure I'm connecting the dots here. And um, before you dispute what I have or haven't worked on...well, just don't. And you're now saying that legit website have been compromised? By what? On what OS? You do realize that a lot of websites have been compromised over the years, on just about every os, right?

You lost that entire point. I'll just move along now.

It's why you've still got to run AV with UAC on.
It's why even if you're at the head of a 5,000 note network and know what you're doing, you still run AC on your own PC.

I run AV and a two way firewall on my PC, and I've *always* disabled UAC, and I've never had a problem. Ever. I never had a problem before UAC, either. I know many people who do neither, and have never had a problem. You lose this, too. You know, I'm not sure why you feel the need to run AV and UAC, but you're awful arrogant.

By the way, the network I work on has about 50,000 nodes.

Depends how far you take "Way around the problem". What about crappy written programs? Remember the driver fiasco with Vista? There wasn't a workaround to many of those issues if your hardware flat out isn't supported.

Again, wrong. I wont bother to go over this because you're arrogant presumptions already have you're mind set in a pretty childish manner. There was a way around those Vista driver issues, I was running Vista in early beta and never had many problems, mostly because you could piecemeal XP drivers into Vista and they'd magically work. Of course, you know that, because you sound like the master of the Windows universe!


And apparently you've never tried troubleshooting many Mac issues.
90% of the time, the Genius bar will just tell you to replace the machine (Even if it's a freaking software issue). And support forums like this one. Please show me an equivalent one for Mac. Most users online at once can hit over 7,000 here. Where's the community support of that caliber for the Mac side?

Now I've never troubleshot Mac issues because the genius bar tells people bad information?! Wow...I'm not sure where you pieced this together, but seriously...stop. There are a LOT of Mac forums out there for community support -- again, you'd know that...but you want me to "show" them to you?! How about you do a simple Google search and you'll find plenty. Of course, you probably did that...oh wait, no you didn't...arrogant people assume things without bothering to check. Seriously kid, grow up.

Alright, please show me how I can run any five given propriety business applications (written for Windows) on a Mac natively. You flat out can't do it.
Windows is cheaper, well-dispersed, and you have a 89% compatibility rate. Thus, business applications are written on Windows.

First, how much did these "five given apps" cost?! They sure weren't free. And I'd have to know what they are to know if there are professionally written alternatives, and their usually are. Again, you'd know that in you're obvious infinite arrogance. You seriously get more annoying by the minute...and make yourself look dumber by the minute, too. Ever year of virtualization, by the way?

Here's a fact for you.
OS X has passed both XP and Vista COMBINED in security vulnerabilities the past 2 years. They're well on their way to the third.

Yes, they are more insecure. You break Vista into its little camp, it'd look alot worse.

Again, this is arrogant assumption on you're part. You do realize many of those "vulnerabilities" were user side vulnerabilities, where the user would have to active do something with a specific program on a specific website, right? Obviously not. Also, a lot of these OSX vulnerabilities were open source package vulnerabilities which have nothing to do with the core OSX system -- they're open source libraries like CUPS, etc. Again, add to you're bad assumption points.

Plus, the Apple marketing machine brainwashes its users into thinking they don't need to worry since they are invincible. You yourself said the user is one of the weakest links. That, by default, also helps render them even more vulnerable when they don't show a lick of common sense when browsing online.

Just because you assume every user is stupid, they are...apparently. I correct myself...I no longer think the weakest link is the thing between the keyboard and the chair. I think the weakest link is when that person between the keyboard and the chair is you.

One word for you. Crysis.
You will UTTERLY LOSE that argument, no matter how hard you try.
[/quote]

One word for you: I don't play any game other than WoW. Ok, 8 words. And I hardly play that anymore, either. Did you honestly just try to rip the "we have more games" argument? Heh. Not everyone uses their systems for the same thing, my man...sure as hell not me. So enjoy Crysis. Even though I didn't just utterly lose that argument since I don't play it.

I failed to see your point here.

You have a lot of growing up to do in this business, still...I can tell. And now, so can everyone else on here.
 
^^
I believe the user above is trolling.....

I find the ads amusing, purely for entertainment purposes. I gain nothing more, nothing less. Others should take it less seriously by not adding fictitious anecdotal evidence with "asking family" and such.
 
^^
I believe the user above is trolling.....

I find the ads amusing, purely for entertainment purposes. I gain nothing more, nothing less. Others should take it less seriously by not adding fictitious anecdotal evidence with "asking family" and such.

Why, because I disagree with you?
 
Back
Top