Anonymous Takes Out CBS.com and Universal Music

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The two sites were taken offline this morning along with Vivendi, the owner of Universal Music, by Anonymous as a demonstration for support for Megaupload’s reinstatement. The hacktivist group has released a video of their latest exploit named OpGlobalBlockout that will, once it is initiated, will take down some of the most important sites on the Internet including the United Nations, Facebook, YouTube, Capital One and several other international concerns. The condition to halt the attacks is the full reinstatement of the Megaupload web site.

They're not helping make their image as teenage autists by including the UN and youtube in that mix, but Facebook I would love to see go down for like a week.

all for megaupload lol, I thought they were fighting against SOPA, that would be more like fighting for the people, but just for megaupload,lol

Facebook and Youtube.......let me guess they didn't learn from tilting at Amazon and failing.

Megaupload was the 13th most popular website in the world with over 275 million users. This is not just a war for Megaupload but for freedom also. If all these internet bills are passed we are pretty much screwed. The whole world would be screwed. Who here likes a world police now. This is a dictatorship of corporations in control of the US. If a corporation doesn't like someone in another country they will tell the US government to take them down. Its all about your rights. Your liberties are being slowly decayed. Slowly destroyed piece by piece with these bills.

Megaupload was the 13th most popular website in the world with over 275 million users. This is not just a war for Megaupload but for freedom also. If all these internet bills are passed we are pretty much screwed. The whole world would be screwed. Who here likes a world police now. This is a dictatorship of corporations in control of the US. If a corporation doesn't like someone in another country they will tell the US government to take them down. Its all about your rights. Your liberties are being slowly decayed. Slowly destroyed piece by piece with these bills.

Look. I'm all for the fight against the government. But even I can't support Megaupload and their purposes. They were illegally file sharing, and they knew it, and they claimed to do something about it, only to not do nothing about it. They lied, they know they lied, and they are just 2012's Napster.

So. If you want to rail against the system. Feel free to do so, but doing so without a criminal as your backup is probably going to get you farther. Oppose SOPA and PIPA sure. But saying that Megaupload was unicorns and plum fairies is wrong, and it'd be you just blatantly missing the truth because you got your warez from there and now you can't.

I don't care if legitimate sources were also put there. They use the same sweeping hand in government to pass every other piece of legislation and you don't cry about it then. Now that its in your backyard you're going to get your panties in a bunch, but truth be told, they'll do this 10000 times more and you won't even notice it.

As long as our Congress is bought, I'd expect nothing less.

They will shelve SOPA and PIPA for a while and wait for the noise to die down. Then they will sneak them through or create them in another form to do the same.

We need real campaign finance reform and term limits for Congress. Right now, we're mostly being ruled by large corporate special interests through our government.

Heck, a full 40% or better of folks that "serve" in our government become high paid lobbyists when they leave government. Guess where they go? Usually into sectors they were supposed to be regulating when they were in the government.

They do have some rules that are supposed to curtail that however what these folks do is just call themselves "advisers" instead of lobbyists and wait until they can technically lobby. It's a game, nothing has really changed.

I don't understand why they would bother taking down YouTube and FB considering both Google and FB are against SOPA/PIPA. Kind of defeats the point when you want to attack those who fight for us, especially when they say they fight for us too. I mean, WTF?

Do they really think that acting out by doing illegal destruction will bring back MU? Highly doubt it, lol.

I don't understand why they would bother taking down YouTube and FB considering both Google and FB are against SOPA/PIPA. Kind of defeats the point when you want to attack those who fight for us, especially when they say they fight for us too. I mean, WTF?

Do they really think that acting out by doing illegal destruction will bring back MU? Highly doubt it, lol.

this is what I was thinking as well. "hey we will destroy everything unless you bring back peace and freedom" is something I don't think will work

Look. I'm all for the fight against the government. But even I can't support Megaupload and their purposes. They were illegally file sharing, and they knew it, and they claimed to do something about it, only to not do nothing about it. They lied, they know they lied, and they are just 2012's Napster.

So. If you want to rail against the system. Feel free to do so, but doing so without a criminal as your backup is probably going to get you farther. Oppose SOPA and PIPA sure. But saying that Megaupload was unicorns and plum fairies is wrong, and it'd be you just blatantly missing the truth because you got your warez from there and now you can't.

I don't care if legitimate sources were also put there. They use the same sweeping hand in government to pass every other piece of legislation and you don't cry about it then. Now that its in your backyard you're going to get your panties in a bunch, but truth be told, they'll do this 10000 times more and you won't even notice it.

plus 1 to this argument.

Way to sound like terrorists. "Release our (apparently) lawfully taken down website and leave its members alone or we will start taking and killing hostages!"

For a group that has the potential to do so much good, it does nothing but pull stupid stunts.

It's Anon, they aren't known for being real bright.

Look. I'm all for the fight against the government. But even I can't support Megaupload and their purposes.

I agree, but it's still ultimately pointless. Piracy wasn't ended or even slowed down from shutting down megaupload/napster. Even DNS blocking like many people want to do won't stop pirates. The anti-piracy war has about as much chance of succeeding as the drug war, ie none. Where there is demand there will always be someone to supply, especially on the internet where creating a new site can be done in a few minutes.

The whole megaupload thing feels shady to me though. After years of investigating they just happen to shut them down the day of the SOPA/PIPA protest? Coincidence? ;)

How does this help thier case? They (Anonymous) wants to support indicted crimials? I am not saying they are guilty (yet) and if they are found not guilty all of thier equipment will be returned to them. If they are found guilty perhaps we can buy it for a cheap price at some federal auction.
Either way; I think these kids need to read the charges.

The whole megaupload thing feels shady to me though. After years of investigating they just happen to shut them down the day of the SOPA/PIPA protest? Coincidence? ;)

Hmm, that sounds familiar: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1038285062&postcount=28

Now Anonymous is engaging in the digital equivalent of a "Scorched Earth" policy while issuing ultimatums which they know will go unfulfilled. All the House and Senate have to do is keep SOPA and PIPA shelved until a more convenient time. In the meantime, Anonymous keeps throwing more gasoline onto the fire in their inept attempts to put it out.

Apologists to Anonymous will keep screaming, "Well something has to be done, or the corporate/government types will keep trampling over our rights." To which I agree with in principle... but the method is where it's failing. The only way to stop SOPA and PIPA is to sway public opinion through education of why these bills are dangerous, and by public I don't mean the <0.001% of the internet that gives a rat's behind about hactivism, I mean the "dumb voting public" that 0.001% of the internet looks down upon. THOSE are the people that the politicians listen to, so those are the people that need to be reached. Without the voting public and enough heavy industry along with them to keep the pressure up on the politicians, SOPA and PIPA are going to become law at the next convenient session of Congress. This hactivist crap makes the voting public run the other direction. To the general public, hacker == cybercriminal. They don't see protests and calls for freedom, they see stolen credit cards, stolen personal data, identity theft. They're all one and the same to the average Joe. It doesn't matter how smart you people think you are, or the truth behind your motives. The politicians DO NOT CARE and will smear you up to be what they want to you to be perceived as. That is the image people will react to. They have a small army of very shrewd and sneaky people that have been playing this game for over a century. History shows that experience almost always trumps the vigor and arrogance of youth. As long as Anonymous keeps pulling this crap they're cooperating as unwitting useful idiots to the very power elite that they despise and think they are working against.

If Anonymous wanted to do some real damage toward SOPA and PIPA they'd drop this LOIC crap and get the private emails between the bills' sponsors and the recording and movie industries and publish those, along with the details surrounding the NDAA sections 1031 through 1033 and how, combined with SOPA and PIPA, it means the end of freedom in the US. Consider the implications of a possible citizen's uprising in the US and the lessons learned by the intelligence community from the Arab Spring about social networking for coordinating civil disobedience, and you'll understand why this is so damned dangerous and why it's too important for a bunch of twits mad about losing their favorite warez site to screw things up like this right now. We need cool heads and rational, logical strategy, not a bunch of babies throwing a tantrum because someone took their favorite toy away.

This is stupid. Why would they take down YouTube?

So you get angry enough, you write to your congressman about SOPA and how much you hate it. How SOPA has resulted, via anyomonous, in being unable to access youtube.com, megaupload, etc etc etc. As well as any other government representatives representing your region.

Good God, another empty threat from these douchebags. Im still waiting for them to take the US stock exchange off the internet like they said they would several months ago. Scumbag groups like these guys are the reason bills like SOPA get traction.

Facebook I would love to see go down for like a week.

Didn't your parents teach you to dream big??? i was thinking more like 6 month. i don't work for any phone companies but i promise you we'll have least 20% more phone activities (landline/cellphone) in US.

I think the whole issue is, megaupload was no different than me driving to my buddies house and handing him a bootleg movie, then blaming my car for pirating.

Megaupload is a vehicle, it's up to the user to use it responsibly. What I do is my fault, not anyone else, and when I drive my car drunk, it's not the beer makers or the bar, or the people who made my car's fault, it's my fault.

This is pure nanny state bullshit.

I think the whole issue is, megaupload was no different than me driving to my buddies house and handing him a bootleg movie, then blaming my car for pirating.

Megaupload is a vehicle, it's up to the user to use it responsibly. What I do is my fault, not anyone else, and when I drive my car drunk, it's not the beer makers or the bar, or the people who made my car's fault, it's my fault.

This is pure nanny state bullshit.

Although I see where you're going with that, I don't think your analogy fits the situation. Going off yours .. MegaUpload was like you putting a bootleg on a city bus and then your friend going to the bus stop and grabbing the movie. You're effectively using the bus to transport the "illegal" goods. A studio then notifies the bus company (and authorities) that illegal activity is taking place on their bus and they fail to do anything (whether that's a legitimate claim or not) to hinder or prevent it. Thus, making them complacent in regards to the law.

At least, that's my take on it.

If I sell drugs in a McDonalds bathroom, they get notified of it, and then don't do anything to prevent it - are they complacent in the illegal activity by allowing such crimes to go on their property? That's the question here.

Lol war! A bunch of script kiddies DDOSing some websites in protest of another that broke the law. Get some perspective on things...

As long as our Congress is bought, I'd expect nothing less.

They will shelve SOPA and PIPA for a while and wait for the noise to die down. Then they will sneak them through or create them in another form to do the same.

We need real campaign finance reform and term limits for Congress. Right now, we're mostly being ruled by large corporate special interests through our government.

Heck, a full 40% or better of folks that "serve" in our government become high paid lobbyists when they leave government. Guess where they go? Usually into sectors they were supposed to be regulating when they were in the government.

They do have some rules that are supposed to curtail that however what these folks do is just call themselves "advisers" instead of lobbyists and wait until they can technically lobby. It's a game, nothing has really changed.
This. Unfortunately, people continue to support media-chosen candidates. You have someone like Ron Paul who supports ending wars, eliminating all the government overhead and people vote like zombies to elect whomever the boob tube tells them to. If an organization like Anonymous wants to do anything constructive, they need to start ratification committees to amend our Constitution. Otherwise, these loser kids are just wasting everyone's time and money.

The new "lock up suspected citizens/terrorists without trial" might be used for the first time against Anon.

If I sell drugs in a McDonalds bathroom, they get notified of it, and then don't do anything to prevent it - are they complacent in the illegal activity by allowing such crimes to go on their property? That's the question here.

disagree, mcdonalds is in business to sell hamburgers, so long as I buy a hamburger and I don't flaunt my illegal activities in such a way it negatively impacts your business, it's none of mcdonalds worry.

Asking citizens to police one another is scary shit, at least it is to me, that the government expects mcdonalds to stop people from selling drugs in their restrooms is a leap, and I am not comfortable with it.

I rent out a property I own, or well I did before I gave it to my aunt, but whatever, the last guy that rented the place had a little meth lab in the bathroom. Now, by the government's logic I am responsible for his being a trash ball. I should periodically enter and search his house and if I don't do that, I am breaking the law. My position is, that guy does what he wants and he just so happens to rent my property. What he does or did with it was his fault, not my own. I provided a service that he took advantage of, I didn't have a responsibility to break up his shit, I didn't even know about it.

sorry I got off on a tangent, decided to post it anyways, some of it may be relevant.

How does this help thier case? They (Anonymous) wants to support indicted crimials? I am not saying they are guilty (yet) and if they are found not guilty all of thier equipment will be returned to them. If they are found guilty perhaps we can buy it for a cheap price at some federal auction.
Either way; I think these kids need to read the charges.

This is all part and parcel to whats coming down the pike. The thing that is missing from all the righteous here supporting the police and government is, No one has gone to court and been found guilty . If you righteous folks have half a brain, its pretty obvious where this take down of sites without due process of law is taking us. Whats next?

Are you seriously comparing MegaUploads with internet freedom ala SOPA/PIPA? Maybe if the owners didn't brag to each other about their business model (try to be a front for a legitimate file-sharing site but secretly promoting and acknowledging that copyrighted content is their main drive).

Are you seriously comparing MegaUploads with internet freedom ala SOPA/PIPA? Maybe if the owners didn't brag to each other about their business model (try to be a front for a legitimate file-sharing site but secretly promoting and acknowledging that copyrighted content is their main drive).

where did they brag about it? I am asking honestly? do you have a link?

Don't care what anyone says, Anon is awesome. As for why they're taking down YouTube, maybe they're trying to give you a taste of what SOPA and PIPA would be like?

To say that Megaupload is used for illegal purposes and they knew about it, is like saying blank CDs or DVDs were known to be used for copying. You know it's true. Who here hasn't illegally put stuff on CDs or DVDs? Don't give me this Linux crap.

Personally, I'd like Anon to go after the pricks that did this crap themselves. Seems like a war has just started, and it's all about the freedoms of the internet. The enemy is the corporations and their weapon is our government. Call them scrip kiddies all you want, but at least they're doing something about this. All we're doing is sitting here and praying that our bitching is going to do something.

Fail argument is fail.

First off they were not the ones doing the file sharing, the users were. Secondly, under their EULA they made it clear that illegal content would be removed. Thirdly, they offered a DMCA tool for removing content that the IP providers didn't bother to use properly.

Let's say that you have a storage bin at a storage lot. Some other consumer has a storage bin and has illegal content in it. Based on what happened to Megaupload ALL the storage bins, including your legal one, should be confiscated and the ENTIRE company shutdown. That's how derptastic it is; it's Sarah Palin intelligence level.

Don't care what anyone says, Anon is awesome. As for why they're taking down YouTube, maybe they're trying to give you a taste of what SOPA and PIPA would be like?

To say that Megaupload is used for illegal purposes and they knew about it, is like saying blank CDs or DVDs were known to be used for copying. You know it's true. Who here hasn't illegally put stuff on CDs or DVDs? Don't give me this Linux crap.

Personally, I'd like Anon to go after the pricks that did this crap themselves. Seems like a war has just started, and it's all about the freedoms of the internet. The enemy is the corporations and their weapon is our government. Call them scrip kiddies all you want, but at least they're doing something about this. All we're doing is sitting here and praying that our bitching is going to do something.

I agree with Pheonix. Anon are more likely to provoke more draconian action on the interwebs than prevent it. The governments of this world are interested in pleasing the voters, the voters who go to a website to find it hacked and then get worried their CC info is getting raped and sold by the same hacking morons.

Anon aren't promoting a sense of freedom among the general population, they're promoting a sense of insecurity, which the government and entertainment publishers will be more than happily be able to fix by adding lots of "security" to the internet.

I agree with Pheonix. Anon are more likely to provoke more draconian action on the interwebs than prevent it. The governments of this world are interested in pleasing the voters, the voters who go to a website to find it hacked and then get worried their CC info is getting raped and sold by the same hacking morons.

Anon aren't promoting a sense of freedom among the general population, they're promoting a sense of insecurity, which the government and entertainment publishers will be more than happily be able to fix by adding lots of "security" to the internet.

so the solution is to slowly prod along and rely on "legit" avenues to respond to getting screwed over?

Seriously, your solution is to not rock the boat and it will work itself out?

The fuck kind of rational approach is there to government censorship?

Lobbyists for the media giants got to our politicians, who then influenced law enforcement, who then shut down megaupload.

There is absolutely no evidence that pirates cost the media giants anything.

Whole fucking thing is a government sponsored witch hunt, and anyone who stands up to it, is justified.

Back