• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Announcement - [H]orde Rewards Program

Status
Not open for further replies.
IanG said:
No, you have to be under 1000 ppd in the week before the contest begins. Once the competition starts you can ramp up production as much as you want. It could be over in a week if you could find a big enough lab to borg.

By my interpretation, this is inaccurate.

The Rules on Page 1 said:
All folders with under 1K PPD (7day average according to HF.com) will be eligible. ... Once the contest begins on November 1st, ramp as much as you wish, but if your PPD goes above 1K PPD before November 1st, you will be disqualified.

What prevents someone who already IS at 2000 or whatever from just stopping all their boxen so they can qualify and enter, then start their boxen back up on nov 1. To my understanding, the rules state before Nov 1, and it seems open ended, not "the week before"
 
r00k said:
What prevents someone who already IS at 2000 or whatever from just stopping all their boxen so they can qualify and enter, then start their boxen back up on nov 1. To my understanding, the rules state before Nov 1, and it seems open ended, not "the week before"

Yeah, but I think this contest is designed to get people with lower ppd to ramp up. I for one will not be yanking power plugs on my switches to get into the contest and I imagine the rest of the people above 1000k ppd wouldn't do so as well. Otherwise, Flecom could win it in a day.
 
ND40oz said:
Yeah, but I think this contest is designed to get people with lower ppd to ramp up. I for one will not be yanking power plugs on my switches to get into the contest and I imagine the rest of the people above 1000k ppd wouldn't do so as well. Otherwise, Flecom could win it in a day.


Exactly... this is my stance on it. Anyone with over 1k PPD to begin with is almost certainly more interested in the science than a new video card... and they aren't about to pull the plug on their machines just to win an unfair battle for a graphics card. It would shame them, and shame the team... and I know our team well enough to trust that no one would attempt it.
 
Hey Mossie Moose


can you post a list of the people who are interested in this contest?

I sent you a PM. I plan on entering this contest. I'm not proud of the fact that I turn in less than 1k PPD. I hate it when I have zero point days.

When I've got some $$$ I plan on ramping.





 
I plan on working a long while and getting the General Mayhem subscription. Seems like a decent prize for lots of points. Keep in mind I only have an AMD Athlon 64 3400+ so this may take a while....specially since I have under 1000 points right now (just started folding a week or so back.)
 
ND40oz said:
Yeah, but I think this contest is designed to get people with lower ppd to ramp up. I for one will not be yanking power plugs on my switches to get into the contest and I imagine the rest of the people above 1000k ppd wouldn't do so as well. Otherwise, Flecom could win it in a day.

that made me giggle...

but ya, as much as i would like a new video card (and trust me, i need one... actually, i need to fix up my computer, its a dual 1.8 opteron which i guess is ok but the mobo is agp and that makes me cry inside a little... been thinking about getting a new board and some faster opterons, but alas, i work a crappy government job... the only reason i took it actually was to get all my borges, but i have hardly enough to get by since the cost of living here is retarded... being broke sucks)

but ya anyway, like i was saying, i do it for the science, i have had some personal losses and i really hope it can make a difference...

in other news, since we are taking about ramping, i should be DOUBLING my output in the upcoming months :D
 
marty9876 said:
so, FLECOM owes me a video card then?


when you overtake me in UNABLE TO DEVIDE BY ZERO days
 
FLECOM said:
in other news, since we are taking about ramping, i should be DOUBLING my output in the upcoming months :D

Hold on... we can't let people miss this. :D

And the irony is, FLECOM will be outproducing anonymous/default at that pace. :cool:
 
FLECOM said:
when you overtake me in UNABLE TO DEVIDE BY ZERO days

I feel like posting somethign like you doubleing you output would be <something, something>, but shit.... Your current output is frigging off the wall that anything more is just kicking a dead hourse.... In a good way.

Just blows being second place to something totally, completely, beyond in every word being able to overtake sucks moose nipple, in a good way....
 
p[H]ant0m said:
Hold on... we can't let people miss this. :D

And the irony is, FLECOM will be outproducing anonymous/default at that pace. :cool:

yea, he's doing the same crap he did before jerking us all along with tales of some massive borg,,,,,,

wait, that did happen. :D
 
ND40oz said:
Yeah, but I think this contest is designed to get people with lower ppd to ramp up. I for one will not be yanking power plugs on my switches to get into the contest and I imagine the rest of the people above 1000k ppd wouldn't do so as well. Otherwise, Flecom could win it in a day.

Is it designed to get people with power ppd to ramp up...or get people with no ppd to start folding for the team, period?

Because I can at least speak for myself (and likely many others), that I doubt I'd enter the contest as it is. I have access to maybe 5 machines I would be authorized to run this software on. And 3 of THOSE are rather iffy. If the card was offered in such a way as to get people with smaller 'server farms' a chance, I'm sure lots more would join.

As it is - FLECOM may well not ram down just to enter the contest, and then blow everyone's doors off - but for a $300 video card? SOMEBODY of the heavy hitters will, and that makes the contest meaningless to enter for anyone else.
 
@ all the questions my $.02. I'm sure mods will correct...

Contest is for both the new guy and long time folders with current PPD <= 1000. Goal is to put the WU on the board and attract new long term folders.

Regarding heavy hitters moving boxen around, there are frankly only a few to begin with and they tend to be pretty easy to keep track of. It's going to be pretty obvious should boxes be moved around. Also, most folders at that level have more to do then screw around with things for a 200 buck video card.

Regarding people ramping down, pretty obvious to see that.

More thoghts but I need to run.
 
"Is it designed to get people with power ppd to ramp up...or get people with no ppd to start folding for the team, period?" BOTH

"SOMEBODY of the heavy hitters will, and that makes the contest meaningless to enter for anyone else"...Thats just crap, the heavy hitters are there because they hit [H}ard points everyday.

If you want to be negative start a Mary03 sucks thread
 
This is probably an idea for a future contest, not this one - but what about making the goal a combination of PPD increase, and percent PPD increase? Here's what I mean:

Small Folder A has 3 machines, and 1000 PPD. He adds 3 more, and goes to 2000 PPD. That's 1000 PPD increase, and 100% increase.
Big Folder B has 1000 machines, and 30000PPD. He adds 3 more, and goes to 31000 PPD. That's 1000 PPD increase, but only 3% increase in output.

So A would have the advantage in terms of percentage, while B would have the advantage (presumably) of being able to add more machines quickly. Most of the corporate folders have more machines they could fire up, and most of the farmers have older machines sitting off because they're not economical. You could give a lower weight to percent increase, and put a cap on the percentage that could be used (going from one machine to 100 would be 9900% increase!), but it'd give some more balance for the smaller guys.
 
marty9876 said:
most folders at that level have more to do then screw around with things for a 200 buck video card.
That's not how I remember it ;)
 
marty9876 said:
Just blows being second place to something totally, completely, beyond in every word being able to overtake sucks mary03's winnie , in a good way....

Don't worry, I'm working on something, that if it works out, will put you permanently in 3rd place. Borg this
 
What's with the snippy reply?

I have never folded for [H], don't know who Mary03 even is, and was drawn to this thread by the details about a free X1950 Pro. A free X1950 Pro I am very interested in.

However, the contest, as it *seems* like it stands, does not present anybody but the 'heavy hitters' (or, fine, if you want to argue semantics, the 'medium-weight hitters') any chance of getting it.

marty9876's point is probably valid regarding the 'heavy hitters', though - yes, probably COULD see them ramping down just to get into this contest, then blowing everyone else's doors off. But, guess what? Nothing in the contest rules (as they are written) says they can't do just that!

So try not to read this as a personal attack or anything. I haven't folded for [H], seemed like an interesting contest that I might be willing to start for, popped in to post a question or two to see if it might be worth it to start folding [H], and (based on the response), have decided it's not.

zim01 said:
"Is it designed to get people with power ppd to ramp up...or get people with no ppd to start folding for the team, period?" BOTH

Per my above comments - if it is, indeed, designed to get people who are not folding to *start*, I have to believe it has failed. In that, at least, there is no incentive for someone with the potential for only low production to really start.

Now, if the contest rewarded greatest personal increase (as a percentage) over a 30-day period compared to your previous personal record....that might work better to bring new people on.
 
unhappy_mage said:
You could give a lower weight to percent increase, and put a cap on the percentage that could be used (going from one machine to 100 would be 9900% increase!), but it'd give some more balance for the smaller guys.

Quoting (in part) because this is overall a good idea, I was sort of dancing around above, but this is well phrased.

I am not sure about the idea of limiting the improvement, though. I mean, if this contest wants to bring more people on, every [H]er jumping from 1 machine to 10 would increase overall output tenfold. Is this not a good thing?
 
While this may not be the best competition to grab new folders, it is one of many competitions that go on throughout the year. Some are open only to the new guys, some are open only to the F@H guys and some only to the UD guys.... The overall purpose to the contests is to get people interested in, and keep people interested in folding... If you have some ideas for future contests or how to make this one better, feel free to provide some info (whether you're folding or not, you can still have an opinion/ideas)....


Keep on Folding!! For the [H]orde!!

 
dderidex said:
What's with the snippy reply?

I have never folded for [H], don't know who Mary03 even is, and was drawn to this thread by the details about a free X1950 Pro. A free X1950 Pro I am very interested in.

However, the contest, as it *seems* like it stands, does not present anybody but the 'heavy hitters' (or, fine, if you want to argue semantics, the 'medium-weight hitters') any chance of getting it.

marty9876's point is probably valid regarding the 'heavy hitters', though - yes, probably COULD see them ramping down just to get into this contest, then blowing everyone else's doors off. But, guess what? Nothing in the contest rules (as they are written) says they can't do just that!

So try not to read this as a personal attack or anything. I haven't folded for [H], seemed like an interesting contest that I might be willing to start for, popped in to post a question or two to see if it might be worth it to start folding [H], and (based on the response), have decided it's not.



Per my above comments - if it is, indeed, designed to get people who are not folding to *start*, I have to believe it has failed. In that, at least, there is no incentive for someone with the potential for only low production to really start.

Now, if the contest rewarded greatest personal increase (as a percentage) over a 30-day period compared to your previous personal record....that might work better to bring new people on.

hold on there coyboy...

the contest is

Want a chance to win something to put in the new rig you're building? That's right, I said it. The [H]orde is giving away a brand new ATi Radeon X1950 Pro! Here's the details:
All folders with under 1K PPD (7day average according to HF.com) will be eligible. This is a race to 100K. This will require dedication and grit as this contest should run roughly 80-90 days. Once the contest begins on November 1st, ramp as much as you wish, but if your PPD goes above 1K PPD before November 1st, you will be disqualified. To enter, you must PM me before Oct 27th @ 2:00PM.

Edit: Please include your folding badge in the PM."

so its just for people who have <1kppd right now... the heavy hitters would have no real way to drop their 7 day average that quickly... and I doubt any of them would make a fake name to fold under and then frantically start moving boxes (which would be obvious on their stats too)...

so no, the contest is not for heavy hitters (becuase nobody loves us :( )

so start installing FAH on every machine you have, and go crazy with it, and you could win...
 
dderidex said:
Quoting (in part) because this is overall a good idea, I was sort of dancing around above, but this is well phrased.

I am not sure about the idea of limiting the improvement, though. I mean, if this contest wants to bring more people on, every [H]er jumping from 1 machine to 10 would increase overall output tenfold. Is this not a good thing?
Because it gives the advantage to people who have one machine, not two or three. I mean, if tomorrow I got permission to borg the labs here at school, I would go from three machines to a few hundred. But if someone else, with just one machine, managed to get the same number of machines, they would get twice the percentage increase. That's not fair - they had fewer machines to start with, so they win? And what if someone starts with zero machines? Even going from zero machines to one is infinity percent increase; how can I compete with that?
 
Part of the problem with these contests is there is no way to be 100% fair to everyone. As I've been stating, its a matter of good faith on this. No we can't stop someone from cheating, but the odds of it being missed is pretty slim. You've got a good a chance as anyone else, go ahead and enter.

The contests are a constantly evolving monster around these parts, as we prefer to give hardware away then have raffles and the such. Anything we can do with a twist of the stats is going to be preferred, we just keep trying to get it available to the widest group possible.
 
dderidex said:
What's with the snippy reply?

I have never folded for [H], don't know who Mary03 even is, and was drawn to this thread by the details about a free X1950 Pro. A free X1950 Pro I am very interested in.

However, the contest, as it *seems* like it stands, does not present anybody but the 'heavy hitters' (or, fine, if you want to argue semantics, the 'medium-weight hitters') any chance of getting it.

marty9876's point is probably valid regarding the 'heavy hitters', though - yes, probably COULD see them ramping down just to get into this contest, then blowing everyone else's doors off. But, guess what? Nothing in the contest rules (as they are written) says they can't do just that!

So try not to read this as a personal attack or anything. I haven't folded for [H], seemed like an interesting contest that I might be willing to start for, popped in to post a question or two to see if it might be worth it to start folding [H], and (based on the response), have decided it's not.



Per my above comments - if it is, indeed, designed to get people who are not folding to *start*, I have to believe it has failed. In that, at least, there is no incentive for someone with the potential for only low production to really start.

Now, if the contest rewarded greatest personal increase (as a percentage) over a 30-day period compared to your previous personal record....that might work better to bring
new people on.


You put far to little faith in the team. I stand by the fact that I trust any of our heavy hitters. If they went to the lenghts that they did to get the production they have, they are obviosly interested in the science. The time and effort alone to get their PPD down or make a new name wouldn't be worth it, even if they didn't care about science. But, they do, and as such, they are not going to cripple everything they work so hard at just to win a $200 video card. I trust the team enough to know that will not be an issue. If you let that ruin the contest for you,then I am sorry, but that's your choice. Your looking at it the wrong way.

The goal is entirely about ramping up... and you have just as much chance as anyone else currently eligible. Everyone starts at zero points once the contest starts. All you have to do is ramp up. Go borg every PC you can get your hands on, and you stand just as much a chance as anyone else. Those currently eligible don't have schools and offices already folding for them. The goal is to motivate some of them to go find those to borg. Does that tip the scales in favor of those people who have the ability to go borg a school, should they put the effort into it? Yes. However, That is the goal. It is 100% about people ramping up, producing more, and getting us that much closer to the cure. If your will to win is great enough... you can do the same. If your still in school, go before the administration with a well though presentation on what F@H does and seek permission to get it installed. Same goes if your not in school, try to borg your work. There are plenty of resources available on the forums to help you put together a nice presentation.

Also, as FLECOM said, we have lots of contests per year. We strive to try and keep coming up with new and unique ways to both bring in new blood, and reward those who have already been folding away without and personal gain in mind... simply doing it for the cure. If this contest doesn't do it for you, you can count on there being many more that will. Since I joined the team here around two years ago, I personally have given away at least $1700 in hardware... with another $1000 or more in prizes on hand, to be given away between this, the [H]Bowl, and another future contest. I am not the only one handing off prizes either. That should give you an idea of just how many prize opportunities are out there for the team. Don't think we are going to quit any time soon. So, come fold for us anyways, and even if you don't win this, you have the pride of knowing your folding for a good cause, a great team to shoot the shit with, and plenty of chances in the future at some goodies.
 
Viper87227 said:
You put far to little faith in the team.

as well as too little faith in the mods and the contest admins.


hey dderidex ----

it is a good thing that the free GPU got your attention and you are looking into folding. Folding is a really good thing. We fold for the cure. We fold for other reasons as well. Many of us have shared those reasons in the thread "why we fold" or something.

I hope you start folding. Maybe this contest is for you, and maybe it is not. Who cares. As long as you start folding. There are many contests here at the [H]orde all year long. You could compete in the Most Valuable Noob contest. In order to compete you must have hardly any points.

This is a great contest for, relatively speaking, light weight folders. Under 1,000 PPD is not an awful lot. It is having the desired effect on me... I have plans to increase my production.

Fold On! :)
 
Controversy is always entertaining.

I had good chances when I heard about the contest. I just started on the 18th. Unfortunately my borgs are 70km away and are already assimilated. Too difficult to go shut them down now and wait for Nov 1st. I'm sure I will be over 1k/day by the time Nov 1st rolls around.

So I won't be entering. However I would like to extend an honest good luck to everyone else. My victory will be when I surpass Round_Square / Roman 79 in less than a month. :)

Cheers,
Cubic_Pyramid
 
Wow, you guys know how to kill a buzz... :(

Anywho the rules are simple.

PPD has to be less than or equal to 1,000 points according to HF.com for the previous 7 days. Ramping down will not work as I know where most everyone's PPD is at. If someone were to create a second ID on the boards, that is grounds for permaban of BOTH accounts. And it is my hope that you guys won't be trying to cheat. Just have fun and try to win a fricken GPU.
 
Pocatello said:
Hey Mossie Moose


can you post a list of the people who are interested in this contest?
Here's our entrants so far...
:)

[BRO]Alaskan
Jon855
Pocatello
Schro
Tsuehpsyde
Roman79
R00k
Sobe
Xilikon

I am sure a few more want a shot at this card....3 days left to join.
 
bump for more people to enter!


Keep on Folding!! For the [H]orde!!

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top