Announced: CoD Modern Warfare 2

Where's the Korean War? I guess it's not called the Forgotten War for nothing.

As far is WWII being played out, it's not. It's just the same battles every game that's been played out. They didn't call it a world war for nothing, but games usually focus on the same battles, and battlegrounds most of the time. The longest fighting was between Japan and China, but you never see that in a game. One of the most interesting is the Soviet invasion of Finland, but how often have you seen that in a game. Not to mention all the smaller countries, and less famous battles.

Activision says rumors are "speculative". As I stated earlier, rumor has it its gonna be set in the future. Call of Halo anyone?

Activision says rumors are "speculative". As I stated earlier, rumor has it its gonna be set in the future. Call of Halo anyone?

I would love to see that. Set maybe another 50 - 100 years. CoD: War on Mars. Do it

I would like all the maps from both previous COD titles and the option of day/night versions, larger maps, better sounding weapons, longer campaign, improved draw distances and a map editor as easy to use as FarCry2's.

I'd just like them to sort the multiplayer stupidities out so I can play something other than CoD2 rifles only.

WAW went back over 60 years and has co-op and zombies + tanks. That doesn't feel like an expansion pack to a modern warfare game. I have a feeling THIS one will be like an expansion pack though, with a new short single player, but nothing new to offer in multiplayer.

You seem to be confusing Infinity Ward with a boring and rubbish studio.

Cant wait, loved both cod4 and Cod5 (Im calling cod5, suck it). United offensive is still the best multiplayer i have played in the whole Call of duty series.

Cod5 was fine imo.

Im crossing my fingers that IW will finally try to put in a player class system with this game and I don't mean weapon classes. I know it would seem hard to do with the fast pace gameplay style that all the COD titles have, but it would be enough of a gameplay change for me to not call it an expansion. I would also like to see a dual objective mode where both teams have an objective to complete and the round doesn't end till one of the objectives is completed.

CoD4 had a player class system. It was pretty customisable from what I rememeber.

Call of duty 4 uses the quake 3 engine with modified graphics renderer. Still some quake 3 in there. All those name colors and all that is part of quake 3. Hopefully cod6 ends up good and not rushed.

Why don't they just refer to them as Call of Duty: 2008, Call of Duty: 2009, etc.?

After all, they're churning them out at a rate of one per year ...

why did no one complain that doom2 was the same engine, only a new double barrell shotgun, and most of the same art as doom1? :cool:

I hope that the release price is a good $10-$15 cheaper than both COD4 and COD5, as they are including in game advertising.

The most important thing is who it will be made by. If it's Infinity Ward, it could be Call of Duty : Cavemen at War and it will still be epic.

World at War could have been epic, but instead Treyward decided to copy every single aspect of Infinity Ward's system so it just felt like a cut and paste.

Remember in COD4 where you witnessed in your own eyes the nuclear destruction? How epic that was? Then in WAR they tried to do the same thing (1st person perspective) but failed - bad.

I loved Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare. I'm looking forward to another installment. i was so pissed when Call of Duty 5 went back to World War II.

+1. I've been playing CoD since its inception. Played both as a pub nub, and on competition teams that have competed in TWL, CEVO, CAL, etc. CoD5 is terrible. I refuse to play it or purchase it. IW needs to make the next CoD game, or the series is going to die.

+1. I've been playing CoD since its inception. Played both as a pub nub, and on competition teams that have competed in TWL, CEVO, CAL, etc. CoD5 is terrible. I refuse to play it or purchase it. IW needs to make the next CoD game, or the series is going to die.
So yeah, was there an actual need to mention the competitive leagues you played for?

Anyway, if they are going for a modern-era, then dear god please spend some cash on audio and get some decent sound effects. CS 1.6 has better gun sound effects than CoD4+5 combined. :mad:

Oh and please add the ability to switch firing modes...

So yeah, was there an actual need to mention the competitive leagues you played for?

Anyway, if they are going for a modern-era, then dear god please spend some cash on audio and get some decent sound effects. CS 1.6 has better gun sound effects than CoD4+5 combined. :mad:

Oh and please add the ability to switch firing modes...

Actually the firearms sound effects are better in CoD4. Granted the audio in general needs improvement but the sound effects for CS's guns are horrid and don't sound a damn thing like the real weapons do. That's not to say Call of Duty 4 has definitive or super accurate sounds, but they are better than CS's.

why did no one complain that doom2 was the same engine, only a new double barrell shotgun, and most of the same art as doom1? :cool:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/doom-ii-hell-on-earth/reviews/reviewerId,3250/

"The problem is that when you think about it, for as good as it is it just isn't enough for a sequel. This is the sort of small additions and improvements you would expect in an expansion pack, not a full-blown sequel. I mean, when you get right down to it, it's just better level design, some new textures, 7 new enemies and one new weapon... wee..."

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/doom-ii-hell-on-earth/mobyrank

http://justgamesretro.com/PC/doom2.html

the engine could still be considered cutting-edge, and there was apparently plenty of life left in the game's simplistic concepts. Faced with this knowledge and responsibility, iD bravely stepped up and let fly the sequel - using the same engine and the same gameplay as the first. Only because Doom was so good, was iD able to get away with something like this. Few developers can successfully rehash their old material like these guys.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/doom2/review.html

may 1st 1996 Gamespot:"And while it may not bring anything new to the genre"

Seems gamers and reviewers have been saying this for well over a decade...

The engine used in COD4 was built off of the Quake 3 engine, wasn't it?

Quake 3? Are you insane? that Engine came out 9 years ago!!!

The CoD4 Engine is a proprietary Engine, and as far as I know does not use any old code.

From Wikipedia....

Game engine

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare runs on a proprietary engine and with features that include true world-dynamic lighting, HDR lighting effects, dynamic shadows, and depth of field.[12] "Bullet Penetration" is calculated by the engine, taking into account factors such as surface type and entity thickness. Certain objects, such as cars and some buildings, are destructible. This makes distinguishing cover from concealment important, as the protection provided by objects such as wooden fences and thin walls do not completely protect players from harm. Bullet speed and stopping power are decreased after penetrating an object, and the decrease is dependent on the thickness and surface type of the object. The game makes use of a dynamic physics engine, not implemented in previous Call of Duty titles. Death animations are a combination of pre-set animations and ragdoll physics. Console versions of Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare run at a consistent 60 frames per second.[12] Code was included to determine spawning points based on the nearby weapons, and enemy positions and line of sight. The various criteria are meant to minimize players dying immediately after rejoining a match.[23]

The game engine is also being used for two upcoming Activision games. An enhanced version of the original engine is being used for the next game in the Call of Duty series, Call of Duty: World at War,[26] while a slightly altered version will be used for the James Bond video game Quantum of Solace.[27]

Original Article

Also Check out this Article on the engine as well..

http://www.codhq.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=12

Quake 3? Are you insane? that Engine came out 9 years ago!!!

The CoD4 Engine is a proprietary Engine, and as far as I know does not use any old code.

From Wikipedia....

Original Article

Also Check out this Article on the engine as well..

http://www.codhq.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=12

lol your wrong because all quake 3 commands and all the code of quake 3 will work under call of duty 4. They only call it their engine because they modified it to a point where it doesn't look like quake 3 but its still quake 3 based. Thats why the game still has the call of duty feel from all the call of duties since its still the same mechanics underneath the skin. All they did was overhaul the graphics renderer. If you played quake 3 a lot you would know right off the bat ;). Why do you think the game looks and runs so good. Optimizing the engine since 1999.

SWEET! I can't wait! I LOVED CoD4. Also, I think CoD:WaW is AWESOME. The game play might be linear, and it might be WWII (I usually hate WWII games), but it does a GREAT job of getting the player immersed in the action.

Just go play Vietcong. We don't want no more WW2 stuff. We want Modern Warfare 2:p
How does vietnam war = ww2?

Vietnam war happened 20 years later.
I agree on the ww2 part. So played out. I like modern warfare alot. There has been 5 CoD games based on WW2.
Modern Warefare was a leap in the right direction.

I would also like to see a little Vietnam action though. Right with the birth of the M16A1. mmmmm.
Vietcong Ak47 too. :D

Im not reading that article but the cod4 engine is the q3 engine.

I'd like to see some proof from a reputable source on this. I do not for one second believe this to be the case. If this game were based on any Id software developed engine it wouldn't be the Quake 3 engine. It wouldn't be practical to modify such an old engine as a starting point for any game developed in the last two or three years. It just isnt' feasable. It would be far more easy and far faster to use a newer engine. If they used any Id Software based engine today or even three years ago when Call of Duty 4 was developed It would likely be a newer engine like the Doom III engine which was also used for Quake IV. But Quake 3? Come on now. :rolleyes:

lol your wrong because all quake 3 commands and all the code of quake 3 will work under call of duty 4. They only call it their engine because they modified it to a point where it doesn't look like quake 3 but its still quake 3 based. Thats why the game still has the call of duty feel from all the call of duties since its still the same mechanics underneath the skin. All they did was overhaul the graphics renderer. If you played quake 3 a lot you would know right off the bat ;). Why do you think the game looks and runs so good. Optimizing the engine since 1999.

So another developer can't build their engine to respond to similar or even identical commands that the Quake 3 engine used? That's your argument for saying that Call of Duty 4 uses the Quake 3 engine? :rolleyes: You'll have to do better than that to sell that theory.

Failboat.jpg

They bought the engine from ID for call of duty 1 and been modifying it since than. The engine is now open source. After cod:uo they stripped the graphics renderer and designed one in house to use directx for call of duty 2. Then they modified the renderer further on that one to make cod4. They only don't call it quake 3 since the main part of the engine is stripped but the guts are still there. Company may tell you differ but it still has all the elements of quake 3. Dedicated server console and everything is the same. Just think what you want;)

I'd like to see some proof on this. If this game were based on an ID engine it wouldn't be that one. It would likely be a newer engine like the Doom III engine which was also used for Quake IV. But Quake 3? Come on now. :rolleyes:

So another developer can't build their engine to respond to similar or even identical commands that the Quake 3 engine used? That's your argument for saying that Call of Duty 4 uses the Quake 3 engine? :rolleyes: You'll have to do better than that to sell that argument.

Failboat.jpg

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/doom-ii-hell-on-earth/reviews/reviewerId,3250/

"The problem is that when you think about it, for as good as it is it just isn't enough for a sequel. This is the sort of small additions and improvements you would expect in an expansion pack, not a full-blown sequel. I mean, when you get right down to it, it's just better level design, some new textures, 7 new enemies and one new weapon... wee..."

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/doom-ii-hell-on-earth/mobyrank

http://justgamesretro.com/PC/doom2.html

the engine could still be considered cutting-edge, and there was apparently plenty of life left in the game's simplistic concepts. Faced with this knowledge and responsibility, iD bravely stepped up and let fly the sequel - using the same engine and the same gameplay as the first. Only because Doom was so good, was iD able to get away with something like this. Few developers can successfully rehash their old material like these guys.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/doom2/review.html

may 1st 1996 Gamespot:"And while it may not bring anything new to the genre"

Seems gamers and reviewers have been saying this for well over a decade...

no im talking about on hardforum. thanks for spending your afternoon doing that though, guy.

Competition peeps put alot of time an energy into playing PC games, setting up configs, admining servers, installing patches, reporting issues to the developers, working with anti-cheat groups, etc. Way more than your average pubber. So yeah, there was a need to mention the leagues.

They bought the engine from ID for call of duty 1

I know this. This isn't new information. However it doesn't mean that they are still using Quake 3's engine or any code from it simply because it shares console commands with Quake 3 engine based games.

and been modifying it since than.

The company says they aren't. I've got no reason to take your word for it over the word of the publisher or Infinity Ward. Again they may have made the decision to use similar/same console commands and keep things where it would resemble the earlier games. They may have chosen to do this a one of the many decisions they had to make during the creative process. The fact that the engine uses similar/same console commands is not solid evidence to back your claim.

The engine is now open source. After cod:uo they stripped the graphics renderer and designed one in house to use directx for call of duty 2. Then they modified the renderer further on that one to make cod4. They only don't call it quake 3 since the main part of the engine is stripped but the guts are still there.

If this is what they did I wouldn't call it the Quake 3 engine either. After you rip out the graphics renderer and change out the physics engine what's REALLY left? Not enough to call it the Quake 3 engine. That doesn't leave the "guts" of the engine intact. Again you have offered no evidence to back the claim that this is what they have actually done. This also seems unlikely from a technical perspective as that would seem to be more troublesome than creating their own engine as they claim to have done. Without evidence to the contrary your claim seems circumstantial at best. Infinity Ward modeling the dedicated server interface and the console commands after those that were popular and well known in all Quake 3 engine based games seems much more likely than your claim about them using a 9+ year old engine for new games.

Company may tell you differ but it still has all the elements of quake 3. Dedicated server console and everything is the same. Just think what you want;)

Again keeping these things the same doesn't prove anything. You are the one thinking what you want and trying to convince others that your theory about the game using the Quake 3 engine is correct. As such you are the one "thinking what you want."

COD1 and 2 is based off the Q3 engine but just heavily modified. Not the newer COD series. Infinity Wards and Treyarch are using their own but similar to Q3 engine. Which is one reason to why the game is awsomely optimized.:p

And yes COD4 did run on a proprietary engine: Heres the link to IGN interview with Call of Duty 4.

http://au.xbox360.ign.com/articles/796/796451p2.html

COD1 and 2 is based off the Q3 engine but just heavily modified. Not the newer COD series. Infinity Wards and Treyarch are using their own but similar to Q3 engine. Which is one reason to why the game is awsomely optimized.:p

And yes COD4 did run on a proprietary engine: Heres the link to IGN interview with Call of Duty 4.

http://au.xbox360.ign.com/articles/796/796451p2.html

Well there you have it folks. So far I've seen nothing credible to indicate that Call of Duty 4 runs on the Quake 3 engine. Not even a heavily modified version. Companies can and do build their own game engines. There are more than just the Id engines, Cryengine and Unreal engine out there.

I'll care if they use a new engine

i keep seeing similar comments. I don't understand them. What is wrong with the engine they used for Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and Call of Duty 5: World At War? I don't care for the fifth installment but I loved the fourth one. The gameplay was excellent and the game looked great while running well on a large variety of system configurations.

LOL Dan D.....I think your comments are falling on blind eyes and closed minds....Time to just roll the eyes and let em think what they want. You could probably show them proof of what engine is used and they still wouldnt believe ya.......Pffffft, kids....heh.

Back