Angry Birds On a Physics Exam

Anyone else notice the student got it wrong? s = 0?

It's poorly laid out visually. I got halfway through solving it for y1 = 12 before I noticed that y0 = 10. It's a bit of an optical illusion, because the different lengths of the slopes make the bird on the left look more than 2m lower than the bird on the right. Definitely not to scale.

A smart ass would define the physics of the angry birds universe before answering the question just so the teacher has to do the math to make sure it was answered correctly.

See, this is the total dick thing I look for. I would just set up a triangle that has base 55m and height 2m, then say "well, arctan of 2/55 is 2.083 degrees, using the presumption that the AB universe lacks gravity. Correspondingly, the launch speed of the bird would need to be 55.036 m/s to get there in 2.5 seconds"

(of course, I f up sig figs, but who cares? :p)

That question is definitely a grade 10 or lower question..

That is a question you get when you take a calculus (or algebra) based physics course, first semester newtonian motion, etc. Now when you take that depends upon the school. However I will say, and I say this from experience, that is something that is taught to those taking first semester physics in college. Granted it's been a while since I've been in high school, but if they teach that in the 10th grade, AND they see it again as a freshman in college (assuming it was an AP class) why the hell do they tend to suck so much at it?

Also, sorry for the bad handwriting if it's illegible. I'm an Engineer, bad handwriting is a requirement :cool:

Looks fake. The text is vertical but there is certainly a page turn and the top is not perfectly horizontal.

Also, sorry for the bad handwriting if it's illegible. I'm an Engineer, bad handwriting is a requirement :cool:

That's ok, you definitely get bonus points for not being lazy and dropping your units along the way like I see way too many students do. Granted in this case the units of the answer is obvious, but still I'm happy to see it still being done :D

That's ok, you definitely get bonus points for not being lazy and dropping your units along the way like I see way too many students do. Granted in this case the units of the answer is obvious, but still I'm happy to see it still being done :D

hahaha, you would not believe the number of Engineering problems I solved back in college just from knowing the units... If they worked out and the answer made sense, I usually was correct (even if I didn't remember the formulas)

this is something my dad would do on a test if he could use the game for a biology question.

definitely a good and interesting way to ask student a question. but i dont think this student's answer is correct though.

For those angry about the question, it is basically the exact same question as firing a cannon ball and hitting a target. A problem that was very common on tests. I could probably even find an old test with problem like that on it.

Now that I finally got a smartphone, I downloaded this app to see what all the rage is about. Eh, it's OK, something to pass time, but not something I'd be addicted to by any means.

Back