Angry about Steam and not getting what you paid for?

Some of you people can't seem to grasp what steam can "lead" to for future game developers.

The ONLY thing I think most of you want is to be able to activiate your game via phone without the immediate need for the internet and then be able to play it offline whenever you'd like.

If they did that would you then have no problem with it?

This is coming from someone on a 56k connection that bought hl2 silver via steam.

I just see steam as an overall 'step" in the right direction, just with these problems that have arose from the huge release.

I hope it pans out though, i'd very much like to see other game developers using steam to release their software and geting a bigger cut of the profits in return.

It's also a lot more convientent for the broadbanders who'd love to be able to d/l legitmate games, I mean who wouldn't love to get a new release at 12:01am on release date?

There would be a lot more agreement with you if they were not being so fing restrictive with offline content. If I buy some software I expect to be able to run it, end of story, whenever, wherever I want. That's a fairly reasonable expectation with comodity software like a PC game and it could have been done with Steam. But Valve chose the other path that reduces the value to the customer, increases the hassles, all without reducing the cost, and while increasing their profits, not to mention the risks of what happens to software distributed this way if the company shuts down.

I'm all for companies making a product people want and making money off of it, but what is being pushed here is a fundamental change in what the customer gets when purchasing software. I was initially impressed with the idea of steam, but it's gone wrong at many turns relative to what's good for the consumer.

Luckily the game will only cost US$ 12 here (legal). Then I'll just patch it up so no activation nor internet required. It is inside my legal rights to do so if I please.

Some of you people can't seem to grasp what steam can "lead" to for future game developers.

No...you just don't seem to grasp the idea that I paid $55.00 at my local retailer for this game...I want to be able to install the damn thing and run it. Is that so hard to understand? Surely, I can understand requiring all this bullshit if you purchased HL2 via STEAM, but for those of us who paid dollars at a retail store for the fuckin game, it should fuckin work right out of the box...that simple.

Not to mention the extreme privacy issues I have with a god damned client that I don't want hooked up to the net (from startup by default mind you) for a game I want to only play single player (CS:S blows something fierce). That is unreasonable and if it weren't the fact that GameStop told me to take a hike when i tried to return my (opened) box this morning, I wouldn't have anything to bitch about.

The game looks amazing...it seems to be quite fun as well (in the couple hours I played), but the installation requirements are just outrageous and I decided last night it was a principal issue.....even though I paid my cashola, until I can find a crack that totally eliminates the need for STEAM, I am not going to play.

FrizzleFried said:
No...you just don't seem to grasp the idea that I paid $55.00 at my local retailer for this game...I want to be able to install the damn thing and run it. Is that so hard to understand? Surely, I can understand requiring all this bullshit if you purchased HL2 via STEAM, but for those of us who paid dollars at a retail store for the fuckin game, it should fuckin work right out of the box...that simple.

Not to mention the extreme privacy issues I have with a god damned client that I don't want hooked up to the net (from startup by default mind you) for a game I want to only play single player (CS:S blows something fierce). That is unreasonable and if it weren't the fact that GameStop told me to take a hike when i tried to return my (opened) box this morning, I wouldn't have anything to bitch about.

The game looks amazing...it seems to be quite fun as well (in the couple hours I played), but the installation requirements are just outrageous and I decided last night it was a principal issue.....even though I paid my cashola, until I can find a crack that totally eliminates the need for STEAM, I am not going to play.

read the box, "internet connection required"

it says it in plain english.

Not being able to play it is a valid complaint and i agree that you should always be able to play it out of the box.

read the box, "internet connection required"

Which is in small type, and could easily be assumed to mean that an internet connection is required to play multiplayer. I don't want to play multiplayer. I want to play the single player game....thats it...and I don't need some potentially insecure client open to the internet running (by default) in the background. Screw that. I just emailed Valve asking for my money back as GameStop won't refund my money (I opened the box).

Just saw the link to this story on the [H]ard|OCP front page...

Recently, one of the HL2Files.com members here, alerted me of a pirated warez version of Half-Life 2, apparently released via the Bittorent network. I immediately, forwarded this to Gabe Newell of VALVe Software. A couple of hours later, Gabe replied with the following: We're running a bit of an experiment. We're keeping track of the accounts that do this and will be shutting them off.

The full article goes on to say...

So, as you can see, VALVe Software have released a test "warez" version aimed at catching people out. These people will have their accounts deleted and will be banned from Steam.

What a load of FUD! First off, does anybody actually believe that Valve would release a pirate copy of their own game? Second, if they really are monitoring the IP addresses of torrent file sharers and if they really do close the accounts of downloaders then the only people being hit are the ones who have actually registered and presumably paid for the game. The real pirates won't have an account and so won't give a toss whether Valve closes accounts or not.

It also raises an interesting question. If that article is to be believed Gabe Newell has now admitted to making a free unlocked copy of the game available for public download. Now I assume he's saying that to frighten people out of downloading it as he can pretend they're being watched, but whether it's true or not doesn't actually matter. If he's said that Valve are behind it then presumably that means that they now have no grounds for complaint if people download and use pirate copies as the downloaders can say they thought it was the real thing from Valve which was offered freely and and advertised on a public website. Is it possible to infringe copyright if the person claiming to be behind the download is the copyright holder?

This whole HL2/Steam thing is weird beyond belief. How to fuck over your paying customers without actually addressing the core problem of genuine piracy. It does make one wonder about Gabe Newell's grasp on reality.

Have you guys ever heard of Ghost?!? bypass the activation for Windows AND the 15-30 min STEAM activate Bullshit.

As for when steam goes down for good...until that happens...and usually there is worldwide notification of such an event, cut with the whining bullshit and hold a bit of patience.

I cant really help yas on the internet connection department....

Im with you guys in your distaste for VALVe's registration/activation fiasco. Make Valve bleed.

Stiler said:

The ONLY thing I think most of you want is to be able to activiate your game via phone without the immediate need for the internet and then be able to play it offline whenever you'd like.

If they did that would you then have no problem with it?

This is coming from someone on a 56k connection that bought hl2 silver via steam.

I just see steam as an overall 'step" in the right direction, just with these problems that have arose from the huge release.

I hope it pans out though, i'd very much like to see other game developers using steam to release their software and geting a bigger cut of the profits in return.

It's also a lot more convientent for the broadbanders who'd love to be able to d/l legitmate games, I mean who wouldn't love to get a new release at 12:01am on release date?

Sure, I can deal with Steam being a distribution platform and certainly agree with Valve getting more money. Hell, I can even deal with Steam as a product activation/key check platform. But what I ABSOLUTELY CANNOT DEAL WITH is the fact that this app is integrated with a stand-alone single player game that needs no Internet connection. There is no reason that this 40MB app needs to be running in the background while I'm playing the game. Separate the distribution platform from the single-player games. It's that simple.

I bought the game, I checked the box, I searched their web sites, nothing indicated it required Steam to run. I also assumed the internet connection was either for CS or MAYBE so you could register. Not so it could do whatever steam does. I too filled out the form, although the form seemed a bit 'off'. Just give me my money back and keep your precious game. I will never buy anything from them again. :mad: Those of you defending it, what happens to your game when Valve decides to discontinue Steam, or they go bankrupt, whatever, do you want what you paid for tied to something out of your control? I don't.

Yes, this thing is atrocious. I've been waiting for this game for so long, and because my college network is incredibly sad and I can't do anything except browse the net and use e-mail/AIM, I can't get on to Steam to play. FUCK YOU VALVE!!!

Hey Kyle, is there any way you can publish a brief article about this to protect future buyers and to maybe move Valve to do something?

szero said:
Yes, this thing is atrocious. I've been waiting for this game for so long, and because my college network is incredibly sad and I can't do anything except browse the net and use e-mail/AIM, I can't get on to Steam to play. FUCK YOU VALVE!!!

Hey Kyle, is there any way you can publish a brief article about this to protect future buyers and to maybe move Valve to do something?

i would be willing to write an article if i had time-- and i haven't even played the d*** thing.

i have a question. i have it installed on this computer, but is it possible to install it at my moms house also? also, i bought bronze version, how can i buy dod:s and hl2:s without paying for a $60 or $80 version also?

animalchin said:
i have a question. i have it installed on this computer, but is it possible to install it at my moms house also? also, i bought bronze version, how can i buy dod:s and hl2:s without paying for a $60 or $80 version also?

Yes you can play on any computer system that you want. Just download Steam onto the computer and log in with your account name and password. It'll tell you which games you have payed for and it will then ask you which games you would like to download. As for DOD and HL: S... I believe Valve is planning to allow you to upgrade your purchase to Silver or Gold if you so choose very soon, if not already.

insterad of doing all this why don't you just email Gabe himself at valve, explain your grievances in a well thought out email, if you get enough people to do it, and do it right, not just flame at him, it might actually be better than the FTC and you might get a well explained personal explanation.

they can use STEAM all they want for future games.

i just know now that i will not be legally acquiring those games. simple as that. sure, i've got this one legally, but thats because i didn't know that in a few years when valve shuts down i'd have a completly useless game. won't make that mistake again.

My cousin got screwed because of the Half-Life 2 and the Scteam encryption. He owns a high end PC which he won at a LAN party in Carbondale, IL. Back home though, he has no internet. Him and his family only use it at the local library for email and some research. They don't use it enough to validate subscribing. He's not realy into the multiplayer stuff. He's enjoys the singleplayer storylines. Anyway, he bought HL2 installed and now can't play it.

The companies and the narrow-minded people here can say it's because of piracey, but tell me this, even if piracy wasn't as big of an issue, would you have left it with a minimum security or would you think ahead and plan it for the event that a severe piracy of it did happen? In the end, it's only the legitimate consumers that get screwed and the publishers know it. The security scheme is eventually hacked and pirates can do all the single player gaming they want. When the legit consumers complain, the publishers say "blame the pirates!" But as I stated above, whether piracy was an issue or noth, they still wan't to put the best possible security scheme on it.

NeghVar said:
When the legit consumers complain, the publishers say "blame the pirates!"

and don't forget about these little 15 year old pricks that sit there and post "y0u ar3 an id1ot cause steam r0x0rs and y0u s8x" every time someone has a real complaint or problem with STEAM.

anasazi said:
and don't forget about these little 15 year old pricks that sit there and post "y0u ar3 an id1ot cause steam r0x0rs and y0u s8x" every time someone has a real complaint or problem with STEAM.

those are precisely the people that i am banning from buying/selling/trading with... people who have trouble understanding that they are not the only ones in the universe, and that don't realize that being 1337 doesn't mean being blind to shortcomings.

to these kids i say:
hl2's gr4f1ckz r0><0rz my b0><0rz bu+ p1>< 41n'+ 3v3ry+h1ng... +h3r3 4r3 pr0b73mz +h4+ m8z+ b3 f1><3d b3f0r3 1+z w0r+h p74y1ng.
1 d0n+ +h1nk +h4+ h4v1ng steam s8><0rz 38k 0f my 56k c0nn3><10n 1z 1337. 4nd 1 c4n+ g3+ dsl 1n my 4r34 :,-(

The thing is, you have a choice not to buy it. Once I heard that this game was going to require STEAM I decided not to even bother with with Valve games anymore.. I can live without them, so can you.

#1. You cannot sell the game once you are finished. Although I love online play sometimes the offline game is a great experience (CoD, HL, Far Cry come to mind).. but when I was done with those previous games I could sell it to someone else, or give it away without Valve treating us both like criminals.
#2. Privacy concerns are being thrown out the window in exchange for security. In order to quote Franklin "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." STEAM will be worked around and people will hack the game.. it is a fact of life.
#3. This causes headaches for people who are actually paying customers. I thought the first rule of business was to keep the customer happy enough that the revenues keep coming in, not to piss off 10% of them.

Guess what, I can live without one game, you can too! Show them your willpower and that you are not a sheep; don't buy the game!

For the rest of you... BAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

I got a question.. I know it's unlikely but if for some reason Steam is shut down.. (asteroid, lawsuits, going out of business) ... are we going to be able to install the game?

starhawk said:
those are precisely the people that i am banning from buying/selling/trading with... people who have trouble understanding that they are not the only ones in the universe, and that don't realize that being 1337 doesn't mean being blind to shortcomings.

to these kids i say:
hl2's gr4f1ckz r0><0rz my b0><0rz bu+ p1>< 41n'+ 3v3ry+h1ng... +h3r3 4r3 pr0b73mz +h4+ m8z+ b3 f1><3d b3f0r3 1+z w0r+h p74y1ng.
1 d0n+ +h1nk +h4+ h4v1ng steam s8><0rz 38k 0f my 56k c0nn3><10n. 4nd 1 c4n+ g3+ dsl 1n my 4r34 :,-(
I got most of it. lol...wow, looks like I need to DL that 1337 Sp3@k program again.

magnetik said:
I got a question.. I know it's unlikely but if for some reason Steam is shut down.. (asteroid, lawsuits, going out of business) ... are we going to be able to install the game?
My guess would have to be no.

Way to waste $50 - $90 of your hard earned money.

Moose777 said:
I got most of it. lol...wow, looks like I need to DL that 1337 Sp3@k program again.

hehehe... gimme a moment, i'll whip up a translation...

btw, that was homebrew script kiddie. :D

edited post that has been quoted...

translation from script kiddie to normalspeak:

1 d0n+ +h1nk +h4+ h4v1ng steam s8><0rz 38k 0f my 56k c0nn3><10n 1z 1337. 4nd 1 c4n+ g3+ dsl 1n my 4r34 :,-(

---------------------------------

half-life 2's graphics blow me away, but images aren't everything. There are problems that must be solved before it's worth playing [half-life 2].
I do not think that having steam take up 38kbps of my 56kbps connection is cool, and i cannot get dsl in my area :(

---------------------------------

i am referring to my home connection here... why not use my school connection? bandwidth cap. i'd knock everyone off for about 2 hours.

starhawk said:
hehehe... gimme a moment, i'll whip up a translation...

btw, that was homebrew script kiddie. :D
Tahts cool. I'm more into typing like a normal person. ;)

u_moose777[h]orde

The Other said:
I swear y'all people complain too much....
If they stop crap like Steam, DCMA, and all the other BS Orrin Hatch is trying to get passed off into law, FIRST, then we could maybe think about complaining less. Right?

Fuck "The People" so long as the Corporation gets its money, that's what our govt. is about recently, and the whole country is turning that way. Sad.

Critofur said:
If they stop crap like Steam, DCMA, and all the other BS Orrin Hatch is trying to get passed off into law, FIRST, then we could maybe think about complaining less. Right?

Fuck "The People" so long as the Corporation gets its money, that's what our govt. is about recently, and the whole country is turning that way. Sad.

As President Abraham Lincoln said in the famous Gettysberg Address,
...A nation that is OF THE PEOPLE, BY THE PEOPLE and FOR THE PEOPLE so it shall not perish from this earth.
Unfortunately its not based on the opinions of the people, but the opinions of congress who are bullied by RIAA, MPAA, BSA and other major organizations and companies. Orin "down the" Hatch forgot that he is a senator of Utah and is supposed to represent them. He is a representative of the RIAA and other such groups that are all trying to be the 4th reicht, like the Nazi's (3rd), The Romans (2nd) and Babylonians(1st). The enemy has already invaded our country but 99.999% of the people are not aware of it and won't be until their head is already in the Lion's mouth.

On a very personal note, on 9/11, if those jets rammed the RIAA and MPAA HQ's I wouldn't have shed a tear.

A war is upon us and the people don't even know it.

NeghVar said:
As President Abraham Lincoln said in the famous Gettysberg Address,
...A nation that is OF THE PEOPLE, BY THE PEOPLE and FOR THE PEOPLE so it shall not perish from this earth.
Unfortunately its not based on the opinions of the people, but the opinions of congress who are bullied by RIAA, MPAA, BSA and other major organizations and companies. Orin "down the" Hatch forgot that he is a senator of Utah and is supposed to represent them. He is a representative of the RIAA and other such groups that are all trying to be the 4th reicht, like the Nazi's (3rd), The Romans (2nd) and Babylonians(1st). The enemy has already invaded our country but 99.999% of the people are not aware of it and won't be until their head is already in the Lion's mouth.

On a very personal note, on 9/11, if those jets rammed the RIAA and MPAA HQ's I wouldn't have shed a tear.

A war is upon us and the people don't even know it.
On a side note it's Reich. Not reicht.

The First Reich was the Holy Roman Empire under the rule of Charlemagne, which was a continuation of the Roman Empire. The Second Reich was when the Hohenzollern monarchs ruled Germany, which ;asted from 1871 to 1919 this was also known as the Hohenzollern Empire. The Third Reich was Nazi Germany 1922-1948 (War 1935-1945 but the actual rule of the Nazis lasted from '22 to '48; 45-48 under occupation of allied troops.)

Reich basically means "The German State".

NeghVar said:
...On a very personal note, on 9/11, if those jets rammed the RIAA and MPAA HQ's I wouldn't have shed a tear...
Well, while it certainly would have been preferable, since the RIAA HQ prob. have far less people than the WTC did, but I have to have sympathy for the families of the passengers who died, so it seems terribly cold and heartless, and unpatriotic to condone the use of airplanes full of passengers ass human guided missles.

Orrin Hatch and those responsible for running the RIAA are surely destined to burn in Hell, let us hope that it will be sooner rather than later. And, whoever it was at Vivendi/Valve that decided to force us to use Steam if we want to play HL2, and particularly whoever decided to put the utterly stupid and useless "CD check" copy protection on which only hassles legitimate purchasers while not hindering pirates in the least. It simply gives crackers a few minutes of entertainment while they crack it. It gives crackers a purpose in life, just as the drug laws create drug dealers.

Back