Angry about Steam and not getting what you paid for?

Tawnos

2[H]4U
Want to make a real difference? Fill out a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission

You paid for a piece of software. Can you play it? You own it, but it's still encrypted because of steam? I'm quite sure the FTC will not look happily upon a sudden influx of complaints because we paid for software and *gasp* actually want our product too.

Make the post, it takes 2 minutes that you would be spending watching steam tell you it doesn't work. At least with this you have a chance to make a difference.

I wonder how many complaints it will take for them to launch an investigation? :confused:

it is my guess that if a few hundred come in within a very short period of time that alone would be enough.

What is the official name of the company we'll be launching the complaints on.

I know Vivendi Universal/Valve Software, but do they have a parent company?

Sorry to hear your purchase isn't going smoothly perhaps next time try piracy

Thank You for using Steam

Subject of Your Complaint: Computers/Internet Services
Name of Company You Are Complaining About: Valve Software/Vivendi Universal
Street Address: PO BOX 1688
City: BELLEVUE
State or Canadian Province: Washington
Zip Code or Postal Code: 98009
Company Web Site: www.valvesoftware.com www.steampowered.com
Company E-Mail Address: [email protected]
Phone Number: (425)8899642Ext.
How Did the Company Initially Contact You?: Internet (Other)
How Much Did You Actually Pay the Company?: 59
How Did You Pay the Company?: Bank Account Debit
Did You File a Dispute with the Credit Bureau?: N
Did You File a Dispute with the Credit Bureau More Than 45 Days Ago?: N
Explain Your Problem: (Please limit your complaint to 2000 characters.): I purchased Half Life 2: Silver for 59.99. The software does not work. Steam, the internet distribution client, cannot log in, and all forms of contact or complaints go unheard by the company. The content sits on my computer, encrypted and unusable, and any information I get from Valve states that "the EULA states all sales are final." This contract was made in bad faith, and I would just be happy to get my 60 dollars back, and never deal with their product again.

I hate this. It's like, if you complain about this procedure, then you're automatically a software pirate. This is the sole reason why I haven't purchased this game, and propably won't. On my gaming pc right now, the connection is iffy at best due to lots of problems after upgrading pc's to service pack 2. Yeah, I know, it's something I haven't configured correctly causing no internet, but all I ever do is game on that pc. The one I'm on now(which is pretty outdated(2200+, 9000pro gfx card, 512mb ram) is what I always surf the net on. But seeing as how I need steam, then do a lot of other crap involving the internet it makes it impossible for me to install it on my gaming pc. Not to mention the fact that I would have to do this everytime I reinstall the game. And that I'm on slow ass 56k anyways. I've been waiting on DSL availability for over a year now and still no luck.

Maybe I'll buy it if a working crack(or patch from the makers) comes out which doesn't make me need to authenticate anything on the internet, but until then I guess I'll just miss out on this one. Hopefully the new Vampire game gets good reviews.

Super56K said:
I hate this. ....[EDIT]... Hopefully the new Vampire game gets good reviews.

Not to mention the fact that if steam shuts down it sounds like you can never play the game again.

screw valve, I'm sick of their bullshit delays, their stupid steam garbage and their entire company.

Super56K said:
I hate this. It's like, if you complain about this procedure, then you're automatically a software pirate. This is the sole reason why I haven't purchased this game, and propably won't. On my gaming pc right now, the connection is iffy at best due to lots of problems after upgrading pc's to service pack 2. Yeah, I know, it's something I haven't configured correctly causing no internet, but all I ever do is game on that pc. The one I'm on now(which is pretty outdated(2200+, 9000pro gfx card, 512mb ram) is what I always surf the net on. But seeing as how I need steam, then do a lot of other crap involving the internet it makes it impossible for me to install it on my gaming pc. Not to mention the fact that I would have to do this everytime I reinstall the game. And that I'm on slow ass 56k anyways. I've been waiting on DSL availability for over a year now and still no luck.

Maybe I'll buy it if a working crack(or patch from the makers) comes out which doesn't make me need to authenticate anything on the internet, but until then I guess I'll just miss out on this one. Hopefully the new Vampire game gets good reviews.

I've been there done that for waiting for DSL. All of my friends had it and they didn't even do any gaming. I had to wait 4 years after them until I got DSL. Now it's old news and they all have cable connections that are 4 times faster ( 500k/s ) and I'm trying to get cable but with no luck.

mcravenufo said:
Not to mention the fact that if steam shuts down it sounds like you can never play the game again.

you can play forever, until you need to reinstall or get a new computer...does the EULA mention anything about the software and how long it will last?

Steel Chicken said:
you can play forever, until you need to reinstall or get a new computer...does the EULA mention anything about the software and how long it will last?

This is from Steampowered.com so it's official

How To Make Steam Offline Mode Work
last edited 09/03/2004 02:05:09 PM by qUiCkSiLvEr

Special Note:
If a game says "100%" but "Not Ready" for offline play, it may be because the purchase process for that game (cd-key or cc purchase transaction) has not yet completed. You need to wait for that to complete before playing offline.

Two Scenarios:
1. My friend has no Internet connection, how can he set things up so he can play offline?

2. I want to be able to play at a LAN party and they won't have an internet connection there, how can we all play offline?

Answer:
There are several ways to do this that will work for players without Internet access as well as for LAN Parties where there won't be internet access.

Note:
You have to be online somewhere at least once to perform all of the following steps.

The first step here is to perform the latest update and capture it. This is very important to make sure you get the latest content and bug fixes. Everyone that will be participating at the LAN event must have the latest update!

Easiest way
Bring the computer that will be playing offline to an available internet connection at a friend's house, school or perhaps business. Log into the account and do all the updates, make sure it all works.

Then "exit" (do not log out!) from Steam, go to the Steam folder and make a copy of the clientregistry.blob file (just in case). Write-protect the copy (mark it Read/Only).

Physically unplug the computer from the internet, start up Steam and let it fall back into offline mode. Make sure the computer will play both Listenserver (LAN), client and the single player ok, then exit from Steam again.

WIN98
If this is a WIN98 computer, it will act like it's stuck updating and not logging in, JUST WAIT! It will take about 90 seconds for it to finally figure out that there isn't an active internet connection then it will prompt you to retry or go into offline mode.

The computer is now ready to play offline at home unless he accidentally logs out ...

If he does this he won't be able to play unless he verifies online again >> or << exits from Steam, then copies the copy of the clientregistry.blob file back which will restore his offline play.

NOTE: MAKE SURE THE ACTIVE ClientRegistry.blob FILE IS NOT WRITE PROTECTED!

It certainly wouldn't hurt to burn a CD of the working offline installation for him.

Next Easiest way
Do all the above on a different computer, IE: install Steam, log into his account, do all the updates, exit from Steam, make the copy of the Clientregistry.blob file, start up and let it fall back into offline mode, make sure it all works, then exit again.

Then burn a CD of the install and take the CD to the remote computer and copy the install there.

Very Important! Make sure the files are placed on the exact same Disk and Path!

LAN Party Setup:
Clients
All clients that are going to play on the LAN should have unique Steam Accounts. You might also have to assign unique clientports to each computer if they are going to play online as well as offline. Please refer to this FAQ for help in configuring multiple clients behind a router.

Most home DLS and cable connections will only be able to support 6 or 8 players on a 128K uplink and 12 to 16 players on a 256K uplink, assuming that they are using a reasonable rate (7500) and cl_cmdrate (30) settings. You might have to lower the cl_cmdrate to 20.

The Server
The first step is to decide if the server is going to be a Listen Server or a Dedicated Server.

If this is a small party (4 players or less) just for fun, then a Listen server will probably be the easiest way to host a quick party, but it's important to remember that the player who's computer is running the Server has an advantage over all the other players.

If there are going to be more players, or if the players are more serious players and want a level playing field, then a Dedicated Server is the best way to go, and assigning a computer to run only the Dedicated Server (no clients) is the very best.

If this is for a Stand-Alone Dedicated Server, be sure to get the latest Server update.

If family and friends want to watch, then it is a good idea to set up a couple of extra computers for spectators and run the HLTV spectator proxy.

The first requirement is that you need a 10/100 switch or router for setting up the core network. This can be part of a router, and you can daisy-chain several switches to connect everyone else if you need more ports.

The key here is to use that one switch or router (we'll call it switch #1) to join up to 4 additional switches (assuming it's a 4-port switch) which then can support up to 16 players (at 4 ports each). This way, there is one central switch/router and up to four other switches.

If there is internet access available, then the central router can connect everyone on the network for authentication and web browsing if they need to.

For best performance, plug the Game Server into the central router or switch, that way it will have 1/2 the delay to everyone (you'll only have 3 ports then to connect additional switches to). It's a good idea to make sure the Server has a 100mbit Ethernet adapter.

NOTE: Do not use mixed ethernet speeds with "dumb hubs" they can't handle it. If you have a hub and not a switch, you'll have to make sure that all ethernet connections on the network are all 10MBit only.

Speeding up Fallback into Offline Play:
It's actually quite easy to make Steam fall back into offline mode with almost no delay.

1. go to network properties
2. right-click on your internet connection "local area connection"
3. disable it
4. start Steam - it only takes about 2 seconds to pop up to the start in offline mode.
5. then re-enable your connection and you can play on LAN.

One warning, XP might get upset if you disable your NIC and think that you are changing the hardware in your computer (happens when you re-boot, so enable the NIC before rebooting!).

XP identifies 7 devices on the system when it is installed and if the identity of those devices changes too much then XP will complain and may require you to re-activate.

OK

So now after reading that...doesn't it sound like this is easy to just...bootleg all the time? I mean if you have it set up all the time for offline mode..who's to say someone doesn't just burn a copy on cd and give it to a friend?

That all seems like such BS...I just want to install my game on a PC and play.

The Other said:
I swear y'all people complain too much....
Yeah being able to play the software you waited on while it was hyped for a good year after it's initial release date, get saddled with an utter bullshit login scam that will do nothing to stop piracy, pay an inflated price if you went to a store, get pinged by spammer\spyware webbies for logging into steam, need to login to steam every time you want to play offline single player. Yep! People are just outrageously demanding.

Worldhammer said:
Yeah being able to play the software you waited on while it was hyped for a good year after it's initial release date, get saddled with an utter bullshit login scam that will do nothing to stop piracy, pay an inflated price if you went to a store, get pinged by spammer\spyware webbies for logging into steam, need to login to steam every time you want to play offline single player. Yep! People are just outrageously demanding.

let the truth be TOLD! lol

The Other said:
do you call the FTC when your car breaks down, or when your cable goes out?

They might if ever time they wanted to say START there car they had to give a call to the maker to see if it was ok for them to use it.

I can get in now too, but that doesn't matter to me. The fact that I have to ask permission every time I want to use this game is enough that I don't want it. I can still install Half Life and play the full single player game without a single patch. This is what, six years after I bought the game? I PURCHASED the product, I expect to be able to use it.
Edit that, I can log in, but not start the game...

I have yet to buy HL2. I knew this would happen.

I truely hope people don't think that its only going to get better ... because its only going to get worse.

Netrat33 said:
This is from Steampowered.com so it's official

How To Make Steam Offline Mode Work
last edited 09/03/2004 02:05:09 PM by qUiCkSiLvEr

So now after reading that...doesn't it sound like this is easy to just...bootleg all the time? I mean if you have it set up all the time for offline mode..who's to say someone doesn't just burn a copy on cd and give it to a friend?

good God, what a mess, all that work just to play single player...and yet they tell you how to hack the activation and play with your friends

are they smoking crack?

Shapeshifter said:
They might if ever time they wanted to say START there car they had to give a call to the maker to see if it was ok for them to use it.

sh*t happens.... all you have to be is patient, i am sure that they are not just sitting there, just laughing at us, they are probably trying to fix everything...

Seriously people, its pretty ingenious what valve did with Steam.

They made a system where you are forced to register, create an account, and use a Internet connection all to play for a 50 dollar game THAT YOU CAN NOT SELL IF YOU DONT LIKE IT!

Want to try out the game? To Bad Going to have to pay $50
Want to play without a internet connection? To Bad
Want to sell the game becasue you don't like it? To Bad
Want to have more then one person use one copy? To Bad

Admit it people Valve has got all of our balls in a damn salad shooter. :(

biching about Steam is dumb... for two reasons...

First.. even with all the delays im sure most of you are getting the game quicker than if you were to go and stand in line at midnight....

also.. people don't bitch about having to wait in line at best buy when they can't a game when they want it... steam being down is the same thing as being in an overcrowded retailer.

Preloaded the Steam client 3 weeks ago. Did updates over time.
Bought the game on CD today. I still want the physical disks.
15 minutes later, up and playing.

Nice !

I think before you can actually be distraught and angered over losing money from a game, you need to have paid for the game, yourself. From the way the most of the people are behaving in this thread -- like spoiled children -- it sounds like you should get your parents or someone mature enough to file a complaint.

Get over it.

So Stoic...you wouldn't mind giving me $60 for absolutely nothing?

I'll post my Paypal address if you really feel that way.

u cant sell it but you can atleast play it then give the back up cd to a friend log into steam at his house 1 time then have him use offline mode.

I assume this would allow u to both use the same copy in offline mode at the same time ?

may have to try that.

LMFAOROFLOL!!!

Oh my god this is awesome. I'm really sorry to be laughing at everyone's misfortune but it was said time and time again that VALVe was making a VERY large mistake with STEAM. But yet, many of you did not head the warnings.

If I had actually bought the game and decided to support VALVe then I'd be right behind you in your complaint. However, since I knew the magnitude of VALVe's mistake I refused to support them.

I humbly do hope you get your money back. All of you poor souls who bought into the joke that is STEAM. But I would not be surprised if you do not see a dime.

Again, I'm sorry but I can not help but laugh.

ItsSoLARGE said:
biching about Steam is dumb... for two reasons...

First.. even with all the delays im sure most of you are getting the game quicker than if you were to go and stand in line at midnight....

also.. people don't bitch about having to wait in line at best buy when they can't a game when they want it... steam being down is the same thing as being in an overcrowded retailer.

News flash. The game released at 12:00am PST last night. It SHOULD be up and running for all those who have paid for it. Countless people have taken today and other days off of work looking forward to play this game.

Steam took a dump and these people we're fucked. Someone has to answer, and that someone IS Valve whether you like it or not. Let me explain here ...

1. Valve CREATED Steam.
2. You HAVE to have an internet connection to connect to Steam to authenticate your version and PLAY IT LOCALLY (singleplayer).
(first of all ... ^^^ THIS IS GAY)

Ok so lets say.. fine Valve did this right ? now ... lets see what happened.

3. The game released
4. Steam crashed
5. People cannot play the game they paid $50 for
6. Game is delayed a year, this shouldn't have been a problem whatsoever.
7. FTC hopefully sues their bitch asses.

Take it as you may, but look at this whole HL2 shibang over the past 6 years, toss all of it in a blender, release the game, and hit blend ... what do you get ?

FUCKED CONSUMERS. Normally I jump on people for bitching about this and that, usually is all pointless. This time, it is not. I don't even have the game (thank God), and I completly agree with disgruntled gamers. Its simply just not fair, nobody should have to 'wait' to play this game ANY longer. SUPER GAY with a cape.

So am I the last person on earth getting this message?

The steam servers are currently too busy to handle your request. Please try again later.

It seems as though everyone is able to get through now but I still get that message everytime I try to unlock it. When I tried after paying for it it got to 20% then stopped and I have been getting that message ever since.

Excellent Deduction Stoic, Before you can get angry about losing money for a game you must first pay for the game. :rolleyes:

My problem with this game is that your pretty much making an investment with your $50-60 dollars you really don't know how much you will like or hate this game. Even with the reviews and all the positive praise you need to try it yourself. With Steam your stuck with the game if you don't like It? well thats to bad it's now registered to your Account and HL2 will now be stuck in a book-shelf collection dust.

I bet you all bitched when you had to buy a CDROM for the first time cause the newest game wasn't available on Floppy's. Valve is being the pioneer of a new paradigm for online distribution and copyright control, so ofcourse there are a few, or many, flaws. I am willing to bet that a Million people have already tried to activate today, so no matter how powerful their servers are there is going to be glitches. Someone in one of these threads claimed that Valve has offered no support what so ever, and if this is true Valve should be ashamed, but I have my doubts.

Why is all this happening? 2 reasons:
1) SoftWare Hackers are screwing developers
You same people that bitch cause you can't get it working were probably already pissed because you couldn't just download the Warez for free. The whole reason they are implementing such things as Online Activation is because hackers have been stealling revenue from these companies for years. Hell I know I may, or may not, have downloaded things for free in the past, but I can't be pissed that someone figured out a way to prevent this. In fact if you ask me it's pure genius.
2)Publishers are screwing developers
When you go to the store and buy a game, 90% of that money goes to the company that made the box(Vivendi) and not the people that actually made the game(Valve). Valve had an amazing concept: Instead of taking it up the ass by the publishers, why don't we offer our products online so users can get them directly from us? This way they can get proper compensation for their artwork, instead of the Corporate Blackhole.

All that being said though, I downloaded it all last week, and activation went through without a hitch this morning. In otherwords, my patience has not been tried like the rest of you.

Back