Android Smart Phone Shipments Grow 886%

HardOCP News

[H] News
The smart phone market grew by 64% annually worldwide in Q2 2010. At the same time, shipments of RIM’s BlackBerry smart phones grew by 41%. Helped by the continued strong performances of devices such as the Curve 8520, it was once again the second placed vendor with an 18% market share, while also retaining its leadership position in North and Latin America. Despite a period of turbulent PR, initial shipments of the iPhone 4 were predictably strong and contributed to Apple’s 61% growth and worldwide market share of 13% for the quarter. But analysis of Canalys’ detailed, globally consistent data shows it is the collective growth of Android device shipments across a range of handset vendors’ portfolios that is most remarkable. With key products from HTC, Motorola, Samsung, Sony Ericsson and LG, among others, shipments of smart phones running the Google-backed Android operating system grew an impressive 886% in Q2 2010.

Wow. Way to go. As soon as T-Mobile finds out I've got a deal I shouldn't have, I'll be going for a Droid X or Incredible.

We'll have to see if Googles forey into DRM will calm that down a bit...

We'll have to see if Googles forey into DRM will calm that down a bit...

If done right, it may actually boost the market acceptance. If the easily crackable nature of apps is affecting sales (hard to say) and the DRM isn't a pain in the butt, developers may make more for the platform with the knowledge that less people are playing without paying. More developers = more cool apps which may mean more people buying the phones for the cool apps.

My next phone was going to be an Android but after hearing about that DRM I am thinking I will wait and see now. I am not a fan of drm in any shape or form.

If done right, it may actually boost the market acceptance. If the easily crackable nature of apps is affecting sales (hard to say) and the DRM isn't a pain in the butt, developers may make more for the platform with the knowledge that less people are playing without paying. More developers = more cool apps which may mean more people buying the phones for the cool apps.

This. The drm is app specific, won't be intrusive, and will increase developer confidence. I say this as a dev myself. You'll see more and maybe better apps, which will give more incentive for people to buy these phones. Again, the drm is very low key.

This. The drm is app specific, won't be intrusive, and will increase developer confidence. I say this as a dev myself. You'll see more and maybe better apps, which will give more incentive for people to buy these phones. Again, the drm is very low key.

Also this plugs the whole buy, copy, return thing all of the "cool kids" do right now where no crack was needed.

The real gist of the article is that Android is now the #1 smartphone:

34% Android
32% BlackBerry
22% iPhone
12% WinMo

Leave it to Steve Jobs to mess up the second great invention his company develops with overpricing! They did it before with the Mac, and a few years later Win3.1 did it better for cheaper

In this case Steve shot himself in the foot with refusing to support Flash, so now there is no comparison

The Droid costs $99-129 and is the only phone that has a comparable resolution to the iPhone4 with the second highest screen resolution(854x480) after the iPhone4(960x640) but actually can display something you might want to see, like every single website on the internet! imagine that! It's funny how the first iPhone ad talked about not having a watered-down version of the the internet, but the full web!

All other phone have only 800x480 or lower screen resolution, even when they have bigger than 3.7" screens, the 4.3" screen android phones have 8MP 720p cameras like the iPhone4, but who shoots video on a phone anyway?

It's simple.

All of the major manufacturers only have 1 option - Android. All of the major carriers (except ATT) only have 1 option - Android. There is no other option for a smartphone with apps in the US (unless you are ATT). Winmo is literally a dead end until 7 comes out. RIM (blackberry) is not in that market (yet).

It's simple.

All of the major manufacturers only have 1 option - Android. All of the major carriers (except ATT) only have 1 option - Android. There is no other option for a smartphone with apps in the US (unless you are ATT). Winmo is literally a dead end until 7 comes out. RIM (blackberry) is not in that market (yet).

Basically.

Random sales figures can be skewed any way you want to make anyone look good/bad. Not sure why these types of articles keep getting posted.

Played with a DroidX this weekend for a good while. Lovely device but when I see this device and the iPhone 4 the more I think Windows 7 Phones has a future. The DroidX is simply too complex for a lot of people, my wife would shoot me if I gave her that thing. The iPhone is getting to be a cluster fuck of apps.

I think Microsoft has hit the nail on the head with WP7. Zune on WP7 simply blows away any other music system. And XBL, well that's the last major question mark but if its as good Zune Microsoft will do just fine with WP7.

I recently switched from Blackberry to an Android. All I gotta say is swype has to be best invention for the touchscreen and Apple will eventually get that on the iPhone.

The iPhone is getting to be a cluster fuck of apps.
Luckily there are now apps to help people wade through the shit, though avoiding one and two star apps is pretty much all that's necessary. Your typical three star apps are good and four star apps are exceptional. Pretty simple.

Add me, got the Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant. The Galaxy S phones are the best Android devices thus far.

Dawn of a new age imo. Android + arm may well end up more important the windows + x86 in that while we'll still have windows laptops for office work, they won't be used outside of that. Most people will run their social lives on their android smart phone, and spend the most time using some android tablet device to do stuff like surf, watch web tv, read ebooks.

The real gist of the article is that Android is now the #1 smartphone:

34% Android
32% BlackBerry
22% iPhone
12% WinMo

Leave it to Steve Jobs to mess up the second great invention his company develops with overpricing! They did it before with the Mac, and a few years later Win3.1 did it better for cheaper

In this case Steve shot himself in the foot with refusing to support Flash, so now there is no comparison

The Droid costs $99-129 and is the only phone that has a comparable resolution to the iPhone4 with the second highest screen resolution(854x480) after the iPhone4(960x640) but actually can display something you might want to see, like every single website on the internet! imagine that! It's funny how the first iPhone ad talked about not having a watered-down version of the the internet, but the full web!

All other phone have only 800x480 or lower screen resolution, even when they have bigger than 3.7" screens, the 4.3" screen android phones have 8MP 720p cameras like the iPhone4, but who shoots video on a phone anyway?

Yea it probably has nothing to do with the fact that there are many android phones and only a single iphone.

Back