• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Analyst: Activision Should Charge for CoD Multiplayer

HardOCP News

[H] News
Joined
Dec 31, 1969
Messages
0
Let’s all be glad this guy isn’t running anything in the gaming industry.

While many blame sagging game sales on a rough economy, Pachter believes the problem is gamers playing multiplayer games for free (which it seems they were also doing when game sales were more robust). He says all the time players spend on MW2, Halo, L4D, etc., "has sucked the available time away from what otherwise would be spent playing newly purchased games."
 
I already get charged to play MW2, its called XBOX live, so STFU
 
I already get charged to play MW2, its called XBOX live, so STFU

No, you are not getting charged to play. That is a tax for not playing FPS games on the PC like a real gamer. :p
 
I don't play any of those games mentioned, unless I'm visiting relatives that have MW2, but that's just us on a split screen, normally on the co-op missions.
 
LOL @ Kyle.

This is the most retarded thing in the world. The reason people won't buy new games is because they are CRAP. Listen up industry, you are a bunch of MORONS trying to use the same formula over and over again.

The games SUCK....

Why are old games like Master of Orion, Xcom and Duke3d? Because they where unique and different. You can only dupe me in to playing the same shit game over and over and over so many times. FPS games SUCK now because the story behind them sucks and there is ZERO innovation. Selling CoD with 50 diff games with ZERO innovation doesn't make me want to buy that game.

I bought Duke3D because it was so much better than doom2 and other games of the time. Quake was innovative with the mods like TF and CTF. Tribes represented outdoor battle and other elements like flying vehicles that made it fun. What has COD brought to the table that CS didn't 10 years ago? Nothing. That's why it's failing why the hell do I want to shell out again for the same old game with just a refresh of graphics?

Put the power back in the developers/engineers hands and not your business adviser like this dingus thinking that he can charge for playing the game.

Make an innovative game and people will play. Make it the same old garbage as usual and take that game and put it in the discount bin where it belongs.

Excuse me while I fire up and play Starcraft (12 years later), and Live for speed.

thanks,
 
"No, you are not getting charged to play. That is a tax for not playing FPS games on the PC like a real gamer."

LOL ouch, I deserved that, but I do play PC more its just I'm not gonna buy the game twice for 2 different systems. we bought the MW2 XBOX system for the boy for xmas or I would be playing it on the PC :D
 
Well sad to say Activision is currently talking about charging for online play. Also in a recent article on Bloomberg that talked about the sales on Xbox Live this past fiscal year (they hit close to 1 Billion) it mentions how Activion feels they should get a percentage of the fee Microsoft collects from live users.
 
Smart dumb people... you think I ever play $15 a month to play COD, when I think $15 is too much money for DLC they are selling. Honestly I feel little kid in the playground and the bully is coming for his daily collection of lunch money.
 
I already get charged to play MW2, its called XBOX live, so STFU

lol....we already pay for the game 1 time. screw Activision.
if they ever go to that business model that will be how the COD franchise will be killed.
 
I'd pay $15 a month to play CoDMW2, obviously they have to pay trillions in server maintenance every week just to keep these games up and running. :rolleyes:
 
I'd pay $15 a month to play CoDMW2, obviously they have to pay trillions in server maintenance every week just to keep these games up and running. :rolleyes:

Trillions that could have been saved with dedi-- nevermind, you guys already know :p
 
You love to preach the gospel of poverty. If you're that broke you just don't even need to play games. Let alone on even a console. ;)

Fine, I:m not that broke, infact i:ve got lots of moneys bwahaha (though not as much as you with you HP drive, my ' key doesn't even work because of the IME). But I:m thinking for the little guy. The little guy who signs onto his 56k modem once a month at the library to see if he should use his last remaning AOL disk to get a game in the steam sale. How is he going to tell his brothers that they can't train for the ghetto Quake(1) tournament because mr. heatlesssun drove over their cat in his golden mercedes.
Now this might sound far fetched (it's a BMW) but we all know that poor people are better at FPS than rich people. So I'd like some competition because seriously, I gave up quake live because it was full of lameasses. We need to keep those with no money in the game too.
 
You:re just being silly now. Controllers are MUCH easier to headshots with than OFFICE EQUIPMENT. Jeez...I challenge you to dreamcast quake 3!!!

LoL, I hope this is a troll.

Office equipment -> http://www.cyborggaming.com/prod/rat9.htm ;)

Hello rise in organized piracy if companies try to push this crap. Cost for basic mass-produced software and monthly cost for mmos are quite enough. As it is the monthly cost for mmos is pushing it. Trying to put a price on updates, basic multiplayer, and an added price because you bought a game used is quite ridiculous.
 
As much as we all hate this, I believe that this is the direction the industry will be going within the next 2-3 years. With technologies like the STEAM cloud and cloud computing and Activisions idea of a monthly subscription service for COD, it's not too much of a stretch to take it to the next step. I could see it happening where Activision or EA or whomever would charge say $20/month for a gaming "service". You can play as many games as you want as long as you want. And then of course there are the expansion packs and upgrades that will have individual costs as well. It will become a pay service just like satellite TV is today. About 12 years ago when the old 10 foot C-Band dishes were popular you paid an initial fee of about $2500 for the dish and receiver. Then you could watch as much tv as you could handle. Then someone realized all the money they were losing and slowly but surely began charging for one channel after another, until we find ourselves in the present day and pay as much as $120/month for tv service depending on the package we choose. The gaming industry is headed in the same direction. And no matter how much we bitch and complain all we are doing is prolonging the inevitable. I don't like it anymore than you do. But I can see it coming.
 
[snip] And no matter how much we bitch and complain all we are doing is prolonging the inevitable. I don't like it anymore than you do. But I can see it coming.

Thanks to the strengthening of internet based services and access speed, piracy has become the competing business model (un)fortunately.
 
lol.

:( hope they dont start charging us for dedi's



sagging...game..sales?

Wikiquote

This further illustrates my point. 10 million copies x $60 each = $60million. Take those same 10 million users and multiply that by $20/month for 1.5 years (expected life of a title) and you wind up with $2.4billion. The game companies will soon believe that they are "losing" money with their current business model. Once they realize the cash cow that is subscription based gaming....watch out.
 
Thanks to the strengthening of internet based services and access speed, piracy has become the competing business model (un)fortunately.



With cloud computing piracy isn't (as much) of an issue. None of the files are stored locally. There's nothing to pirate. That's part of the appeal of it to game developers and publishers.
 
Fine, I:m not that broke, infact i:ve got lots of moneys bwahaha (though not as much as you with you HP drive, my ' key doesn't even work because of the IME). But I:m thinking for the little guy. The little guy who signs onto his 56k modem once a month at the library to see if he should use his last remaning AOL disk to get a game in the steam sale. How is he going to tell his brothers that they can't train for the ghetto Quake(1) tournament because mr. heatlesssun drove over their cat in his golden mercedes.
Now this might sound far fetched (it's a BMW) but we all know that poor people are better at FPS than rich people. So I'd like some competition because seriously, I gave up quake live because it was full of lameasses. We need to keep those with no money in the game too.

Glad to hear this! If they charge for the MP, I don't know. It's obviously going to DRASTICALLY reduce sales of the base game. Personally I mainly plain the SP parts. I really don't like subscription based games.
 
MW2 doesn't have dedicated servers so nothing to charge there that the customer isn't already paying for, with L4D, people can already run their own dedicated servers so if Valve wanted to charge, people would switch to those servers. Patcher is a great guy, but he works in finance so he doesn't have a clear idea how these models actually work.
 
With cloud computing piracy isn't (as much) of an issue. None of the files are stored locally. There's nothing to pirate. That's part of the appeal of it to game developers and publishers.

Exactly. Unfortunately at this time game clound computing is almost all negative for the consumer. Slower, uglier and less reliable though you don't need a powerful computer. But playing game that work like ass is too much of a trade-off for me.
 
So.... the other way to look at this is that I've been getting screwed for not playing multiplayer all these years?
 
this pachter guy seems to be popular on gametrailers.com

he's an attorney.

so the new definition of "analyst" = any opinionated person ?

wow, such lofty titles we give ourselves.
 
LOL @ Kyle.

This is the most retarded thing in the world. The reason people won't buy new games is because they are CRAP. Listen up industry, you are a bunch of MORONS trying to use the same formula over and over again.

The games SUCK....

Why are old games like Master of Orion, Xcom and Duke3d? Because they where unique and different. You can only dupe me in to playing the same shit game over and over and over so many times. FPS games SUCK now because the story behind them sucks and there is ZERO innovation. Selling CoD with 50 diff games with ZERO innovation doesn't make me want to buy that game.

I bought Duke3D because it was so much better than doom2 and other games of the time. Quake was innovative with the mods like TF and CTF. Tribes represented outdoor battle and other elements like flying vehicles that made it fun. What has COD brought to the table that CS didn't 10 years ago? Nothing. That's why it's failing why the hell do I want to shell out again for the same old game with just a refresh of graphics?

Put the power back in the developers/engineers hands and not your business adviser like this dingus thinking that he can charge for playing the game.

Make an innovative game and people will play. Make it the same old garbage as usual and take that game and put it in the discount bin where it belongs.

Excuse me while I fire up and play Starcraft (12 years later), and Live for speed.

thanks,

Starcraft wasn't unique and different. Command and Conquer, Dune, and a few other RTS games came before Starcraft. I disagree with your FPS assessment. There are quite a few of them that are still fun to play. The trick is to deliver a good story behind the game, not just make it look good.
 
Hey Gaming Industry:
you can only squeeze a tit for so long before it won't give milk anymore.
that is all
 
Glad to hear this! If they charge for the MP, I don't know. It's obviously going to DRASTICALLY reduce sales of the base game. Personally I mainly plain the SP parts. I really don't like subscription based games.

Its because you're rich! But yes, people are going more multiplayer because it's harder to pirate the multiplayer elements of a game. Because of the servers and such, though its far from hard. Thats probably why EVERY game has a pointless multiplayer element tacked on it's ass. Technically because of ease of pirating, it's like they dont charge for the multiplayer. Theres been loads of games I have that i've never even fired up the MP for... HL2, Bioshock 2, DOOM 3.
If you charge someone monthly for something, then their going to be more dedicated to it. Because after spending so much for a service, their not going to stop paying and lose everything. WOW is an average MMO, Xbox live is an average multiplayer experience (well...a bad one because you have to pay for free things). But people still pay for them probably because they have so much invested. 15$ isn't much to lose, but losing 150$ after 10 months doesn't seem like a good idea. I dont make points good, but I know what I mean and that's all that matters people.
But CoW is such a generic game anyway. Theres a million millitary shooters that pretty much do the same thing. If they had something unique. Something to set it apart from all the other FPS set in millitary land at disney, then I could see this working. Hopefully people will see the light. But after the ipad and onlive fiasco, I am worried.
 
Back
Top