An "Xbox gamer expert" fixed a longstanding issue I've encountered with Microsoft websites

Delicieuxz

[H]ard|Gawd
On multiple PCs and OS installs, I've encountered this issue, where I can't log into many Microsoft websites. I've contacted Microsoft support about it at least a couple of times before, without a solution being found.

For example, if I went here: https://account.microsoft.com/

It asked me to enter my email, phone, or Skype. When I enter it, it asks for my password. When I entered my password, it then would again ask me for my email, phone, or Skype, and would endlessly repeat that loop. Most other Microsoft websites would do the same thing, in their own variant of the login process. The Microsoft support site, Outlook, and the Windows Store site are some exceptions, though I couldn't access the page which displays my owned software through Microsoft Store.

Because of an issue I'm having launching Forza Horizon 4, after purchasing it on Steam, I was trying to get help through the Forza support website. But the same login issue existed there and on the Xbox support website, including these:

https://forza.net/myforza
https://support.xbox.com/en-CA/contact-us/
https://support.forzamotorsport.net/hc/en-us

I was able to get in contact with an "Xbox gamer expert" through the chat app on the Xbox support site, without needing to log into the website, and the person I got in touch with suggested I reset my network: Settings -> Network & internet -> Advanced network settings -> Network reset -> Reset now.

Doing that resulted in me suddenly being able to log into all Microsoft websites that I've tried, which included the ones I've mentioned here. Now I'm able to create a support ticket for Forza Horizon 4, and start to troubleshoot the issue I'm having launching it.

It's crazy that a mega-billion-dollar software company, which develops the most-used OS, and sets the standard for many things, has so many eccentric issues that interfere with basic functionality of its own software / websites, including issues which interfere with the ability to get help when encountering another issue. With all the initially-missing traditional taskbar functionality now added to Windows 11, I think it's a notable improvement over Windows 10. But there are a bunch of bugs interfering with basic functionality - some of which are ancient legacy bugs.

Kudos to the "Xbox gamer expert" who fixed the Microsoft website login issue for me. Now I know to reset my network after a fresh install of Windows (as I've encountered this issue in at least my previous couple of Windows installations) - something that really shouldn't need to be done.

Aren't you using some 3rd party tweaked ISO, from what I read of your other threads? That's probably why... I have never had issues like that with any Windows.

Aren't you using some 3rd party tweaked ISO, from what I read of your other threads? That's probably why... I have never had issues like that with any Windows.
No, just Windows 11 Enterprise, from a Sept-2022 Business ISO. I had the same issue on another PC with a Windows 10 LTSC 2019 installation.

I think I mentioned how to build an ISO for Windows 10 LTSC 2021 in another thread, using a trial LTSC 2021 ISO and an SVF patch.

No, just Windows 11 Enterprise, from a Sept-2022 Business ISO. I had the same issue on another PC with a Windows 10 LTSC 2019 installation.

I think I mentioned how to build an ISO for Windows 10 LTSC 2021 in another thread, using a trial LTSC 2021 ISO and an SVF patch.
Ah, my mistake then. I have no idea why that reset fixed it for you, but I'm glad it did :).

Ah, my mistake then. I have no idea why that reset fixed it for you, but I'm glad it did :).
I'm guessing the Microsoft login thing is a somewhat common issue, as the person I was in contact with through Xbox support chat immediately asked, after I told them I can't sign into any of the Forza or Xbox support links, "May I ask if you can try to sign in your account here in the link https://account.microsoft.com/?" And then when I replied that it just keeps looping requests for account and password info, he gave me instructions for resetting the network. He seemed to be familiar with the issue.

My opening issue description was: "I can't log into Microsoft's Xbox support website, and I can't log into the Forza 4 support website - which I want to do because I just bought Forza Horizon 4 on Steam and it won't launch. When I launch FH4, it shows the splash screen, and then FH4 exe then consumes all my system's 64GB of RAM, and then my PC freezes. When I try to log into the FH4 website or the support website, it keeps saying "ERROR SIGNING IN There was an error while signing you in. (MSA-xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx)". When I try to log into Microsoft's Xbox website, it keeps trying to log in, and then fails to do so, without giving an error message."

Sounds like a browser cache issue. Or maybe your hacked up installs that you're not supposed to be using. Or a combination of the two.

Sounds like a browser cache issue. Or maybe your hacked up installs that you're not supposed to be using. Or a combination of the two.
My Windows OSes aren't hacked-up, and have used Microsoft ISOs. The network reset fix might preclude it being a browser cache issue, though I'm not sure.

Last edited:
Depending on the version of Windows 11 Enterprise used, Windows 11 Enterprise and Windows 10 LTSC are frozen in time releases, which could very well be the cause of the issue you're experiencing. LTSC releases are intended to be used by ATM's and healthcare related systems where reliability is more desirable than the latest feature releases.

On more than one occasion I've seen issues regarding game compatibility where Windows 10 LTSC was used, due to the fact that the latest titles often rely on the latest operating system features. The same could hold true regarding web browsers and modern authentication.

it works because the problem is more than likely a messed up entry in the registry which dumping the adapters (which is the main thing network reset does along with ensuring all the info about those adapters are defaulted) removes.
the network reset does nothing to a browser and wont fix a cache issue.

The registry is both your friend and your enemy simultaneously.

Back