An epic tale on an ASUS relationship gone bad

TigerLord

[H]ard|Gawd
The following is rated R for stupidity. Reader's discretion is advised.

The following epic story is about a long relationship with ASUS that met its end in a horrifying way.

Prologue
Once upon a time, a French-Canadian hobbit wanted a new computer. About two full moons before the time of this writing, he started buying parts for his new system. Since he hadn't been in the loop for a while, he started researching, reading, and researching some more. He had set himself a budget, and swore he would never surpass it, in the name of all that is saucy. This budget was of 3000$ French-Canadian Shire dollars.

Part 1
The hobbit initially settled on the infamous P5B Deluxe board, having owned Asus cards all his life. Although the little barefoot dwarf had never built a system himself, he had always purchased each part individually, but preferred to leave the assembly to more capable humans. This time however, he would do it himself, and prove that size really doesn't matter! (pfff, yeah, right!).

Part 2
His nightmares about Britney Spear's latest Size-D milkshakes and Lindsay Lohan's shaved Alibaba cavern were soon replaced by worse thoughts: his new machine might not run Crysis at its full potential ! Knowing full well two high-end video cards might not yet be needed, it however wouldn't be overkill to to purchase a SLI board and leave room for a future upgrade. He opted for the P5N32E Plus instead of the EVGA 680i, notably for the 50EUR price difference (which today, seems --extremely-- futile, sort of like Paris Hilton).

Part 3
The little hobbit that had now been living in the land of all that is expansive and small (read: Europe) for three years, he knew everything would be more expansive than in the Shire, but went ahead anyway. He placed the last order with the P5N, and waited patiently. He waited, and waited, and there it arrived, a new ray of hope. It would not last.

Part 4
The little hobbit was nervous, but nonetheless completed the installation. Hours later, after assembling everything, as he glazed upon the gorgeousness of this new system, his small finger made its way to the PSU switch, awaiting a glorious first bootup.

Sort like the first time you see Oprah Winfrey without makeup, the disgust that ensued the flipping was disastrous. Smoke came out of the board, and he saw a little square turned orange, sign of electronic loins burning. The system would not post. Horror.

Part 5
The board was dead. Size did matter, like his female hobbit friend had said. Due to his noobishness probably, he had screwed up the installation. He later stipulated he had misplaced a stand-off perhaps. But it did not matter, it was RMA time. Since ASUS' RMA timeframe is horrible, and he had been waiting for so long, he could not wait 5 weeks and while waiting for the RMA, he purchased a P5B Deluxe to act as a temporary solution. He sent the the P5N to the store, and bought a P5B at the same place.

Part 6
Four days later, the hobbit receives his P5B, with warmth and happiness. But something was wrong. Again, the system would not post. ''Incredible. Impossible'', he said. Disappointed and bitter, he sent the board back.

Part 7
Frustrated, he knew he still couldn't wait so long, but refused to buy yet another ASUS product. Knowing EVGA was the way to go, he wanted the 680i. He really liked EVGA. The 8800GTX he had received was beautiful, and its size greatly resembled that of Lopez's greatest asset. Grandeur. Absolute Grandeur. Since he would be shortly visiting the Shire for a week for educational purposes, and the 680i was less expansive there, he bought it on his trip. There is a story that goes with that, but it will be left out for the purpose of sanity.

Part 8
The ASUS horror was not yet over. The transporter who brought the busted P5N to the shop had botched the job, and the motherboard's box arrived squashed. A radiator was dislodged, and the card was bent. Knowing full well ASUS was anal about physical damage, the Hobbit was scared he would never see that 199EUR again, and filed for insurance immediately. Thankfully, the P5B Dlx was received damageless (but was also shipped via a different courier) by the shopkeeper.

Part 9
It has now been 7 weeks since he sent back the P5N, and 6 weeks for the P5B. He finally received news today. ASUS agreed to reimburse the P5N fully, since they found nothing apparently wrong physically. They are however charging the shopkeeper 15EUR repair fee for the bent pin on the P5B Dlx. The following discussion ensued:
''Hey Bilbo, it's Gandalf from Compumsa. I heard from my supplier'', said the voice.
''Oh really'' replied the Hobbit, curious. ''What did they say?''.
''Well, all seem to be ok and they are sending a P5N, but they are charging 15EUR repair fee for the P5B. ''.
''Ok, so the badly physically damaged P5N got an ok, but the P5B that was received as they got it was charged for? I fail to see the logic...''
''Don't bother Bilbo... I will have seen it all''.

Conclusion
The story finally met its end. The P5B Dlx was fully credited in spite of the repair fee, but a new P5N will be sent since they are too specialized to be kept in-shop. Therefore, the hobbit will soon have a brand new P5N32E to get rid of (hint *wink wink*). Since then the French-Canadian Hobbit finally got his dream system up and running, and lived happily ever after. His budget has long been sent to hell, but he learned the important lesson that a company ran by monkeys who can't speak English well enough to offer phone support is bad. ASUS is forever shitlisted. The knowledge he acquired during this quest will forever be within him. The light will shine over darkness. Whatever.

The End.

Thadaaaaah ^^

I swear by MSI, might be stupid for some but never gave me troubles ;)
And yeh...ok my current Mobo is a Abit but i'm not that happy with a ATI chipset.
I pray for a 650i Ultra in mATX, knowing it'll never exist...
A 7050in a few moths it is then :)

sounds like you filed for rma because of your own fault :confused:
should elaborate on that more if it was indeed user error or not, or people could get mad.

I was about to order an Asus board last week, but i'm glad i keep my bad stack in sight (2 dead Asus and 1 dead AsRock board, all victims of SADS: sudden asus death syndrome). I'll never buy another of their garbage boards again, because even the ones that did "work" had major problems that were never fixed. I'm not saying that as a picky user, i'm pretty satisfied with even ECS boards.

If the retailer won't take back the board, prepare to pay a hefty repair fee to Asus, plus shipping, even if it's still under warranty (in or out of warranty status doesn't matter, it's the same fee). 2 of the dead boards weren't worth repairing since a brand new replacement was around the same price after in-warranty repair fees and shipping. One was out of warranty (used) and the retailer just refunded me 100% including shipping and told me to throw it out (obviously experienced).

I have never had a problem RMA'ing a board, and I have never done it through the manufacturer. It has never taken longer than a week for me to be back up and running.

Are people not aware that every board purchased from Newegg is covered for replacement between 1 month and 1 year ?

That gives you over 3 weeks to put in a new board and take it through it's paces.

What's the problem? Don't deal with ASUS directly. Just buy their awesome products.

ASUS owwwwwns. <thunderclap>

And the P5N32E Plus is going to be the next board. Screw SLI, I just need the extra PCI-e x16 slots for the SCSI adapter card I'm going to be putting in.

sounds like you filed for rma because of your own fault :confused:
should elaborate on that more if it was indeed user error or not, or people could get mad.

Ok J. Judgy....
The point here isn't if it was my fault or not, as I said, I will never know. The fact is they sent me a DOA P5B board with a bent cpu socket pin, and charged me for repair, yet the P5N that arrived to me undamaged but got back to them screwed up because of the carrier (see picture, was taken by the shopkeeper) was reimbursed free of charge.

I don't get it, so many people with problems with Asus support and RMA.

My Asus RMA went perfectly. I searched the web for their American phone number ((510) 739-3777). I called them and within 3 rings, a pleasant sounding lady picked up. I told her about my mobo woes and she readily agreed to RMA it. She took my information and emailed me with directions (how to pack the board etc...) within 4 minutes.

I sent my board out on the 10th of this month and received it on the 19th. It was very easy and Asus handled my RMA with professionalism.

Although, my faith was shaken a bit when my LAN died on the board, the fact that I got a replacement board in 9 days was pretty sweet and I will keep buying their products.

asusrepairkitgv1.jpg

I'm with the hobbit.. Asus is very hit and miss.

Maybe I'm just lucky too. I've never had any problems with the Asus boards I've owned.

Well maybe Asus only sucks in Europe, but my good friend Arcy also had a similar lengthy and and experience as mine, and he lives in Canada... so ...

Knowing EVGA was the way to go, he wanted the 680i. He really liked EVGA.

Ahh the litte feller has aquired wisdom beyond his years.

ATM I dont even own any EVGA products, the last I bought was a MX440 graphics card, that still works in a friends mailserver.

Do this little experiment, Go to any manufacturers web site and count how many clicks it takes to find the complete terms of the warrany. Then read it, if you can even find it.

(Aye deal with the retailer if you can, but still do the above).

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/3379/asusrepairkitgv1.jpg[/i mg]

I'm with the hobbit.. Asus is very hit and miss.[/QUOTE]I'm considering using my 9mm or .223 repair kits on my dead Asus boards.

man, reading this "epic tale" gave me one helluva fuxin epic headache. :(

- JT

Dunno but when I had to RMA my asus board a year or so ago, everything went fine so....Maybe they just hate you people. :)

*golf clap* for the Hobbit! LMAO Well done, tiger.

Asus is just continuing their enjoyment of the years of hype, that produced lack of accountability :eek:

I rather enjoyed that short story, it was very well written.

I too have had some issues with ASUS boards. Actually, I’m currently in the middle of one. I’m RMAing my bad p5b-e for a replacement. Hopefully I can sell it to someone, or hell, send it back under another RMA for a refund. Either way, I’m getting myself a 680i board, probably of the EVGA variety.

Anywho, thanks for the bedtime story. ^_^

I still don't see how people can have a new board back from ASUS itself within 9 days? Huge retailers like Newegg might do the exchange themselves to satisfy the customer, but it doesn't come from ASUS.

In Europe, such huge retailers keen on customer satisfaction doesn't exist. Therefore you have to deal with smaller businesses to get service. But they're too small to have enormous stocks to afford giving you a new board while waiting 5 weeks to get a new one from ASUS. The very nice guy I dealt with sent it to his supplier, who had to send it to ASUS. The supplier however can replace any MSI or Gigabyte board immediately since they know for sure these two companies honor their warranty almost with no questions asked. ASUS are way too anal to let them do this.

I'm sure if I was still in Canada NCIX would have done something like that, but it doesn't change the fact that healthy RMA experiences are because of the retailer and not the manufacturer.

Well I shipped my board to Asus today. Stopped working on Saturday. Wouldn't post or anything and I thought I had fried my processor or video card. Took my brothers motherboard and everything works and it posted immediately.

Called 1st thing Monday. English dude picked up and asked what's wrong. I tell him I can't get it to post and I've rechecked everything twice and still a no-go. Took down my information and sent me an email within 5 minutes confirming the RMA and where to send it.

Est Delivery is on the 24th. I'm sure they'll send it out before Friday and should be here before Wednesday of next week. 10 business days and they've done their part. Looks like they SHOULD beat that and get it earlier :D

Oh yeah, fedex is the cheapest. $6 from VA TO KY with ground. 100 insurance is free

The knowledge he acquired during this experience will forever be within him. The light will shine over darkness. Whatever.

The End.

Change that bold part to quest and i fully support you, after reading about these asus horrors i wont be getting a board from them any time soon.

Hahaha, oh wow. I can't believe you wrote your story out as Lore. It takes huge balls to write in Lore yknow.

But, yeah, I've had problems with Asus too... If they didn't make such wicked overclocking boards, I'd never even talk to them. :eek:

I just RMA'd my friends M2N-E and it took 2 days , I don't like online ordershops as they tend to slow down things when there's trouble. I still pay that little extra but I prefer dialogue with a person that has knowledge and understands a customers need...

This topic is like when they fire a trainer from a football team, if the team isn't performing well they sack the trainer, while it would be sometimes better to pay the players less , so they will run for their money...

Pc hardware and all electronic stuff in general isn't as good as it used to be and that's due to our GREEN friends who insist on the updated fabrication of PCB's etc... reliability has gone down and not only at ASUS, who recalls the bad ABIT AN9 series, the numerous dead Epox boards I had, the mad MSI KT133 dying on me.

The numerous dead boards are due to bad built, set up , other defunct hardware and inexperience...

But I love to read ya hate/flame posts , luckily there are still some peeps about that are happy with the products...

You have a problem.......

Let me tell you about my ASUS experiences.

A8N-SLI: bad Northbridge fan, notorious problem. Emailed ASUS in US, same day sent out a replacement with emailed photos of how to install, and a phone call to let me know. Totally free.

Just last week: P5NSLI: bad bios chip, wouldnt take a flash to upgrade. Emailed ASUS in US, got three emails within 30 minutes to arrange for a new BIOS chip. I paid postage of 5 dollars and had a new chip in two days that had been flashed to the most current BIOS revision.

Out of 5 computers I have three ASUS boards. None has ever given me a problem with those two exceptions.

Moral of my little tale: talk to the Boss, not the shopkeeper.

funny that boards that were perfect 5 years ago (abit, asus, epox) are total crap now (see above asus stories, see any abit f-i90hd stories) and boards that were laughable 4 or 5 years ago are now top boards, ie evga, foxconn, gigabyte, dfi,

I live in Europe... maybe you guys have better ASUS support in the US, but I *did* try to call Asus, I waited both times 30min and at the 31th min they cut you off.

So *I* don't have a problem at all. EVGA handled my RMA in 1 day.

You do have a problem.......

You tried to call the company you needed and became impatient. You tried to contact them by phone all of twice.
I simply used their email system and my problems were solved within a day.

Looks like the little hobbit either has no patience or cant type.

One guy's problem doesnt make for a bad company.......ASUS is a fine company in my book, its too bad you had a bad experience. But dont make it sound like the company has a vendetta because you gave up trying to contact them.

You tried to call the company you needed and became impatient. You tried to contact them by phone all of twice.

One guy's problem doesnt make for a bad company.......ASUS is a fine company in my book, its too bad you had a bad experience. But dont make it sound like the company has a vendetta because you gave up trying to contact them.

Well, I've had the same problem. Took them 3 weeks to get my motherboard back. In that three week time, I was stuck with a lakeport 945P motherboard (a fab B experimental motherboard only built for connectivity (came out 2 years before 945P did), and not for much else, so only 1 SATA port worked out of the 4 on the motherboard, and the PCIe slot didn't even have full support from the chipset, so I ran off pre-mature GMA950 graphics). I rma'd because I got worried, seeing how my voltage deviated from my set voltage from .05 - .1 volts up and down. It wasn't a vDroop, it was literally moving up and down like a heart monitor. So I thought it was just a fluke on this one motherboard. The second one I get is clearly a refurb (I wasn't expecting a new one I guess..., but it could have been cleaner). I'm all excited, since it's surely an upgrade from the crap I'd been using and I'd been hoping that the motherboard would have stable voltages. Guess what? This motherboard's got it too. Now I've just given up cause it's such a shit board. I don't even think it's worth the shipping to send it in again. I can remember at least 10 times where I'd seriously considered getting that Asus repair kit and leveling every single capacitor, heatsink, mosfet, and dimm on this motherboard. It's such a gay pain in the ass :( Never again will I touch an Asus motherboard.

We all have our little horror stories, fortunately since I do this for a living I get to see the statistics in larger numbers. Of the hundreds of Asus boards we have installed over the years the failure rate has been extremely low, and warranty service/RMAs have been excellent when needed. I currently have four Asus boards running in my machines at home, two of which just replaced older Asus boards which did not fail, they just outlived their usefullness. Of course I have had great luck from Abit as well, and horrible experiences from Assrock and Gigabites (yes, they are spelled exactly like I wanted). To each their own (although personally, you dont have enough money to pay me to put an EVGA anything in one of my personal machines) YMMV.

Allan

We all have our little horror stories, fortunately since I do this for a living I get to see the statistics in larger numbers. Of the hundreds of Asus boards we have installed over the years the failure rate has been extremely low, and warranty service/RMAs have been excellent when needed. I currently have four Asus boards running in my machines at home, two of which just replaced older Asus boards which did not fail, they just outlived their usefullness. Of course I have had great luck from Abit as well, and horrible experiences from Assrock and Gigabites (yes, they are spelled exactly like I wanted). To each their own (although personally, you dont have enough money to pay me to put an EVGA anything in one of my personal machines) YMMV.

Allan

Ah yes. Maybe I received 2 fluke P5LD2's since everyone else gave it a rating of "stable." I saw nothing stable about both motherboard's voltages :( . I have to say, Assus (parent of Assrock), the socket 478 boards were good, but they deteriorate. My friend's P4P800E-Deluxe was an amazing motherboard. It got his P4 3.2E to 3.9Ghz stable, 4.0 boot. But now, he can't even do 3.4 Ghz on the motherboard anymore. That's clear deterioration of a motherboard. He's had it for around 2 years now. Yeah, for stock it's probably great. But Assus claims they make enthusiasts motherboards. Since when did enthusiast motherboards die in 2 years of service?

I saw that on my other P5LD2 as well. 1 year of service, and I lost about 100 mhz of overclock as well. I wasn't using any insane voltages or anything either. That AND there are plenty of cases in which people running the P5LD2 has experienced hard drives dieing, multiple hard drives, not just the one or two. That rules out that it isn't a faulty hard drive. You can't deny that.

There's another guy who, in a 4 month period, had his P5W-DH MCH deteriorate. He had to increase his MCH voltage little by little to maintain stability, and eventually had to drop his overclock and continue using high MCH voltage (I think he ended somewhere around 1.8V before he stopped using the motherboard).

There are countless cases like that. Assus may make stable motherboards at stock, but if they're only stable at stock speeds, don't market your motherboard as enthusiast boards. We won't complain if you market like Intel, under the "mainstream category,"

Listen little Kevin, I called them the first time after waiting 1 whole week to hear back from them after 4 e-mails spaced by 24 hours each. If you have some math skill, you can see that's around 11 days before trying to call... I would call this patient. If you are more than me, I salute you and will offer my foreskin to you as a gift.

Well calculate this then , Asus has more products in line then just solely motherboards, of each socket again they have ( for my liking too many) numerous variations,... imagine in the USA where they sell x amount of mobo's , some are plagued by errors ,buggs some arrive dead,...abused, all these peeps send mails, hatephones, flaming and cursing,... I think they receive 200 (add zero's to ya liking) mails a days at least and yours will be answered sometime. For my Abit prob I got a tech response after 3 weeks, once the administration was filled in it took 2 weeks to replace it all. Also the claim that an EVGA RMA was only a day yeah right, only this can happen if your dealer does it like they did with my M2N-E ( swap for an in stock mobo ) EVGA resposnse is also slow ( 10 days at least before you get a response via mail -- if you are lucky) , but hey that's pretty normal you are not the only customer in the queue...

Stealthy Fish , overclocking is not guaranteed by the manufacturer, your claims are partly correct I also had the P5W issue, but you pay what you get for and that is stock performance (in which it will run for years to come), the overclock is not guaranteed. Once you start to fiddle with the settings ( which they kindly provide) you will need to give extra cooling , power etc... don't tell me that a board that has been overclocked into the 20-50% region will hold that overclock for 3 years or so, it will all die ( electronic migration and co ) but sorry you knew that from the start. If you want to overclock you know things can go wrong...sorry I don't buy this.. an enthousiast board has all the gimmicks and add ons to provide great overclocking but the mobo itself will not support the extra heat generated for sure. I praise EVGA for providing lifetime warranty (here in Europe it's 10 years) as they will swap shitloads of their mobo's in a few years, they won't be able to keep up believe me !!

And also if you send a mobo back to RMA make sure it's completely inoperative... as they will only test it ( if they test it ) at stock speeds mate... if it boots for them and runs their tests it's okay...

Listen little Kevin, I called them the first time after waiting 1 whole week to hear back from them after 4 e-mails spaced by 24 hours each. If you have some math skill, you can see that's around 11 days before trying to call... I would call this patient. If you are more than me, I salute you and will offer my foreskin to you as a gift.

One whole week, wow......I'm sorry. Call the President of the company!
As for the foreskin.......you can keep that......may be helpful in the future.

Please, today, remember those who died for your freedom.:D

more than a week is an unacceptable delay...

I'm not from the states, I live in Europe, so I don't give a crap about memorial day :D

Back