AMD's StoreMI Technology @ [H]

Discussion in 'AMD Processors' started by FrgMstr, May 28, 2018.

1. TheSlySyl

TheSlySyl Limp Gawd

I'm still using Primocache, i haven't attempted StoreMi since my first disastrous attempt.
    I'm up to 1.5TB of NVME cache drives and 20GB of RamCache. Aside from some weirdness involving the way Xbox Game Pass stores its games, its still working fantastic.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020 at 4:41 PM
    Auer likes this.
  2. Jandor

Jandor Limp Gawd

The tech is bad. You can lose your data very easily. It doesn't cache Raid 1/5 systems. It is incompatible with Optane...

3. noko

noko [H]ardness Supreme

No problem so far. I just use it for games so if it corrupts it would be rather easy to recoup. If I spent the money on Optane, not sure why I would have spinners and not just more SSDs. I am probably on my last round for spinners, basically ones I've had from years past that still work good.

4. Jandor

Jandor Limp Gawd

Problem is that if it crashes you lose all. This is not some real cache system but rather an extension of a same fusioned virtual drive made of two, where the driver puts the part accessed more frequently on the fast drive. This is rubbish acceleration.
    The real thing doesn't do that. It uses the fast drive only for cache. It will write more on the fast drive but this is expected. If it's Optane or some SLC (even MLC like the Samsung Pro) drive it's completely okay because they have (much for SLC and Optane) bigger endurance. If you want to avoid anything related to a surprising shutdown, just turn off the cache write, and it will only duplicate data and read on the fast drive. Even more, it will cache on memory the same way (taking off some free memory for applications though) but the latter seems to be done by StoreMi and Fuzedrive too. Now another good thing for the "real" cache systems is that it will cache also any kind of virtual drive, like a Raid drive, and it will be well advised in this case to be a Raid 1 or raid 5 drive. With write cache off, this will be the safest for the fastest way to run your computer on your data.
    But of course on gaming only plateform where you may save your saves online and playing on steam with everything bought on steam or equivalent, it's kind of overkill to run safe. Better look into how to reinstall everything fast.

5. Grimlaking

Grimlaking 2[H]4U

Honestly with NVME drives and such this is overkill. If you're running a real DB server then your drives are in raid and plenty fast, plus SQL and other DB software does it's own management.

6. noko

noko [H]ardness Supreme

Not worried, working great for speeding up game loading - that is all it is doing and frankly doing it well.

Tags: