AMD's ATI Radeon HD 5830 Review @ [H]

OMG I can't help but notice you're holding it just in front of your crotch. LOL!

Umm I'm just going to throw this out there. You can either take it, or throw it right back to me. I bought one and it just came in. It's long, but it will fit. I will play BFBC2 on it as soon as I get both the game and a new power supply. Laugh with me or laugh at me, I stand by it.

Proof!

I will be interested in seeing how much of a performance boost you get from your 4830 to your 5830. Keep us posted. Maybe you can angle that card up for a positive review or lower it for a negative review for simplicity. :eek: :D

I will be interested in seeing how much of a performance boost you get from your 4830 to your 5830. Keep us posted. Maybe you can angle that card up for a positive review or lower it for a negative review for simplicity. :eek: :D

Well,

His girlfriend has noticed a commendable improvement in performance... :eek:-face

if you turn it on it's side, it looks like the batmobile doesn't it? lol

I agree, this card should've been branded a 5790 and given a $200 price tag. Performs less than a 4890 for 40$ more, no thanks.

I agree, this card should've been branded a 5790 and given a $200 price tag. Performs less than a 4890 for 40$ more, no thanks.

As soon as there is competition, that is exactly how it will be priced. Right now it is the perfect price for the third fastest single DX11 card with eyfinity, because the market will pay it. If you want to buy a DX10 card for $40 less, good for you. That's why AMD offers it.

The 5830 is not labeled a 5790 because it has a 256 bit bus. It shares more in common with the 5850 than the 5770. The only unfortunate cut I can see is that the 5830 only has 16 rops vs the 5850's 32 rops. The rops are where it's at imo. Most of the ATI cards have so many shaders that rops can turn out to be a key difference.

Still the 5830 DOES fill the gap between the 5770 and 5850. It should probably cost a bit less than suggested retail of $239 but it also comes with Modern Warfare 2 so that takes the sting out of it a bit. ATI's DX11 lineup is currently dominating the market because well... it's the only game in town for DX11 until Fermi finally ships, whenever that will be. It's March now, still nothing.

PS How in the world do you have a 1200 watt PCP&C Turbo Cool in your lab and not have a review available for it? That sounds like a monster power supply!

Last edited:
The 5830 is not labeled a 5790 because it has a 256 bit bus. It shares more in common with the 5850 than the 5770. The only unfortunate cut I can see is that the 5830 only has 16 rops vs the 5850's 32 rops. The rops are where it's at imo. Most of the ATI cards have so many shaders that rops can turn out to be a key difference.

Still the 5830 DOES fill the gap between the 5770 and 5850. It should probably cost a bit less than suggested retail of $239 but it also comes with Modern Warfare 2 so that takes the sting out of it a bit. ATI's DX11 lineup is currently dominating the market because well... it's the only game in town for DX11 until Fermi finally ships, whenever that will be. It's March now, still nothing.

PS How in the world do you have a 1200 watt PCP&C Turbo Cool in your lab and not have a review available for it? That sounds like a monster power supply!
the 5830 that includes MW 2 is $269 and even the other models went up to $249 or more as of last week.

Still the 5830 DOES fill the gap between the 5770 and 5850. It should probably cost a bit less than suggested retail of $239 but it also comes with Modern Warfare 2 so that takes the sting out of it a bit.!

Not all 5830s come with MW2, only the $269 Asus 5830. :rolleyes:

i'd argue that you're still getting ripped off buying a 5830 WITH MW2 for $270 when for $30 more you could get the 5850 . . . .

I don't post often, but thought I'd chime in.
I have a gateway fx6800(yes the horror), as I was severley injured after being hit by a drunk
driver I lost the ability to move cases around and precesion build my own custom pc's, something I enjoyed for years (AMDK6-3, best proc ever!). Anyways, long story short, I'm on a fixed budget these days, and, after pouring over 50+ net reviews, which, as everyone here has stated, are literally all over the board in terms of perfromance/power usage, I decided to go ahead and get the powercolor 5830. Well, right off the bat it's overclock from the factory is pointless lol, but, with overdrive and the beta 10.3 drivers, wow-sliders go all the way right and I'm sure theres more if I want to add Riva Tuner or MSI's afterburner.

What card did I replace for this you ask? An EVGA Geforce Core 216-thats right, a card that whoops the 5830 in direct x 9 games, which this will be the last eyar for alot of DX9. Why? Well, I sold my 260 and got alot of cash back which helped, in DX10 games I have I get 20-30 more FPS with the 5830 than I did the 260, and it has future DX11 support. The 5850's have skyrocketed up in price since this article and many comments were first posted, so for ME, it's a great card, ended up at a good price, it's future proof, and after havign been an nvidia fanboy since switching back to them after owning Radeons for a long time (I still have the origional radeon in my closet lol), figured I'd give AMD/ATI a shot while waiting a year or two to see how Nvidia re-works itself out.

This is a nice little (well, not literally lol) card, draws less power at idle/max than my 260 did, gives me better performance as all of my current games are DX10 save 1, I have DX11 futureproofing, it fit MY budget, and I'm happy. Anyone wanting to get this card, as soon as you plug it in and install drivers, just OC it. There's a TON of headroom, and you get alot closer to the 5850 numbers.

Just an update for the new 13a Catalyst drivers.
The ati catalyst slider lets you goto 1000 for the core and 1450 for memory.
My Powercolor 5830 is running stable and cool at 1000 core, 1350 memory, and in most
of my games I'm seeing between 15-40 more FPS than I had on my old EVGA 260 core 216. This card was def worth it, as the lowest priced 5850's are now well over $300 on newegg.

So apparently two of these overclocked in Crossfire perform VERY close to crossfire 5850 performance, which itself is faster than a 5970 (It will trade blows with GTX 480). When these come down to $200, THAT's gonna be a major value proposition of these cards.

I have experienced severe "black screen"/freezing issues with the Radeon HD5830 and after researching a bit, it seems that many have been experiencing the exact same issue.

Many here have posted comments regarding the relative lack of an increase in speed over the HD5790 or HD5770. I can't speak to that, as I have not used either; however, I can tell you that coupled with the SSD Raid0 in the HP Envy 15 model I purchased, the unit is blindingly fast. I was able to INSTANTLY Alt+Tab back and forth between a memory intensive 3D games on FullHD resolution such as Dragon Age Origins, Bioshock 2 and Mass Effect 2 to extremely large poster files (over 1GB) in Photoshop CS4, to flash intensive web pages, such as hulu or youtube, back and forth repeatedly without any lag whatsoever on the screen.

I purchased an Envy 15 about 1 month ago with the following specs:

i7-820QM processor
320GB Dual SSD (Raid0)
16GB RAM
ATI Mobility Radeon HD5830
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

The complete price including tax for this customized model was well over $4,000. On the very first bootup on the day I received the model in the mail from HP shopping, I went through the process of setting up windows and then the system froze up. The screen became filled with a colorful static effect with moving black horizontal lines.

On restart, the windows error reporting was as follows:

"You received this message because hardware or software on your computer caused Windows to shut down unexpectedly and restart. This is a serious problem, commonly referred to as a stop error or blue screen. If you have received this error more than once, we recommend that you do the following: Back up your files to avoid data loss in case of a complete hardware failure. Contact the original manufacturer of your computer to determine the specific component which is failing. Although we know the problem is caused by a hardware component, the error report does not contain enough information to tell us the specific component. It is likely that the problem is being caused by one of the following computer components: Random access memory (RAM) System board Central Processing Unit (CPU) Power supply"

I called HP Envy tech support and they put me in touch with the customer support rep who sent me a shipping label to return the laptop and get a refund. She offered me a $170 discount in the event I decided to keep it, so I thought I would continue using the model and see if it was perhaps a one-time problem on setting up windows for the first time.

Over the course of 2 weeks, I experienced black screen crash or freezing (with repeating loop of 1 frame of corresponding audio) approximately 10-15 times per day. The only way to get out of that screen was by hard reset.

I also noticed when running the crystalmark benchmark my 4k read speed was 10x lower than it should have been - in fact, the 4k read speed for the SSD Raid0 was slower than the 4k write speed!

CrystalDiskMark 2.2 (C) 2007-2008
--------------------------------
Sequential Read : 469.045 MB/s
Sequential Write : 155.626 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 253.068 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 133.743 MB/s
Random Read 4KB : 10.294 MB/s
Random Write 4KB : 55.438 MB/s
Test Size : 100 MB Date : 2010/03/10 1:54:01

I eventually returned my unit for complete refund; however, as it was the most lightning fast experience I have ever had (during the times when it did not freeze or crash on me) working on very large photoshop and illustrator files, I plan to order the exact same model once they correct the graphics card and 4k read speed issues.

From a bit of research, it appears many people with other brands of laptops have experienced exactly the same "black screen" issue with similar ATI Radeon graphics cards that we are having with the HD5830 used in the Envy 15, leading me to wonder whether many of these ATI graphics cards are simply defective. I'm surprised that HP did not test them more rigorously before choosing to implement them in the Envy 15. I am eager to order another HP Envy 15, but do I need to wait until HP refreshes the line with an entirely different graphics card? Is anyone who has ordered the Envy 15 NOT experiencing this black screen issue? I wonder the percentage of users who are experiencing black screen issues with the Envy 15. Is it limited to those who have custom orders? Are people who bought the "quick-ship" models also experiencing this?

Here are several links to postings regarding the "black screen" issue with the ATI Radeon HD5830, HD4850 and HD4830 in various brands of computer:

http://h20435.www2.hp.com/t5/HP-Env...nvy-15-Blank-Screen-Issues-lets-do/td-p/54168

http://h20435.www2.hp.com/t5/HP-Envy-Notebooks/hp-envy-blue-screen/td-p/53060

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=260&threadid=124628

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1327398

http://radeoncrash.blogspot.com/2009/07/radeon-hd-4850-black-screen-solution.html

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=260&threadid=110202

http://forums.legitreviews.com/about20444.html

http://forums.techarena.in/monitor-video-cards/1090281.htm

http://forum.ncix.com/forums/index.php?mode=showthread&msg_id=1750866&threadid=1750866&forum=215&pro...

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=89083

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/254855-33-hd4850-freezes-black-screens

On an aesthetic level, this model is fantastic. Very slim, even when using the optional 9-cell slice battery. Others have complained about the heat issue but when I used a Zalman NC1000 notebook cooler, I had no problems whatsoever with overheating, in fact the underside of the laptop was cool to the touch.

The only gripe I had about the design was the plethora of special function keys on the left side of the keyboard. I kept accidentally opening the Print menu or web page, email, etc., when playing a video game or working in Photoshop. I had a great deal of difficulty to attempt to disable those keys and even with using the keyboard layout menus in control panel, I was not able to disable them. I was tempted to purchase special software for customizing keyboard layout for the sole purpose of disabling those annoying and poorly located special function keys.

The touchpad was slightly less sensitive and slightly more difficult to use compared to the MacBook Pro. Hopefully this will be resolved with driver or BIOS update.

When using the 9cell slice battery I had about 4 hours of battery life, which is not great, but much better than my previous laptop. For long international flights I would recommend taking along 2 fully charged slice batteries.

Again the graphics performance was amazing except for those 10-15 times per day that the graphics card crashed or froze up. Other than that it was lightning fast. As of today, the only solution I am aware of for the graphics problem is replacing the graphics card. I don't know if replacing the SSD with a third party dual SSD Raid0 will improve the 4k read speed.

BTW mobility radeon 5830 is completly diffrent from desktop 5830

It has 128 bit memory and 800 shader cores and 500 Mhz core which locates it below 5750 from desktop variety.

Well i just got mine in today Sapphire 5830 and I love it.. 20*C cooler than my old 5770 and I can bump resolution up to 1920x1080 with all gfx setting to high @DX9 in BFBC2 and still get 50-60 fps. Compared to 55fps at all medium and 1600x900.

It runs on my cooler master elite 460w PSU.. (will be upgrading that next week)

All in all im pretty impressed with this card.. Once i get my new PSU, i plan on over clocking it.

10.4 drivers help out alot with this card.

Last edited:
http://techreport.com/articles.x/18521/5

3dm-color.gif

We've often thought that GPU performance in 3DMark's color fill rate test seems to be limited primarily by memory bandwidth. Notice how much faster the Radeon HD 4870 is than the Radeon HD 5770, for instance. The 5770 has a slightly higher theoretical peak fill rate, but the 4870 has nearly twice the memory bandwidth and proves markedly faster in this directed test.

The 5830, however, breaks that trend by delivering much a lower measured fill rate than the 5850, though their memory bandwidth on paper is identical. Heck, the 4870 outscores the 5830, too, even though it has slightly less theoretical peak fill rate and memory bandwidth. Something about the way AMD pruned back the Cypress GPU's render back-ends produces unexpectedly poor results in this test.

An excellent article with much more in-depth analysis on the issue here: http://www.behardware.com/articles/783-3/preview-radeon-hd-5830.html

It's a very good read. The R800 architecture appears to have the ROP's linked to the memory controller in that cutting the ROP's in half really does affect the usage of the available bandwidth.

Last edited:
http://techreport.com/articles.x/18521/5

3dm-color.gif

An excellent article with much more in-depth analysis on the issue here: http://www.behardware.com/articles/783-3/preview-radeon-hd-5830.html

It's a very good read. The R800 architecture appears to have the ROP's linked to the memory controller in that cutting the ROP's in half really does affect the usage of the available bandwidth.

Which would also explain the HD5450's poor showing in the same test relative to the HD4650 (even when the HD4650 is equipped with DDR2); the halved ROPs eliminates the memory-bandwidth advantage the DX11 budget part has over the DX10.1 part it supersedes. Even though both have 128-bit buses (and the HD5450, unlike the HD4650, is now paired only with DDR3; there are still some of the numerically-lower part with DDR2 instead, notably from XFX) instead of waxing the HD4650, the HD5450 barely holds even in video, and actually trails in areas where memory-bandwidth is an issue.

Oooops.

How did you get 10.4 working with the 5830? I tried installing it but it didn't recognize the card and from what I've read, everyone is having the same problem.

I am running 10.4 with my HD5450 (which came out after the HD5830), and was using the same drivers with the HD3450 it replaced.

How did you get 10.4 working with the 5830? I tried installing it but it didn't recognize the card and from what I've read, everyone is having the same problem.

Like old nVidia drivers back in the day, I'm guessing you add the device into the driver INF? I wont have my 5830 until thrusday to test, but try adding this

"ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series " = ati2mtag_Evergreen, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_689E

with the rest of the cards.. That should work.

I searched around for the device and matched it up with the driver that Ati has for the 5830 on the site. So it should work?

Like old nVidia drivers back in the day, I'm guessing you add the device into the driver INF? I wont have my 5830 until thrusday to test, but try adding this

"ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series " = ati2mtag_Evergreen, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_689E

with the rest of the cards.. That should work.

I searched around for the device and matched it up with the driver that Ati has for the 5830 on the site. So it should work?

Nope....picked up on the fly (as AMD HD5400 series).

I have a 5830 and tried that but it did not work. It seems AMD dropped the bomb on the HD5830. I have a XFX HD5830 which is a upgrade from a Diamond HD3850. The funny thing is if you go to AMD's website and use the wizard they have a link for the 5830 on it which takes you to ver 10.2 of the drivers.

I am currently using ver 10.3 with no problem but could not get 10.4 to install no mater what I do. I think the 10.4a people have some luck to get to install but have problems with it. I tried to talk to AMD about it but their Tech support guys are clueless plus they had a thread about on their forums which I guess they do not read cause there is not a formal statement from them to say they know whats going on and they are trying to fix it.
Wish the guys here at [H]ardocp would ask them about it since AMD headquarters is right there in Austin, TX. Maybe they would get a responce out of them about a fix cause all XFX would tell me is that AMD is working on it and that they are going to work it in on future products but it doesn't stop XFX from saying that 10.4 drivers will work with the HD5830. lol

I am currently using ver 10.3 with no problem but could not get 10.4 to install no mater what I do. I think the 10.4a people have some luck to get to install but have problems with it. I tried to talk to AMD about it but their Tech support guys are clueless plus they had a thread about on their forums which I guess they do not read cause there is not a formal statement from them to say they know whats going on and they are trying to fix it.
Yup, 10.4 pretty much doesn't work for the 5830. BTW, what are the max temps you've ever gotten on your 5830? Mine has hit 92C when playing AOEIII at 1920x1200 with everything set to max. Getting a little worried here so I thought I'll get the Zalman VF3000A soon.

Just got my Sapphire 5830 installed and tested. Running the 10.4a drivers with no issue.

Overclocked to 950/1200 at 60% fan speed I'm hitting 63 in Kombuster(spelling) and about mid 50s in game/3dmark. Very impressed with the cooler. AT stock clocks I was only hitting 42@22% fan speed. Not what I was expecting.

Overall extremely happy with it. I sold my 5770 for 100 locally(quick sale) which I didn't pay for, so the 5830 was only 140 out of pocket. Performance has been great, although I haven't tried much. Hopped into a BC2 game(full) and set everything to High, 16xAF, 4XAA HBAO off and it's so much smoother, especially in firefights/heavy smoke which crawled on the 5770.

Probably a dumb question, but what happens if you install this in a mobo that's only 2.0 PCI-X?

Just got my Sapphire 5830 installed and tested. Running the 10.4a drivers with no issue.

Overclocked to 950/1200 at 60% fan speed I'm hitting 63 in Kombuster(spelling) and about mid 50s in game/3dmark. Very impressed with the cooler. AT stock clocks I was only hitting 42@22% fan speed. Not what I was expecting.

Overall extremely happy with it. I sold my 5770 for 100 locally(quick sale) which I didn't pay for, so the 5830 was only 140 out of pocket. Performance has been great, although I haven't tried much. Hopped into a BC2 game(full) and set everything to High, 16xAF, 4XAA HBAO off and it's so much smoother, especially in firefights/heavy smoke which crawled on the 5770.

But I thought that the 5830 was only a few frames faster than the 5770, in fact, slower than the 4890?

And only 40$ less than a 5850?

Good to know. And now I'm curious, what improvements does 2.1 offer over the 2.0 version? Wiki was lite on info.

Wiki explains it well here:

PCI Express 2.1 supports a large proportion of the management, support, and troubleshooting systems planned to be fully implemented in PCI Express 3.0. However, the speed is the same as PCI Express 2.0.

You will see absolutely no difference.

But I thought that the 5830 was only a few frames faster than the 5770, in fact, slower than the 4890?

And only 40$ less than a 5850?
depends on the game. in BC2 the the 5770 struggles a little more than in other titles so an overclocked 5830 would probably be noticeably faster there. in most games though the 5830 isnt too much better than a 5770 and yes even the the 4890 beats or matches the 5830 in most cases.

SO bassically the 5830 is soemwhere bewteen the 200$ 4890 and the 140$ 5770?

Thats the impressioni got from the rewiews I saw.

SO bassically the 5830 is soemwhere bewteen the 200$ 4890 and the 140$ 5770?

Thats the impressioni got from the rewiews I saw.

No, for newer games, overall I would give a sight performance edge to the HD5830 over the HD4890 or even performance. And the HD5830 sells for ~$200-220 now, not $250. The HD4870 1GB is faster than the HD5770 by a few frames though.

Looking at lowest prices on newegg right now:

HD4870 1GB $137 AR
HD5770 1GB $145 AR
HD5830 1GB $200 AR
HD4890 1GB $208
HD5850 1GB $290 AR
You could add BCB to save a few more dollars too.

The only problem with the HD5830 was its initial MSRP of $250 being so close to the HD5850 price, but that has not been the case for over a month now. I paid $200 for my HD5830 and it overclocks great (985/1200mhz). It runs my 3 22" 1680x1050 monitors great in Eyefinity at medium/high settings mixed. The HD5770 could not handle all meduim settings and is only ~$50 cheaper, while the HD5850 is ~$100 more. I may purchase another for crossfire if I play more demanding games in the future.

Last edited:
No, for newer games, overall I would give a sight performance edge to the HD5830 over the HD4890 or even performance. And the HD5830 sells for ~$200-220 now, not $250. The HD4870 1GB is faster than the HD5770 by a few frames though.

Looking at lowest prices on newegg right now:

HD4870 1GB $137 AR
HD5770 1GB $145 AR
HD5830 1GB $200 AR
HD4890 1GB $208
HD5850 1GB $290 AR
You could add BCB to save a few more dollars too.

The only problem with the HD5830 was its initial MSRP of $250 being so close to the HD5850 price, but that has not been the case for over a month now. I paid $200 for my HD5830 and it overclocks great (985/1200mhz). It runs my 3 22" 1680x1050 monitors great in Eyefinity at medium/high settings mixed. The HD5770 could not handle all meduim settings and is only ~$50 cheaper, while the HD5850 is ~$100 more. I may purchase another for crossfire if I play more demanding games in the future.

At those clocks you've almost got a stock 5850, as long as AA isn't high.

Back