AMD's ATI Radeon HD 5830 Review @ [H]

Brent_Justice

AMD's ATI Radeon HD 5830 Review -
This is the video card gamers have been waiting for, an answer to the gap that exists between the Radeon HD 5770 and Radeon HD 5850 has been delivered. The Radeon HD 5830 launches today, and it offers price and performance right in-between these two video cards. If you are looking for a great value, this is it.

Last edited:
Nice article, was hoping for a little more outa the 5830 for that kinda price, but I guess I can thank Nvidia for that? Did you have a chance to do much EyeFinity with it? Just curious if the extra res bring it closer to the 5770 or 5850.

Last edited:
Great Review.

Card was about what I expected. 16 ROPs means you can't do massive AA at higher resolutions, but the massive memory bandwidth means you can get beyond the limits of the castrated 5770.

Not a bad card, although I'm not sure if it's worth the $40 price premium over the 4890. However, since the 4890 is now EOL, that problem will go away very shortly.

One thing I've noticed though through three reviews ([H], Anandtech and Xbit) is that there is a LARGE variation in load power with the 5830.

[H] = 20w less than 5850
Xbit = exactly the same as 5850
Anand = 15w MORE than 5850

Even accounting for play in the powersupply efficiencies, that is one wide power swing.

This points to two things in my mind:

1. The 5830 really is using reject silicon (unlike the 4830, which was just disabling good cores to fill a price-point). This low-grade silicon may have higher power consumption at the same task than the higher-grade silicon used in the 5850/5870, or may use a higher voltage.

2. The VRMs are likely of lower-quality than the 5850/5870, making them less efficient. This too would account for the higher overall consumption of the card (given the performance).

These two factors may be the reason why the max rated power is a massive 175w!

Nothing against ATI releasing new products. At least they're not playing the constant rebranding game nVidia is doing, but I just wish they would slot in cards at the other end of the spectrum where the price gap is so much more significant (i.e., 5850 -> 5870 -> 5970). Of course, having little competition at that end is also to blame.

If it was 220 or 210 i would have given it gold, but as price stands... silver..

It's gonna be a gold card once prices drops!

I seriously had high hopes for this card, but IMO it is a failure. Basically it is slower than a 4890 for $50 more. Sure it support eyefinity but it to slow to do anything with it anyway. It supports directx 11, but that feature along with the audio bitstreaming is certainly not worth the price premium. What a waste of an opportunity for ATI, Based on performance this card as it stands should have been branded 5790 and priced for $190.

Guess I'll be holding onto my 4890 for a while longer until Fermi becomes available or the 5850 drops down to it's original launch price of $250.

I am not too impressed with it. It seems to not be doing much compared to a 4890. I guess it would be an upgrade from my X850XT though.

Seems to be a good use to salvage cores. I don't see the point at $240, but eventually I see it sub $200.

Ever since launch of HD5850 I have felt better about paying $253 shipped for my card :)

What are the temps for this card? Or is it best to wait for a retail card since they might change the fan design? I like the performance, but I need something cool.

this card was a failure in the Anandtech review. it could not even beat the 4890 according their benchmarks. also at 240 bucks this card is a joke.

Great Review.

Card was about what I expected. 16 ROPs means you can't do massive AA at higher resolutions, but the massive memory bandwidth means you can get beyond the limits of the castrated 5770.

Not a bad card, although I'm not sure if it's worth the $40 price premium over the 4890. However, since the 4890 is now EOL, that problem will go away very shortly.

One thing I've noticed though through three reviews ([H], Anandtech and Xbit) is that there is a LARGE variation in load power with the 5830.

[H] = 20w less than 5850
Xbit = exactly the same as 5850
Anand = 15w MORE than 5850

Even accounting for play in the powersupply efficiencies, that is one wide power swing.

This points to two things in my mind:

1. The 5830 really is using reject silicon (unlike the 4830, which was just disabling good cores to fill a price-point). This low-grade silicon may have higher power consumption at the same task than the higher-grade silicon used in the 5850/5870, or may use a higher voltage.

2. The VRMs are likely of lower-quality than the 5850/5870, making them less efficient. This too would account for the higher overall consumption of the card (given the performance).

These two factors may be the reason why the max rated power is a massive 175w!

actually another answer for it could be that they are running different Engineering samples or they are running cards from different manufactures which are using different PCB's and hardware.. due to [H]'s using the reference heatsink we know this one is obviously an ES card and not a retail card..(check the bottom of the page with the power readings since they explain it there)

Hm, I think this just makes me want to save up an extra $60 and just go with a 5850. Unless the 5830 will be had for $219.99 retail I probably won't be buying it. $240 is just the MSRP... wait until the AIB makers get done with it and demand hits it. It'll be going for $260.00 on Newegg no doubt.

At $200, it would be a decent deal, but at MSRP, I would rather grab the 5850. woot for ATi releasing new cards...still waiting for green team to join the DX11 foray.

so now we have a $240+ 5830 that cant even beat the 4890 in most cases according to Firingsquad and Anandtech. thats quite sad for a card with 320 more sp.

honestly I am not all that impressed with the 5000 series at all. its a joke that the 5870 cant even beat the 4870x2 in many cases. it matches it spec wise and even has higher clocks and no crossfire to deal with yet it is not better at all and costs more. the 5850 seems okay but there are a couple of times where it barely beats the gtx285(yes I know this card currently a rip off) which seems a little weak based on its specs too. it just doesnt offer the kick ass value that the 4850 had.

the 5770/5750 are higher priced than the 4870 4890 and are slower overall. the 5670 was a nice jump over the 4670 mainly because of memory bandwidth increase but it actually uses more power and costs too much for its performance. the 5570 is slower than the cheaper 4670 in some cases and there is no value in that card at all. the 5450 is a joke and offers nothing over the 4550 or really even the 4350 all while costing more. the 5970 is pretty impressive but its sad that it has to be out out of spec just to reach the 5870 clockspeeds. also at 600-700 bucks its crazy priced.

really if all their products were a little cheaper then I would see more value over the previous 4000 series but at this point I dont. the 5000 series significantly(on high end) raised the overall price points instead of just raising the performance at those same points. 4000 series had kick ass performance for the price across the board while the 5000 series actually has way lower overall performance for its asking prices.

so now we have a $240+ 5830 that cant even beat the 4890 in most cases according to Firingsquad and Anandtech. thats quite sad for a card with 320 more sp.

honestly I am not all that impressed with the 5000 series at all. its a joke that the 5870 cant even beat the 4870x2 in many cases. it matches it spec wise and even has higher clocks and no crossfire to deal with yet it is not better at all and costs more. the 5850 seems okay but there are a couple of times where it barely beats the gtx285(yes I know this card currently a rip off) which seems a little weak based on its specs too. it just doesnt offer the kick ass value that the 4850 had.

the 5770/5750 are higher priced than the 4870 4890 and are slower overall. the 5670 was a nice jump over the 4670 mainly because of memory bandwidth increase but it actually uses more power and costs too much for its performance. the 5570 is slower than the cheaper 4670 in some cases and there is no value in that card at all. the 5450 is a joke and offers nothing over the 4550 or really even the 4350 all while costing more. the 5970 is pretty impressive but its sad that it has to be out out of spec just to reach the 5870 clockspeeds. also at 600-700 bucks its crazy priced.

really if all their products were a little cheaper then I would see more value over the previous 4000 series but at this point I dont. the 5000 series significantly(on high end) raised the overall price points instead of just raising the performance at those same points. 4000 series had kick ass performance for the price across the board while the 5000 series actually has way lower overall performance for its asking prices.
Oh, gosh, I thought nobody else had this feeling! Everyone else seems to have a feeling that Cypress was awesome and that it was executed perfectly on all fronts and that AMD could not have done better. I'm glad that there's someone else out there who finds the performance a little bit lackluster for a completely new generation of GPU.

Glad I grabbed a Gigabyte GTX 260 Super Overclock last week while I still could. I don't need DX11 now (and there's nothing on the horizon for the next year that I want) and it'll easily beat the HD 5830 in most everything else (sits between a GTX 275 and GTX 285 in performance). Plus it was $200, not $240. For once I made the right move at the right time.

Definitely interested in the 5830, im not that much of a gamer anymore and my 4870 is on it's way out so this would be an ideal card for me i think. The most demanding game i play is MW2 but when starcraft 2 is out i am prepared and also future CoD titles and Valve games when they hopefully talk about DX11.
Nice review! Thanks :)

Definitely interested in the 5830, im not that much of a gamer anymore and my 4870 is on it's way out so this would be an ideal card for me i think. The most demanding game i play is MW2 but when starcraft 2 is out i am prepared and also future CoD titles and Valve games when they hopefully talk about DX11.
Nice review! Thanks :)
you are going to replace a 4870 with a $240+ card that will barely be faster?

As much as I respect [H] I have no idea how this card scored gold.

I mean c'mon, it doesn't qualify for more than bronze, and that already would be extragerration:

Does price/performance (price closer to 5850, performance closer to 5770) qualify it for gold award?
Does poor efficiency (performance/Watt is worse than 5850 and even 5870) qualify it for gold award?
Does premium price over HD4890 (for the same performance) qualify it for gold award?

As it stands, the HD5830 is "yet another card to fill the price point gap". Nothing outstanding, just an average player, and actually the most dissapointing entrance to the DX11 party by AMD so far :O

I mean c'mon, it doesn't qualify for more than bronze, and that already would be extragerration:

Does price/performance (price closer to 5850, performance closer to 5770) qualify it for gold award?
Does poor efficiency (performance/Watt is worse than 5850 and even 5870) qualify it for gold award?
Does premium price over HD4890 (for the same performance) qualify it for gold award?

As it stands, the card is "yet another card to fill the gap". Nothing outstanding, just an average player, and actually the most dissapointing entrance to the DX11 party by AMD so far :O
yeah if the 5830 is gold then the old 4890 must be double platinum because its faster and cheaper.

Im curious as to the ability to enable the disabled sections of the GPU given that it is not a defective unit. Could this possibly be the next Phenom II X3 where the ability to enable the fourth core makes it a hugely attractive, but risky choice?

I ask this because i don't know the specifics, but the fact that its not disabling a whole core makes me think that enabling the disabled parts would not be possible. Thoughts?

Im curious as to the ability to enable the disabled sections of the GPU given that it is not a defective unit. Could this possibly be the next Phenom II X3 where the ability to enable the fourth core makes it a hugely attractive, but risky choice?

I ask this because i don't know the specifics, but the fact that its not disabling a whole core makes me think that enabling the disabled parts would not be possible. Thoughts?

no its pretty much impossible to do that unless they implemented it in the drivers its self which we all know AMD/ATI will not do.. the reason the AMD deneb cores are unlockable was an accident.. i dont think AMD had any idea that ACC would effect the fact that the cores were hardware disabled and not physically cut like the disabled cores on the phenom I's were..

Now, that would be awesome to unlock one ROP block (8 units) and make the card actually perform.
Given the recent AMD record, I wouldn't hold my breath to such possiblity.... the times of radeon 9500pro are long gone.

you are going to replace a 4870 with a $240+ card that will barely be faster?

notice he said "on its way out".. which would give you an idea that the cards probably on its last breath..

and depending on his resolution he plays at.. then ya.. why not replace it with a card that is barely faster then the 4870 with dx11 support.. hell id replace it just for the pure fact that the heatsinks used on manufactured versions of the 5830 will be better and quieter then then whats on the 4870.. not to mention barely faster means crap when there arent even any numbers for it while its overclocked(which is one thing i think needs to be used in the reviews here)

Definitely have to agree with you on this one. However with latest drivers I thin 5870 is finally starting to even out with 4870x2 (about time).

notice he said "on its way out".. which would give you an idea that the cards probably on its last breath..

and depending on his resolution he plays at.. then ya.. why not replace it with a card that is barely faster then the 4870 with dx11 support.. hell id replace it just for the pure fact that the heatsinks used on manufactured versions of the 5830 will be better and quieter then then whats on the 4870.. not to mention barely faster means crap when there arent even any numbers for it while its overclocked(which is one thing i think needs to be used in the reviews here)
yes I knew that he meant his 4870 is going out but I sure as hell would not pay over 240 bucks for a new card thats just barely faster. he was making it seem like the 5830 is a good deal when it clearly isnt. and good luck overclocking that 5850 enough to make any significant difference.

As it stands, the HD5830 is "yet another card to fill the price point gap". Nothing outstanding, just an average player, and actually the most dissapointing entrance to the DX11 party by AMD so far :O

yeah if the 5830 is gold then the old 4890 must be double platinum because its faster and cheaper.

Same here I wonder how the hell it got a gold award when it loses to 4890 and sometimes GTX260 while asking much higher price.

And it even managed to lose whole performance/power consumption adventage 5850/70 has.

Same here I wonder how the hell it got a gold award when it loses to 4890 and sometimes GTX260 while asking much higher price.

And it even managed to lose whole performance/power consumption adventage 5850/70 has.

Because its DX11! :rolleyes: ;) Its nice seeing a $125 card at the $235 price point. Thanks for raping the market while you can ATI. Thanks Nvidia!

A gold rating? I know ati is popular here right now but come on? I am sure [H] would never bow to the marketing men from any vendor, but if it hadn't been for [H] history I would think they had done so here.

A year ago I could buy a 4890 for $180, now I can buy a SLOWER 5830 for $240!!!

What I should see is something that blows away the 4890 for $180, that would be progress as it is we have a pretty big step backwards. How is this worth gold?

Sure you can point to it's new features but they aren't much good in a card this price:
Eyeinfinity: It's too slow, anyone spending $600+ on monitors is gonna buy a faster card then this, pointless.
Bitstreaming audio: Like anyone is going to use a card with a huge power draw like this in a HTPC, pointless.
DX11: While useful in theory, look at real DX11 games - e.g. AvP - the performance hit from the DX11 path is just too great, you'd end up using in DX10 mode most of the time.
Power draw: This is the most power hungry 5xxx series card for it's performance out there, it's still less then a 4890 but not by enough to matter.

On top of that, just in case it wasn't enough it's a paper launch!

Critique over the award is raining and justly so. Sad to see that decision but it's yours to make. Bronze award I could have agreed on if the price was at $199, but as mentioned it is slower then 4890 and hotter then 5850. A gold award at $239 leaves but a few conclusions left; too generous or bought award (sorry had to say it :p) etc. One of the few reviews I've read here in a long while where I actually genuinely disagree as it's too expensive, paper-launch, slower then previous gen and hotter then its older brother.

Not sure what the people saying the HD4890 is faster are reading. Every review I have looked at shows the HD5830 is faster or equal.

I agree that a lower price would have been better, $200-220 range.

Good card over all, but price needs some work.

Not sure what the people saying the HD4890 is faster are reading. Every review I have looked at shows the HD5830 is faster or equal.

I agree that a lower price would have been better, $200-220 range.

Good card over all, but price needs some work.

If you go to guru3d they have 8 titles tested in dx9/10
among those 5830 loses in 1 title to 4870 ,in 4 titles it loses to 4890 and in 3 titles to GTX 260.

That's not performance we expect from card released 1 year later at higher price point.

While I agree with you on alot of your points I think something many are forgetting is that the 5000 series is new tech and as well Nvidia hasn't released anything to offer competition therefore the prices will remain high on the 5000 series.

The new tech of the 5000 series means eyefinity, DX11 support, and overall generally lower power consumption than the 4000 series.

Now is that worth the extra price? Well thats for the individual buyer to decide. If all things considered the 5000 series are a nice run of cards especially for first gen, barring the gsod issues, and I cant really blame ATi for charging a premium price point at this time especially since Nvidia can't offer any viable competition. I bet prices on the 5770, 5830, and 5850 will be dropped within the month. I mean Microcenter just had a 5850 for 269.00. Give it time and the 5000 series will be priced more competitively for the consumer soon enough.

Agreed, at this price it doesn't make sense, you might as well save for a little longer and buy a 5850, or just buy a 4890.

A gold rating? I know ati is popular here right now but come on? I am sure [H] would never bow to the marketing men from any vendor, but if it hadn't been for [H] history I would think they had done so here.

A year ago I could buy a 4890 for $180, now I can buy a SLOWER 5830 for $240!!!

What I should see is something that blows away the 4890 for $180, that would be progress as it is we have a pretty big step backwards. How is this worth gold?

Sure you can point to it's new features but they aren't much good in a card this price:
Eyeinfinity: It's too slow, anyone spending $600+ on monitors is gonna buy a faster card then this, pointless.
Bitstreaming audio: Like anyone is going to use a card with a huge power draw like this in a HTPC, pointless.
DX11: While useful in theory, look at real DX11 games - e.g. AvP - the performance hit from the DX11 path is just too great, you'd end up using in DX10 mode most of the time.
Power draw: This is the most power hungry 5xxx series card for it's performance out there, it's still less then a 4890 but not by enough to matter.

On top of that, just in case it wasn't enough it's a paper launch!

You nailed it, especially when it comes to Eyefinity. Spending extra for these features given the card's performance is questionable.

Frankly, I'm surprised at the score here, its pretty much the only unanimously positive one out of the rest of the major tech sites. Much of the criticism I've seen leveled at this card has been legit. It'll make sense after the price comes down, maybe after nVidia shows their hand next month.

Worst review I've ever seen HardOCP publish. Absolutely shameful review and it should be pulled from the web immediately.

How can you review this card as if the only competition it faced was other ATI cards?

Fact is, this card is slower than a Radeon 4890 but is selling for $240... it's insulting.

I suggest everyone go read reviews elsewhere until the people at HardOCP pull their head out of their asses... this review is disgraceful.

Thanks for the review. I'm a bit disappointed actually, I was expecting more from the card with a lower price. For me it is worth it to add more money to buy the HD 5850 and even HD 5870. The problem is, all the HD5000 cards are priced perfectly for their performance relative to each other, I can not say which one has a better value for the money compared to the others.

I don't really like that you change the settings to make the cards have comparable framerates rather than have the same settings and weigh the difference in framerates. If I wasn't spot checking the resolution and ingame settings I'd think "Oh these all perform the same.". Yeah yeah I know, why read if I'm not looking for the differences, just voicing my opinion.

It seems like it's a cut above a 5770. Does that essentially put it in line with a 4890? So I'd be paying $50-100 more directx11 and eyefinity? Not complaining just confirming.

oh so much crying and moaning first of all 4890 s idle power usage is terrible second all cards you mentioned are eoled there are few left on market and soon there will be non so why 5830 must fight ghost products can somebody explain me ? 4890 priced at 180 is result of competition no competition no price cuts sorry thats how thing work

Back