AMD vs. Intel HEDT Platform Showdown Editorial

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by Kyle_Bennett, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Vaulter98c

Vaulter98c [H]ard|DCer of the Month - October 2009

yea, no one actually wants to see a review of a $40,000+ setup when instead we could get reviews of things we could actually want. That linus thing was done so shitty that only linus could have done it. It made for an amusing 2-3 minutes of browsing on youtube and that's all. I'd much rather that time be spent on a review I can sink a half hour or more into going through and then I'll be refrencing back to it for weeks or months to myself and friends about that hardware, something I can actually use when planning a build.

Guess how many people or how man times I've returned to that stupid linus video? never

2. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ardOCP Motherboard Editor

As Kyle mentioned, resources aren't a simple matter of money. It takes a considerable amount of time to do one of these reviews. Some editorials, such as this one are quite time consuming either.

3. Mereo

Mereo n00bie

HardOCP is a well established hardware site who focuses on real case scenarios. On the other hand, Linus is a YouTuber who seeks views and subscribers by being overboard for entertainment value.

Not the same market.

Montu, lollerwaffle and trick_m0nkey like this.
  4. Vaulter98c

Vaulter98c [H]ard|DCer of the Month - October 2009

And he's an idiot and puts out a lot of wrong or crap info to the masses, don't forget that

5. jmilcher

jmilcher 2[H]4U

Which is exactly why I gasp ever time someone mentions a YouTuber as a reference for some pc info. Maybe I'm old school, but I'll stick to the forums for my pc info.

6. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

7. commissioneranthony

commissioneranthony Gawd

That Pentium Pro size comparison: Priceless. Thanks for this. Great article.

8. Xyvotha

Xyvotha Limp Gawd

Excellent article! You've objectively addressed all the relevant points, including available storage options, platform cost and the nonsense of i7 7740X. Heck, didn't even know about an upcoming dual core!
    2017 is a great year for enthusiasts indeed, I just hope the GPU market does the same (next year maybe?)

Cheers.

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  9. PhoenixWings

PhoenixWings Limp Gawd

Kyle_Bennett - Thank you for the great review.

Because you have so much experience with hardware, I have a few questions for you because I would like to know if I I should go ahead and upgrade, or stick with what I currently have. I currently have 3 workstations that I use together with my brother to do video editing, coding, and some other VM related projects. Two of them run 6900K CPUs, and one runs a 6950X CPU. All of them are cooled by Corsair H115i AIOs, and none of them are overclocked. I run ASUS X99 WS-E/10G motherboards on all of them (dual 10Gbit LAN - also have a UBNT switch with 10Gbit ports).

I also ran RAID cards for SSD RAID arrays on two of the machines, and a HDD RAID 50 array with SSD caching on the 6950X. Small detail: all machines run dual GPUs.

So far I have not seen any decent motherboards for the X299 platform that come even close to the ASUS X99 WS-E/10G, so I find it hard to go the Intel route, unless you can make that recommendation.

If I was to convert all my systems to Threadripper 1950X, which motherboard would you recommend: the ASUS ROG ZENITH EXTREME (X399) or the GIGABYTE X399 AORUS Gaming 7? I have found that both of these motherboards will do what I need, except that if I go the GIGABYTE route, I will also need to purchase 10Gbit LAN adapters, so I wouldn't really save any money. It all boils down to which motherboard is better quality and offers better stability? Are these products mature enough for workstation use or should I just stick with what I have?

I am asking because the 6900K and 6950X CPUs still have good resale value, but that will change for sure in the future.

Thank you.

10. Kyle_Bennett

If you are not going to overclock those 1950X processors, I am not so sure that you are truly going to see any big perf differences. At full load those 1950X run about 3.3/3.4GHz across all cores.

That Zenith board has been great, but if you are looking to surely use the 10Gbit, I would wait to see that working 100% out in the wild. They said it is fixed, but we have not tested it.

PhoenixWings likes this.
  11. PhoenixWings

PhoenixWings Limp Gawd

Kyle_Bennett - Thank you for your reply. I have looked at the ASUS Zenith X399 motherboard. I also meant to ask you about the GIGABYTE AORUS X399 Gaming 7. What do you think about it?

12. Kyle_Bennett

They both did great jobs for us.

13. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ardOCP Motherboard Editor

Both motherboards are about as solid as you'll find for socket TR4 right now. I prefer the Zenith Extreme for a few reasons, but the price difference is not inconsequential. Either would serve you just as well. You do get the 10GbE card with the Zenith Extreme, but I don't think there is anything special about it. I'd be just as happy with an Intel 10GbE controller on another motherboard.

14. PhoenixWings

PhoenixWings Limp Gawd

Kyle_Bennett and Dan_D

Once again, thank you for all the information. I decided to pull the trigger and go with the 1950X and ASUS X399 Zenith Extreme motherboard. Thank you for the installation video. I meant to ask if I should turn each screw a quarter turn like in the video, or can I go a quarter turn at a time over each one until I get close to torquing them and then torq them down. These workstations won't be upgraded for a long time, that's for sure :)

And my other question is in regards to cooling: should I go with the Noctua NH-U12S TR4-SP3 (yes, that's the one with 120mm fan) because of the nice contact surface, or the Corsair H115i? The Corsair H115i, like most Asetek gen 4 and 5 AIO liquid cooling systems has a round cold plate and doesn't make good contact. Overclocking is tempting, but not a must.

Thank you for your advice and hard work.

15. Hakaba

Hakaba [H]Lite

Has any of the recent BIOS/AGESA updates made it possible to pass hardware through to a vm?

Edited, still 70% asleep.

16. NamelessPFG

NamelessPFG Limp Gawd

This is the sort of content I live for. Excellent work, and I dig the Pentium Pro size nod.

It's especially relevant in that I'm looking toward HEDT for my next build in the coming years. 16 PCIe lanes on CPU + 4 on chipset is not enough when you pile on the expansion cards.

Here's hoping Intel gets their act together by the time I move on from Haswell, otherwise I may very well go AMD for the first time in over a decade. I want single-threaded performance, but I want an expandable platform with no strings attached, too.

17. QuiteSufficient

QuiteSufficient Sufficiently [H]ard

This is a great article guys. Threadripper just seems like a much more exciting product to me than x299...hard to sum up exactly why but Dan did a good job.

Threadripper reminds me of X58 more than any platform since X58....weird incompatibilities, growing pains, detail overclocking, much more headroom with real water cooling.

Tags: