AMD vs. Intel HEDT Platform Showdown Editorial

You might note that I suggested AMD fund it. :)

But we're talking about five PCIe cards here, not two. And where's your sense of fun?

As Kyle mentioned, resources aren't a simple matter of money. It takes a considerable amount of time to do one of these reviews. Some editorials, such as this one are quite time consuming either.

And he's an idiot and puts out a lot of wrong or crap info to the masses, don't forget that

And he's an idiot and puts out a lot of wrong or crap info to the masses, don't forget that
Which is exactly why I gasp ever time someone mentions a YouTuber as a reference for some pc info. Maybe I'm old school, but I'll stick to the forums for my pc info.

Excellent article! You've objectively addressed all the relevant points, including available storage options, platform cost and the nonsense of i7 7740X. Heck, didn't even know about an upcoming dual core!
2017 is a great year for enthusiasts indeed, I just hope the GPU market does the same (next year maybe?)

Cheers.

If I was to convert all my systems to Threadripper 1950X, which motherboard would you recommend: the ASUS ROG ZENITH EXTREME (X399) or the GIGABYTE X399 AORUS Gaming 7? I have found that both of these motherboards will do what I need, except that if I go the GIGABYTE route, I will also need to purchase 10Gbit LAN adapters, so I wouldn't really save any money. It all boils down to which motherboard is better quality and offers better stability? Are these products mature enough for workstation use or should I just stick with what I have?
If you are not going to overclock those 1950X processors, I am not so sure that you are truly going to see any big perf differences. At full load those 1950X run about 3.3/3.4GHz across all cores.

That Zenith board has been great, but if you are looking to surely use the 10Gbit, I would wait to see that working 100% out in the wild. They said it is fixed, but we have not tested it.

Reactions: STEM
like this
Has any of the recent BIOS/AGESA updates made it possible to pass hardware through to a vm?

Edited, still 70% asleep.

This is the sort of content I live for. Excellent work, and I dig the Pentium Pro size nod.

It's especially relevant in that I'm looking toward HEDT for my next build in the coming years. 16 PCIe lanes on CPU + 4 on chipset is not enough when you pile on the expansion cards.

Here's hoping Intel gets their act together by the time I move on from Haswell, otherwise I may very well go AMD for the first time in over a decade. I want single-threaded performance, but I want an expandable platform with no strings attached, too.

This is a great article guys. Threadripper just seems like a much more exciting product to me than x299...hard to sum up exactly why but Dan did a good job.

Threadripper reminds me of X58 more than any platform since X58....weird incompatibilities, growing pains, detail overclocking, much more headroom with real water cooling.

Well written article, and I really like the conclusion.

It generally shows there's not enough of a performance difference between chipsets to justify the ~$700 difference between platforms (comparing 16 core vs 16 core)

I appreciate this write up as I was recently looking at x299. I agree with some of the others though the similar naming is really confusing.

Nice articel. Maybe I will buy Threadripper 2. Really nice to have AMD back in High End.

Very intersting!! I'd love to have a threadripper but I just don't know if I'd use it enough to justify the cost though...

TR2 or TR+ whatever it will be called is definitely on the radar for me plus any updated chipset/motherboards supporting it later this year.

Back