Makaveli@BETA i know, that would be just horrific but just use a single small device for everything i think on the horizon for some people.
What i mean why can people suddenly be overcome with so massive boredom that they just have to whip out their phone or devise and game / watch a movie / series or do "texting" and post / like pictures of cupcakes.
You could maybe argue well some people whip out their device and create, so they are actually doing something useful, and that are probably also true depending on what you call creating, for me thats not a meme or a facetwitt post or a memo to your boss or other things along those lines.
Personally i really like when my brain get the chance to spin down and do nothing but simple processing of things that just happen to pass by my eyes or ears.

I ( and others i think ) have always said boredom are for people that are not smart, and i have since then added " whipping out a electronic devise and use it dont make it better"

If you're in the market for a Windows handheld, you need to check out the GPD Win/Win2.

Albeit less powerful than the Smach Z, it actually came out 2 years ago, doesn't have touchpad dealies, and is a clamshell design.

Makaveli@BETA i know, that would be just horrific but just use a single small device for everything i think on the horizon for some people.
What i mean why can people suddenly be overcome with so massive boredom that they just have to whip out their phone or devise and game / watch a movie / series or do "texting" and post / like pictures of cupcakes.
You could maybe argue well some people whip out their device and create, so they are actually doing something useful, and that are probably also true depending on what you call creating, for me thats not a meme or a facetwitt post or a memo to your boss or other things along those lines.
Personally i really like when my brain get the chance to spin down and do nothing but simple processing of things that just happen to pass by my eyes or ears.

I ( and others i think ) have always said boredom are for people that are not smart, and i have since then added " whipping out a electronic devise and use it dont make it better"

I understand what you are trying to say but you post is full of assumptions.

What other people decide to do with their boredom really is there choice its a free world. You sound alittle to judgemental about what people do in their free time like it has to meet your standards.

Then "Boredom are for peopel that aren't smart"

I'm pretty sure some of the most brilliant people on this planet that have come and gone had to deal with boredom in some point in their lives.

You should try being alittle more open minded and less judgemental.

Also, boredom isn't the only reason that someone would want to "whip out a mobile device".

Personally, sometimes I just want to play a game. If someone's using the TV, a portable device is kinda nice, because you can play a game in the same room as say, your family, significant other, etc. while they do something else. Sometimes I want to play a game in bed at night for a little bit before I fall asleep. Sometimes on a plane. Sometimes in a hotel room on a trip when I'm not doing anything trip-related.

It's not about a critical life and death need. It's about being able to do whatever I want if that's what I feel like doing. I don't watch a lot of TV. I'd much rather be doing something slightly more active while relaxing, so having the ability to play something I want to play in certain situations is handy. Sometimes I read a book, sometimes I write music, sometimes I design circuit boards. Sometimes I go outside and play with my kids. Sometimes I smoke a cigar and have a glass of scotch. Other times, it's games. That could be in front of the living room TV, that could be at my desk. That could be in bed, or anywhere someone might eat green eggs and ham.

Also, portable devices have always appealed to me, since I was a kid. (41 now) I always had a fascination with portable TVs, TV-watches, game-watches, handheld games. You should have seen my face the first time I saw the commercial for the Turbo-Express. Jaw hit the floor with a thud. Similar with the Lynx. I have owned every Nintendo portable. I love the look of the Open Pandora portables. Seeing this much power in a handheld device AND the ability to play full-on PC games gives me a similar feeling to seeing or owning all of those old devices. It's impressive. Also, as someone who plays a lot of classic games, this thing is more than powerful enough to play anything I'd want to without breaking a sweat.

Boredom doesn't mean you're not intelligent. In fact, some of the most intelligent people get bored. It's knowing how to fill that boredom with something better that's important. Whether that's playing games, creating something new, reading a book, listening to music, snorting a rail of peruvian flake off the banister (to quote Dennis Miller) or whatever your thing happens to be. It really doesn't matter if you're not hurting anyone else in the process as far as I'm concerned. It could be constructive, passive, or anything in between. I don't have to sit in a smoking jacket with a fez on reading a book under a fancy lamp in a Louis XIV chair to be intelligent, though that has a certain appeal in itself. ;)

Basically what steam machines should have been.

I wouldn't mind seeing this same tech in a small anodized aluminum case without the screen, with more solid state storage internally for this very thing. In fact, I've been waiting for Ryzen based APUs to get just a touch more powerful, and then I was going to build a few console-esque Steam boxes of my own just for fun.

Back