cageymaru

Fully [H]
The SMACH Z console has had a rough time being completed after its successful Kickstarter campaign finished in October 2016. The developers have had to contend with setbacks such as a breached manufacturing contract, but the company has rebounded to announce that they will be shipping units this year.

Now according to reports, AMD will be showcasing the handheld console at the Tokyo Game Show which runs from September 20 to 23 of this year. The SMACH Z units are being powered by AMD Ryzen Embedded V1605B SoC processors that feature Radeon Vega 8 graphics. This will give the unit around 5 hours of battery life, but it has fast charging (45 minutes) and external batteries can be used.

AMD RYZEN EMBEDDED V1000. You'll experience powerful and immersive gaming with the high performance with AMD Radeon Vega 8 Graphics and Ryzen Embedded V1000 Core processor 3.6 GHZ. 2.6 TFLOPS to play any current AAA PC game. More than 20,000 games out of the box, from Indies to AAA. Steam, GOG, Origin, Itchio, Battle.net, UPlay... SMACH Z is powerful enough to play any PC game: GTA 5, Doom, Just Cause 3, Battlefield 1, PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds, Crisis 3, Metro: Last Light, Project Cars, Deux Ex, Far Cry Primal, The Division, Civilization 5, Forza 7, Destiny 2, Arma 3, etc.

Looks cool to me. I play a lot of older games, indie games, emulators, etc. I think they'd all fly on that thing.

If any of you think you want this .... go borrow your friends Switch and then come back and tell me ... you could see what the hell was on that screen.

You literally have to have the eyes of a 15 year old to be able to use that small ass screen.

Mobile handhelds is a very niche market. As much as I'd like to see PC gaming on the go I am sure I'd never want to walk around carrying extra things like this.

I wish Valve would offer/implement Remote gaming on Steam Link. :(
Steam Link lets us stream over wifi our Steam & non steam games on our smartphones and works surprisingly well. We just cant do it over the internet. :(

If Steam can implement remote gaming feature with possibility of renting low latency servers for those with poor internet then there would be no need for a system like this.

If any of you think you want this .... go borrow your friends Switch and then come back and tell me ... you could see what the hell was on that screen.

You literally have to have the eyes of a 15 year old to be able to use that small ass screen.

What games are you playing? My 36 year old eyes can see and play on the switch fine I never had issues with any of the games i have played.

I streamed my Steam games to my cellphone and I couldn't see sh*t. :) I thought I was the only one that couldn't see a darn thing!

No problems with 41 year old eyes here with screens of pretty much any size.

Get your eyes checked is my suggestion. I use my Switch almost exclusively in handheld mode and have played everything from Splatoon and Zelda to Octopath Traveler. Currently I’m going through Hollow Knight.

Sure it the console doesn’t have all the bells and whistles but it’s typically not hard to make out what’s on the screen.

Haven’t tried Xenoblade yet, I remember Chronicles on the Wii U though....it had unplayably small text no matter what screen.

So if this can offer a similar experience but with a full PC library, sounds great to me. (Other than maybe price)

What games are you playing? My 36 year old eyes can see and play on the switch fine I never had issues with any of the games i have played.

Switch is 720p screen, with optimized content.

1080p PC games are optimized for larger displays, there will be some tiny-ass text.

1080p PC games are optimized for larger displays, there will be some tiny-ass text.

I'm guessing that for anyone that would be interested in this, it wouldn't be their only option for games. I'm sure there's some room for choosing games that work well on the format.

My take away from this is that AMD is willing to go after any market that has paying customers... Unlike Intel who only wants to go after the big markets... and then entirely misses the mobile market.

I'm guessing that for anyone that would be interested in this, it wouldn't be their only option for games. I'm sure there's some room for choosing games that work well on the format.

Aye, just wanted to put in perspective, even with perfect vision it might be difficult to see some games.

My take away from this is that AMD is willing to go after any market that has paying customers... Unlike Intel who only wants to go after the big markets... and then entirely misses the mobile market.
This is the entire Steam, UPLAY, Origin, etc market. If this device is really great then it could be the "Gameboy" for Steam.

This thing is in my market vision, Due to rural internet I need to download my steam games elsewhere and this can do that.

I can also install some decent fighting games maybe super hexagon

And with windows 10 I can encrypt the drive for safety....

Looks over at emulator sites and says nothing....

That Nordic looking chick is cute, wonder what she benches, AMD or Nvidia?

This should have also been posted.

Somes games will be played at 720p and some at 1080p depending on what kind of frame rate you want.

I watched some of the video and the league video had random mouse clicks on there.

So basically this will be slightly better than a Nintendo Switch, but cost WAAAAAAAY more.

I have a Ryzen laptop, 2700U, it Skyrims just fine.

The only older games that don't play well are games with bad AMD graphics optimization.

I see some potential here. Handhelds still have a market and its not just a niche if properly re-invented could go far. Mobile gaming still has a lot to be desired as well on either sides of the fence. I hope it work outs for them and it'd also be nice to see AMD gain a new foothold.

Yeah sure do love my 2500U, I think the success of this handheld comes down to its controls and ease of use

6" screen is too small for serious adult gamers. How big is the switch, 8"?

I have a PS Vita and it's super cool, the screen is about 5" same as my phone, and I have to put reading glasses on to see the thing.

edit - google says the switch screen is 6.2 inches. Wow, looks bigger than that in the pics. I want an 8" screen minimum, dammit.

Looks pretty good, not sure on that price though.
I'd be a lot more interesting (at least to me) if it had at a bigger screen (9-10") and was in a tablet format with a detachable keyboard.

This, a few years ago I played some older pc game on the nvidia shield tablet (while at work).
It was just fine. Off course I prefer to play on a pc and I eventually sold it and got a 13" win 10 tablet (i3 with intel gfx) instead which I mostly use to farm and do WQ in WoW nowadays.
Performance is not that great but I don't care much since i'm at work and I dont like to farm that much and wont do any when at home.

Last edited:
I personally think anyone that play or look for too long on a small screen every day are crazy,,,,, there i put it nice.
And yes i have a smartphone, i look at it for a average of 5 minutes MAX every day, and i get 4-5 days on a charge.

I pretty much think the small screens are addictive to people be the screen on a phone of a handheld gaming devise, the worst thing are many of those people have big ass screens at home, they just cant handle their addiction to small screens and wifi.

I personally think anyone that play or look for too long on a small screen every day are crazy,,,,, there i put it nice.
And yes i have a smartphone, i look at it for a average of 5 minutes MAX every day, and i get 4-5 days on a charge.

I pretty much think the small screens are addictive to people be the screen on a phone of a handheld gaming devise, the worst thing are many of those people have big ass screens at home, they just cant handle their addiction to small screens and wifi.

lol i'm thinking of getting this and I have a big screen tv at home and mulitple computers. A mobile device like this isn't meant to replace the other ones. I'm not gonna stop playing games on my desktop because of something like this. Stop thinking so linear.

It will give us more console style controler people to shoot online. Quick everyone go buy one. (Big Evil Grin)

Oh wow, so this sham scam is possibly coming out after how long since it was announced and numerous videos and articles being released about how they lied about the whole thing? Interesting.

Also, if the Steam Controller touchpad bullshits are staying I'm leaving. Have little ones in the corners for navigation or something but have goddamn fucking joysticks by default because, guess what, NO ONE WANTS THE PADS! They were a MAJOR fail on the Vive, the Steam Controller OBVIOUSLY didn't success or take off, so whhhhhhyyyyyyyyyy is something else being plagued by those piece of shit??!

Sorry...I just see the obvious dislike towards them and the constant push for them makes no sense.

Also, looks like the scam is continuing. Notice the chunky as fuck connections all spewing from the handheld? Yeah, that's all the power and HDMI connections running from a laptop/desktop TO the "Smash Z" since it's probably an empty shell with just a screen and controller. Why would you not have a HANDHELD running as a handheld unless it was BULLSHIT.

Last edited:

I must be getting old. I need reading glasses to play for any length of time on my switch, especially detail oriented games like Breath of the Wild.

Back