amd to launch Pinnacle 2018

Pity the post has got the name wrong, pinnacle is not going to be the brand name for the chips - not after all the money they have just sunk into the Ryzen brand

Hope Zen 2 has like 30% more ooomph per clock than current per single core.

Pity the post has got the name wrong, pinnacle is not going to be the brand name for the chips - not after all the money they have just sunk into the Ryzen brand

Those are internal codenames.

Hope Zen 2 has like 30% more ooomph per clock than current per single core.

Pinnacle Ridge uses the same Zen cores than current chips.

About Zen2 I expect a 7% IPC gain over Zen.

the writer was referring to the idiots at digitimes trying to call them pinnacle 7 when anyone with half a brain knows they'll be ryzen 3/5/7 2x00.

it'll be interesting to see what features are added with the 400 series motherboards and if they decide to go with a PCH that supports PCIe 3.0(like intel is using to expand their low cpu dedicated pcie 3.0 lanes) or stick with only PCIe 2.0 but doubt i'll buy one since i barely use the features on my 370 as it is.

the writer was referring to the idiots at digitimes trying to call them pinnacle 7 when anyone with half a brain knows they'll be ryzen 3/5/7 2x00.

Where has been it confirmed that Pinnacle Ridge chips will be 2x00?

Why not R7 1870X, R7 1750X, R7 1750,...?

no idea source or how legit it is. CPU-Z bench scores seem completely wrong compared to R15 score but R15 score is on par with my 7600k at 5 ghz.

qVj52-Bz7KOIngPkHkw6iPgClkPbWWz4HKbfbCi8rY4.jpg

Porting the chip to 12nm cannot magically increase the IPC by 48%. So it is fake.

Last edited:
yeah i pointed out to the person who linked it to me elsewhere that CB R15 can be cheated. seems pretty unrealistic to me that a simple node shrink would make up both the IPC and clock difference to match a 7600k

A node shrink doesn't change the IPC. Moreover, 12LP is not a node shrink, but a marketing shrink.

A node shrink doesn't change the IPC. Moreover, 12LP is not a node shrink, but a marketing shrink.
LP (Leading Performance), I would think we will be looking at higher power and somewhat faster chips here in clock speed. Mainly a clock speed bump with a little fine tuning at best. How fast can AMD push Ryzen on the clocks?
https://www.globalfoundries.com/new...-technology-for-high-performance-applications

Are we looking at 4ghz with max turbo speed of 4.3ghz? Max OC around 4.5ghz+?

I would like to see a more Intel like flexibility in adjusting individual cores max turbo speed where you can max out the faster cores at higher speeds.

Max OC of 4.5 GHz or so would be very helpful for Ryzen in present circumstances. AMD needs a good 10-15% performance boost with Pinnacle Ridge to keep competitive with Coffee Lake, and keep 8 core Ryzen 7s selling well. Since it's not likely to come from the IPC front (at least until 2019), they'll have to do it with clockspeed. Hopefully they can. 2017 was a great year for CPUs, hope 2018 continues the trend.

LP (Leading Performance), I would think we will be looking at higher power and somewhat faster chips here in clock speed. Mainly a clock speed bump with a little fine tuning at best. How fast can AMD push Ryzen on the clocks?
https://www.globalfoundries.com/new...-technology-for-high-performance-applications

I would like to see a more Intel like flexibility in adjusting individual cores max turbo speed where you can max out the faster cores at higher speeds.

isn't intel getting rid of that option though with their newer processors?

isn't intel getting rid of that option though with their newer processors?

they said they are just removing advertising anything beyond all core and single core turbo.

consumer (ring bus) cpus (coffee lake included) are an all or nothing affair if overclocked anyways outside of their stock turbo setup, HEDT cpus can per core overclock every core and even per voltage them.

Trinity --> Richland added 300MHz (base) 200 MHz (turbo) extra.

Glofo is not giving details abuot 12LP, so cannot estimate.

Original source:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1624603/rog-crosshair-vi-overclocking-thread/28230#post_26391661

I don't have an overclock.net so I really do not know who the heck Elmor is, but apparently he has enough influence for TPU and guru3d to source. He mentions the bios is completely restructured in order to make it easier for future CPUs and the uses both Raven Ridge and Pinnacle Ridge as examples. I can't imagine Raven Ridge would require that much of a bios upgrade on its own.

Back