AMD Threadripper is a 16-Core 32 Thread Monster [Rumor]

The motherboard manufacturers are going to have a heyday with this. Eagerly awaiting the X399 Coremageddon Assault Extreme for AMD Threadripper.

So how many payments is it to the Snap-On truck guy to get that beauty.
Exactly my thought.

Ohh, a thread ripper with a huge rubber handle.... big whoop-de-doo! Probably costs $40 or so.

A regular good quality thread/seam ripper is about $5.

The motherboard manufacturers are going to have a heyday with this. Eagerly awaiting the X399 Coremageddon Assault Extreme for AMD Threadripper.

I'm sure that'll be an Asus or MSI brand. :D

I'll hold out for the refined Threadripper Horsepumper variant.

ecchicorenya kawaiidesunethreadnekomimi

cNml5AK.gif

:p

I doubt that will happen. It assumes that IPC and / or frequency will increase significantly in 3 to 5 years. I expect to see AMD hitting the same wall Intel has been up against for years after Ryzen+ is released.

Maybe not- IIRC part of the stagnation with AMD was a lack of resource allocation towards the desktop side. With this recent (5 years) push for Zen, I think we might have more competition in the future depending on the profit yields from this venture. My only concern is that Jim Keller left after all the heavy lifting was all done for Zen. Not sure who is going to take up that torch and run with it for the next iteration.

Threadripper, AKA what happens after you eat Taco Bell.

Anyways, That's an insane CPU.

Exactly my thought.

Ohh, a thread ripper with a huge rubber handle.... big whoop-de-doo! Probably costs $40 or so.

A regular good quality thread/seam ripper is about $5.

I bought one for my mom a few years ago. I think it was 10. She likes the bigger handle.

If this is real, and if it's somehow clocked this high, I will be a bit disappointed AMD has kept the lid on for so long. Any 16 core part will likely be out of my price range though but...

tmp_16530-images-1202246000.jpg

I'm sorry, but I just don't buy this.

AMD just released Ryzen with the major achilles heel of running PCIe 2.0 (along with limited PCIe 3.0) on every single mobo from every single vendor. In other words, they were gimped because this CPU/chipset doesn't support anywhere near enough PCIe 3.0 lanes to be competitive with even two generations old Intel products. Now all of a sudden, they are going to be releasing mobos with support for 64 PCIe lanes in as short as 3 months later along with 16 core chips???

If they had anything close to this waiting in the wings, why would they release an entirely gimped major product line (which has the potential to make or break them as a company potentially)? Why not just hold off 3 months and release the real deal?

Either this is all BS and they don't have anywhere near this kind of tech even close to launch (most likely) OR they will release something with these specs, but it will be ungodly gimped in some other way.

Or you reasoning is entirely flawed and without merit. The Ryzen chips have 24 PCIe 3 lanes, Intels mainstream has 16 or fewer. Intels first level enthusiast has only 28 PCIe 3 lanes so you are wrong on this on this cannot compete with 2 generations old products. Also, why would they release their HEDT parts first since they will most certainly cost considerably more than the R7 parts? Finally, the fact that there is PCIe 2.0 stuff on the motherboards does not show anything negative but hey, it is not Intel, amirite?

Reactions: jkw
like this
Any updates from H on this? Lots of new rumors out there, we want the truth.

Looks like this summer.

Can I get an ITX board for an R9 1998x, please? ;)

Back