AMD Tech Tour Bundles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll wear what i normally wear, a pink shirt. I love my pink shirts. So I'll be at the Seattle tour dressed up a bit, not really, just a pink shirt and slacks I guess. I wish July 12 would come up sooner, so I can finish off my new computer, I just got my psu, ram, hdd, and dvd burner in today, go me!
 
Man, if i would've won that free 246,... i would've tried to auction it off in the lobby of that hotel, haha.
 
TheTMan said:
Man, if i would've won that free 246,... i would've tried to auction it off in the lobby of that hotel, haha.


BAH, that is a great idea. damn, i was in ecstasy taking the escalator down and couldnt think of anything else cept for the free proc. I definitely would have tried to sell there it if i was in the right mindset.
 
:( I didn't win anything at Burbank. A guy 2 seats over from me won a 246 and a guy in front of me won a ferrari t-shirt.

I did get the Venice 3200+, an Asus motherboard and WinXP x64 for $250 though. :D
 
pxc said:
:( I didn't win anything at Burbank. A guy 2 seats over from me won a 246 and a guy in front of me won a ferrari t-shirt.

I did get the Venice 3200+, an Asus motherboard and WinXP x64 for $250 though. :D


yeah that $250 is already a steal comapred to its retail price. I guess everyone that attended and bought something there "won" in a sense :)
 
Doh!!! I was looking for a hotel or something and it's the HQ. Very cool!
I'll be there! How many from the horde are going? I'll probably be the only Black guy there (in case I'm not I'm in khakis and white checkered shirt)

If you see me give me a shout!

Mike
 
Larz said:
I'll wear what i normally wear, a pink shirt. I love my pink shirts. So I'll be at the Seattle tour dressed up a bit, not really, just a pink shirt and slacks I guess. I wish July 12 would come up sooner, so I can finish off my new computer, I just got my psu, ram, hdd, and dvd burner in today, go me!

It really takes a certain kind of man to where a pink shirt.
 
BigMikeRich said:
Doh!!! I was looking for a hotel or something and it's the HQ. Very cool!
I'll be there! How many from the horde are going? I'll probably be the only Black guy there (in case I'm not I'm in khakis and white checkered shirt)

If you see me give me a shout!

Mike

Yup, 1 AMD Place, just off of Lawrenece Expressway; very easy to find. I haven't been there in a while, but I've spent quite a bit of time in their fab installing our wafer inspection equipment.

I'm on my way down there now, running a little late, but no big deal... chances are I'll still be there by 3-3:30. I was going to dress up, but since I'm driving ~170 miles I'm going for comfortable. Drivng the M3 (DIRTY!), wearing blue jeans (light), Tommy Bahama t-shirt (grey) and white running shoes... so if you see a 6'6" guy wearing the above with brown hair and glasses, feel free to come up and say hi. :) Oh, my name is Jason, makes it easier. :p

Regards,
fastgeek
(Who's 7800GTX arrived yesterday and is dying to get the new system up and running!)
 
Are you questioning my manhood? You bastard -_- Pink is just a cool color to me, I love it!
 
Larz said:
Are you questioning my manhood? You bastard -_- Pink is just a cool color to me, I love it!

I like pink too. Just not in my clothing.
 
Well I made it there and stayed for the whole show. Learned a few things, got my desktop bundle, but wasn't one of the lucky people that won free stuff; of which there was quite a bit. Not sure how much swag was given away at the end of the other shows, but they gave away four Opterons, a pile of mainboards, a bunch of shirts (mainly Ferrari), bunch of MS stuff and so forth. Food wasn't all that great, but for free who cares?

Now a note for those of you that just want to get the bundle. AMD is wise to you. Whoever's name is on the credit card MUST BE THERE to pick up the bundle, along with another form of ID. If that's not the case, then don't count on getting the goods.

BTW, someone wanted to know what was up with the "Tire Race" with the used racing slicks. It's to demonstrate a point. Here's a tip, by ALL MEANS TRY TO DO THIS, just don't try to win on the first round. Make a good show of it, but let the other person win. Trust me on this one.

And finally I didn't see Mike there, although I did look. For the record, he most certainly wasn't the only black guy there. ;)

Regards,
fastgeek
 
Hows does the A64 3200+ perform in regards to the P4 HT? Comparable to: P4 2.8ghz? 3ghz? 3.2ghz?
 
fastgeek said:
Well I made it there and stayed for the whole show. Learned a few things, got my desktop bundle, but wasn't one of the lucky people that won free stuff; of which there was quite a bit. Not sure how much swag was given away at the end of the other shows, but they gave away four Opterons, a pile of mainboards, a bunch of shirts (mainly Ferrari), bunch of MS stuff and so forth. Food wasn't all that great, but for free who cares?

Now a note for those of you that just want to get the bundle. AMD is wise to you. Whoever's name is on the credit card MUST BE THERE to pick up the bundle, along with another form of ID. If that's not the case, then don't count on getting the goods.

BTW, someone wanted to know what was up with the "Tire Race" with the used racing slicks. It's to demonstrate a point. Here's a tip, by ALL MEANS TRY TO DO THIS, just don't try to win on the first round. Make a good show of it, but let the other person win. Trust me on this one.

And finally I didn't see Mike there, although I did look. For the record, he most certainly wasn't the only black guy there. ;)

Regards,
fastgeek

It was the same In Dallas. The food was pretty good though where I was at. The mini cacedeas kicked ass. I ate like 12 of them.
 
I was there and sat in the back (in the noisy corner by ATI) I think you were in the front 3 rows?

I had to roll out early and pick up the wife in SF, so I missed the free goodies at the end.
Bundle was cool and food was OK.
 
Another reminder, this thread is about the [H]otdeal on the Tech Tour bundle, not an AOL chatroom on what you had to eat or what you wore to the event....coming very close to closure unless several U turns are made quickly.
 
maybe we should start a theard in gen. may about the discussion portion of the tech. tour?
 
Holiday weekend brings good-news/bad-news for me...the Server Bundle I picked up from the Irvine show included a PCIe/PCI-X S2892 (K8SE), which is far more flexible than the S2882. The bad news(confusion) is concerning the page in the manual about "EPS12V power suppy required"? :confused:

Over time I've pieced together a rack chassis, power supply, etc., but the power supplies that I do have appear to be ATX 2.0 or ATX12V compliant. Both have 24pin systemboard power and the 8pin 12v power connectors. One of them has the older 4pin connector as well. I'm afraid to put all of this together now, as the manual demands a EPS12V supply.

Going over the specs from the SSI web site a few days ago, reads as if it doesn't allow for redundant supplies, which is all I have. So what gives?

Has anyone tried a non-EPS12v supply with this bundle? Specifically one with the required 24pin/8pin combo. Any reduntants?

I've got a 4 day weekend here and I'm dying that I cant be sure about these supplies. :( This is really confusing...please help.
 
Do not use a PCI-Express 24 pin PSU on that motherboard. They are somewhat different. Enermax's 4 in 1 series PSU's are actually native EPS 12v and you actually convert them with adapters to run on normal boards.

The one you said you had that has the 8 pin connector should be EPS12v. I'd try that one.
 
Anybody know a good PSU with EPS12V for the server bundle that also has some sort of cable management like the Antec NeoPower PSU's.
 
Sir-Fragalot said:
Do not use a PCI-Express 24 pin PSU on that motherboard. They are somewhat different. Enermax's 4 in 1 series PSU's are actually native EPS 12v and you actually convert them with adapters to run on normal boards.

The one you said you had that has the 8 pin connector should be EPS12v. I'd try that one.

They both have a 24pin and 8 pin combo, but one of them also has the 4pin power as well. Here's some specifics.

The chassis is a Ci Design SR-524 "Storage Rack" with a Etasis EFRP-4303 supply. Even though this has the 24pin main board connector, and 8pin 12v connectory, it's specifications clearly state ATX12V.

Power supply#2 is a Emacs R2W-6460P, but is only a 2U configuration. The manual from Zippy states that this IS a EPS12V compliant supply, but I'm not sure if it will drive the CI Design chassis.

Nice delema, eh?!

The real B*tch about the whole thing was with the original "Server Bundle", I would have just connected to it via Remote Desktop and use it strictly as a server. Now that I suddenly have PCIe, I'm considering tossing the server config out the window and get a good workstation chassis (ie. Lian Li) and a standard (haha) EPS12V supply, and keep it as a workstation/server combo. Cost is always a factor...

So will a EPS12V compliant system board work with an ATX12V supply? The Tyan manual states NOT to use a "ATX 2.x or ATXGES" power supply, so it doesn't mention ATX12V. What are the differences between ATX12V and EPS12V?

Thanks for the Re:
 
if i had the cash, i would get a custom made PC & P from the manufacturer, with custom length cables and stuff. it only adds on about 30 bucks or so to the total cost of the PSU. heck, maybe in my next rig, ill get one. i cant wait to get my regular bundle thou. i need that mobo bad.

sgt.baker said:
Wow, you can really do up a power supply to almost match the cost of the motherboard alone (~$400). $189 for the supply and $200 in colored cables, extra connectors, etc.!

Nice service though, none the less...
 
sgt.baker said:
So will a EPS12V compliant system board work with an ATX12V supply? The Tyan manual states NOT to use a "ATX 2.x or ATXGES" power supply, so it doesn't mention ATX12V. What are the differences between ATX12V and EPS12V?

Thanks for the Re:

Some do and some don't. Tyan has always been really particular about PSU's. The manuals on both of my boards suggest not plugging in ATX PSU's. I'd get a seperate EPS12v PSU to be safe. Tyan boards are expensive.
 
Sir-Fragalot said:
Some do and some don't. Tyan has always been really particular about PSU's. The manuals on both of my boards suggest not plugging in ATX PSU's. I'd get a seperate EPS12v PSU to be safe. Tyan boards are expensive.

But doesn't make you want to say "Why?".

You'd think with a statement from Tyan about "you MUST use an EPS12V power supply.." that there are strict diffences, perhaps in pin-outs between the two.

BUT, in the example of the Zippy/Emacs model above it states "Connetor Types: ATX 2.03,ATX12V(P4),EPS12V,WTX,AMD-GES. Wow! Theres EPS12V in between ATX 2.03, ATX12V, WTX(?) and AMD-GES!

This makes me believe that the 24pin main power is common across all of these specifications. It's funny that I look at the 8-pin/12volt connecter, and see it's labeled "EPS". The 24 pin is labeled SSI!

Is that all EPS12V is? That 8-pin power connector? IF SO, then what are the differences between ATX12V and EPS12V? Is ATX12V the EPS12V specification with redundant power thrown in....

Much more searching to do before I start plugging things in :p
 
sgt.baker said:
But doesn't make you want to say "Why?".

You'd think with a statement from Tyan about "you MUST use an EPS12V power supply.." that there are strict diffences, perhaps in pin-outs between the two.

BUT, in the example of the Zippy/Emacs model above it states "Connetor Types: ATX 2.03,ATX12V(P4),EPS12V,WTX,AMD-GES. Wow! Theres EPS12V in between ATX 2.03, ATX12V, WTX(?) and AMD-GES!

This makes me believe that the 24pin main power is common across all of these specifications. It's funny that I look at the 8-pin/12volt connecter, and see it's labeled "EPS". The 24 pin is labeled SSI!

Is that all EPS12V is? That 8-pin power connector? IF SO, then what are the differences between ATX12V and EPS12V? Is ATX12V the EPS12V specification with redundant power thrown in....

Much more searching to do before I start plugging things in :p

Honestly I don't know what the differences in specifications is. All I know is the Enermax 4 in 1 solution is a native EPS12v unit adapted to everything else by the looks of it. It may be true that the 8 pin power connector is the real difference. Don't know for sure.
 
fastgeek said:
Well I made it there and stayed for the whole show. Learned a few things, got my desktop bundle, but wasn't one of the lucky people that won free stuff; of which there was quite a bit. Not sure how much swag was given away at the end of the other shows, but they gave away four Opterons, a pile of mainboards, a bunch of shirts (mainly Ferrari), bunch of MS stuff and so forth. Food wasn't all that great, but for free who cares?

Now a note for those of you that just want to get the bundle. AMD is wise to you. Whoever's name is on the credit card MUST BE THERE to pick up the bundle, along with another form of ID. If that's not the case, then don't count on getting the goods.
It was a pretty good event. The food was pretty crappy but at least we got to enjoy it outside.. :) Although I obviously wanted to win one of the Opterons, I guess I will settle with the mobo that I got.
 
I oredered the Antec 550 EPS12V TP 2.0 model, from a recommendation of a Tyan tech support person, who was more than helpful. Picked it up from the egg for $99. He recommended it for its 2x12V rails.

Linky

Keith H.
 
dropper said:
I oredered the Antec 550 EPS12V TP 2.0 model, from a recommendation of a Tyan tech support person, who was more than helpful. Picked it up from the egg for $99. He recommended it for its 2x12V rails.

Linky

Keith H.


Awesome thanx. I couldn't find this one because Newegg didn't put it as EPS12V under specs.
 
SignalSoldier said:
Many thanks to the original poster!!!

You're welcome. I know from experience the military doesn't pay a lot. Glad you got a deal. Happy 4th !! :)
 
Anyone try to swap motherboards from the server bundle? I tried and had no luck...

btw my server bundle is up for sale without the os
 
I was planning on installing the K8SE into an Antec Sonata case with four IDE HDs and a 3Ware RAID5 card.

Will the 380W power supply work with this MB and be able to handle the power draw?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top