AMD Tech Tour Bundles

Status
Not open for further replies.
zerogt86 said:
what sort of case would the server board fit in, and also, does anybody have a link to any gaming performance with the opteron 246?

Extended ATX.

It should fit in your standard Antex SX1000 series.

a 2.0ghz 1mb L2 cache should be comparable to a 3500+.

A 1mb L2 cached 2.2ghz comes out to a 3700+...

spectrumbx said:
Oh well, it still won't let me order. :(

I guess it wasn't meant for me to buy something I don't need. :rolleyes:

I am in.... :)
The order was failing because I was adding my apartment number to address 1.
Putting it in address 2 made it go through.

The stupid error was saying the credit card number was missing. :mad:

Hmmmm, i'm about to preorder the server bundle....I just need to sell my P4 550 system I just built haha

I only want x64, the rest is going on ebay. Burbank, here I come! :p

Curse this! I was intending to build a duallie for future work and research stuff, and this has only served as a catalyst to me spending money!

I'll preorder the dual opterons, my friend wants me to preorder the Athlon64 for him since he won't be able to make it.

I'll probably sell Server 2003 and probably the mobo, just going to run 64-bit Linux on the machine and get something that has an AGP or PCI-Express graphics slot.

If anyone is going and can pick me up either combo, please PM me and I will toss some extra cash your way for shipping and your time spent. I can't believe there aren't any stops in Arizona, not even Phoenix.

Thanks!

Hey all, I've been reading here for a while and got some awesome deals from this forum, and I finally decided to register and post!

I'm most likely going to the stop in NJ and I'm really interested in the server bundle. I pretty sure the motherboard wouldn't fit in the case I have now (Coolermaster Wavemaster http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811119031 ), but what about the one mentioned in this thread: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=906348
The description mentions a Xeon-ATX board would fit. Is that the same size as this board? I think I'd shoot for that case if it would work. Thanks
- Dan

spectrumbx said:
I guess it wasn't meant for me to buy something I don't need. :rolleyes:

That didn't stop me. ;)

These [H]ot Deals are killing me - LOL.

I'm going to be heading up from Austin to the Dallas stop, anyone else going that way?

I'll be going to both the Irvine and Burbank events... if someone wants either the desktop set or the server set PM me and we can work somthing out.

RexPokinghorn said:
I'll be going to both the Irvine and Burbank events... if someone wants either the desktop set or the server set PM me and we can work somthing out.
PM Sent :D :D :D

I'm going to the New Jersey east brunswick with cousins, and not all of them are ordering a bundle, so if anyone wants to work something out contact me, i can only help about 4 people out.

man, if anyone goes to any show, and doesnt want either! setup.... let me know, i would love the server, but ill take anything,, id pay the shipping and a little extra also.... man..... sucks its a 4 hour drive to tampa,, i cant take the day off..

pm sent lemmy

RexPokinghorn said:

lemmy said:
I'm going to the New Jersey east brunswick with cousins, and not all of them are ordering a bundle, so if anyone wants to work something out contact me, i can only help about 4 people out.

PMs sent.

FYI: Tyan's K8WE is now available at newegg for $445 roughly for those of you like myself who plan on using the Opterons for a workstation instead of a server.

NecessaryEvil said:
FYI: Tyan's K8WE is now available at newegg for $445 roughly for those of you like myself who plan on using the Opterons for a workstation instead of a server.

Thanks for the heads up. Thats what I want to do.

I am also interested in a Server bundle and can't make the 1000 mile trip.

Please shoot me a PM if you can help.

This machine would fold for the [H]orde.
-C

NecessaryEvil said:

Thanks as well. Didn't want to have a PCI-X only board. :)

Just got in for Sunnyvale, picked up a desktop combo. If I save up in time maybe I'll get the server and sell off extra stuff. :D

For those going to the Chicago show tomorow night, remember to let us know what core the 3200's are and what kind of stuff their giving away!! Kinda sucks my stop is the last one but that just means I'll have the money to finish the new system right away at that point :D

the@ntipop said:
For those going to the Chicago show tomorow night, remember to let us know what core the 3200's are and what kind of stuff their giving away!! Kinda sucks my stop is the last one but that just means I'll have the money to finish the new system right away at that point :D
Your lucky, I had 3 days to come up with 500 bucks, lol. It seems that everyone here is going to Chicago though, never knew how many people where here with me

I'll be there in a grey shirt with orange text saying "LANExtreme NecessaryEvil" on the front, and "STAFF" on the back. There'll be 2 or 3 more guys coming up with me.

I probably won't get back to Decatur until like 2am...but I'll post my goods.

What did you guys use for your company? Do you have to have a company or work for a computer company?

I use the same company name I give to everything that requires a company name, MSG Software, which is my one man software development group. But no, I don't really work for a company in a suitable role. ;)

LANExtreme is actually a lan party group that I'm an admin / Tech support lead for.

it's NFP...last time I went I just went as a self-employed system builder.

Just have a couple of questions about the bundles. With the Server bundle you get Microsoft Server 2003 x64 Edition and I was wondering, does it also give you like 5 clients?

Also with the desktop bundle do think it is retail or OEM? Just wondering about cooling and if I need to figure adding fans or it it comes with HSF's.

Well tomorrow is the show in Chicago so I am hoping that someone will let us know just what is all there and what else is going to happen.

Thanks

im gonna go for the 3200+. rest is going onto ebay i guess but if anyone's interested in the motherboard or the os, let me know and we can work something out.

oh, and anyone know if they gonna let a 17yr old kid in? i was gonna just drive their myself and maybe with a few friends that pre-ordered already and i dont wanna drag my dad along with me.

JohnleMVP said:
Do you need a special powersupply to run the dualies on the Tyan board?

Here's a pic, looks like you'll need a PS that has Xeon connectors.
http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/13-151-127-05.JPG

For anyone picking up the desktop bundle and getting it up and running let us know if you have any problems with the northbridge fan on the MB being loud and noisy. Reading the reviews over at newegg it seems to be a common problem that ASUS is aware of. Maybe these boards picked up for that bundle are updated and have a new batch of heatsink/fans. Just wondering.

By the way, the marketing firm running this thing says you can pre-order just prior to the seminar, or they will issue coupons for the bundles during and afterwards. So there's no need to subject your Mastercard to undue stress whilest you wait for your bundle.

See you all at E. Brunswick. :D

Waffles730 said:
Hey all, I've been reading here for a while and got some awesome deals from this forum, and I finally decided to register and post!

I'm most likely going to the stop in NJ and I'm really interested in the server bundle. I pretty sure the motherboard wouldn't fit in the case I have now (Coolermaster Wavemaster http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811119031 ), but what about the one mentioned in this thread: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=906348
The description mentions a Xeon-ATX board would fit. Is that the same size as this board? I think I'd shoot for that case if it would work. Thanks
- Dan
Any thoughts?

kunsunoke said:
By the way, the marketing firm running this thing says you can pre-order just prior to the seminar, or they will issue coupons for the bundles during and afterwards. So there's no need to subject your Mastercard to undue stress whilest you wait for your bundle.

See you all at E. Brunswick. :D[/QUO

hmm cant decide. I live 15minutes from the chicago event going on today.

Waffles730 said:
Any thoughts?

Won't fit.

you need something that supports EATX, if you plan on using the included motherboard.

Waffles730 said:
Any thoughts?

The board dimensions are: 13" x 12"

NewEgg has some server cases.. like:
Sky Hawk/Eagle Tech IPC4032-BK Black 4U Rackmount Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811117101

If you check out the pictures, the back view of that case has 7 slats, same as your CoolerMaster case. I doubt it would fit in your case normally, but with a little modification, you could probably get it to work. Get your tape measure out and let us know :)

What are the advantages of Microsoft Server 2003 x64 Edition over win xp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back