AMD stealing, err, copying, err, adopting "K" branding on new Llanos...

mzs_biteme

[H]ard|Gawd
I guess they think labeling unlocked Llanos with "K" designation will fool people into thinking: "Wow, it's just like Intel's naming so it's gotto be goooood"...:rolleyes:

What's your take? Good idea, or another AMD marketing dept brain-fart...?

AMD_new_llano_desktop_Small.png

Full > article <

LOL just when you think things couldn't have gotten worse...stooping to a new low. They've fallen so far from the good ol' Athlon days.

When you fire all your marketing guys you still gotta come up with names for your stuff, sometimes a toddler is the only one available to help you out.

They're just going back to their roots. When they made 386's 486's and 586's they named the CPUs DX-xxx or P-xxx to mimic Intel.

Who gives a shit? I guess I'm not that anal about it...makes it easier for amd and intel fan boys to pick the OC friendly cpu's...yay

Who gives a shit? I guess I'm not that anal about it...makes it easier for amd and intel fan boys to pick the OC friendly cpu's...yay

This. I'm in favor of some market continuity for a change.

I guess they think labeling unlocked Llanos with "K" designation will fool people into thinking: "Wow, it's just like Intel's naming so it's gotto be goooood"...:rolleyes:

What's your take? Good idea, or another AMD marketing dept brain-fart...?

http://semiaccurate.com/assets/uploads/2011/12/AMD_new_llano_desktop_Small.png

Full > article <

Nice job trying to stir up more AMD hate :rolleyes:

That thought never did once cross my mind. Frankly, adding a K to designate unlocked is easier to remember than adding a Black Edition after the name.

K = Black

So maybe K is a codename and they'll actually be A8-3870BE, even if they aren't welcome to at LEAST two months ago. They've built up a strong following with their BE lines amongst the oc'ing community, you'd think they'd stick to whats' already been established with some success.

Not really seeing the big deal either myself. But then Im not usually into drama that much.

This. I'm in favor of some market continuity for a change.

Yes, exactly. I didn't realize intel had copyrighted the letter 'k'.

Now, perhaps if AMD had tried to name their latest FX procesors "Core i7 8150" then I'd see a problem.

Another brilliant post by a brilliant [H] reader!

Intel obviously owns the copyright to the letter K in CPU models. I think NVIDIA and AMD are copying each other too!

The first number in each company's product line indicates the generation, while the second the performance number.

I think the question we should be asking is did AMD steal from NVIDIA or did NVIDIA steal from AMD? Clearly, someone here holds the trademark for these numbers and letters put in an order and whoever stole the idea of a model numbering system where the first number represents the generation and the second represents the market segment should be shamed and no one should ever buy their products again.

It's the only logical conclusion that [H] forum members can come to! This place is brimming full of intellect and deduction. I think OP has uncovered a huge conspiracy.

I mean, really. Intel 486? NVIDIA 480? Look at how similar those are! NVIDIA clearly stole the "48" model prefix from Intel. Has NVIDIA really sunk this low?

LOL NVIDIA IS GOING TO GO OUT OF BUSINESS!

But seriously, this forum is shit.

K = Black

So maybe K is a codename and they'll actually be A8-3870BE, even if they aren't welcome to at LEAST two months ago. They've built up a strong following with their BE lines amongst the oc'ing community, you'd think they'd stick to whats' already been established with some success.

K = "Special"

They stole the letter K?! I have a patent on letter O and I sue anybody using zeros 0 that look like my O .

It's less confusing to laymen if the same code is used to designate unlocked CPU's, as the company that has the majority of the market share.

I don't think it's a big deal. Anything that reduces market confusion is a positive in my book.

I'd rather they spend their time and money on actually developing technology to challenge Intel, than having overpaid marketing focus groups wasting time and money deliberating on what to call something.

They could call it the AMD Turd Edition, but if it benches even close to Intel they are going to sell like hotcakes.

Benches are all that matters. Names are just silly.

I see their logic, but i would of rather they continued using the black edition.

On a side note, I am VERY curious to see how well the unlocked parts will clock.

According to benches I've seen decode optimization and cache improvements have resulted in a ~6% IPC gain over Phenom II.

Die shrinks unencumbered by having to bus overclock (which FM1 sucks at) can really result in some nice new max clocks.

I doubt it will beat an overclocked core i5-2500K or anything, but if that sucker clocks high enough it may just be a viable AMD alternative, which we currently don't have.

According to my calculations, in order to catch up with a 2500K at stock clocks an A8-3870K would have to hit 5Ghz to keep up with a 2500K in single threaded mode hitting max turbo (or a 2500K overclocked to 3.7Ghz with turbo turned off).

Considering my stepsons unlocked Phenom II x2 555 -> 4 cores hits 4.2Ghz rock solid on air, it's not inconceivable that the 32nm die shrink version could hit 800Mhz higher.

Again, too early to tell, but I'd be very curious to see what it looks like.

It will still not be competitive with SB overclocks (it would have to hit over 6Ghz for that, and there is no way that will happen) but it could be a very nice AMD gaming rig, if its able to keep up with a stock 2500K.

Only problem I have with it is they're not truly unlocked. You can only up the processor by a multiplyer of 5 and the gpu a bit too. So its only a partial unlock.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5257/amd-intros-new-unlocked-kseries-llano-apus-a83870k-a83670k

Very disappointing.

No way it will be able to challenge a stock 2500k now.

I was hoping for an AMD product at least able to come close to competing, but apparently AMD themselves are opposed to that.

I wouldn't expect more than 4.2ghz out of it knowing this. It seems like such a waste of a die shrink and an opportunity.

My guess is they are too scared to have their low end APU part completely outboard their failed "high end" bulldozer?

Zarathustra[H];1038174669 said:
Very disappointing.

I was hoping for an AMD product at least able to come close to competing, but apparently AMD themselves are opposed to that.

I wouldn't expect more than 4.2ghz out of it knowing this. It seems like such a waste of a die shrink and an opportunity.

My guess is they are too scared to have their low end APU part completely outboard their failed "high end" bulldozer?
I think you're right. Those APUs could blow BD out of the water provided AMD lets them.

They're just going back to their roots. When they made 386's 486's and 586's they named the CPUs DX-xxx or P-xxx to mimic Intel.

I thought the DX and SX designation was completely legit (or standard, rather) to denote whether the processor has a math co-processor built into it or not?

I think you're right. Those APUs could blow BD out of the water provided AMD lets them.

I still wonder how high 32nm stars can go if uninhibited by multiplier locks.

Very disappointing.

Outboard. Lol. I love autocorrect. That was supposed to say outperform.

And I forgot to take into account that the multiplier gains scale with increased bus clocks above.

Taking that into account, the most we'll likely see out of these "unclocked" parts is 128x35 = 4.48~ 4.5Ghz.

Considering they have a ~6% IPC improvement over Phenom II, that should be like running a 4.75Ghz Phenom II.

Not bad, but still not able to compete with intel at all.

Very disappointing.

They would cannibilize sales of FX series if we could get 5 Ghz Llanos.

They would cannibilize sales of FX series if we could get 5 Ghz Llanos.

True, but once again they are showing that they don't know who their competition is.

Getting close to Intel in performance really should be the priority over propping up an under-performing internal design.

Zarathustra[H];1038175478 said:
True, but once again they are showing that they don't know who their competition is.

Getting close to Intel in performance really should be the priority over propping up an under-performing internal design.

True, but for the price-point of the A8 3870K, it's never meant to compete with the 2500k which you keep comparing it to. It's meant to compete with the lower i5s and i3s, which it will probably be successful at.

personally i'm in favor of them changing it to K, it makes it far less confusing especially for people that go from intel to AMD or AMD to intel.. most people miss the whole "Black edition" name as meaning its unlocked. if both companies use the same symbol/name for an unlocked processor its easier to deal with.

Zarathustra[H];1038174768 said:
I still wonder how high 32nm stars can go if uninhibited by multiplier locks.

Outboard. Lol. I love autocorrect. That was supposed to say outperform.

And I forgot to take into account that the multiplier gains scale with increased bus clocks above.

Taking that into account, the most we'll likely see out of these "unclocked" parts is 128x35 = 4.48~ 4.5Ghz.

Considering they have a ~6% IPC improvement over Phenom II, that should be like running a 4.75Ghz Phenom II.

Not bad, but still not able to compete with intel at all.

in the mainstream market performance isn't always king, price is and if AMD can price it to beat intel it will sell and go over better with OEM's being able to hike the price up closer to intel prices to make a larger profit even though it doesn't have the same performance as intel.

Zarathustra[H];1038175478 said:

I think you're missing the point of the Llano. It wasn't meant to be clocked super high or even as an enthusiast chip. It lacks L3 and has beefy graphics for an APU but isn't really a good gaming alternative at higher resolutions. It's a great laptop, HTPC and All-in-one PC chip, so expecting it to be a viable alternative to the 2500K is wishful thinking.

I know the feeling, though. I think we both want AMD to bring us something that'll at least be close enough to justify buying an AMD chip over Intel, but it's not looking good at this point and the Llano isn't the place to look be looking.

It would be interesting to see just how well the Stars cores handle clock speed at 32nm. I know the Bulldozer would have to reach 5.5ghz to match a 2500K at stock clocks. Trinity should be here before Ivy Bridge, or at least that's how they originally planned it. We'll see if the Piledriver cores will offer a decent IPC boost. Hopefully the AMD slides this time have lied in the wrong direction ;)

Nice job trying to stir up more AMD hate :rolleyes:

That thought never did once cross my mind. Frankly, adding a K to designate unlocked is easier to remember than adding a Black Edition after the name.

why not add a U then for Unlocked?

Back