AMD starts cheating on Call of Duty 7 Black Ops

Has anyone tested this with AI on and AI off or anything like that?

Turning AI off is supposed to disable any application specific optimizations.

I have CoD black ops and a 6870 ill check this out when I go home and post some screenies

both are at the same time, there is a video in the second link.

but like indokyne mentioned, it might be an issue with the 5 series driver. google translate is not really usefull :(

not is isn't, look at one where the copters are versus the other... they are not the same frame,.

if this thread turns into another AMD VS Nvidia flamewar, it will be locked immediately.

open discussion is encouraged, name calling and flaming are not

this is crap...

there are LESS helicopters in general in the AMD scene...

on top of that the AMD scene has a helicopter directly ABOVE where it is in the Nvidia scene..

OBVIOUSLY this is two different screenshots.

For people who stare at slides all day, some of us aren't very good at frame analysis.
You can clearly see the choppas are not in the same location, also there's a propeller (or piece of wing) debris flying through the air on the left side, it moves about 1-2 feet between pictures.

Assuming the debris is flying towards the car (away from the explosion), the 6870 frame shows the propeller farther away, which means it's farther ahead in time, which means the frame is after the explosion has died off.

Looks like a driver bug to me. I remember Borderlands had a few missing textures for awhile on ATI GPUs. Happens on both sides.

But this doesn't generate page hits, so it's better to just go into all-out accusatory mode and pretend ATI needs to cheat in DX9 games for... some reason?

yawn......insert amd cheat here thread........ oh well at least they provide for good entertainment and if it is a driver bug, it will be fixed.....

DX9 games u say... what other games are out there?

Not to mention COD BO is premium title, with all kinds of performance issues.

As far as AMD cheating... I dont think so.
This would be too low and obvious even by ATI "optimization" standards.

Besides, if it really turns out to be true, they are so going down.

Seriously, what is this supposed to show? You said there were no sparks or smoke effects! Why don't you address the videos I posted, or how about posting a video yourself?

Saying "Amd was cheater" isn't very convincing.

Last edited:
Exact same thread over at Guru3D: :eek:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=333485

Apparently there's a config file setting to enable or disable additional physics effects and is disabled by default on AMD/ATI hardware. The physics effects explicitly do not use the PhysX api at all and once enabled the effects work fine on ATI hardware. So you can imagine there's alot of hate directed at Treyarch right now...

Exact same thread over at Guru3D: :eek:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=333485

Apparently there's a config file setting to enable or disable additional physics effects and is disabled by default on AMD/ATI hardware. The physics effects explicitly do not use the PhysX api at all and once enabled the effects work fine on ATI hardware. So you can imagine there's alot of hate directed at Treyarch right now...

Wow. Who would have thunk that the TC would spam other sites. Pretty hilarious that the effects are disabled in the config file; yet folks appear ready to accuse AMD of "cheating" even if there is a logical explanation.

Regardless, here are some more vids with a excessive sparks and smoke effects:

This is a vid of a 4670:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-3uLNa3e7s

Here's a 6850. Please view from the 6:50 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDXqdQSGk5o

The last video shows how the effects vary.

5770 CFX in eyefinity:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtQkRtY7UYM

OP fail.

At best, its a driver bug, at worst its a config/game issue bug.

Last edited:
At best, its a driver bug, at worst its a config/game issue bug.

Why did you edit? You had it right the first time. We've completely disproved the accusation that there aren't any sparks or smoke effects.

Anyway, what's truly hilarious is that the TC's true intention has backfired. The bigger question is why were some of the effects disabled for the AMD/ATI cards? Hmmmm.......

This has less to do with amd cheating it has more to do with nvidia having its tiny weenie up every developers butt to strong arm them into making amd products look bad

to the OP dude get your facts straight...

This has less to do with amd cheating it has more to do with nvidia having its tiny weenie up every developers butt to strong arm them into making amd products look bad
Maybe time for ATI to grow a pair of balls.
Not sure how money is working out these days (Stocks and such), how is ATI holding up on the cash front?

In terms of market share, I'm sure they're fine, I don't see why a video game company would want to gimp their products for (let's say) 50% of the PC market.

Not sure how money is working out these days (Stocks and such), how is ATI holding up on the cash front?

In terms of market share, I'm sure they're fine, I don't see why a video game company would want to gimp their products for (let's say) 50% of the PC market.

You mean they should deliberately start cheating and coercing developers into favoring their products? :p

amd is doing fine this is more about a setting that the developer went out of its way to disable on amd cards. if you enable it in the config file of the game everything is fine so this is not an issue the OP is trolling this across 3 forums and getting Owned in every one

amd is doing fine this is more about a setting that the developer went out of its way to disable on amd cards.
Yeah, and the question is... Why?
Nvidia has all their "Best Experienced on Nvidia" marketing stuff you'll see at the start of some games.

Why doesn't ATI do this?
If you assume it's just a marketing thing, just a 'logo screen' in the game, then it's just an advertisement. But when you see real world problems like this happening, then it presents a problem.

I love my ATI cards, but I don't like seeing them get bullied around over pointless things. If it's all about money, then they need to start throwing around some cash.

I have several friends who exclusively only purchase Nvidia cards, solely due to the fact that they constantly see "Best Played on Nvidia" logos.

I love my ATI cards, but I don't like seeing them get bullied around over pointless things. If it's all about money, then they need to start throwing around some cash.

Not really.....AMD is plastered all over STEAM. IMHO, that was genius.

He's saying ATI users get a poor experience because devs like Treyarch choose to purposely disable advanced particle physics.

Someone needs to make a big stink, and demand to know why they did this. Of course they'll deny any wrong doing, and attribute it to a bug, so it'd probably be a waste of time.

Last edited:
The video is pretty damning about there being omissions from the scene, but I'm not convinced the omissions are significant enough to be called cheating.

There isn't a single thing damning in that video unless your nvidia or treyarc.

Wow so are they saying the developer left off certain effects for AMD to help NVidia pretend AMD was accually cheating when they werent?

So this is what Nvidia gives money to the developer for....make it look like AMD is cheating.

How low can you go Nvidia.....Really....

Graphics card makers and game developers have been working together for years. This should come as no surprise to anyone. Games have always had a bias in performance one way or the other. Certain games run better on NVidia hardware than AMD, and vice-versa.

i'd probably give them the benefit of the doubt that someone in treyarc forgot to set this back in the config file for amd cards.

Ha Ha nice try OP. EPIC FAIL! LOL, not sure what is going on here but that looks shady on nvidia/treyach but I'm not saying they definitely did this purposely. They should release a patch/statement or at least one of them should and also an apology to AMD.

Graphics card makers and game developers have been working together for years. This should come as no surprise to anyone. Games have always had a bias in performance one way or the other. Certain games run better on NVidia hardware than AMD, and vice-versa.

I have yet to hear of once instance where a developer purposely held back an Nvidia card in recent history.....

More nVidia fud? Hopefully this means the 6950 and 6970 are going to be awesome.

Focus group members and their PR are working overtime.

y is the thread still open anyway? I'm amazed it hasn't been locked yet...

lol i love how people this this is AMD/ATI cheating graphically. anyone of you bothered to think if there was that big of a differences visually(the op'ers screenshots) everyone would go out and buy a AMD/ATI card because it gives you a tactical advantage with less smoke and sparks vs some one with a nvidia based card.

y is the thread still open anyway? I'm amazed it hasn't been locked yet...
Well if anything, it's useful info for ATI owners.
I haven't had a chance to play blops yet, so I will have to implement this fix whenever I get around to it... Well, if I ever get around to it.

Back