AMD Sez

amd claims a lot of things. i want proof :p

Lets face it, even when AMD is telling the truth they still don't deliver. The driver issues with things like CrossfireX and driver reliability are often laughable at best. Maddeningly frustrating at worst. Anytime I've put more than one AMD card in my machine since the 4870X2 it makes me want to hang myself with a DVI cable after choking down one of the ridiculous dual-link DVI to mini-DP adapters.

Lets face it, even when AMD is telling the truth they still don't deliver. The driver issues with things like CrossfireX and driver reliability are often laughable at best. Maddeningly frustrating at worst. Anytime I've put more than one AMD card in my machine since the 4870X2 it makes me want to hang myself with a DVI cable after choking down one of the ridiculous dual-link DVI to mini-DP adapters.

if you're gonna do it don't mess around with overpriced low quality cables. use a Monoprice 24 ga. 15'er.

Anytime I've put more than one AMD card in my machine since the 4870X2 it makes me want to hang myself with a DVI cable after choking down one of the ridiculous dual-link DVI to mini-DP adapters.

LOL, that doesn't sound like a particularly nice experience, Dan! Never tried Crossfire, but it sure sound like you were caught in one. :p

If the new cards are faster/slower then a Titan, that doesn't matter much to me. As long as the performance is somewhere in the ballpark and offers a lower price, I think everyone will win.

It will be surprising, but that said, titan is a chopped gk110 with overclocking headroom. If they get matched this time they can launch the better chip, if they want. Quadro k6000 is shipping in 2 weeks according to newegg.

Well, you can see from the performance difference between the 780 and the Titan that the a fully enabled chip will be only a few % faster. It will also be a lot more expensive to make.

No, what i'm saying is when a review website, for instance, uses a highly overclocked card such as a 780 HOF as a basis of comparison. The 780 HOF is clocked 200mhz higher than reference, on average, and would muddy the comparison by a large amount. Unless they in turn overclocked the 9970 by a similar amount, but comparing a factory OC'ed 780 versus a stock 9970 would be just silly.

But I don't think this will be an issue. 99 out of 100 websites use stock reference for everything in launch reviews - this was true for the 680 and 7970.

Oh ok I see. Yes, a stock 780 should be compared to this, but a 780 HOF will be in the mix I bet.

Puts beacon on a graphic card.

I don't know if disappointing is the right word to use...
I'm thinking that a 5~10% better performance than the Titan, for 40% less money is still a WIN(!!!) for AMD... Especially with all the bundled games (BF4 part of the Never Settle bundle rumored).... It's all about perspective...;)

The BF4 bundle immediately knock up to $45 off the card for me, a game that I will buy anyway.
If faster, AMD will have my money for the first time in a while.

Yeah for competition! Of course, wish AMD could go toe-to-toe with Intel in the high-end CPU segment.

There is no way Kyle would throw out that statement unless he was very confident that the statement was true.

I am simply relating what a trusted source inside AMD communicated to me. This is of course exciting to hear, but as always, we will fully evaluate whatever new technology is at hand in the near future. :)

lol, ain't that the truth. single card, amd is great. more than 1 though = headaches galore.

I hope the rumored performances are fake. Only slightly faster than Titan on their best next-gen model is highly disappointing.

oh come on. When has nvidia released an upset card that costs 40% less and performs faster than AMD?

Never.

I don't know if disappointing is the right word to use...
I'm thinking that a 5~10% better performance than the Titan, for 40% less money is still a WIN(!!!) for AMD... Especially with all the bundled games (BF4 part of the Never Settle bundle rumored).... It's all about perspective...;)
You can't do much better on the same node a new design needs the node it was designed for or it will be a total gtx280.

Current AMD drivers are better than Nvidia's latest couple of drivers it went downhill big time after 314.
Before you hang yourself after using that 4870x2 again you might wanna check the beta drivers they might make it less of a pain. (not the hanging I meant the usage of the card)

The funny part is that you're complaining about AMD drivers, but you have a Nvidia card.

I switched Nvidia for AMD 1 year ago, and I can tell: CCC is A LOT better than Forceware. The cards get an amazingperformance increase, the profiles (CAP) works nice, and you have much more tweaks compared to Nvidia Panel. Every 2 months you get a WHQL, and in the meantime release a lot of beta versions with minor improvements.

Actually, AMD is one step ahead Nvidia in the drivers race.

The funny part is that you're complaining about AMD drivers, but you have a Nvidia card.

I switched Nvidia for AMD 1 year ago, and I can tell: CCC is A LOT better than Forceware. The cards get an amazingperformance increase, the profiles (CAP) works nice, and you have much more tweaks compared to Nvidia Panel. Every 2 months you get a WHQL, and in the meantime release a lot of beta versions with minor improvements.

I think he's probably seen his share of AMD cards, since he's a a reviewer/editor here. Why do people automatically assume the the current card people are using is the only card they have/have ever used?

Last edited:
Wowsa.......really eh? Of course AMD says it will. I want [H] reviews first.

Lets hope I didn't mistake selling my 780's then....hmm

I hope R2D2-9000Extreme does beat the Titan. If is can beat my 1300mhz 780, I'll sell it and grab one right away. Sticking single GPU for the time being and faster is always better.

The funny part is you signing up today to post this, not realizing you're talking to a reviewer.

Remember all the hype before Bulldozer? Pepperidge Farm remembers...

If they don't beat a fully unlocked and clocked Titan by at least 20%, it will be a major let down.

Until then, lets all enjoy some popcorn.

op8V7KE.gif

Last edited:
Remember all they hype before Bulldozer? Pepperidge Farm remembers...

If they don't beat a fully unlocked and clocked Titan by at least 20%, it will be a major let down.

Until then lets all enjoy some popcorn.

op8V7KE.gif

If it matches a titan for half the cost.....its a sell for me

I bet nvidia is mailing "factory overclocked" GTX 780s to all reviewers right now to muddy the waters...

I'd hope that HardOCP tests reference only as a fair basis of comparison - reference stock clocks versus reference stock clocks.

Time permitting, I plan to squeeze in both, time permitting. Stock vs. stock, and overclocked vs. overclocked, I understand the value of overclocking both, but understand there is also value in getting a baseline at stock card clocks. Overclocking both cards to max takes time, time is always my enemy in launch evaluations.

Also note, price is the benchmark, not clock speeds. If "A" card is factory oc'd, but matches the price exactly of "B" card that is not overclocked, it is a fair comparison still because the price is the same. We don't make clock speed, i.e. comparing factory OC card to factory OC card, as the benchmark for comparison, the prices could be way off, so again, it is all about the price matching up. If you can get a lot more performance out of Card "A" cause its factory OC'd, but costs the same as the card "B" then card "A" is a good value. It's all about the price. I try to make as many relevant comparisons as I can make per review, but time is always my enemy. Anything we don't have time for initially, can always be followed up on.

Last edited:
I hope R2D2-9000Extreme does beat the Titan. If is can beat my 1300mhz 780, I'll sell it and grab one right away. Sticking single GPU for the time being and faster is always better.

The funny part is you signing up today to post this, not realizing you're talking to a reviewer.
Still the AMD drivers are currently better than what Nvidia puts out.
as I just said up to 314 was great then 320 WHQL's crashed nearly everything then might have killed my 570 (I calculated the chance of the card dieing that week was less than 1.5% on average and more fermi cards died that time frame)
After that there were problems with various 1440P monitors.

My 7850 was working fine though and many seem to share that AMD is definitly going to/has surpassed Nvidia in drivers.
Nvidia can revert this process if they go to releasing drivers after enough testing (AMD first released drivers in fast pace and they were bad now they take their time and they're improving significantly)

Time permitting, I plan to squeeze in both, time permitting. Stock vs. stock, and overclocked vs. overclocked, I understand the value of overclocking both, but understand there is also value in getting a baseline at stock card clocks. As always, price comparison is the number 1 factor, if a card is factory oc'd, but matches the same price as another card, non factory oc'd, it is right and fair to compare. Price is the benchmark, not the clock difference. Time is always my enemy in launch evaluations.

can we expect a review on Sept. 25th?

Yea gotta to stock vs stock, then overclocked vs overclocked. Only fair and unbiased way to do it.

Personally if its at stock faster then titan is a win. I am curious about overclocking and power. Lets just hope they have a hardware based framepacing like Nvidia does...

/crossfingers

Still the AMD drivers are currently better than what Nvidia puts out.
as I just said up to 314 was great then 320 WHQL's crashed nearly everything then might have killed my 570 (I calculated the chance of the card dieing that week was less than 1.5% on average and more fermi cards died that time frame)
After that there were problems with various 1440P monitors.

My 7850 was working fine though and many seem to share that AMD is definitly going to/has surpassed Nvidia in drivers.
Nvidia can revert this process if they go to releasing drivers after enough testing (AMD first released drivers in fast pace and they were bad now they take their time and they're improving significantly)

I sold my 770's because the drivers were causing me all sorts of grief. Not having any problems with the single 780 right now but I also play mostly older games that are already "fixed" for many driver releases. I tried CF 7950's after the 770's but again, the 13.8b2 and 13.10 drivers were giving me problems in older games, I play lots of Skyrim and other DX9 titles and recently picked up Witcher 2 and was having stuttering problems so I ended up running only a single card most of the time. On the DX10/11 titles the AMD drivers worked great with frame pacing though, no complaints there. If they release full frame pacing drivers with the new series I will most likely get one right away and determine if I need a second after I play with it a little, either way if it is in the ballpark of a Titan and faster than my 780 I will get one no questions asked.

Yes, I registered only to post this. The forums around the web are infested of comments like "shitty AMD drivers", "Yeah, AMD drivers are crap" and this kind of thing. 1 year ago, i got my first Radeon and confirmed that the biggest part of people who say this kind of thing was biased to the limit and barely touched an AMD card in the last few months.

Yeah, I didn't know he was a reviewer, but this makes me even more skeptical to his opnion. A person who tests any card that is out there still says AMD drivers are a problem? Is that right?

The only thing I see in the last months is Nvidia drivers going down all over the hill, while CCC are getting better in each release.

Yes, I registered only to post this. The forums around the web are infested of comments like "shitty AMD drivers", "Yeah, AMD drivers are crap" and this kind of thing. 1 year ago, i got my first Radeon and confirmed that the biggest part of people who say this kind of thing was biased to the limit and barely touched an AMD card in the last few months.

Yeah, I didn't know he was a reviewer, but this makes me even more skeptical to his opnion. A person who tests any card that is out there still says AMD drivers are a problem? Is that right?

The only thing I see in the last months is Nvidia drivers going down all over the hill, while CCC are getting better in each release.

I've had more than 20 AMD cards in the last year alone, and have been using them since before the AGP days. Single, CF, Tri-fire, etc. I've had everything from the 7770 to the 7990. I didn't read his comment as bashing, more of a personal opinion that was negative based on experience. You might as well not feel bad about others opions because many people feel strongly one way or the other. The best you can do is enjoy what you have if it works for you and recommend the same to your friends and family when they need hardware. I recently built two identical machines for friends and did not hesitate to put a 7950 in each because of its performance under a budget. Gotta weed out the obvious trolling/fanboy/nonsense and focus on the legitimate opinions otherwise you will be annoyed all the time on these forums.

I hope its not a paper launch. I want to see how high these things over clock :)..

Since Brent has not received a card for testing yet, I am confident in saying that a paper launch is on the way.:mad:

Let's hope they get the cards out soon for testing.

Back