AMD Sez

It will be a paper launch. Nothing I saw or read, indicated that they would be available tomorrow.

So by your definition, no company can reveal or talk about their products without making them immediately available, otherwise it's a paper launch. :p

§kynet;1040222830 said:
So by your definition, no company can reveal or talk about their products without making them immediately available, otherwise it's a paper launch. :p

I am starting to hate companies that do this. The Surface Pro 2 launching a month after press release and without the major accessory upgrades is another example. I also hate phone companies that do this BS. The wait kills me I have been trying to get my hands on a Xperia Z Ultra C6806 and a Xperia Z1 for the last week.

Mmmmmm, news that the press tomorrow will also involve Star Citizens Chris Roberts, hmmmmm

§kynet;1040222803 said:
Expected by who? You? Where have you read that the card is launching tomorrow?

If they were confident in their product they would hard launch it.

Well it wouldn't be a new AMD product launch without PRIME1.

I never read anything about a product launch tomorrow, it's been clear that was in October.

Seems a lot of people are interested though!!!

Mmmmmm, news that the press tomorrow will also involve Star Citizens Chris Roberts, hmmmmm

That sounds sweet! :D

Eh? The release date has been known to be Mid October for some time now. The press event doesn't coincide with the release and AMD never stated as such.

Johan andersson already have 2 amd 290 cards in his machine.
oh works for dice.

If they were confident in their product they would hard launch it.
I see. If Nvidia was confident in Maxwell, they would have launched it already. After all it was announced Sept. 2010, which some would call a paper launch.

Not much confidence in this industry these days. ;)

if it's gaming performance that most people care about then it doesn't really matter if it matches Titan...all they really need to do is match or exceed a GTX 780...half the price of a Titan is misleading...if it's only $50 cheaper then a 780 then it's not as good of a deal

Last edited:
§kynet;1040222967 said:
I see. If Nvidia was confident in Maxwell, they would have launched it already. After all it was announced Sept. 2010, which some would call a paper launch.

Not comparable. The day nvidia announced the 780, it was available for purchase the same day (as an example).

Depends what you consider an "announcement". Companies announce things all the time, sometimes it's a press release proclaiming the availability of a certain product, sometimes it's about a product coming out in 3-4 years like Maxwell. Sometimes it's a webcast talking about soon to be released products.

If you want to cherry pick by all means enjoy yourself.

i would be pissed if i paid 1k for a titan and it's about to be smoked by a 600 card.

Not comparable. The day nvidia announced the 780, it was available for purchase the same day (as an example).

so what? hard launches are stupid.

the essence of a hard launch is delay the nda till the cards are out. thats it. a 2 year old could do it yet companies get lauded for it?

by contrast, a so called soft launch means the info and benchmarks are available to us earlier.

theres a fine line, you dont want to go to early or it gets annoying. 1-2 weeks is probably good.

so what? hard launches are stupid.

the essence of a hard launch is delay the nda till the cards are out. thats it. a 2 year old could do it yet companies get lauded for it?

by contrast, a so called soft launch means the info and benchmarks are available to us earlier.

theres a fine line, you dont want to go to early or it gets annoying. 1-2 weeks is probably good.

Stupidest thing I've ever read.

Who cares , really? The launch is in October according to various sources. If we get an earlier heads up with launch reviews prior to that, whatever. That's fine with me.

i would be pissed if i paid 1k for a titan and it's about to be smoked by a 600 card.

titan was released back in feb so if people are pissed by anything
it's on 780 gtx because that was only 3 month after titan

Stupidest thing I've ever read.

Think about it. the logic is sound.

If I have a card coming out say, Oct 15. I know it will be available then. It's very easy to delay the NDA to whatever date I want, say Oct 16, and create a so called "hard launch".

Lets say instead I lift the NDA Oct 1. I'll get crapped for a non hard launch. Yet really I just gave people two weeks heads up and a chance to look at benches etc. Instead of looking at reviews Oct 16, you get to look at the exact same reviews Oct 1. Either way, the product is coming on Oct 15.

Hard launch=artificial info delay, that's all.

Now, I dont advocate going too extreme here. It is annoying when reviews are up too far in advance of purchase-ability.

Hmmm, didn't we all just look at leaked benchies of this mystery AMD card? OH NO YOU JUST CREATED A PAPER LAUNCH FOR YOURSELF. See, that's dumb logic.

Blah blah blah. Paper or launch or hard launch. Who really gives a shit? New cards in mid-October. If they launch then, no fucks given here. I see this as a net benefit if more review sites can do detailed analysis on the hardware with several weeks of time to do so, whereas normal launches are more time sensitive with only a few days of analysis being possible. At least, that is my impression.

you must be new to computer tech? it's always been this way..shit goes obsolete fast and the next new shiny is always around the corner. And it's never cheap.
I paid 600 bucks for a Maxtox Millennium back in 1995. Talk about a ripoff :)

Last edited:
i mean info early is nice but its also a pain in the ass knowing your gonna have to wait if your itching to buy. its like one giant cock tease.

Think about it. the logic is sound.

If I have a card coming out say, Oct 15. I know it will be available then. It's very easy to delay the NDA to whatever date I want, say Oct 16, and create a so called "hard launch".

Lets say instead I lift the NDA Oct 1. I'll get crapped for a non hard launch. Yet really I just gave people two weeks heads up and a chance to look at benches etc. Instead of looking at reviews Oct 16, you get to look at the exact same reviews Oct 1. Either way, the product is coming on Oct 15.

Hard launch=artificial info delay, that's all.

Now, I dont advocate going too extreme here. It is annoying when reviews are up too far in advance of purchase-ability.

Hmmm, didn't we all just look at leaked benchies of this mystery AMD card? OH NO YOU JUST CREATED A PAPER LAUNCH FOR YOURSELF. See, that's dumb logic.

So you're saying that when a company successfully launches a product and actually delivers, that's a bad thing? because they could of gave you some benchmarks a few weeks before. So instead you believe a soft launch is just the company being nice and giving you a taste of what's to come? Except most of the time it has nothing to do with them being nice but more to do with the product not being ready.

Additionally the main reason a soft launch suck! is it gives retailers a chance to grasp demand and inflate prices. Next time there's a hard launch go to the Egg and take a look at the price, you'll notice it will be msrp, if the product is successful come back in a few days an you'll notice the price went up. Do the same on for a soft launch and you'll notice the price is already inflated.

I want to go to hardocp and some others read a review, think about it, go to the egg and two days later i'm golden but i guess you just rather wait.

I don't see what the bitching is about. We knew mid-october for a long time. If you don't like the hype don't read it. Many people would like to read the reviews to see if the want to pre-order or buy on release day. Personally I have been checking for details almost everyday even though I can't buy it tomorrow.

I hate to admit it.....I actually might preorder it i want it on credit I want it so bad lol....but hell im still sporting nvidia 280's

if it's gaming performance that most people care about then it doesn't really matter if it matches Titan...all they really need to do is match or exceed a GTX 780...half the price of a Titan is misleading...if it's only $50 cheaper then a 780 then it's not as good of a deal

Potentially faster than Titan and the 780... and cheaper than both? We may see it and it that would be a spankin for nVidia and their price fixing

Potentially faster than Titan and the 780... and cheaper than both? We may see it and it that would be a spankin for nVidia and their price fixing

Pre-oc'd GTX 780's go for $650-660 new and have even more headroom left in them, beating out stock Titans. This card is likely coming in at 599-649 by all current rumors. So we see a card that may stock match an off-the-shelf 780 by being a little faster than a stock Titan if we're lucky, yet lacks many features and has poor 2-card capability due to the continuing microstutter issues even post-framepacing-for-dx11-only-single-screen-only-2560-or-lower-only drivers that don't work on DX9/10 at all either. Not sure how that qualifies as a "spankin for Nvidia". The high prices stink for all of us as buyers, but I don't see this card as likely doing anything to drive a price war.

I hope so. For some reason nvidia always became the absolute performance option at the expensive of perceived value whenever I needed to upgrade, AMD whenever I needed to upgrade became the best value option. Value mattered to me the most as I was low on money and now that I have money to burn performance is what I want the most and it looks like AMD is going to deliver on both ends. I am glad I waited, it just seems like I am fated to buy AMD. I have nothing against buying nvidia and actually I have been wanting to just try them again I was so tempted to buy 2 titans to go multi gpu for the first time ever and I was disappointed when I asked if the titan was going to be the fastest card this year and everyone said most likely. Hopefully AMD makes me glad I waited and that everyone was wrong.

Pre-oc'd GTX 780's go for $650-660 new and have even more headroom left in them, beating out stock Titans. This card is likely coming in at 599-649 by all current rumors. So we see a card that may stock match an off-the-shelf 780 by being a little faster than a stock Titan if we're lucky, yet lacks many features and has poor 2-card capability due to the continuing microstutter issues even post-framepacing-for-dx11-only-single-screen-only-2560-or-lower-only drivers that don't work on DX9/10 at all either. Not sure how that qualifies as a "spankin for Nvidia". The high prices stink for all of us as buyers, but I don't see this card as likely doing anything to drive a price war.

You will see what Hawaii XT does to GTX 780 prices. :D btw AMD is going to announce today when their frame pacing phase 2 driver will be ready. don't be surprised to find it release on Hawaii''s retail launch day. :p

Ahh, the fond memories I had stroking err, playing with with my 9800PRO AIW:D! I only wish the following were still true:

This card will also have a suggested retail price of US$399. The Radeon 9700 Pro is not meant to fill the needs of the mainstream video card buyer out there. It is meant to be sold to the guys that live, breath and sleep either hardware or gaming...or both.

$399 for THE BEST OF THE BEST. PERIOD. It crushed EVERYTHING on the market, all for a whopping $399...That price point happened to be exactly where the 7970 came in at launch for $504.98 (adjusted for inflation from 2002 to 2012)...That goes to show you the insane mark up Nvidia had with the Titan/780s.....

I have no new AMD hardware in my hands.

Of course they wouldn't be in your hands if they are sitting in your test rig now would they?;)..They also wouldn't be in your hands if you happen to be sitting on a beautiful island in the Pacific enjoying some AMD press pampering eh?...:cool:

Did you not read this piece @ AnandTech? It clearly states that AMD has ome big news regarding FR pacing for Crossfire and Eyefinity (Phase 2 I would suppose) and Linux Driver support being announced..

If these announcements lead to the promised fixes in Phase 2 and 3, and are available right away or rather soon, I feel that it is a good thing for them not to hard launch the R9XX series...The FR Pacing issue was beaten to death, and was a big black eye to AMD, which they are working very hard to overcome..

In a way I think they are doing the right thing by getting all their ducks in a row before launching the new hardware..Basically saying look, we heard your feedback, realized there was an issue, and threw everything we had at getting it fixed for our current gen owners...It will give them a few weeks of time for the review sites to praise the fixes, and clear up the doubt that Cross Fire is a sub-par/broken solution for mutli-GPU setups..

I mean if they were to turn around announce it will be fixed for the new cards due to some "mysterious issue", how many pissed off 7XXX series owners do you think would defect to Nvidia outta spite?

EDIT: Darn it Raghu78, you beat me to the point while I was busy building a wall of text!

I got it.

they should put up a countdown web page to announce the announcement.
Then shown their cardboard model of the cards and....
OH WAIT
thats been done!

Why are people getting so upset about the announcement tonight?

I mean AMD have always said that the cards would be available in October and tonight was just a soft launch.

Why are people getting so upset about the announcement tonight?

I mean AMD have always said that the cards would be available in October and tonight was just a soft launch.

yup.
but some dont read the fineprint.

I wonder how many of these people crying foul about "paper launches" yelled at Apple for announcing a phone that was not available yet. Or when they see a car being announced that won't be for sale for a few months. Some of you people really need to get some perspective.

I got it.

they should put up a countdown web page to announce the announcement.
Then shown their cardboard model of the cards and....
OH WAIT
thats been done!

Well like the hot "baconator" launch, those are signature events which marketing people probably wouldn't want to be blamed for plagiarizing.

Back