AMD Ryzen Threadripper Unboxing - Hilarity Ensues

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
No doubt the AMD Threadripper package is cool looking and carries that Eye of Sauron feel, but I am not sure that all this extra engineering that went into the packaging was fully thought through. No rehearsals here. Still processing at the moment, should be HD in a minute.

Last edited:
"That's all there is to it."

That's the first time I'll need to use tools to open a CPU case.

Kyle, can you tell us when the benchmark NDA is up? I'm getting bluer balls than a high school boy at prom night waiting for you and your crew's review. Especially for that 1950x.

blue.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ktos2
like this
Someone's nephew got a job they didn't deserve in the packaging department.
Pretty sure my cousin who is 5 could come up with something more useful.. I think amd just told their engineers to come up with something and like any engineer would do over engineered it instead of sticking with what has worked for the last 20+ years, lol.

Wonder how much that horrible packaging adds to the cost of the processor.

AMD Exec: "We'd like our packaging to be cool like Apple's"

Other AMD exec: "My son loves Apple products, I bet he can do it."

AMD Exec: "Great! Get him over here."

Other AMD exec: "As soon as the 3:00 bell rings."

"That's all there is to it."

That's the first time I'll need to use tools to open a CPU case.

Kyle, can you tell us when the benchmark NDA is up? I'm getting bluer balls than a high school boy at prom night waiting for you and your crew's review. Especially for that 1950x.

Probably the 10th(release day) like they did with ryzen 7.

I have seen a few unboxings of threadripper this is the first where the packaging was broke. Pretty sure that will be every Amazon customers problem though lol. Even so a lot more exciting then Intel's X299 platform.

well a 200 pound gorilla against a plastic box have to turn out bad :)

but you seem to be unlucky :/

(quoting kinda AvE on youtube with the 200 pound gorilla)

Good times....i thought for sure the CPU was going to be damaged when he pulled it out....rattling around the box like that....wow the packaging was terrible. Almost like the engineer said " how can we screw with people to make it more fun for us to watch people struggle".

well a 200 pound gorilla against a plastic box have to turn out bad :)

but you seem to be unlucky :/

(quoting kinda AvE on youtube with the 200 pound gorilla)
I would be interesting to see AvE opening up threadripper packaging with an AxE.

They should provide a can opener with it :)

IMHO a serious case of over-engineering a CPU box. I bet half the cost you pay for one of those goes to the packaging ;)

I would be interesting to see AvE opening up threadripper packaging with an AxE.

OMG that ould be funny as hell. He loves overengineered shit.

Keep yer dick in a vice!

I really want these things to kick ass.... I have huge desire to build a new AMD PC before the end of the year.

That was fucking hilarious............I mean unless you staged that..........you simply cannot make this shit up.

AMD should package an extraction tool with each box.

Could you just cut through the plastic on the top instaed of messing with that ring?

As someone else said......how much did it cost to put that CPU in that crazy package? Paper box would suffice.

Damn.....that CPU is HUGE.......

Oh yeah....you have a typo there..........." fully THOUGHT through" (the english teacher in me comes out)

Kyle do you know what motherboard you will be using with this for testing?
will their be an offical unboxing :)

Ya Kyle any details you can share about the mobo would be great. Also which cooling solution will you be using?

man that's a lot of wasted material. I guess we can plant a little plant in the box..

I thought they were supposed to include the AIO mounting bracket? or is that for retail

Fire whomever came up with that BS. What a waste of time and money.

I bet some engineer in China has in the last 10 seconds designed a better box from antistatic foam and cardboard. For 1/100th the cost to boot.

Reactions: ktos2
like this
man that's a lot of wasted material. I guess we can plant a little plant in the box..

I thought they were supposed to include the AIO mounting bracket? or is that for retail
Yes, there is an AIO braket for Asetek based coolers in the box as well as a torque wrench for installation.

Well, that was an unfortunate whoopsie :( So, do you think Gigabyte or AMD will rush you out a replacement mainboard? If the pins are THAT delicate, I can see this being something of a problem for typical consumers...

543063_original.jpg

The sensitive pins thing sounds scary, was concerning enough when I was working on the I7 rig, dang.

Last edited:
Boy, that chip install isn't going to be too unnerving. Thanks for the latest vid Kyle, I will be sure to have zero coffee and only one scotch before giving it a whirl.

Back