AMD Ryzen Threadripper Coldplate Mounting and Mating @ [H]

Discussion in 'AMD Processors' started by FrgMstr, Aug 5, 2017.

1. FrgMstr

FrgMstr Just Plain Mean Staff Member

AMD Ryzen Threadripper Coldplate Mounting and Mating - When you mount any processor cooling system, you want to make sure that you have the best possible mating surface between the two. That means you want as little Thermal Interface Material as possible. When both surfaces are not flat, this is an issue.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    noko, Vader1975, Emission and 2 others like this.
  2. Stimpy88

Stimpy88 [H]ard|Gawd

Thanks for bringing this up Kyle. I’m dreaming of a Threadripper setup one day! But it’s funny that after all these years, CPU cold plates and heat sinks are still a substandard mess of convex or concave, often rough surfaces. Totally flush fit with a mirror finish is how all good CPU coolers should be.

N4CR, viscountalpha, AlphaQup and 2 others like this.
  3. DWolvin

DWolvin [H]ard|Gawd

Lapping is back baby!

yuck.

anthrex and jfreund like this.
  4. FrgMstr

Got it lapped "some." Jeez. Hard to lap a tiny coldplate with nowhere to hold onto it while it is attached to some stiff-ass tubing. Nearly impossible to hold it flat.

5. Drewis

Drewis Limp Gawd

bring her out to the old workshop, wrap the plastic shroud in a towel and tighten down the vice :X

edit: like the above poster said... this should never be an issue in 2017

6. FrgMstr

Yeah, that crossed my mind too, but I do not want to risk breaking the only cooling solution I have for this processor right now.

AceGoober likes this.
  7. FrgMstr

8. Wolfkin

Wolfkin [H]ard|Gawd

Wow that's just goddamn awful, possibly the worst mating I've seen.
    Threadripper need some better cooling solution for sure, this AIO doesn't cut it.

9. FrgMstr

Update 2 Added.

pendragon1 likes this.
  10. Wolfkin

Wolfkin [H]ard|Gawd

After update 2, much better but still there's a lot of space at the corners that's not covered by this coldplate, and given the layout of the cpu chips that can only be a bad thing in my opinion.
    Very interested to see the results of testing though, will this be enough or is a better cooling solution needed for optimum performance? Review will tell.

11. BloodyIron

BloodyIron 2[H]4U

Btw update is not spelt udpate, look at #1 ;o

Also, wtf, how is the manufacturing still producing concave or convex??? How is the fab steps not involving flattening?

12. oldmanbal

oldmanbal [H]ard|Gawd

All these NDA tiptoes fed to us by AMD PR are no different than another boring no-product paper launch. ANYTHING BUT A HARD LAUNCH IS NOT [H]

Otherwise, I am very interested in the thermals this chip is going to be kicking out, especially at whatever ceiling clock it can reach. Good luck on the test bench.

AceGoober and FrgMstr like this.
  13. CombatChrisNC

CombatChrisNC [H]ard|Gawd

Exactly!!! I thought the same thing. Will some other vendors have coolers with larger bases which fully cover the rectangle? Will the bracket shown in the video even allow that?

14. tangoseal

tangoseal [H]ardness Supreme

Hopefully EK/Xspc etc.. have blocks ready to ship on 10th.

Emission likes this.
  15. mvmiller12

mvmiller12 Gawd

I reached out to Koolance in reference to getting anything to support TR4, and they said they are taking a wait-and-see approach to it. So definitely nothing at launch from them. :(

I was hoping for at least a CPU-390 adapter plate...

thesmokingman likes this.
  16. Nokia

Nokia [H]ard|Gawd

So in the future will we see cooling plates that will cover the whole processor or just partial as we are seening with this one?

Keep up the good work Kyle.

17. thesmokingman

thesmokingman [H]ardness Supreme

What are they waiting to see? If it will take off? They are going to be beat to market again by the likes of EK for the billionth time.

From what I've seen they're in development (EK that is) and will release upon release. Sounds good.

Bitspower also is working on blocks.

18. Chebsy

Chebsy Gawd

Call me old fashioned, but shouldn't/doesn't AMD supply a cooler for this CPU ?? not taking anything away from all the work that Kyle put into coldplate.

mjz_5 likes this.
  19. mjz_5

mjz_5 2[H]4U

True. Weird that a cooler is not included

20. Semantics

Semantics 2[H]4U

I wonder what it's looking like for the vrms considering the watts flowing though and the encouragement of premium liquid cooling that coupled with 8 sticks of ram it's alot of heat around the cpu that can very easily be not dealt if someone isn't paying attention.
    I'm also wondering if anyone will build aio actually big enough to cover the head spreader better in threadripper given it would be a variant that only could be sold to with threadripper or epyc customers. I know noctua is building special tower coolers for it but i don't remember any other company really announcing new products for threadripper just mounting brackets.

21. sparks

sparks 2[H]4U

I can not believe how crap ALL coolers are about flat surfaces.
    I once had a thermal right that I decided to check...sandpaper and glass lapping and the bottom was in a U shape...wtf nothing in the middle made contact.
    after lapping with 400 600 1000 2000 it was perfectly flat but damn they could do better.
    Corsair water blocks are even worse...HELL they could run it over something fast to make it at least half ass flat. the dome shape doesn't make since.

anyone got any thermals of that cpu to know where the hot spots are?

22. LurkerLito

LurkerLito 2[H]4U

I would love to here how the lapping affected the cooling, was the pre-lap temps much higher. It's a bit disconcerting that I'll probably have to do this on a new AIO because there is none specifically made for TR yet.

23. heelix

heelix [H]ard|Gawd

Quick question Kyle - the AIO you used - was that the 'stock' heat sink it sounds like they are including, or did you just get a bare chip and use one of your own?

24. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

it was the riing 360 that amd set out with the review kits.

25. Emission

Emission [H]ardness Supreme

Hopefully their surfaces are machined properly as well so we don't run into this contact issue.

26. mvmiller12

mvmiller12 Gawd

I really feel like in recent years that Koolance has been catering less to the enthusiast crowd and is really more interested in industrial endeavours. They haven't outright SAID anything along those lines, but it seems kinda obvious looking at their home page and product announcements. When is the last time you saw any movement on the Exos front, for example?

It really saddens me, because I've always loved Koolance stuff - ever since Kyle first reviewed the original Koolance case a million years ago :). Heck - a friend of mine who built his first hard-tubing PC and is a pretty hardcore EK lover even got the Koolance CPU-390 cooler instead of one of the EK ones for his 7700K - he really liked the aesthetics of the block itself as well as the mounting hardware. It's the only Koolance piece in his entire system :). The only NON-Koolance piece in any of my 3 systems is an EK block on my reference RX480, and only because Koolance doesn't have anything for those. Having a pure Koolance system seems to be getting harder and harder to do.

Nobu, jfreund and FrgMstr like this.
  27. FrgMstr

You have seen pictures of both in that article. I am leaning towards ASUS right now, but I know ASUS has had more access to AMD than GBT has in terms of AGESA and chipset driver updates, so all in all, jury still out.

28. Semantics

Semantics 2[H]4U

Or get frustrated go to home depot buy some plastic washers/shims and bump up that mounting pressure till convex = flat and TIM applications means shit. Bending of motherboards may vary.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  29. MrC4

MrC4 [H]ard|Gawd

Nice work Kyle! What a difference between the 1st and final application.

FrgMstr likes this.
  30. Monkey God

Monkey God Mangina Full of Sand

Thats terrible product quality from Asetek. Avoiding that.

Ocellaris likes this.
  31. Semantics

Semantics 2[H]4U

It might be on purpose, on a smaller heatspreader a convex surface and higher mounting pressure is ideal. Thermalright was known to do it on purpose atleast back in the days when intel soldered their heat-spreaders making them a little bit concave. Threadripper is an ungodly size compared to the the likely designed application of the cold plate, plus atleast this one seems quite flat already a nice mix of things not playing together.

32. FrgMstr

This is cool...

SomeoneElse and pendragon1 like this.
  33. FrgMstr

Update 4: Added AMD's suggested TIM installation for Threadripper video.

34. Monkey God

Monkey God Mangina Full of Sand

I could see your point if it was a *little* convex, not so much its easily visible.

FrgMstr likes this.
  35. Dayaks

Dayaks [H]ardness Supreme

Yeah me too, but this thing is absolutely huge.

Flexion likes this.
  36. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

its yuge!
    heres a leaked pic of TR2 :)

[​IMG]

37. FrgMstr

The way I described has worked best for me. Just pulled another install that was under a lot to temperature. Looked very much like update 3. Going to stick with what is working for me.

pendragon1 likes this.
  38. FrgMstr

I am going to suggest that I have my work cut out ahead of me to show you guys any overclocking of any merit. That said, I see some thinking and some garage time tomorrow to cobble something worthy together.

tunatime, Ashcutus and DrLobotomy like this.
  39. grtitan

grtitan Telemetry is Spying on ME!

I WANT IT!!!!!!

Must say, wow, lots of work, great job going the extra mile.

Can you say anything about the temps, after every lap?