AMD Ryzen Threadripper 7000 Series Lineup Revealed

erek

[H]F Junkie
Pretty cool

"Moving onto the Threadripper PRO 7000WX series, and we have four processor models—the PRO 7995WX (100-100000884WOF), the PRO 7985WX (100-100000454WOF), the PRO 7975WX (100-100000453WOF), and the 7965WX (100000885WOF). All four are high core-count models. The PRO 7995WX leads the pack with a mammoth 96-core/192-thread core-count, 5.10 GHz maximum boost, and 482 MB of total cache. The PRO 7985WX is 64-core/128-thread, with 5.10 GHz maximum boost, and 320 MB total cache. The PRO 7975WX is 32-core/64-thread, with 5.30 GHz maximum boost, and 160 MB total cache. Lastly, the 7965WX is 24-core/48-thread with 5.30 GHz maximum boost, and 152 MB of total cache."

1697721025744.png

Source: https://www.techpowerup.com/314900/amd-ryzen-threadripper-7000-series-lineup-revealed

If those non-pro models are real, they have my interest.

I thought consumer Threadripper was dead after the TRX40/3000 series.
They are still Lenovo timed exclusives from what I understand.
But Intel’s reemergence in the workstation space with the scalable Xeons is prompting action. That and the competition from the Apple Studio ate some of that market. As the Studio and the existing Threadripper’s go shot for shot on a fair number of workloads.
Those Threadripper’s are late though and with Ram prices feeding those cores aren’t cheap. 2GB per thread adds up fast.

New CPU or a new-to-me used car? Decisions, decisions...

What you need to do is call the used car a "project" that means it will cost all the money on earth and your Threadripper is fully justified!

It's not costing money to buy the CPU, it's saving you $20k by preventing you from starting a crate engine buildup!

But Intel’s reemergence in the workstation space with the scalable Xeons is prompting action. That and the competition from the Apple Studio ate some of that market. As the Studio and the existing Threadripper’s go shot for shot on a fair number of workloads.
Those Threadripper’s are late though and with Ram prices feeding those cores aren’t cheap. 2GB per thread adds up fast.

Exclusives like that are goddamn bullshit.

Any high end computer part (at least CPU's or GPU's) only make sense to buy right at launch time, as their value propositions are a ticking time bomb, and its not as if the list price goes down over time. So get them right at launch, or get screwed with an expensive part that is outperformed by newer lower end parts way too soon.

This is doubly true with Threadripper using Zen4 cores and launching more than a year after consumer Zen4. If anything Threadrippers are the premium part and should be prioritized first out the gate, not be consumer parts sloppy seconds.

Since I'll never buy a prebuilt PC, and will definitely never buy any electronics from a Chinese spy brand, this essentially places the Zen4 Threadrippers in the "never buy" category, which is a crying shame.

Exclusives of all forms, software, games, hardware, it doesn't matter, are a cancer and need to die, and any company who pursues them ought to be shamed off the market.

I don't even need or want all of these cores. I just want a normal amount of expansion, as opposed to the gimped consumer parts we get these days.

in 2001 my Abit KR7A-RAID had 7 expansion slots (between AGP and PCI) Consumer parts today are trash, forcing you to use a bundle of whatever bargain bin garbage chips a motherboard manufacturer saw fit to integrate on board, instead of mixing and matching your own to best suit your needs.

It's total bullshit.

These companies seem to be trying their hardest to ruin everything I care about. I can't help but look around at the electronics and computer market today, and compare it with the beautiful vibrant and dynamic market we had 20 years ago. It means I am constantly seething.

Looks like luckily you were wrong about that one:

https://ir.amd.com/news-events/pres...oduces-new-amd-ryzen-threadripper-7000-series

"Finally, the new AMD Ryzen Threadripper 7000 Series and select Ryzen Threadripper PRO 7000 WX-Series processors will be available from DIY retailers starting on November 21st."

As far as integrators go, they mention Dell, Lenovo and HP.

At least this time around the max per core turbo clock is the same on the Pro and Non-Pro models, so if you find a good deal on a Pro, there aren't any sacrifices. Consumer models are already beyond that core speed though...

My goal has always been to have the best of both worlds no compromises machine. I don't really need all of the cores, but I like the quad channel RAM bandwidth, and I want the extra PCIe lanes without sacrificing max core clocks. :/

If they made a 16 core Threadripper with quad core ram and all of the PCIe lanes, I'd buy it.

Speaking of PCIe lanes...

The non-pro models appear to have been downgraded to only 48 lanes, from the 64 they had in the 3000 series, which is a major bummer. As far as I am concerned, all f those extra lanes are the only reason to buy a Threadripper. Very few people actually have any use for a bajillion cores.

The question I am going to be thinking long and hard about is if it really worth dropping ~$2500 between the motherboard and CPU on a chip based on the Zen4 arch which is already over a year old... Zen5 consumer parts are probably right around the corner.

Another question is how much the price penalty for the lower end PRO models is. Since the per core turbo clock is the same, maybe it is worth it for the full octa-channel RAM and 148PCIe lanes. (I don't even know how to use that many lanes. 8 slots max, and max 16x lanes each is 128 Lanes, but at least one of those slots will be blocked by a dual slot GPU, leaving 112 lanes. That leaves 36 lanes for m.2 and chipset? That's probably more than even I can make use of :p

IN earlier Threaderippers the WX /Pro models were less suited for games due to a less optimal CCD/CCX layout. I wonder if that is still the case? Can't have my "best of both worlds" machine, if it fails at one world :p

Last edited:
Pretty cool

"Moving onto the Threadripper PRO 7000WX series, and we have four processor models—the PRO 7995WX (100-100000884WOF), the PRO 7985WX (100-100000454WOF), the PRO 7975WX (100-100000453WOF), and the 7965WX (100000885WOF). All four are high core-count models. The PRO 7995WX leads the pack with a mammoth 96-core/192-thread core-count, 5.10 GHz maximum boost, and 482 MB of total cache. The PRO 7985WX is 64-core/128-thread, with 5.10 GHz maximum boost, and 320 MB total cache. The PRO 7975WX is 32-core/64-thread, with 5.30 GHz maximum boost, and 160 MB total cache. Lastly, the 7965WX is 24-core/48-thread with 5.30 GHz maximum boost, and 152 MB of total cache."

View attachment 607217

Source: https://www.techpowerup.com/314900/amd-ryzen-threadripper-7000-series-lineup-revealed

It's interesting. The official press release announces 12 and 16 core versions of the Pro models as well:

1697741791855.png

1697741806339.png

1697741839399.png

And now looking at that last image, I am confused. They said there were only 48 lanes, but now they are saying a total o7 92 lanes (88 usable, I'm guessing 4 are used for the chipset?)

Provided they are obtainable, the price premium above non-pro versions isn't too extreme, and the have a CCX/CCD layout that works for both professional AND game workloads, I could even see myself getting the 12 core 7945WX or the 16 core 7955WX, and not have a crapload of unwanted cores go to waste.

Still a shame they didn't stick the X3D cache in them, but maybe with quad and octa-channel RAM the benefit is smaller? That said, they already have 128MB L3 cache, so maybe that is completely moot...

Last edited:
It's interesting. The official press release announces 12 and 16 core versions of the Pro models as well:
Those are precisely the SKUs likely to be Lenovo-locked (plus the 24c and probably the 32c), just like 5000 Series. The press release qualifies "select" PRO cpu's will be at retail.

Pretty cool

View attachment 607217

I think this last section is equally important

"The sTRX5 platform features a 4-channel DDR5 memory interface, whereas the PRO WX platform features an 8-channel interface"

WX = 8 channel memory & 128 pcie 5
X = 4 channel memory & 48 pcie 5

I think this last section is equally important

"The sTRX5 platform features a 4-channel DDR5 memory interface, whereas the PRO WX platform features an 8-channel interface"

WX = 8 channel memory & 128 pcie 5
X = 4 channel memory & 48 pcie 5

That (sortof) matches the way it was with the 3000 series, the last time we had both PRO and non Pro models.

The WX/Pro models were essentially EPYC chips in Workstation clothing with the full 128PCIe lanes and octa-channel RAM, whereas the non-pro TRX40 chips got quad channel RAM and 64 PCIe lanes (probably to reduce the cost of the socket/package/motherboard. (I can only imagine having to route all of those precisely fine tuned sensitive signal leads on a motherboard. Must be a nightmare.)

It's interesting though. Since then EPYC has moved to 12-channel (dodeca channel?) RAM, so it sounds like they are no longer taking advantage of the economies of scale between Threadripper PRO and EPYC.

Exclusives like that are goddamn bullshit.

Any high end computer part (at least CPU's or GPU's) only make sense to buy right at launch time, as their value propositions are a ticking time bomb, and its not as if the list price goes down over time. So get them right at launch, or get screwed with an expensive part that is outperformed by newer lower end parts way too soon.

This is doubly true with Threadripper using Zen4 cores and launching more than a year after consumer Zen4. If anything Threadrippers are the premium part and should be prioritized first out the gate, not be consumer parts sloppy seconds.

Since I'll never buy a prebuilt PC, and will definitely never buy any electronics from a Chinese spy brand, this essentially places the Zen4 Threadrippers in the "never buy" category, which is a crying shame.

Exclusives of all forms, software, games, hardware, it doesn't matter, are a cancer and need to die, and any company who pursues them ought to be shamed off the market.

I don't even need or want all of these cores. I just want a normal amount of expansion, as opposed to the gimped consumer parts we get these days.

in 2001 my Abit KR7A-RAID had 7 expansion slots (between AGP and PCI) Consumer parts today are trash, forcing you to use a bundle of whatever bargain bin garbage chips a motherboard manufacturer saw fit to integrate on board, instead of mixing and matching your own to best suit your needs.

It's total bullshit.

These companies seem to be trying their hardest to ruin everything I care about. I can't help but look around at the electronics and computer market today, and compare it with the beautiful vibrant and dynamic market we had 20 years ago. It means I am constantly seething.
That's why I have migrated off Threadrippers here, Those who could be upgraded with Mac Studios were, and those who couldn't got Scalable Gen 3 Xeons (Gen 4's werent available for me at that time) and they have been little tanks.
With the exception of this morning where server 3 notified me of a critical failure while I was writing this, for me to be met with a pop and a terrible smell.
Cracked it open to find an exploded Stink Bug across a couple of power rails, so fortunately that cleaned up good and she came back up but yeah...

For the Non Canadians this is the bastard in question.
1697742833296.png

What you need to do is call the used car a "project" that means it will cost all the money on earth and your Threadripper is fully justified!

It's not costing money to buy the CPU, it's saving you $20k by preventing you from starting a crate engine buildup!
Now these are some mental gymnastics I can get behind!

I hope the prosumer offerings are within reach. HEDT is a niche market, but I miss there being at least some options.

Looks like luckily you were wrong about that one:

https://ir.amd.com/news-events/pres...oduces-new-amd-ryzen-threadripper-7000-series

"Finally, the new AMD Ryzen Threadripper 7000 Series and select Ryzen Threadripper PRO 7000 WX-Series processors will be available from DIY retailers starting on November 21st."

As far as integrators go, they mention Dell, Lenovo and HP.

At least this time around the max per core turbo clock is the same on the Pro and Non-Pro models, so if you find a good deal on a Pro, there aren't any sacrifices. Consumer models are already beyond that core speed though...

My goal has always been to have the best of both worlds no compromises machine. I don't really need all of the cores, but I like the quad channel RAM bandwidth, and I want the extra PCIe lanes without sacrificing max core clocks. :/

If they made a 16 core Threadripper with quad core ram and all of the PCIe lanes, I'd buy it.

Speaking of PCIe lanes...

The non-pro models appear to have been downgraded to only 48 lanes, from the 64 they had in the 3000 series, which is a major bummer. As far as I am concerned, all f those extra lanes are the only reason to buy a Threadripper. Very few people actually have any use for a bajillion cores.

The question I am going to be thinking long and hard about is if it really worth dropping ~$2500 between the motherboard and CPU on a chip based on the Zen4 arch which is already over a year old... Zen5 consumer parts are probably right around the corner.

Another question is how much the price penalty for the lower end PRO models is. Since the per core turbo clock is the same, maybe it is worth it for the full octa-channel RAM and 148PCIe lanes. (I don't even know how to use that many lanes. 8 slots max, and max 16x lanes each is 128 Lanes, but at least one of those slots will be blocked by a dual slot GPU, leaving 112 lanes. That leaves 36 lanes for m.2 and chipset? That's probably more than even I can make use of :p

IN earlier Threaderippers the WX /Pro models were less suited for games due to a less optimal CCD/CCX layout. I wonder if that is still the case? Can't have my "best of both worlds" machine, if it fails at one world :p
I like this, it's too little too late for me personally at least for this procurement year, perhaps next.
The fact they are bringing Dell in makes it easier for me as my previous dealings with Lenovo have left a less than great taste in my mouth.

Non pro could obviously be nice, but starting at $1500, even if the motherboard price are not ultra dereasonable, that will make for expensive platform with Zen5 that will be either round the corner or released by the time those are DYU chip.

Maybe a muchcheaper 32 core Zen5 will be an option by that time...

Non pro could obviously be nice, but starting at $1500, even if the motherboard price are not ultra dereasonable, that will make for expensive platform with Zen5 that will be either round the corner or released by the time those are DYU chip.

Threadripper is for those who need the memory channels or the PCIe lanes, and those workloads fall into the "I make my living off this machine", and the people who know they need it generally know that those prices aren't the worst, don't get me wrong they freeking hurt, but generally the productivity increase is worth the expenditure if your existing machine is your limiting factor. But again the people who are in that situation know they are and have probably been shopping for new workstations for a while and the prices on these while painful aren't unexpected, but with the way that USB has been going and memory speeds and whatnot more people can go from a traditional HEDT solution down to a Workstation solution using the Intel or AMD stack. Intel and those weird 12,24, and 48 GB modules pack a hefty punch if you need capacity but not the channels. Many devices that were once internal PCIe devices have been replaced with USB-based ones, and Thunderbolt to PCIe docks are fast enough for many that it's not a guaranteed bottleneck, again based on the workloads.

So the HEDT market has shifted a little over the past couple of years and prices are sadly reflecting that, not happy about it but like everybody else my choices are to change how I do things or pony up the cash.

That's why I have migrated off Threadrippers here, Those who could be upgraded with Mac Studios were, and those who couldn't got Scalable Gen 3 Xeons (Gen 4's werent available for me at that time) and they have been little tanks.
With the exception of this morning where server 3 notified me of a critical failure while I was writing this, for me to be met with a pop and a terrible smell.
Cracked it open to find an exploded Stink Bug across a couple of power rails, so fortunately that cleaned up good and she came back up but yeah...

For the Non Canadians this is the bastard in question.
View attachment 607329

We have those here in Mass as well, but I've never had them short anyhing. I didn't even realize that could happen!

There will probably be a much cheaper 32 core consumer ZEN5 or later version at some point.

Only downside is that they will likely have as limited PCIe lanes as the current consumer platforms.

I really couldn't care less about the core count. I'm 100% into Threadripper for the PCIe lanes.

There will probably be a much cheaper 32 core consumer ZEN5 or later version at some point.

Only downside is that they will likely have as limited PCIe lanes as the current consumer platforms.

I really couldn't care less about the core count. I'm 100% into Threadripper for the PCIe lanes.
The real question is do you trust AMD to stay on the same socket like they are with AM5

Or even offer WX models for zen 5/6/7 for that matter

I'm always interested in it at home for core count alone (could always decrease my UHD encode time - or even help running parallel encodes - either more and/or faster) - but the cost jump of everything else platform wide I DON'T need makes me go 'nah I'm good' 😭

There is 64 lane of PCI5 Xeon that are supposed to start at $360, there no low core count I just need the lane announced on the threadripper side yet.

Threadripper is for those who need the memory channels or the PCIe lanes,
Once the high core count non threadripper launch, but has of now that still a market difference (i.e. someone that do not need PCIe lanes or more than dual 6000x DDR5 bandwith, which is already significant more than not so long ago DDR4 world) could still take a look on high core count CPU, would they exist.

I imagine the 32 core regular one will make the subject irrelevant soon enough.

I'm always interested in it at home for core count alone (could always decrease my UHD encode time - or even help running parallel encodes - either more and/or faster) - but the cost jump of everything else platform wide I DON'T need makes me go 'nah I'm good' 😭

I'm pretty similar but in the opposite direction. I wish I could get all of the extra PCIe lanes, L3 cache and maybe RAM bandwidth, but without having to spend money on the crazy core counts that I don't need or want :p

In theory it could be great for encodes, but I really only do that a handful of times a year, so it would be silly to buy a system for that purpose, when I could just encode overnight on the odd occasion I need it.

There is 64 lane of PCI5 Xeon that are supposed to start at $360, there no low core count I just need the lane announced on the threadripper side yet.

You have any more info on those?

I find the Xeon product lineup really confusing these days ever since they abandoned the E3/E5/E7 lineup distinction.

First there were golds and silvers I never made any sense of, and now there's some weird "scaleable" shit that I've never figured out.

I'm sure there must be some rational pattern to them, I just haven't figured it out yet.

I have 3 machines based around this guy here.
https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/motherboard/x13swa-tf

And I like them so far.

I'm always a big fan of Supermicro boards, and man that is a thing of beauty. All the stuff that matters, and very little of the stuff that doesn't. I wish more boards were like that.

The Issue I see with those intel CPU's is that they are just as pricy or more as their Threadripper counterparts, with all of the same shortcomings, and some of them are actually worse. For instance, these appear to have a bigger max turbo clock deficit compared to their consumer counterparts than Threadripper has when compared to Ryzen.

I'm sure they are fantastic workstations, but I think in the realm of a "best of both worlds" machine, the Threadripper is marginally better at a slightly better price.

Good to know there are choices though.

Last edited:

The code name seems to be Sapphire Rapids, but I can't seem to figure out what the consumer equivalent core architecture is.

I'm particularly interested in finding out how max single core performance compares between Raptor Lake and Sapphire Lake.

Raptor lake boosts a full ghz higher, but I don't know if a Raptor Lake P core is the same at the same clock as a Sapphire Rapids core, or if they are a different architecture.

Edit: So it looks like Sapphire Rapids cores are Golden Cove cores. These are the same cores Alder Lake and Raptor Lake use for P cores.

Phew. Finally figured it out.

So, yeah, with a Xeon W34xx Sapphire Rapids chip topping out at a single core boost clock of between 4.5 and 4.8Ghz, that's a significant hit compared to a 13900ks which tops out at 6.0Ghz.

Threadripper is pretty much just a bunch of ZEN4 cores in a fancy multi CCD chiplet package, but with it's fastest cores topping out at 5.3 Ghz, it is much closer to its consumer variants which top out at a boost of 5.0-5.7

Last edited:
If those non-pro models are real, they have my interest.

I thought consumer Threadripper was dead after the TRX40/3000 series.

Well, non-Pro Threadripper has morphed to now use registered RAM. It isn't quite the same Pro/non-pro set as before.

Of course I greatly welcome this decision.

Why no large cache like the EPYC X chips?

Well, non-Pro Threadripper has morphed to now use registered RAM. It isn't quite the same Pro/non-pro set as before.

Of course I greatly welcome this decision.

Why no large cache like the EPYC X chips?

I thought 128MB WAS a huge L3 cache, and then I looked up the EPYC X chips.

768MB? Holy mother of God.

If I had to guess it has something to do with price? Those EPYC chips are like $8k

I'm always a big fan of Supermicro boards, and man that is a thing of beauty. All the stuff that matters, and very little of the stuff that doesn't. I wish more boards were like that.

The Issue I see with those intel CPU's is that they are just as pricy or more as their Threadripper counterparts, with all of the same shortcomings, and some of them are actually worse. For instance, these appear to have a bigger max turbo clock deficit compared to their consumer counterparts than Threadripper has when compared to Ryzen.

I'm sure they are fantastic workstations, but I think in the realm of a "best of both worlds" machine, the Threadripper is marginally better at a slightly better price.

Good to know there are choices though.
These are my first Supermicro’s in a while, got them last year and paired them up with the Xeon Silver 4316’s. hasn’t disappointed me yet, fingers crossed they don’t over the next 4 years.

Only change I may make is swapping out the Intel 2TB SSD’s for some Samsung 4 TB’s. Storage isn’t an issue yet but I’m getting close to that 70% mark. But it’s riding that line and unless I add more VM’s it won’t go past there.

Last edited:
Back