AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990X Rumors

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Rumors from HKEPC point to the new 32-Core AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990X having a 3GHz base clock with a Precision Boost 2 clock of 4.2GHz. Nothing shocking there based on what we already know about the 2700X. TDP is listed at 250W. They are saying that it overclocked to 4.1GHz on all cores under water cooling. Trust me, we will let you know for sure when we get samples in our hands. We will also be taking the top three water blocks from our testing, and put those to the test on the new 2990X. Also, we have all of Noctua's Threadripper air coolers in hand to see just how well those will work out.

Really looking forward to the Noctua cooler results. I plan on building this fall but I'm hoping I don't feel compelled to do a custom loop.

What will the cost of this be? $2000 CPU? Although this might drive down the price of the 19xx series threadrippers significantly. I'll still take 16/32 CPU's in my gaming rig especially if it's 1/2 the price.

Come on man, to be fair you have to use a water chiller.
Kyle loves being a troll.. don't tempt him. I could see that stunt getting some press, perhaps Kyle should hit up some chiller companies and work out a deal for them to get publicity, in exchange for a test unit.
Kyle bringing the salt train to Intel like that would be godlike.
salt train.jpg

edit to add: Seen a 4.55Ghz @ 1.5V chilled water 2700x, so a binned TR2 perhaps similar with luck and a big chiller system. That would make for some very interesting numbers in 32 core format..

Last edited:
250W TDP on air?

They are designing special coolers. AMD chips have wider surface area so the coolers are able dissipate heat better. I am sure the coolers will be good for whatever stock clocks is though you would need water coolers to sustain 4.1ghz on all cores.

6399 on Cinebench Benchmark with 4.12 OC looks great vs 3300 for 1950X with a 4.1 Ghz OC.

This looks like a very worthy upgrade for my 4770k

I hope this means I can get a 1950x for half the price?

I'd love to see 4.2ghz all-core on "decent AIO or better" cooling. As much as I'd like to see things climb even higher for single or few-core performance with AMD, Ryzen+ and Threadripper+ (especially with the increased core count) being able to hit 4.2ghz all-core is indeed a feat. I'm also curious to see if either Threadripper+ 's thermals itself and/or the coolers/coldplates have been updated for this second go-round, as more than any other modern chips it seems Threadripper's size means that cooling needs to be designed to accommodate. Looking forward to what Kyle can show us!

Wow that is really nice. I really want to know how much and if my board will support it.
Yes your TR4 board will support it. Whether or not it will support a highly overclocked 2990X is still not answered.

3.0 base or 3.4? I am reading its 3.4 base clock.
This is the quote, take it how you wish. That said, no one around here gives a shit about base clocks I would not think.

"The official version of AMD "Ryzen Threadripper 2990X" will be B2-Stepping, 32 cores, 64 threads, with 3MB L1 Cache, 16MB L2 Cache and 64MB L3 Cache. The basic clock speed is 3GHz, All Core load clock speed is 3.4GHz, and the highest Precision The Boost clock is 4GHz. Due to the highest TDP of 250W, it is a test for AMD X399 motherboard power supply design."

I know several people that would jump on a 4.0-4.2 Ghz water-cooled 32 core Ryzen in a HEARTBEAT!!

Obviously for.... "work".

wccft is saying there will be a 24 core version also. Has anyone seen what models are planned? I'm assuming we'll see a 12 and 16 core version too but I havent seen anything

I think I will wait for 6 core complexes on Zen2. I have waited this long and just got the 2700.

Will they really have 48 core cpus then??

Last edited:
Reactions: N4CR
like this
WOW, Can you believe a 32core CPU could have the same performance as a 2700 @ 4.2ghz? Impressive

WOW, Can you believe a 32core CPU could have the same performance as a 2700 @ 4.2ghz? Impressive

I think that is the beauty of module design instead of a single die. easier to dissipate heat and you literally get scaling close to other ryzen chips. Pretty damn impressive. They nailed it with infinity fabric though. I mean I am amazed at the job they have been doing with shitty budget compared to intel!

I would very much like to see it on a good AIO.

I know my limitations a custom loop is not for me.

Which AIO enables the best self boost would (for me) be awesome knowledge.

A lot of what I play is multi-thread enabled. Maybe not 30+ thread, one can hope however. I know ESO is multi-thread able now wonder how many it can use? Think POE is also able to multi. Wonder what others I play do.... hmmm

Is there a good resource for what games do more then 1 thread and how many max?

Mix in one of those new nice big HDR10 monitors, maybe some VR and my private video library - who needs to leave the house now a days?

to hold fire on a ryzen 2700x system or not to hold fire on a 2700x system that is the question

to hold fire on a ryzen 2700x system or not to hold fire on a 2700x system that is the question
yeah I'm in the same boat right now too. I have a [email protected] but I'd like to offload it before its not worth anything. If I go x399 I can use my 8 sticks of 4gb DDR4 whereas with the 2700x I could use use half of it....but then again with the added cost of an x399 system I could buy new ram instead lol

It said they used a high end corsair AIO, but there are no Corsair AIOs that give propper coverage for threadripper.

I even seem to remember some people saying that Noctua's TR4 air coolers out performed traditional AIOs. (Exception being Enermax with their TR4 variant)

So I do wonder, 4.2-4.3 may be possible on realistic cooling solutions. Pretty cool. Not far off Intel's HEDT imo.

I wonder how theses will clock if you disabled a few cores and only keep the ones that clock well?
I know with my 6 core 6800k, the difference between core frequencies was as much as 200mhz between best and worst cores at a constant core voltage.

Could be a fun thing to test for those of us who enjoy the tedium of such tasks.

You could even test the 2 memory controllers (pretty sure there are two yes..not 4 like epyc?)

Damn - this is a good time for me to be planning top upgrade. I can't really say I need 32 cores, but I do. I could easily replace all of my servers and have better performance than I do now - plus, my electric bill would go down some.

A year ago I thought 8 cores was badass territory.

Now 16 cores is lol, and 32 is the new shit. The MHz wars ended a long time ago. Let the core wars begin.

Damn - this is a good time for me to be planning top upgrade. I can't really say I need 32 cores, but I do. I could easily replace all of my servers and have better performance than I do now - plus, my electric bill would go down some.
Yeah, a 32-core TR VM server would be a good value, or even a dual-socket dual Epyc 16c (32c total) server for future upgrade ability for $2200 would be nice (there are dual-socket boards on amazon for ~$800, and 16c epyc costs $600-800).

wccft is saying there will be a 24 core version also. Has anyone seen what models are planned? I'm assuming we'll see a 12 and 16 core version too but I havent seen anything

they showed the 24 core version in that video along with the 32 core version at the very end at the last tech show.. my guess is based on how the ccx's work, it'll most likely be 8 12 16 24 32 as the available options with the 8, 12, 16 being the same 2 die setup we currently have and the 24 and 32 being the quad die.

Last edited:
On a serious note I do like the fact that the TR4 socket seems to be going in the direction of a nice line of processor choices. It's still by far an enthusiast and niche socket, specially with the entry price of the motherboards. Yet it feels like its less of an "because we can" and more of a "we have given this some serious product planning" line of processors.

Maybe I need more than a gaming laptop for my man corner of our gaming room.

they showed the 24 core version in that video along with the 32 core version at the very end at the last tech show.. my guess is based on how the ccx's work, it'll most likely be 8 12 16 24 32 as the available options with the 8, 12, 16 being the same 2 die setup we currently have and the 24 and 32 being the quad die.
I can see them eliminating either the 8 or 12 core SKU. Just seems like too many products. Most people bought the 16 core part anyway.

Just speculation though. I wonder if people are still interested in the 8 core part. Time will tell.

It occurred to me that if they can put something like the 1950x in the PS5 or the next Xbox - as these new monster chips drive the prices down on the previous gen chips — just think what the next round of console games will be like!!!

I can see them eliminating either the 8 or 12 core SKU. Just seems like too many products. Most people bought the 16 core part anyway.

Just speculation though. I wonder if people are still interested in the 8 core part. Time will tell.
If intel can still find a market with a popular dual core pentium like the g4560 then there is plenty of room in the stable for 4,6,8,10 core etc. heck think how many people on these forums even recently bough the Ryzen 7 1600 chip. I see that in signatures and build threads very often.

The idea of the 32 core / 64 thread available at high end consumer prices just really blows my mind compared to what we had before last year. Way to go AMD.

Back