AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX 32 Core sTR4 Boxed Processor

Discussion in '[H]ot|DEALS' started by TheHig, Aug 6, 2018.

1. TheHig

TheHig Limp Gawd

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2018
  2. vegeta535

vegeta535 2[H]4U

3. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

Honestly, once you think about getting a reliable tech out to you, this really is not that much of a cost.

4. trentchau

trentchau [H]ard|Gawd

Echo'ing what Kyle said. For the premium this is, the clients who could use it, you could probably charge a pretty decent amount of consulting hours to install the cpu and also explain the perks, benefits, and also testing for it in the home or office environment it would go in. But just the cost of having someone go out would be at least 2 hours of work, and $85 is below average imho.

McCHillin and /dev/null like this.
  5. Zinn

Zinn Pronouns: ze, zis, zit

Yeah $85 is kind of low to deal with whatever cut Amazon takes off the top plus going to someone's filthy cat-piss soaked apartment and listen to them ramble about their extreme gaming build as you try not to destroy their TR4 motherboard that they helpfully pre-installed into a plastic Antec case from 2008.

McCHillin, N4CR, pendragon1 and 12 others like this.
  6. /dev/null

/dev/null [H]ardForum Junkie

If Amazon installer bends the pins while installing the CPU, will they cover motherboard replacement?

7. TheHig

TheHig Limp Gawd

I too wonder how the professional install works. Also agree that 85 isn’t too expensive.

In my 5 years as a Cable Service Tech... Can relate. So much piss of all varieties.

Office Job is tough for someone who likes to be on the move but have yet to encounter any piss where it’s shouldn’t be expected.

Thanks for fixing my first post mods!

auntjemima likes this.
  8. trentchau

trentchau [H]ard|Gawd

I'll be honest, I absolutely miss field work. Mostly as a minority in the deep south. I'm not denying racism exist, but when you deal with people of all cultures on a one on one basis, and you are out their to fix their problems, you soon find that people are joy to be around (or not, depending on your personality). I helped fix the compaq of a former Klans man and he had some really interesting history. Before I left he actually said he wished there were more people like me around where he was so he wouldn't have grown up with the intolerance he had when he was young. It was really eye opening.

But piss, shit, messes...etc. You aren't American if you don't have a family member who's a hoarder :)

9. tacos4me

tacos4me Gawd

Well, time for an upgrade I guess.

10. Fleat

Fleat Gawd

I really want this to replace the current 16 core / 32 thread Xeon that I am using in my main server, but I really can't justify it. My bottleneck really isn't CPU cores or power - it is memory which still needs to come down in price.

I may end up picking it up just for some fun at some point though.

11. Mav451

Mav451 [H]ardness Supreme

trentchau That's not the story I expected to find in a Threadripper...thread :p
    Ngl - kinda mad I missed that $249 1920x deal.

auntjemima and trentchau like this.
  12. Ski

Ski Gawd

What is the function of your server currently?

13. auntjemima

auntjemima Hand Jobs Legend

It serves things.

kirbyrj, sonyman, oblox and 2 others like this.
  14. Ski

Ski Gawd

Can it fuck over the alimony payments that I owe my ew-wife?

15. auntjemima

auntjemima Hand Jobs Legend

If. Fucking. Only.

16. trick_m0nkey

trick_m0nkey I jump for cash, bitch!

And I would hate to be the field tech they send out to install hardware into a consumer device in their home for only $85. Never again.

17. Deadjasper

Deadjasper [H]ard|Gawd

I suspect said tech is a Geek Squad tech. I don't think an independent would do it for $85 unless maybe he was still living with mommy and daddy.

18. NKD

NKD [H]ardness Supreme

Meh I am not sure about that. It could be an easy side job for someone. Even after Amazon commission you can walk away with 50-60 dollars for installing just the CPU. That’s not bad for 10 min job. Let’s say it takes you an hour overall drive time or what not. Still 60 bucks an hour lol. I have thought about advertising on amazon but I am too busy with my full time job.

19. trick_m0nkey

trick_m0nkey I jump for cash, bitch!

I would be curious to know what a gig like that would net you, but from my previous life of a on site tech for consumers...it's never just a 10 min job.

Deadjasper likes this.
  20. NKD

NKD [H]ardness Supreme

I was just talking about cpu install. Install itself shouldn’t take long. Yea. I don’t expect it to take more than an hour though.