AMD Ryzen Gen 2 Processors and Motherboards Available for Pre-Order Today

A 200 mhz bump with no ipc gain is drool worthy to you o.0?
10% clock speed jump with reduced cross core cache latency. While not earth shaking, it puts a LOT more pressure on Intel. So we have reduced cache latency and more cores, faster clocks, lower competitive price, no meltdown and spectre bug. Add in an enthusiast community who has been starved for years by Intel, I would say that's a recipe for more Tums at Intel

10% clock speed jump with reduced cross core cache latency. While not earth shaking, it puts a LOT more pressure on Intel. So we have reduced cache latency and more cores, faster clocks, lower competitive price, no meltdown and spectre bug. Add in an enthusiast community who has been starved for years by Intel, I would say that's a recipe for more Tums at Intel

Uh what? That's definitely incorrect.

Uh what? That's definitely incorrect.

AMD made a statement that Zen2 would have both fixes for spectre and meltdown baked in. The bug has been known about since July 2017. Plenty of time for a spin revision.

And 8 physical cores on Ryzen versus Intel. You can get the same or more cores from Intel, but you pay through the nose for it.

AMD made a statement that Zen2 would have both fixes for spectre and meltdown baked in. The bug has been known about since July 2017. Plenty of time for a spin revision.

And 8 physical cores on Ryzen versus Intel. You can get the same or more cores from Intel, but you pay through the nose for it.

I'm sorry if I'm being obtuse, but it's gotten very confusing with Ryzen generations...

Is it confirmed that the 2600, 2600x etc are Ryzen 2 with the bugs fixed?

I'm sorry if I'm being obtuse, but it's gotten very confusing with Ryzen generations...

From my understanding it won't be "fixed" till Zen 2 architecture is released.

At this point "fixed" is all I'm giving cpu manufacturers when it comes to spectre.

From my understanding it won't be "fixed" till Zen 2 architecture is released.

At this point "fixed" is all I'm giving cpu manufacturers when it comes to spectre.

So these CPUs are not Zen 2?

Actually the roadmap called it Zen+. But yes it's fixed. True Zen 2 is down the road. But Zen+ does fix it.

Spectre and Meltdown are not hardware fixed in this release.

Are we really placing preorders based on wccftech?!

I'll be watching real reviews closely. My 5960x randomly reboots every few days... might just do a complete rebuild. I was impressed with the Ryzen 1400 so am open to a high performing big brother for my main rig.

If I get a doable 4.3ghz 2700x, that would be a 8% increase in clock speed + 2% IPC -> Is it really worth $329 for 10%? Now it would allow the better 1700x to go into the HTPC machine, so two upgrades for the price of one. As for the X470 chipset, I just don't see anything significant in upgrading there.

So Asus making some boards real cheap.. so cheap they come with USB 2 ports.. really? USb 2?

TUF X470-PLUS GAMING w/ DDR4 2666, 7.1 Audio, Dual M.2, Gigabit LAN, CrossFireX

https://www.asus.com/microsite/motherboard/AMD-X470/

Ands with 1 PCIe x16 @ x4 max?
1 x PCIe 3.0 x16
(@x16 or @x8 )
1 x PCIe 2.0 x16
(max. @x4)

Heck, even Asus expensive boards are throwing in 2 x USB 2 ports.. for this price...wow
ROG Crosshair VII Hero w/ DDR4 2666, 7.1 Audio, Dual M.2, Gigabit LAN
https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX71506

So Asus making some boards real cheap.. so cheap they come with USB 2 ports.. really? USb 2?

TUF X470-PLUS GAMING w/ DDR4 2666, 7.1 Audio, Dual M.2, Gigabit LAN, CrossFireX

https://www.asus.com/microsite/motherboard/AMD-X470/

Ands with 1 PCIe x16 @ x4 max?
1 x PCIe 3.0 x16
(@x16 or @x8 )
1 x PCIe 2.0 x16
(max. @x4)

Heck, even Asus expensive boards are throwing in 2 x USB 2 ports.. for this price...wow
ROG Crosshair VII Hero w/ DDR4 2666, 7.1 Audio, Dual M.2, Gigabit LAN
https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX71506

My X399 board came with 2x USB2.0 ports, it's a pretty common thing. Useful for mice and keyboards

My X399 board came with 2x USB2.0 ports, it's a pretty common thing. Useful for mice and keyboards

I guess ya, not like they need super bandwidth, just figured for the USb2 that is another chip on the mobo for the controller vs just doing all USB 3 +

Having wireless keyboard and mice dongles connected to a USB 3.0 port has been shown to cause interference with the devices especially if they operate in the 2.4 GHz range, something about the fact that USB 3.0 uses that part of the frequency range. That's why a lot of motherboards still include USB 2.0 ports.

I never heard of that but I always felt there was something wrong with using usb 3.0 for my keyboard. I just didn't know what.

I guess ya, not like they need super bandwidth, just figured for the USb2 that is another chip on the mobo for the controller vs just doing all USB 3 +
It's not just about the bandwidth. USB 3.0 has an additional power spec outside of the 5V, 500mA standard. Many boards don't properly account for this and are poorly grounded (looking at you, Gigabyte).
Having wireless keyboard and mice dongles connected to a USB 3.0 port has been shown to cause interference with the devices especially if they operate in the 2.4 GHz range, something about the fact that USB 3.0 uses that part of the frequency range. That's why a lot of motherboards still include USB 2.0 ports.
Yup, interference in microwave circuit design has been an achilles heel for decades. (I have a rather large reference library on the topic that spans from the 1980s to late 2000s.) At the rate in which motherboards are developed to suit new chipsets and sockets, designers simply don't have the time or resources to invest in modelling a layout to circumvent (or isolate) various microwave frequency induced problems. USB 2.0 mostly avoids these concerns.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back