AMD Reportedly Launching B550 Motherboards Come June 16th

erek

[H]F Junkie
Nice mid-tier chipset, but where's the 6-series?

"The B550 chipset should thus become the new choice for users looking to build new systems on a budget; and part of the reason for AMD delaying the launch of this chipset as much as it has could certainly be an effort to increase revenues due to the X570's higher ASP. It's expected that B550 motherboards will be had for higher pricing than AMD's previous mainstream B450 motherboards, though, due to increased costs with improved I/O and the additional requirements for PCIe 4.0 wiring. Considering AMD's X570-based motherboards can be had from the $150 barrier upwards, it's likely (via an educated guess only) that B550 will occupy the $90-$150 range."

https://www.techpowerup.com/265930/amd-reportedly-launching-b550-motherboards-come-june-16th

AMD releasing the lower end chipset for each gen later than the high end one is one my few gripes with Ryzen.

When I was building a PC for friend recently X570 was complete overkill for a 3600 and while manufacturers for B450 boards were already shipping most models of boards with a BIOS that supported Zen 2 the online retailers were still occasionally sending out boards with the old BIOS. It added a lot of unnecessary hassles to a system that otherwise was an attractive bang/buck setup.

Seems like a joke for AMD and motherboard partners to release B550 almost a year after the release of the 3000 series, hopefully less of a wait for the B650. Build a Ryzen 3600 using Gigabyte B450i mobo, while the BIOS version I had did support the 3600, still need to do a BIOS update to fixed this sluggish issue I was having. I get it is not a guarantee if B550 was release at the same time as the Ryzen 3000 series that I won't still see the issue but at least I feel bit more confidant they have tested it more than the B450i.

Whatever. I have no plans to upgrade. I literally just upgraded my system to b450 3 weeks ago or so. I doubt there are many real-world benefits to B550 over B450.

Is it too early to think they were waiting for final microcode for Zen 3 out of the box compatibility?

Yeah, seems pretty late to the party... No pcie 4.0, not much upgrade over a 450. I mean, at least you had all the 450/470 options, and low end x570's can be found like $115... So not crazy.

Yeah, seems pretty late to the party... No pcie 4.0, not much upgrade over a 450. I mean, at least you had all the 450/470 options, and low end x570's can be found like $115... So not crazy.
Um, wut?

This will mark the first time PCIe 4.0 will be available in a mainstream-geared platform and chipset; until now, users looking for more cost-effective builds to support their Ryzen CPUs had to make do without PCIe 4.0 support with a motherboard from previous generations, since the feature was only available on the (more expensive) X570 motherboards.

Also, the TPU folks didn't post the source article link, so here it is: https://wccftech.com/amd-b550-chipset-motherboards-ryzen-3000-cpus-launch-16th-june/

Last edited:
Like 8 months late but sure..... I guess. And by the time somebody actually gets a board with this chip to market everybody will have already moved to what ever chip we need for the new 4000 series while we all eagerly await bios updates to make the platform stable....

I'm not at all butthurt that my new EPYC server isn't stable not at all.

If only for the DRAM OC improvements, maybe it would be worth it.

My non-X470 CH7 boards clock RAM like crap =/

Um, wut?

Also, the TPU folks didn't post the source article link, so here it is: https://wccftech.com/amd-b550-chipset-motherboards-ryzen-3000-cpus-launch-16th-june/
Sorry, some reason I (mis)remembered the 550 not getting pcie4, so I wrote it off (especially since it wasn't coming out anytime soon anyways).

This is why, I was looking at the 550a OEM boards that did come out.. "We got to see revised B550A motherboards specifically developed for the OEM market but they are closer to the B450 chipset in design, offering limited PCIe Gen 4.0 capabilities". I thought this was going to be just like the OEM boards except for consumers, didn't realize they were actually verifying pcie 4 on them, so that's great news and thanks for the correction!

Seems like a joke for AMD and motherboard partners to release B550 almost a year after the release of the 3000 series, hopefully less of a wait for the B650. Build a Ryzen 3600 using Gigabyte B450i mobo, while the BIOS version I had did support the 3600, still need to do a BIOS update to fixed this sluggish issue I was having. I get it is not a guarantee if B550 was release at the same time as the Ryzen 3000 series that I won't still see the issue but at least I feel bit more confidant they have tested it more than the B450i.

I doubt you'll see a B650 chipset at all given that Zen 3 is rumored to be later this year and Zen 4 is DDR5. This is probably the last mid-range chipset for AM4.

If only for the DRAM OC improvements, maybe it would be worth it.

My non-X470 CH7 boards clock RAM like crap =/

I don't know. My non-Wifi CH7 would do 3600Mhz on the memory without any issues. Are you trying for higher than that?

I just hope some company makes a very good matx mobo

I would think you'll see a lot more mATX and mITX options available at more reasonable pricing (say between $100-125).

I haven't checked out hardware pricing in a good while but I was suprised to see how expensive the X570 motherboards are, why is for example ASRock X570 Taichi $100 more than I paid for Z370 Taichi? I know enthusiast and all that but X470 is also significantly cheaper.

Give me one that has Intel Ethernet, 1200/1220 audio codec, and a USB 3.2 Gen2 front header, for less than $150, and I'll buy. Otherwise will wait to see what 600 series has to offer.

It probably helped them sell more expensive systems but the high priced boards were actually what pushed me back to intel for my system. It made the price difference less in AMDs favor and I would have slightly better performance in games with intel. Had they pushed B550 with PCIe 4 out faster it would have been an unstoppable slam dunk and a no brainer.

Last edited:
Yeah thats kind of how I feel. They waited way to long. Now theres no point really. I just upgraded my system so... They needed to release B550 with the latest gen ryzens, then they would have sold tons.

Um, wut?

Strictly speaking (based on the rumors) B550 will not support PCIe 4.0, as in the chipset itself won't support PCIe 4.0 since the rumors currently point towards chipset lanes being upgraded form PCIe 2.0 (B450) to PCIe 3.0 (B550).

What really is going to happen is AMD will not restrict motherboards from supporting PCIe 4.0 via the CPU lanes. As opposed to artifically restricting them at the moment unless it is a x570 motherboard. Whether or not a motherboard can support PCIe 4.0 via current CPUs on the technical side depends on the motherboards construction and is not an actual limitation of non X570 chipsets.

I have a gripe with the double standard people held with that entire situation as you know if it were Intel there would've much more criticism about it. But since it was AMD instead the sentiment changed to AMD was protecting the consumer.

It's interesting to note that AMD itself made and sells higher margin X570 chipsets as opposed to the alternatives from Asmedia ;).

Yeah thats kind of how I feel. They waited way to long. Now theres no point really. I just upgraded my system so... They needed to release B550 with the latest gen ryzens, then they would have sold tons.

It's likely launching alongside Zen 2 APUs for the desktop.

I don't know. My non-Wifi CH7 would do 3600Mhz on the memory without any issues. Are you trying for higher than that?

I meant to say my boards that are not the CH7 (B450/other X470), clock RAM badly.

My X470 Ultra Gaming won't run 2 sticks of memory higher than 3000 (3000 16 18 18 36). With 4 sticks (due to the T Topology), I can do 3200 at looser timings (3200 16 19 19 36).
I was running my 3200 with slightly looser timings, and upon removing 2 sticks, the system immediately would not boot.

My B450 E can do 2 sticks of 16GB at 3200 C14 but no higher. 4 sticks, no go.

Only this CH7 has been impressive in clocking my memory, and it's not because I'm running a 3rd gen in it... I've run the 2700X in both the CH7 and in the B450.

With supposedly crappy sticks of AFR, I think I'm doing relatively well...
Stock - 3200, 16-18-18-36

Current - 3667 mhz @ 16-19-21-32
42 TRC, 496 TRFC (approx 270ns)

Last edited:
It probably helped them sell more expensive systems but the high priced boards were actually what pushed me back to intel for my system. It made the price difference less in AMDs favor and I would have slightly better performance in games with intel. Had they pushed B550 with PCIe 4 out faster it would have been an unstoppable slam dunk and a no brainer.
I feel like you're just making an excuse. The B450 (and x470) as well as lower end x570's are all reasonably priced. You can get a b450 for under $100 easy and it can run just about any AMD CPU. If you were looking at 3950x's, motherboard prices weren't your biggest concern. You can still get a well performing x570 for $150... If that's to rich for your purse, you weren't going to pay $$$ on any pcie 4.0 equipment anyways... So why not drop down to a b450 or x470? High end Intel boards are expensive too, but saying that you couldn't afford a pcie 4.0 board from AMD so you went Intel, which doesn't even offer 4.0 or any sort of upgrade path is just silly. Just say you bought Intel because it was a decent deal and you wanted it. You didn't buy Intel with pcie 3.0 knowing their next cpu will be incompatible, that isn't any better than buying an AMD 3.0 board, except if you got a b450 you probably could get at least one more generation out if it, even if no pcie 4.0 (which isn't all that useful for 99.9% of people).
Anyways, I do agree I wish they came out sooner, but I have a b450 and it works just fine. Doubt I'll upgrade as pcie 4.0 does very little in my case (and in most cases). Probably upgrade my CPU or hand down to some other use when the 4000 series comes out and be happy with the performance upgrade.

I'd also say that AMD CPUs benifit more from fast RAM than Intel CPUs so not only will motherboards sometimes cost more, so will the RAM.

I'd also say that AMD CPUs benifit more from fast RAM than Intel CPUs so not only will motherboards sometimes cost more, so will the RAM.
Yeah, but... I mean, a 3600 beats a 9600k... You had to spend $10 more on ram and saved $50 on the CPU plus another $15 on a cheap a$$ cooler. I really don't understand some of these arguments. Also, zen2 has been shown by multiple reviewers to not be as needy with ram speeds like zen/zen+. If $10 difference in ram cost makes you to buy a 20% slower CPU for $20+ more... And still have to spend another $15-$20 on a cooler, maybe you need to reasses your budget and/or math. There ARE specific reasons to go with Intel sometimes, but these excuses like extra money for ram or MB are not them.

Back