AMD Radeon RX 580 PowerColor Red Devil Golden Sample

Discussion in 'AMD Flavor' started by Kyle_Bennett, Apr 18, 2017.

1. sirmonkey1985

sirmonkey1985 [H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2010

??? cheapest one is 417 dollars..

2. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett HardOCP MasterChef Editor Staff Member

The 500 series is putting the 400 series out to pasture. The 480 is officially EOL. No mas...

So the 1080Ti dumped the DVI on the backplate, which is awesome for exhausting heat, but NVIDIA does include a DP to DVI dongle. Would like to see other cards with blower type fans follow suit.

Not this week. Those are back to being very expensive.

Armenius likes this.
  3. trentchau

trentchau Gawd

What I don't get is the on paper price cuts are $10 less but 480s have been going as low as $140_$175 for the 4g and 8g. This just seems all do unneeded but oh well. As mentioned before it's not amd or Nvidias first time doing something like this. Just wish amd would you know have done something better to combine with their pretty cool release of ryzen.

4. Michaelius

Michaelius [H]ardness Supreme

Nvidia haven't really done that since Kepler and when they did price generally got lower.

Refreshes to reset street pricing are AMD speciality.

Armenius and trentchau like this.
  5. YeuEmMaiMai

YeuEmMaiMai [H]ardForum Junkie

Got mine on order...

Edit what I meant to say is I got my 580 on order, went with a Gigabyte as it was $20 cheaper at the time...

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017 at 10:31 AM
  6. noko

noko 2[H]4U

Loved the inclusion of VR with the review - makes this particular view very forward looking and pushing towards the future. DX 12 tests also was spot on. Man I really hope all GPU reviews will include some VR tests - extremely important technology going forward.

Looking forward to the upcoming OC version of the review with the 1060 and 580 maxed out.

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  7. zalazin

zalazin Gawd

NO 580 for me. I remember the power issues with the 480 and the Fact that there were NO windows 8.1 drivers for the 480 on RELEASE day. Two weeks later I got an email saying there were beta drivers a available. However I had just gotten an RMA from Newegg for store credit. Bought a Skylake I5 6500 with mobo and 16 gb ddr4. Bought a GTX 1070 from Best Buy on sale and left AMD forever. Amd never quite beats Nvidia, Might beat even Intel for a short time. However Nvidia and Intel both will always come back and crush AMD........

8. trentchau

trentchau Gawd

Aye. I just didn't wanna be called out for picking on AMD :)

9. thingi

thingi [H]Lite

Seems to me that even Global Foundries 'optimised process' still sucks in comparison with TSMC's similar node. I feel sorry for AMD, I'd love to see Ryzen & 580/Vega on a TSMC process just like Scorpio is. They would both give Nvidia and Intel migraines instead of a slight headache.

Global's heat/leakage/clockspeed wall sucks for poor old' AMD.

10. Stinkfist

Stinkfist [H]ard|Gawd

I think this is the important part, right? Been around here long enough to remember when the awards started to be a thing, and I always thought the graphic was stupid to begin with. I want to know if I can take a pencil to the gpu and get a few more cores out of it, not if it got a silly silver [H].

11. Stinkfist

Stinkfist [H]ard|Gawd

Yeah, I feel like I'm in the same boat here. Feel like they missed a chance with the Ryzen release, the 480 and 580 are great and all but the 580 would have to be significantly cheaper than the 1060, by say 50 to 70 bucks, to be significant to me. Just think of the hype of a r5 and 580 rig being that cheap.

trentchau likes this.
  12. Kyle_Bennett

I will tell you this very plainly. We have awards because nearly every single manufacturers wants those for marketing.

13. Singularity_Survivor

Singularity_Survivor Limp Gawd

Yep, it matters a lot for manufacturers. And to be honest, if I'm torn between two products, the one with more awards could very well be a factor in my decision.

14. Singularity_Survivor

I've been reading stories about 480's successfully being bio flashed to 580's. Interesting..........

15. Stinkfist

Stinkfist [H]ard|Gawd

Yeah, was just reading the same thing. Not really surprising to be honest, it's essentially the same silicon. I'm not sure I would do it, as the 580 is the "optimized" version of the chip so it should theoretically handle the heat load better, but hey if it works and you can get the temperatures under control, why not?

16. Singularity_Survivor

Talk about bang for the buck. Buy an 8GB RX480 for around $170-180 and flash it with the 580's bio's.

Maybe this could be an [H] future project?

17. Nihilus1

Nihilus1 Limp Gawd

Even a 4gb Rx 480 flashed would do just as well as an 8gb 580 in 95% of situations. The Rx 470s can be flashed to a 570 as well.

18. Stinkfist

Stinkfist [H]ard|Gawd

Has anyone tested a 580 with a Ryzen? I'm seeing a bunch of reviews today but all of them with Intel cpus. I'm not implying that it will make a difference, but hey, you never know right?

19. sirmonkey1985

sirmonkey1985 [H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2010

yeah i know the 480's eol but i really don't game as much as i use to so it's more than enough for what i do. but if the overclocking turns out to be worth a damn with the 580 once you're able to get that article out then maybe i'll just spend the money on the 580 instead.

agree with the DP to DVI dongle but aren't the active ones still expensive for resolutions over 1200p?

20. cybereality

cybereality [H]ard|Gawd

I actually don't have a problem with rebrands. I bought a 280X coming from the 6870 and I was happy with it. They are mostly targeting people that skipped one or two generations and are looking for a new thing to upgrade to.

21. Kyle_Bennett

Why would we spend resources on that? That is what the HardForum is for.

Armenius, KazeoHin and Brackle like this.
  22. Kyle_Bennett

Yeah. AMD has been doing this for a year now..targeting its new products for upgrades from 380s. Yawn.

Armenius and cybereality like this.
  23. Brackle

Brackle Old Timer

Don't get me wrong I wish for AMD to do well, but these 580's. Some of which go for $270 are way overpriced. I would rather get a Used 980ti.....Seriously way overpriced IMO.

Specially now since you can flash a 480 to a 580 lol.

24. chenw

chenw 2[H]4U

Fun fact:

RX 580 and GTX 580 consumes similar amount of power.

*goes back into a cave*

Simplyfun, Armenius and kalston like this.
  25. Brackle

Brackle Old Timer

I am reading that certain people have certain cards in their hands from AMD for a review coming up. Can you confirm or deny that you have the card, and is it a rebrand?

Edit: In case people were wondering why I am asking.

26. SighTurtle

SighTurtle Gawd

Thats just one person Brackle, wheres the rest?

27. Brackle

Brackle Old Timer

I figured ryan from anadtech was better than posting notable for posters who usually have hardware before release. So read the forums yourself.

Hint: dont just read American forums

28. Singularity_Survivor

29. Singularity_Survivor

The same reason you spent resources on delidding a 7700K? HardForum had done this several times before you did, just saying.

30. KazeoHin

KazeoHin [H]ardness Supreme

Skrew that. Flash a 470 to a 580. Go Hard or go Home

31. SighTurtle

SighTurtle Gawd

What? You want me to hunt around for the thing you saw?

Armenius likes this.
  32. Uvaman2

Uvaman2 Gawd

I've been trying to know if getting for example 2 580 4gb (about 400$ investment) in crossfire would give you a better value than a single 400$ card.
    Don't seem to find any review with crossfire number.. do they even work in crossfire anymore?

33. rgMekanic

rgMekanic [H]ard|Gawd

I'd go with the 8gb versions for not much more money, any resolution you're needing crossfire for will benefit for the extra ram as well.

As far as performance, I'm sure it'd be solid, in the games that are supporting mgpu anyhow

34. Kyle_Bennett

Interesting point. We asked AMD a few weeks ago to give us a list of CrossFire supported games, and it took weeks to get an answer. There is no such page on its website. They did finally get back to us in regards to the specific list of games we were using for testing.

Mass Effect: Andromeda > DX11 – 4K ~ 1.4x

Watch Dogs 2 > DX11 – 4K ~ 1.6x

Battlefield 1 > DX11 – 4k ~ 1.7x (depending on patch version, there could be intermittent stuttering/flickering in CF mode)

Fallout 4 DX11 > no known issues, decent scaling

GTA5 DX11 > 4k ~ 1.9x

Witcher 3 DX11 > no known issues, decent scaling

Doom > Vulkan does not support mGPU

Sniper Elite 4 DX12 > up to 2x scaling

The Division DX12 > 4K up to 1.6x scaling

Gears of War 4 DX12 > 4K up to 1.8x scaling

35. jardows

jardows Limp Gawd

Just popping back in here with a question for Kyle - another review site that had a couple different 580 and 570's measured noise, and were impressed with the apparently low noise from the cards. With the Golden Sample, did you perceive any difference in noise vs. other cards?

36. Edgar

Edgar 2[H]4U

Anyone one if the rx 550 does hvec decoding? If so could be a good htpc card for $80.

37. cptnjarhead

cptnjarhead Crossfit Fast Walk Champion Runnerup

I am so glad i decided on the 1060 6gb. It just seems strange we did not see a rx 490 first. The 580 seems a bit underwhelming.

38. cybereality

cybereality [H]ard|Gawd

Looks like it does:
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/3190...et-graphics-card-with-a-perplexing-price.html

39. d3athf1sh

d3athf1sh n00bie

they should have just called it RX480ti ??? (why not after the Ryzen i7 i5 & i3) (and I am AMD processor fanbot) c'mon AMD lets put it in gear!!! at least try and differentiate yourself from the competition.... (rebadging is SO retro Nvidia)